Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So the same thought I have behind Seafoam. As in, it would be a million times better to clean manually, but a light petroleum solvent running through can do a lot by itself, especially in an engine that is hard to open up (like a lot of 90's cars) is better than nothing. I love how when I first seafoam'd my dad's 83 Ranger it made a gigantic black cloud, but subsequent seafoaming created nothing except the white cloud of the seafoam itself burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

some texas redneck posted:

How many miles were on that thing?

.... and please tell me Mopar doesn't use Champion as their OEM plugs. :stonk:

Chrysler's purchasing department has way more clout than they should, let's just say that.

Other OEMs also use Champion but the one case I'm familiar with, it seems like they regret that decision. A lot.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just assumed they dumped a bottle of gumout in the tank and charged $80

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-20/truck-smashes-into-tunnel-roof-on-parkes-way-in-canberra/6868684

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

tater_salad posted:

That'd be nice, the actual procedure stinks up the shop a lot more. Induction service is legit-ish; I feel more indignant over stuff like a $180 headlamp polish that pays half an hour and uses $7 worth of tiny one-shot stripper and sealant cups and a paper towel.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

tater_salad posted:

We do that one too - but charge $10 for it. The front guys are supposed to recommend it every 5k.

The real fuel system cleaning setup is pretty fancy. It's not just suck it with a vacuum line like with Seafoam. The tool is like an IV drip, you hang it from the hood latch, dump the bottle of magic in, and set it to drip over the course of like 30 minutes of idling. Run it through too hard and you can cause the car to bog down and throw codes!

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

0toShifty posted:

We do that one too - but charge $10 for it. The front guys are supposed to recommend it every 5k.

The real fuel system cleaning setup is pretty fancy. It's not just suck it with a vacuum line like with Seafoam. The tool is like an IV drip, you hang it from the hood latch, dump the bottle of magic in, and set it to drip over the course of like 30 minutes of idling. Run it through too hard and you can cause the car to bog down and throw codes!

Speaking of the IV bottle does anyone know where you can buy one if you aren't a shop. I have been trying to find for a while now and no luck.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Take out out on the interstate get it good and hot, and add a pencil stream of water in the intake at about half throttle and it will flake all that carbon off.

( last one I did this on was a TBI Chevrolet, don't know if i would on modern stuff)

works well for tractors too

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Speaking of cleaning. What is you guys thoughts on this whole carbon buildup crap with DI engines?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

tater_salad posted:

No no, they put a gallon 93 octane with Shells patented buildup fighting additives™ built in. Because more expensive gas is better! :pseudo:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Shell gas has made everything I've ever put it in feel like it lost 5% power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

Shell gas has made everything I've ever put it in feel like it lost 5% power.

Rotella would like a word with you :colbert:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

sirnollem posted:

Speaking of the IV bottle does anyone know where you can buy one if you aren't a shop. I have been trying to find for a while now and no luck.

I found this site: http://www.qmimo.com/3-qmi-3-step-fuel-system-cleaning-kit/

QMI is the company that makes the stuff.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Rotella would like a word with you :colbert:

Rotella may be good oil, but I have friends that work at a research lab that avoid Shell gasoline for reasons other than the butt dyno.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

0toShifty posted:

I found this site: http://www.qmimo.com/3-qmi-3-step-fuel-system-cleaning-kit/

QMI is the company that makes the stuff.

Awesome, thanks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Rotella may be good oil, but I have friends that work at a research lab that avoid Shell gasoline for reasons other than the butt dyno.

Why would that be? for curiosities sake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of cleaning. What is you guys thoughts on this whole carbon buildup crap with DI engines?

I've had moderate success with 'ac delco combustion chamber cleaner' which, as far as I can tell, is the equivalent to seafoam in an aerosol can. Spray it in a convenient vacuum line while keeping the revs above stalling, then take the car for a blat and watch the magical bus-sized cloud of smoke come out. I've had this work on both GDI engines and gummed up conventional lumps.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Why would that be? for curiosities sake.

Not Shell, but I have heard that Texaco (Chevron) gasoline caused sludging in certain Saab engines (B205, B235) because of certain contaminants, the dealers told people to avoid this brand and of course GM was sued into orbit in the early 2000s to stop telling people this.

The problem was fixed in the end by modifying the sump ventilation system (mod 6), but black sludge remains a very stubborn concern to this day with people who stubbornly keep driving Saab (ha!)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Inconsistent composition between samples, stuff like the API specific gravity varying more than it should, dirty engines when other brands don't get filthy, etc. I don't remember all the specifics because I was drunk at a party when this came up and a graybeard started his own rant about how he got the lab to stop using Shell gasoline for their gas engine tests. They test oil formulations under varying running conditions, they probably know their poo poo.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have any scientific tests ever found meaningful differences between brands of gas? A number of media and consumer organizations have paid for tests that found no differences, which is consistent with what we know about the fuel industry, so it doesn't seem reasonable to put much stock in rumors from friends-of-friends.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Yet more failures from Facebook.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alereon posted:

Have any scientific tests ever found meaningful differences between brands of gas? A number of media and consumer organizations have paid for tests that found no differences, which is consistent with what we know about the fuel industry, so it doesn't seem reasonable to put much stock in rumors from friends-of-friends.

I don't really think so.
I did talk to a guy who analyses fuels for a different purpose (arson investigation) who said that generally they were indistinguishable chemically, though you could tell what region they were from because of the different additive requirements.

I have heard that techron is actually legit, but you need to add more than cheveron ads.

The biggest difference is in cleanliness of tanks and the like.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Shell owns their own refineries, similarly the brand I prefer, Valero, does too. There are definitely quantifiable differences between brands: I once had a job which included access to refinery lab data as part of software troubleshooting requirements, different brands have different specific gravities, vapor pressure, flashpoints; not huge differences, as there are ranges they need to be in, but this was also close to ten years ago. I would like to see the methodology that any news studio used, because I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up testing the output of just one refinery and didn't know what gas station chains used different refiners/additives.

You're going to burn thousands of gallons in your car's engine, minor differences will add up.

Part of why it's hard to get an aircraft type certified for road gas is due to the varying quality of road gas, especially concerning vapor pressure.

The petroleum industry knows how to tell them apart, for sure, and it's not just the additive packages.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's not until I read that that I realized that me and the folks around me still call it Shamrock, and not Valero.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm sure these made quite the noise.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

EightBit posted:

Shell owns their own refineries, similarly the brand I prefer, Valero, does too.

Too bad they all pump their gas into the same pipelines.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

EightBit posted:

Shell owns their own refineries, similarly the brand I prefer, Valero, does too...

From a practical standpoint, none of this matters at all to a consumer since your whole post relies on the assumption that a particular brand of gas comes from a refinery owned/operated by that particular company.

Just because the gas station says "SHELL" on it doesn't mean the gas was refined at a Shell refinery. Retail fuel marketing is generally handled completely separately from refining. A town might have one fuel terminal facility (where the gas stations buy their gas wholesale) that serves several different brands of gas station. Generally speaking, the only difference between two different gas station brands in a given area is the additives that the terminal adds to the gas at the point of sale. I've put together SPCC plans and FRPs (federal oil spill prevention plans) for terminal facilities that stock additives for half a dozen different brands of gas like Chevron/Texaco, Amoco/BP, ConocoPhillips, Sinclair, Sunoco, etc. These things can typically serve dozens of gas stations for a relatively large area, and may get their gas from a refining company that you have never heard of (to name a few of the ones with less brand name recognition: HollyFrontier, Flint Hills Resources, Western Refining, or any of the other small private refiners that dot the country).

The tl;dr is that you really shouldn't put too much weight on the brand you're buying if you're worried about the quality of gas that a particular company's refineries put out, it's all mostly the same stuff in any given region (minus the additives).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Lightbulb Out posted:

Homemade oil pan? Out of brass?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

Homemade oil pan? Out of brass?

That's zinc plated steel. Probably for corrosion resistance. Moroso and others make a bunch of aftermarket pans that look like that; I guess it's possible that it's custom, but I don't know how a homemade deal would get plated like that.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Guys it was just a joke about nonsensical marketing being sold as an actual solution. :(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
From 2 minutes on summit racing I'm going to guess that is a ford engine and a moroso pan.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

My mom's 07 CX7 had terrible pinging thanks to that and no cleaner would fix it. I brought it over to my uncle's shop and his advice was to trade it in because he was gonna have to rebuild the whole top end for the most part. It had been having the issue for at least a year though before my mom finally asked me to take a look at it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

jamal posted:

From 2 minutes on summit racing I'm going to guess that is a ford engine and a moroso pan.

Correct. This came out of a Panoz Esperante that the guy races. I believe the flywheel I posted earlier came from that car as well.

*edit

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 21, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

FatCow posted:

Too bad they all pump their gas into the same pipelines.

This. My brother worked at the Richmond CA refinery. The gasoline delivery trucks with the different brand names all pump from the same tanks at the refinery. What additives are done in addition are where the differences lie, but fuel quality and additive amount is so tightly regulated that it doesn't matter anymore. 20 years ago that wasn't the case, but with air quality management being what it is at least here in CA it all comes off the same spigot. Googling around doesn't reveal much real information about it either so between that and the security measures (like no cell phone cameras) at the refinery I'm inclined to believe it's part of oil companies controlling market perception rather than anything substantive.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

smax posted:

From a practical standpoint, none of this matters at all to a consumer since your whole post relies on the assumption that a particular brand of gas comes from a refinery owned/operated by that particular company.

Just because the gas station says "SHELL" on it doesn't mean the gas was refined at a Shell refinery. Retail fuel marketing is generally handled completely separately from refining. A town might have one fuel terminal facility (where the gas stations buy their gas wholesale) that serves several different brands of gas station. Generally speaking, the only difference between two different gas station brands in a given area is the additives that the terminal adds to the gas at the point of sale. I've put together SPCC plans and FRPs (federal oil spill prevention plans) for terminal facilities that stock additives for half a dozen different brands of gas like Chevron/Texaco, Amoco/BP, ConocoPhillips, Sinclair, Sunoco, etc. These things can typically serve dozens of gas stations for a relatively large area, and may get their gas from a refining company that you have never heard of (to name a few of the ones with less brand name recognition: HollyFrontier, Flint Hills Resources, Western Refining, or any of the other small private refiners that dot the country).

The tl;dr is that you really shouldn't put too much weight on the brand you're buying if you're worried about the quality of gas that a particular company's refineries put out, it's all mostly the same stuff in any given region (minus the additives).
Exactly.
This was in Minnesota which sources most gasoline from like two refineries. Out of state fuels with different blends were pretty recognizable and when one refinery went to a newer blend sooner than the other, it was noticeable.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lightbulb Out posted:

Correct. This came out of a Panoz Esperante that the guy races. I believe the flywheel I posted earlier came from that car as well.

*edit

Foshizzle Panizzle

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Didn't skip timing, somehow.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Sudo Echo posted:

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/3dlEFRVh.jpg[timg]

Didn't skip timing, somehow.

That's frickin amazing.

The water pump sprocket - slightly off center. So subtle. So HORRIBLE!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

0toShifty posted:

That's frickin amazing.

The water pump sprocket - slightly off center. So subtle. So HORRIBLE!

That's actually not the water pump, the WP is the one just to the right that isn't cogged.
I'm surprised it didn't jump, too but for other reasons. Usually the ball bearings getting out of the pulley go into the belt causing a jump long before that one comes off. Also, did the pulley melt a hole in the timing cover? That's another classic failure mode of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
And that is why you should always replace the idler pulleys (and water pump, because you're in there anyways) when doing an EJ timing belt.

Oh, and the tensioner.

And the goddamn cam seals... and crank seal.