Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

omg im going to spend the entire weekend just soloing 113 dawn over and over because gently caress it.

I can solo either form of dawn as smn on d/vd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

I can't wait to see what "Gooey Love" looks like. If it is a white colored slime, I am going to laugh.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Is....is that your leg?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Valle posted:

Is....is that your leg?

No it is my pimple ridden leg. I wish that the tattoo artist and myself were both sober, so maybe one of us could talk me out of getting that awful drawing.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

This will look like a horrible cancerous bruise in 5 years.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Do people buy accounts for this? Anyone want to buy one? I haven't logged in for a long time so I don't know what all the account has, but this should help:

http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Quetzalcoatl/Nishida

I know its a bit outdated on gear and stuff. If you are interested just let me know a reasonable offer and I'll probably accept.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The game is pretty much dead in just over a month, doubt anyone would bother buying an account now.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

frodnonnag posted:

This looks like a horrible cancerous bruise.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Still need Ochain/Aegis to tank anything relevant?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Need? No.

But nobody will take you anywhere without both due to everyone's "only the best or it's a waste of my time" mentality.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Eight-Six posted:

Still need Ochain/Aegis to tank anything relevant?

Ochain at level 90 and an Aegis are probably bare minimums for a pld tank that wants to be good at their job and get invited to end game stuff. Pld can get away with that Oborororororo JSE shield and maybe another shield. I do not play pld, so I might be wrong about this. Runefencers can tank, but you need a lot of the empy armor to make the job easier. I know you did not ask that, but I felt like saying it.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Gruknor posted:

Ochain at level 90 and an Aegis are probably bare minimums for a pld tank that wants to be good at their job and get invited to end game stuff. Pld can get away with that Oborororororo JSE shield and maybe another shield. I do not play pld, so I might be wrong about this. Runefencers can tank, but you need a lot of the empy armor to make the job easier. I know you did not ask that, but I felt like saying it.

I'm always interested in RUN tanking, but never really felt like it was wholly viable, however I did start nodding off about the time AF3 reforging was a thing, so it's good to know.

Also good to know that Savory Shanks are now sendable within account.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
RUN is a monster against mobs that do magical damage, and a lot of their abilities have high hate values so even though it doesn't seem like you're doing much to tank you actually are. It feels weird, like there's something you should be doing that you can't, but just ride it out.

Most event mobs are now almost entirely magical damage based, you'll be hard pressed to find a fight where it's all physical anymore, and there are even a lot of "breath" damage type moves showing up as well that don't count as physical or magical. The catch is that there's almost always one or two big tank busters of both kinds for each mob. This is why PLD pretty much "needs" an aegis, just to keep the damage manageable, and can sort of get away with one of the new block rate shields over an ochain (you'll really feel the loss of the mana regain though) but you'll be swapping between shields a lot mid fight which is why cure macros for gearswap are such a big thing in "high end" paladin play. It allows you to still get a lot of threat even though you will almost always be dumping your TP due to swapping shields. This mixed with the fact that damage threat modifiers got reduced significantly, but healing didn't, you practically have to play with them in order to not kill healers instantly.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gruknor posted:

To be actually wanted, you will need a Burtgang also.

Mythics too easy to make now and several PLD's have one. So really Aegis/Ochain/Burtgang or level GEO.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Kazy posted:

The game is pretty much dead in just over a month, doubt anyone would bother buying an account now.

what happens in that time

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Dubious posted:

what happens in that time

The last chapter of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel will be released sometime in November, and it's the last content update for FFXI as we know her. After that they'll still do some balance changes and probably keep doing login campaigns but that's all, just number arranging.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Game will thin out real fast when PS2 support ends at the end of the year. That basically kills off the JP playerbase.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

LiquidFriend posted:

Game will thin out real fast when PS2 support ends at the end of the year. That basically kills off the JP playerbase.

PS2 (and 360) support ends in March.

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Well, on the bright side when severs do eventually go dark, you can look forward to more SA nostalgia threads and who knows maybe even unofficial servers and clients a la Project 1999 for EverQuest.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Kazy posted:

PS2 (and 360) support ends in March.
Ah thought it was January. Haven't really kept up since LM31.

I'd say the game still thins out really fast by New Years. New content will be gone through by the end of the holidays and people will stop playing shortly after, especially if they can't play any longer in a few months.

I'd expect the servers to dwindle down to around 5 sometime in the summer.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

On3moresoul posted:

Well, on the bright side when severs do eventually go dark, you can look forward to more SA nostalgia threads and who knows maybe even unofficial servers and clients a la Project 1999 for EverQuest.

They already exist, though most are clunky and only have the first three expansions enabled. Though there is a huge push to get Wings fully put in recently. Playing with 3X Experience rates + Rings is pretty fun. Best feature so far I've seen on some servers is a fully stocked AH, players can put items in for lower prices but there will always be X item for a large price if needed.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Do these servers still have level-capped CoP areas? I know some servers are working on getting GEO/RUN in, and another has home point warping, so I'm not sure how much of the modern conveniences are around.

Basically I'd like to get my nuts crushed in a vice and do CoP The Hard Way at least once.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Eight-Six posted:

Do these servers still have level-capped CoP areas? I know some servers are working on getting GEO/RUN in, and another has home point warping, so I'm not sure how much of the modern conveniences are around.

Basically I'd like to get my nuts crushed in a vice and do CoP The Hard Way at least once.

As a person who did this: don't do this.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Suitaru posted:

As a person who did this: don't do this.

I get that a lot.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

What you have is called Stockholm syndrome. Stop defending your abuser, they are terrible.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Eight-Six posted:

I get that a lot.

I don't know you but I urge you for your own mental health to consider our advice

I still get grumpy over farming the Sacrarium key for four loving hours without a drop, giving up, and having one of us poshack through the door to open it for the rest of us

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Suitaru posted:

I don't know you but I urge you for your own mental health to consider our advice

I still get grumpy over farming the Sacrarium key for four loving hours without a drop, giving up, and having one of us poshack through the door to open it for the rest of us

I know what you mean. I am still bitter over the entire week worth of afternoons, I spent farming a glowing black stone in EQ1.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruknor posted:

I know what you mean. I am still bitter over the entire week worth of afternoons, I spent farming a glowing black stone in EQ1.

I spent a year pushing for dynamis tavnazia runs to get full relic +1. First run in my shell i missed, they did tav and my body dropped. Didn't see another until after the droprate changes. Im still bitter over that and the level 99 remake being able to skip +1ing the 75 originals. That and they ruined dynamis tavnazia in general with the level 99 redo, it removed so much fun quirky gimmicks. I guess i'm just super bitter about dynamis tavnazia in general.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Not having vertical progression for nearly 10 years was the worst part of FFXI.

Grinding salvage for months to complete one piece was the dumbest poo poo.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Not having vertical progression for nearly 10 years was the worst part of FFXI.

Grinding salvage for months to complete one piece was the dumbest poo poo.

I'm suprised you aren't having 'nam style flashbacks to being in the hole in mamook.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

I'm suprised you aren't having 'nam style flashbacks to being in the hole in mamook.
Trying hard to forget that ever happened tia

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

The one time I went on a cupper binge (which i got suspended for) it was for clipping through the doors to solo the toau beast kings and speed hacking a lot of the assaults.

worth every second of the suspension.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
My most major abuse of cupper was back when my install freaked the gently caress out about Legion and crashed the game, trapping my character for about a week until enough reinstalls somehow wiped things clean. In a fit of boredom and frustration I made a new character and immediately went crazy with the clippering, since I figured "If the GMs won't restore my character to a regular state, and I apparently can't recover him, I might as well have as much fun with this as possible until I'm banned." So I did poo poo like run as far up Drogaroga's Spine as I could (it stops being solid not very far up), did a couple laps around Zi'tah while the zone-enforcement timer ran out, poked around behind the Moon Gate, and eventually forced my way into Sky just to see if I could. Turns out the zoneline is about 300 yalms north of the teleporter, the You Are Here icon was way off my ApRadar minimap.

I think she's still there, if I cared to log back in.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 20, 2015

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

My most major abuse of cupper was back when my install freaked the gently caress out about Legion and crashed the game, trapping my character for about a week until enough reinstalls somehow wiped things clean. In a fit of boredom and frustration I made a new character and immediately went crazy with the clippering, since I figured "If the GMs won't restore my character to a regular state, and I apparently can't recover him, I might as well have as much fun with this as possible until I'm banned." So I did poo poo like run as far up Drogaroga's Spine as I could (it stops being solid not very far up), did a couple laps around Zi'tah while the zone-enforcement timer ran out, poked around behind the Moon Gate, and eventually forced my way into Sky just to see if I could. Turns out the zoneline is about 300 yalms north of the teleporter, the You Are Here icon was way off my ApRadar minimap.

I always wondered whether you could walk on top of Drogaroga's Spine.

It's been years since I played. I vaguely remember the initial zone-in to Sky being a warp (presumably upwards)from Hall of the Gods, and then you walked forward on some neat transparent floor, and I think only then you actually zoned into Ru'Aun. Jesus that place is still pretty

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

Could you interact with anything or engage mobs?

I used cupper the entire 8 months I played when I came back a year ago. Never got caught. But I was always invisible and tried not to trip the zone too fast error.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

So, scholar. I figure that their ability to skillchain at range with spells to set up magic bursts is part of why they're popular these days, but I'm curious as to the particulars. Do they skillchain with tier-IV/V nukes, or is the damage from that negligible? Is the B+ Elemental rank a huge issue for accuracy?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

So, scholar. I figure that their ability to skillchain at range with spells to set up magic bursts is part of why they're popular these days, but I'm curious as to the particulars. Do they skillchain with tier-IV/V nukes, or is the damage from that negligible? Is the B+ Elemental rank a huge issue for accuracy?

The big thing is that skillchain magic bursts(with proper enfeebles from run, cor, geo, and rdm) can hit really hard. With proper setups my smn can do savage blade into flaming crush for light, with a meteor strike for mb. The flaming crush will do 50k+ light will do 50k+ and burst will do just as much, if not more. Frequently i cap damage for all three. Without skillchaining i might do 10 to 30k unbuffed, with more consistent and higher damage with buffs.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

The big thing is that skillchain magic bursts(with proper enfeebles from run, cor, geo, and rdm) can hit really hard. With proper setups my smn can do savage blade into flaming crush for light, with a meteor strike for mb. The flaming crush will do 50k+ light will do 50k+ and burst will do just as much, if not more. Frequently i cap damage for all three. Without skillchaining i might do 10 to 30k unbuffed, with more consistent and higher damage with buffs.

Rayke, Gambit, Acumen/Langour, malaise, Frazzle III + dark shot, Wizards/Puppet's roll, I forget anything?

Also you have Apogee+1 everything!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

Rayke, Gambit, Acumen/Langour, malaise, Frazzle III + dark shot, Wizards/Puppet's roll, I forget anything?

Also you have Apogee+1 everything!!

Malaise and langour, puppet and companions, frazz 3, fireshit (with 119 empy feet) and rayke.