Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Soulex posted:

I'm so loving jealous of you.

I hope, for your sake, that the idea of photographing two rather poo poo national teams makes you jealous. ;)

It's fun though and I think that due to us not being the best footballing country makes it easier for photographers from football blogs (like myself) to get access for this kind of games.

(And thanks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahahaha that is 100% perfect

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

azathosk posted:

I hope, for your sake, that the idea of photographing two rather poo poo national teams makes you jealous. ;)

It's fun though and I think that due to us not being the best footballing country makes it easier for photographers from football blogs (like myself) to get access for this kind of games.

(And thanks.)

It would be any country or team really. I had a blast shooting my (then) local team in Germany and posted the pics somewhere here a long time ago. Even the pro games I shot while in the stands was fun as hell. To do it professionally would be great. My dream job would be to do something like that for my favorite team or a couple of countries I like or have ties to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd worry that doing it as a job would drain away the fun of it, especially if you're given a list of shots you have to have and a deadline to submit them.

Even just doing it as a hobby I've gotten a bit bored doing panning photos at races.. they all look the same, and aren't unique anymore.

Granted, being credentialed gets you a lot more access to unique angles and settings which is fun for a while, but even the pro photos at sporting events look generic after a while. I suppose at that point the mission turns into being ready for "the moment" where something pivotal happens.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I think that being dedicated to a team would change that. Like already being a fan and then going to be the photographer. Being emotionally invested could help but I totally get it. I like to cook, damned if I'll ever do that poo poo again for work.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Correct, you have to put in the repetitive nosebleed shots that are boring as hell but everyone expects, so you can get the access to shoot the interesting angles & stories you want to. Like I got chewed out once for not shooting the 'look at all the trophies backstage' shot. Everyone takes the photo, no one really cares about it, but it's expected.

For example, I've shot almost 70,000 stage shots of amateur bodybuilding, so I could get he backstage access to the pro level where there's real drama & tens and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Soulex posted:

It would be any country or team really. I had a blast shooting my (then) local team in Germany and posted the pics somewhere here a long time ago. Even the pro games I shot while in the stands was fun as hell. To do it professionally would be great. My dream job would be to do something like that for my favorite team or a couple of countries I like or have ties to.

I don't do it professionally though. The national team-jobs are free work (because I know the guys running it), and when I shoot at club level (Vålerenga) I do it mainly for the supporters club and some other supporter blogs.

Personally I would love to be the "official club photographer", but unfortunately I can't see it happen.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

azathosk posted:

I don't do it professionally though. The national team-jobs are free work (because I know the guys running it), and when I shoot at club level (Vålerenga) I do it mainly for the supporters club and some other supporter blogs.

Personally I would love to be the "official club photographer", but unfortunately I can't see it happen.

That's even better! No worries about fast deadlines or anything like that with wages and expectations on the line. I loved shooting games just to shoot them. I'd love to shoot Norway for the simple fact that my family (half anyway) is from there. I'm third generation. Sadly my dad is adopted and doesn't know where our roots specifically come from, but it's still super cool to think about.

When I get time off or out of the military, I'm gonna free lance a lot more. High schools and such. I've tried to get into rec league but no one needs or wants a photographer :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

When I get time off or out of the military, I'm gonna free lance a lot more. High schools and such. I've tried to get into rec league but no one needs or wants a photographer :(

Yeah tough thing is about a lot of rec and youth leagues is the "photographer" is either everyone's cell phone, or some mom with a kit lens and pop up flash.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. I saw a mom with something nice. I forget what it was exactly, something canon and not entry level. But she started taking pictures with the pop up flash shortly after we talked. I was disgusted.

I also literally don't know where else to look for freelancing sports.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Maybe try sports websites that do stuff local to you? That's who some of the guys I've talked to at the football games shoot for. Probably not a lot of money but you might be able to get credentials, at least to lower level stuff. Or you can be like me, go back to school in your 30's and get credentials through the school newspaper. Go Viks!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Soulex posted:

Yeah. I saw a mom with something nice. I forget what it was exactly, something canon and not entry level. But she started taking pictures with the pop up flash shortly after we talked. I was disgusted.

I also literally don't know where else to look for freelancing sports.

A lot of high school football teams have booster clubs that would probably love to have some photos of their kids in games. A friend of mine makes pretty good money per game shooting for a local one. Friday nights are all booked up for you, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If hockey is popular near you, you could walk into any rink in the area and practice all you want. If you can get the attention of a coach maybe ask them if they'd be interested in any pictures.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

If hockey is popular near you, you could walk into any rink in the area and practice all you want. If you can get the attention of a coach maybe ask them if they'd be interested in any pictures.

This is a bit of a double edged sword, because you're not wrong about this, but lighting in most arenas is 100% rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Separates the pros from the schmoes. :colbert:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

This is a bit of a double edged sword, because you're not wrong about this, but lighting in most arenas is 100% rear end.

Our top-flight arenas was so lovely lightened that one of the broadcasters got them upgraded. It's still not good.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I never had to deal with credentials before, is that a case by case basis like for different venues or is there a one size fits all credential I can get?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It'd be a per-arena or per team (more likely) and probably per game credential. Even the big boys (Getty, USA Today, etc...) need to get approved, although it's obviously easier for them.

E: this is more for professional/big time college sports levels, high school football-ish levels might just require an email and a thumbs up from whoever is in charge.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 23, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frink is right. It's down to venue, league, or team for the most part.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Grant Fleming with a kind of different view on football photography: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpUnMvFifsc

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

Grant Fleming with a kind of different view on football photography: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpUnMvFifsc

That santa graffiti at the very start on the right owns really hard

That's a really cool interview as a whole. That guy has brass balls going into some of those situations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

A good article on Deadspin about the early days of Football photography

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/a-q-a...dium=socialflow

A decent little quote that I think photo-dorks here will appreciate

quote:

The most interesting thing about football that comes through in the Football book loud and clear—it’s what I like most about the Football book—is the weather. The cover of the book is Johnny Unitas in the fog. Look at Jimmy Brown in the mud against the 49ers. There are some black-and-white photos of Y.A. Tittle, where you can barely see the number on his uniform. Remember in those days they played mostly in baseball stadiums, so once it rained the infield just became mud. To say nothing of the fact that there was no Astroturf. The grass…Today’s football pictures aren’t nearly as exciting as the old ones because the fourth quarter looks every bit the same as the first quarter. Take a look at the Super Bowl pictures. Look at the white pants. There’s not even any grass stains. Whereas look at my book, look at Joe Namath on the phone in the mud from head-to-toe. Look at the portrait of Sam Huff with a chunk of turf coming out of his helmet, the Minnesota Vikings breathing so you can see how cold it was, and of course snow—how can you beat it?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I agree completely. It's why I like football (soccer) photos a lot. Like seeing the spray on someone slide tackling for a desperate chance to stop the attacker in the rain and boggy pitch.

My favorite has to be flares though. The ultras always use flares.

One of mine:

Man, went looking through my old photos, forgot how much I loved to shoot this guy:

Soulex fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 17, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hi liter posted:

A good article on Deadspin about the early days of Football photography

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/a-q-a...dium=socialflow

A decent little quote that I think photo-dorks here will appreciate

This is really awesome and everyone should read it. Neil Leifer was phenomenal.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Soulex posted:

I agree completely. It's why I like football (soccer) photos a lot. Like seeing the spray on someone slide tackling for a desperate chance to stop the attacker in the rain and boggy pitch.

My favorite has to be flares though. The ultras always use flares.

I totally agree, and I have way too few pictures like that. Great article, hi liter.

And I also love flares. Luckily this is something the ultras of my team often use:

Lillestrøm - Vålerenga 03.05.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm SK 19.05.2014 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm Sportsklubb 11.11.2012 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm Sportsklubb 11.11.2012 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flare photos like that always own :toot:

Some astounding shots of Cam Newton if anyone's looking for some inspiration.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

Some astounding shots of Cam Newton if anyone's looking for some inspiration.

Those pictures was great. They inspire me to save up for that 400 mm f/2.8L I want.

I was at the norwegian cupfinal on Sunday. Cold as hell, and the match wasn't very good either. Got me a few decent shots though.

Rosenborg BK - Sarpsborg 08 22.11.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Next season starts up in march or something. In the mean time I will probably get to shoot some hockey, and hopefully get to shoot some sports I've never done before. Handball, bandy, volleyball or something like that.

azathosk fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 24, 2015

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

azathosk posted:

I totally agree, and I have way too few pictures like that. Great article, hi liter.

And I also love flares. Luckily this is something the ultras of my team often use:

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm SK 19.05.2014 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

This is some wild poo poo, I'd love to see something like that one day.

I'm pretty happy to be done with this solidly mediocre football season, and heading into a basketball season that should feature much more competent play. A handful from Virginia vs. Virginia Tech last weekend:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That one of #4 sitting on a defender all excited is funny and great

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Women's basketball :toot:

Anybody else shooting any basketball this season? I halfassed it pretty bad last year, I'm trying to challenge myself to set remotes whenever I've got the time this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Anybody else shooting any basketball this season? I halfassed it pretty bad last year, I'm trying to challenge myself to set remotes whenever I've got the time this year.

I'd bet good money my man Dakana is

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I won't be shooting as much as I want this season, but I'll likely do a decent amount of HS basketball. I didn't have a second body last season, so this season'll be fun -- I'm thinking I'll probably run a floor remote with my 17-35 on the 6D. I'd _love_ to rig up a backboard or over-the-hoop remote, but there's likely no way to do that in my position.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
So I had my first "occupational hazard" moment while covering the most recent Party World Rasslin' event this past weekend. Dan "The Man" Ziggler was thrown into the corner where I was shooting but he ended having more momentum in the landing than I was expecting. His foot ended up coming over the rope and hit my camera. Didn't do anything to myself or the camera (didn't hurt and was more surprised than anything... he glanced at me as he got up and I flashed him a thumbs up to show I was OK). The contact did end causing me to snap a pic though. :)

Even with that I still had a ton of fun shooting this event. A visit from Slamta Claus, a balding dad getting challenged by a puppet, a robot from the future trying to retrieve the brain of someone she loves, a guardian being revived from being trapped in ice for 200 years, and a six man rumble to determine a new champion.

IMG_3114 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_7887 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_3485 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_4592 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_2268 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_7922 by reverendhammer, on Flickr

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Second half of the football season, with bonus pre-conference play basketball!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Print your work, guys.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Getting the VT logo like that on the ball is a fantastic stroke of luck, goddamn

red19fire posted:

Print your work, guys.

You should blow that up, seriously. It's fantastic

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

red19fire posted:

Print your work, guys.

This is :krad:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DJExile posted:

Getting the VT logo like that on the ball is a fantastic stroke of luck, goddamn

You should blow that up, seriously. It's fantastic

awww you guys :swoon:

I was messing around with it all day yesterday, blurring the bg more, sharpening the guy. My printer goes up to 17x22, might have to swing for the fences on this one.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

red19fire posted:

Print your work, guys.

I've done the same thing. This one hangs on my livingroom wall:
https://flic.kr/p/dsxLaq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It's nice to photograph a basketball win, it's even nicer to photograph an upset of #4 UVA :getin: