Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Naruto - Yu Yu Hakusho - One Peace - Dragon Ball Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bad Seafood posted:

Strong -> Stronger -> Strongest -> Strongester

Weaker than Saitama < Weaker than Saitama < Weaker than Saitama < Weaker than Saitama < Saitama

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Seafood posted:

Strong -> Stronger -> Strongest -> Strongester

Every problem in the world could easily be solved by applying Super Hexagon naming conventions.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm too young to die -> Hey, not too rough -> Hurt me plenty -> Ultra-Violence

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Something Awful Forums -> The Finer Arts -> VEGETA -> Onepunch-Man - The God of Comics has descended, and the poo poo just blew the gently caress up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rexides posted:

The Something Awful Forums -> The Finer Arts -> VEGETA -> Onepunch-Man - The Deity of Comics has descended, and the poo poo just blew the gently caress up

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brainamp posted:

Weaker than Saitama < Weaker than Saitama < Weaker than Saitama < Weaker than Saitama < Saitama

Casual slap < Normal punch < Normal Chain punch < Serious punch

deadly_pudding posted:

Is this one of those things where Christians co-opted the word "god" for their deity's name, and get pissy about it, or is it one of those things like screaming "FRICK" at the top of your lungs and acting like it doesn't have the exact same intent and meaning as screaming "gently caress"

I read some crazy poo poo on this website from time to time, but this is kinda peak pet peeve. I think I read somewhere that the Christian God's actual name is supposed to have the first two letters capitalized. So, GOd, not just God. It is still worth noting that God is then a name and god is a type of being. Deity is sort of what you use when referring to another religions gods beside the one you worship yourself, if I recall correctly.

Anyone learned in this stuff, please feel free to correct my misunderstandings here.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 20, 2015

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

why dragon gotta be stronger than demon? seems kinda arbitrary. maybe it's just me but i'd imagine a demon would be scarier/stronger.

I think the important part is that the Hero Association would have spent a good week figuring out the names for these levels and then about 2 minutes working out how to rank monsters into them

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Can you elaborate why?

so that it acronyms to Todd

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Weren't there 5 levels of danger?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There's wolf below tiger.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Child Emperor joked that a certain monster should be Wolf level instead of Tiger but I don't think it's a real level.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Mordaedil posted:

I read some crazy poo poo on this website from time to time, but this is kinda peak pet peeve. I think I read somewhere that the Christian God's actual name is supposed to have the first two letters capitalized. So, GOd, not just God. It is still worth noting that God is then a name and god is a type of being. Deity is sort of what you use when referring to another religions gods beside the one you worship yourself, if I recall correctly.

Anyone learned in this stuff, please feel free to correct my misunderstandings here.
God and deity both mean the same thing, the latter's just the ~fancier~ term.

The Judeo-Christian "God" is referred to as such because when there's really only one god anyway, is there really a need to differentiate them from anybody? The Jewish "YHWH" is derived from the passage in Exodus where God tells Moses "I am that I am." When Moses is asking what god he should say is backing him up when he stands before the pharaoh, he gets told "Tell them the god who is sent you," as in the god who is real verses the Egyptian gods who implicitly are not (real) and hold no power.

Tangentially, "Allah" is simply the Arabic word for god and is used both by Muslims and Arabic-speaking Christians (and possibly Jews, not 100% sure).

Serious post end. Back to watching dudes get chumped in one punch.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

RatHat posted:

Child Emperor joked that a certain monster should be Wolf level instead of Tiger but I don't think it's a real level.

It's on the chart everywhere I look so until someone comes up with a convincing counter-argument I, as the OP of this thread and thus the absolute ruling power, decree it to be so

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wolf is real and for the shittest of monsters.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

deadly_pudding posted:

Can you elaborate why? An Ogre (Oni) is a variety of demon in Japan, and "deity" is just a synonym for "god".

Oni are usually depicted these days as wearing tiger skins for clothing to show how swole they are, so an Oni would just logically be stronger than a tiger.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AtomikKrab posted:

Wolf is real and for the shittest of monsters.

I bet that car guy was Wolf.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Full opening.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Also, just to chime in quickly, God level probably exists because, in Japanese mythology, gods aren't omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent beings and fighting/killing them is very much possible in their legends, but would be a herculean task. Also, it is interesting to think that Boros was a god level threat and, unless I'm misremembering, was just able to not get one hit by Saitama. They should invent a new level for a Saitama level threat. Probably called it "a You're Just Plain hosed" threat.

It's not bad and I love the cover image for the album (assuming that is the cover image), but I think the TV edit is better, personally speaking.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That would require official acknowledgement of Saitama's strength, which would be bad.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Also, just to chime in quickly, God level probably exists because, in Japanese mythology, gods aren't omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent beings and fighting/killing them is very much possible in their legends, but would be a herculean task. Also, it is interesting to think that Boros was a god level threat and, unless I'm misremembering, was just able to not get one hit by Saitama. They should invent a new level for a Saitama level threat. Probably called it "a You're Just Plain hosed" threat.

Boros managed to not get oneshotted by Saitama when Saitama was pulling his punches Then he got oneshotted when Satama didn't pull his punches quite as much.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Also, there's only one Saitama-level threat, and he's already named.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Also, there's only one Saitama-level threat, and he's already named.

Yeah, I hope we see that mosquito again at some point.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Covok posted:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Boros managed to not get oneshotted by Saitama when Saitama was pulling his punches Then he got oneshotted when Satama didn't pull his punches quite as much.

I thought Boros took a full shot but had some BS regeneration ability that basically gave him two lives.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Saitama doesn't use "Serious Punch" until Boros uses his planet destroying laser attack. The result is that splash page where you see the clouds split over the entire hemisphere, and Boros' monologue as he lays dying. (It's the one that ends with him saying "Prophecies can't be trusted after all. You are way too strong.")

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 21, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That moment will be so amazing when it gets animated.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Crain posted:

I thought Boros took a full shot but had some BS regeneration ability that basically gave him two lives.
Saitama one-shotted Boros' armor which served as a power limiter. He could've just immediately punched him again and killed him but took pity on the guy's desire for a good fight and held back the entire time in an attempt to humor him.

I've read articles to the effect that a lot of people who struggle with depression enjoy making others laugh and smile because it's something they struggle with. All Saitama wants is a worthy foe and Boros can't possibly deliver, but since Boros came all this way looking for a fight Saitama tries his best to at least make him happy.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 21, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That's why a ton of comedians are people who struggle with extreme depression. :smith:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Depression is the strongest monster

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

You can't defeat with a punch, but with actually the power of friendship.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm a little confused. I was trying to get caught up on the manga and it seemed like the same scene played out twice and differently. It's the scene where Saitama is backstage during the martial arts tournament and meets the former senior of the guy he's impersonating. There is one version where he accidentally pisses him off and fights him and one versions where they have a nice chat. It's kind of weird. Normally, I chock stuff like this up to the fact that the reading order tends to get messed up with this comic because people put decimal places in the chapter numbers, but this is something different.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Murata remade that chapter. The later one is canon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I got the feeling it was some kind of redo. I'm starting to read ONE now to get more of the story. I get the feeling the martial arts tournament isn't in one.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Casual slap < Normal punch < Consecutive Normal Punches < Normal Chain punch < Serious punch

Fixed that for you

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Covok posted:

I got the feeling it was some kind of redo. I'm starting to read ONE now to get more of the story. I get the feeling the martial arts tournament isn't in one.

Nope, it's filler. Manga filler.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Nope, it's filler. Manga filler.

Such a weird concept, but makes complete sense. It is an adaptation of a parallel running work.

How substantial are the differences between ONE and One Punch Man.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bad Seafood posted:

Saitama one-shotted Boros' armor which served as a power limiter. He could've just immediately punched him again and killed him but took pity on the guy's desire for a good fight and held back the entire time in an attempt to humor him.

I've read articles to the effect that a lot of people who struggle with depression enjoy making others laugh and smile because it's something they struggle with. All Saitama wants is a worthy foe and Boros can't possibly deliver, but since Boros came all this way looking for a fight Saitama tries his best to at least make him happy.

AnonSpore posted:

That's why a ton of comedians are people who struggle with extreme depression. :smith:

Bernardo Orel posted:

Depression is the strongest monster

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You can't defeat with a punch, but with actually the power of friendship.

Well that got real sad, real fast.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Covok posted:

Such a weird concept, but makes complete sense. It is an adaptation of a parallel running work.

The chapters based on ONE's version are almost identical panel by panel. Murata's version just changed the design of a few enemies a little and added some side-stories(and this filler arc). Keep in mind the extra stuff is still written by ONE.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Covok posted:

Not very. There's an occasional extra thing in the Murata version but every part of the ONE version is adapted faithfully, it doesn't skip anything. In a way, the Murata version is just a bit of an expansion on what's already there (while looking super gorgeous.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I've read articles to the effect that a lot of people who struggle with depression enjoy making others laugh and smile because it's something they struggle with.

I've worked with people with it in the past and this is essentially bang on the money. It's not a universal truth, but the way I see it is if there's something missing that's essentially taken for granted, it takes people who don't have that to recognise its true value.