Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine being given the chance to make lots of money in a video game but instead you decide not to out of principle. But it's a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

frank.club posted:

Then why we're all the other non long range missions cut back too?

It's too bad the switching modes exploit wasn't fixed instead of this. Fixing the game's problem instead of just cutting the fun stuff would be cool

Cutting their spawn rate is probably easier than changing the way missions and instances are handled.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Cutting their spawn rate is probably easier than changing the way missions and instances are handled.

It is the fastest way to do it, especially if the imbalance is live on your servers. Having said that, I really want them to do it properly.

quote:

In the near future, we will be looking to make some more changes (cargo size, time limits, reward values), but this hasn't happened yet.

What they essentially need there is to make both long range missions and smuggling as a profession enticing. It should really be a risk/reward balance act, and there are a lot of ideas (in this thread and elsewhere) for that to happen.

In my view, both those that whined about the feature being OP, and those that whined when it got nerfed are two sides of the same coin. And that is...the game is unbalanced and FDEV is to blame for that.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 20, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They don't spawn

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
tbh every Mario level should just look like this

I mean I wish I hadn't missed the chance to rake in some easy millions, but I can see why they put a stop to it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look I get that for some people mindless tedium is fun. Hey maybe if FDEV put as much thought into this game as Super Mario World it'd be fun.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

frank.club posted:

Look I get that for some people mindless tedium is fun. Hey maybe if FDEV put as much thought into this game as Super Mario World it'd be fun.

Is Elite really the game for someone who doesn't like mindless tedium? That's basically the whole point. If you don't find the game fun without exploits then stop playing would seem to be the answer.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

frank.club posted:

Look I get that for some people mindless tedium is fun.

Mindless, fun tedium is something like the dictionary entry for all 4 Elite games.
Having said that, I understand your point.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

frank.club posted:

Hey maybe if FDEV put as much thought into this game as Super Mario World it'd be fun.

You idiot, you missed the opportunity to own me by mentioning the warp whistles in Super Mario Brother 3.

The current hard brakes on smuggling is just temporary anyway, because I'm sure Frontier can balance this properly and quickly. Also yeah I imagine that if this ran on long enough that the galaxy became full of Anacondas, the community would die off as grindlords lose interest and move on to the next thing, and the rest of us would be stuck with crap combat where everyone is in the best thing instead of being able to pick on the weak and stupid and new. Elite's about the journey, which is what Frontier needs to make both entertaining and of reasonable length.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Games should be fun.

Sard posted:

You idiot, you missed the opportunity to own me by mentioning the warp whistles in Super Mario Brother 3.

The current hard brakes on smuggling is just temporary anyway, because I'm sure Frontier can balance this properly and quickly. Also yeah I imagine that if this ran on long enough that the galaxy became full of Anacondas, the community would die off as grindlords lose interest and move on to the next thing, and the rest of us would be stuck with crap combat where everyone is in the best thing instead of being able to pick on the weak and stupid and new. Elite's about the journey, which is what Frontier needs to make both entertaining and of reasonable length.

I just don't think they have made that complete. And I get why they freak out hard in the opposite direction when something like this happens. Because people probably get to the end and think 'oh poo poo why did I do all that'. They've got the length part down but the rest is up in the air. I think that A) completely revamping the missions and B) having something to spend credits on other than ships and modules would be great.

Ships as progression is totally cool, they shouldn't be the only form of progression.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

frank.club posted:

Ships as progression is totally cool, they shouldn't be the only form of progression.

I agree on this, hopefully that will come in later updates. The ability to have player run corporations, maybe even player planetary bases and outposts. It might not ever happen but until then there's flying around in space crashing into things to do and to keep that intersting there needs to not be exploits that let your circumvent the need to actually earn money.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Next step is to stop RES rerolling because some are more profitable than others.

frank.club posted:

Level up weapons
Level up skills
Level up ammunition

Let's go full Disgaea on this

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then earning regular cash should be way more interesting. True you no longer have to trade to get cash. I've put time into every single 'path' offered in Elite. They all get boring after a while. Maybe the point is to switch them up? With combat you eventually become a murder machine and the AI doesn't do much in the way of variation. With exploration you eventually realize that planets are just the same textures after a few solar systems (tbf this is getting changed in Horizons regardless of if you bought the dlc). Mining and trading are podcast supplements. There's probably some fun in having an anaconda. That's my current goal anyways and thanks to Sothis it's almost achievable.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since everyone asked I'm providing my opinion on the current smuggling nerf: IDGAF. I played Elite before Sothis was a thing and i'll play after. It was a nice boost for a while and I was able to get fitted with a great Explorasp. Now I'm making my way to Sag A* and by the time I get back there will be planets to land on and moderate smuggling goodness via balance patches.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I just wish I had shown up the day before Sothis got nerfed instead of immediately after

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I just wish I could have gotten a few runs in, only was able to pull off 2

Stupid real life

Stupid friends

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news...

quote:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Inside the SRV livestream on our official YouTube Channel 7PM BST 21st Oct

Direct stream link - https://gaming.youtube.com/frontierdevelopments/live

Hi everyone,
I think I said this last week, and it might be repeated next week (spoilers), but I think this one might be even better than last week.

Here's the original description from the newsletter:
A few of you caught Frontier CEO David Braben's latest YouTube upload earlier today, showing the very first in-game footage of the SRV in action. Now, we want to show you more.

We're hosting another stream on Wednesday October 21 at 7PM BST, with a live demo showcasing the handling and controls of the SRV. Tune in to our official YouTube channel at 7PM to watch Designer Mike Evans talk you through the SRV's controls in a live environment.

To add to the excitement of the night, Art Director Chris Gregory will show and tell us about the artistic decisions behind the Scarab, from concept to completion. We’re sure there will be time for questions afterwards, so don’t miss this must-see event!

Reminder - We sorted out whitelisting for the German community to watch our YouTube streams, and that still stands for this week, and the following streams too!
Honestly - this one really is a must-see event!

Glad to hear that Mike Evans is the guy behind the SRV drive model. He is also the designed for how ships in ED fly.

quote:

Videomakers/content creators callout - Elite Dangerous Pioneer Programme

Hey everyone,

Are you an Elite Dangerous videomaker/streamer/content creator? Then we'd love to work with you to help get Elite Dangerous out to the eyes and ears of the world!

Our pioneer programme is designed specifically to enable collaboration, and growth for videomakers and content creators.

If you're interested in learning more about it and you want to get involved - please do send me an email to elewis@frontier.co.uk and we'll get you signed up!

Thanks, I look forward to working with all you creative types!

Ralfidude and Isinona would be good candidates, as well as ObsidianAnt.

Then again...there is this guy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2A2SqkTJ2o

https://www.youtube.com/user/TurandSand/videos

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 20, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Aramoro posted:

I don't really get what the problem with the nerf is though? It was clearly unintentional and it made smuggling loads better than the other professions for making money. I mean you can still use your cheesy exploit to get ahead if you want, it's just not as effective. It was horribly broken, it's now fixed a bit, life goes on.

The real answer is that Goons have an insatiable hatred of game developers. Doesn't matter which game or thread, the devs are always terrible incompetent fun haters who eventually end up with their own $30 :frontear: emote

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey man I think the emote is silly too

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

The real answer is that Goons have an insatiable hatred of game developers. Doesn't matter which game or thread, the devs are always terrible incompetent fun haters who eventually end up with their own $30 :frontear: emote

:agreed:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

We should just lie back and be thankful they graced us with the opportunity to pay them for a product

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Word

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It'll only be a matter of time before there's another exploit that lets you make enough money to buy the biggest ship and quit in a single week. There have been at least half a dozen since the game released. Have patience.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Honestly I'm happy with HiRES income levels at this point, getting between 1 and 3 million an hour. I know Haz is even higher but no cops scares me since they're my meat shields.

However if I wasn't in an OK equipped Vulture thanks to Sothis I'm sure I would be much less happy with hourly income, since Hi was a little too dangerous for poor little me.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Really? I was rocking out in HiRes all the time with an Imperial Eagle; it was tense sometimes but easily doable. I was just limited by my shield cells and not my multicannon ammo.

Though hunting an Anaconda in a dark HazRes was amazing fun, and I'm pretty sure telling that story to my friends got at least one of them to preorder Horizons.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Professor Bling posted:

Really? I was rocking out in HiRes all the time with an Imperial Eagle; it was tense sometimes but easily doable. I was just limited by my shield cells and not my multicannon ammo.

Though hunting an Anaconda in a dark HazRes was amazing fun, and I'm pretty sure telling that story to my friends got at least one of them to preorder Horizons.

To be fair that was back when I wasn't even sure when to turn off assist. Now I can orbit asteroids and stick on a Pythons rear end for an easy kill. Plus felt like Eagles just lacked the firepower to be effective against bigger ships but maybe I just prefer to be more evenly matched if not more powerful. Something fun about killing a Sidewinder before the KWS scan completes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Dumb question: Is there a way to "prefer" targeting planets in supercruise? Jumping into a system and not being able to see if I've scanned a planet or not because of all the wakes and extraction zones clustered around it from 30Ls out is getting...irritating.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Dumb question: Is there a way to "prefer" targeting planets in supercruise? Jumping into a system and not being able to see if I've scanned a planet or not because of all the wakes and extraction zones clustered around it from 30Ls out is getting...irritating.

I just go to system map and waypoint the planets that look interesting. Is this what you mean?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I just wish I could have gotten a few runs in, only was able to pull off 2

Stupid real life

Stupid friends

I am in the same boat. If I didn't have friends or family I'd be $100 million credits richer!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosapiant posted:

I just go to system map and waypoint the planets that look interesting. Is this what you mean?

Yeah you can mark planets in system view

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

On the other hand I was supposed to play CK2 online with my cousin but blew him out to do a few Sothis runs.

85 million credits :getin:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

chaosapiant posted:

That works. I'm used to avoiding system view whenever possible just because of the load times.

e: Oh hey, the target panel works too. :getin:

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 20, 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OriginalPseudonym posted:

That works. I'm used to avoiding system view whenever possible just because of the load times.

e: Oh hey, the target panel works too. :getin:

Target panel is fine, but I can't parse information like "fumblebug x234.10 657.75.y" for every entry. I like clicking pictures. :colbert:

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 20, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

chaosapiant posted:

Target panel is fine, but I can't parse information like "fumblebug x234.10 657.75.y" for every entry. I like clicking pictures. :colbert:

Well yeah, but it's super nice to be able to just jump down the list of "[Unexplored]" in literal closest-to-furthest order, which is the reason I wanted it in the first place.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Ok so I made the shittiest video that tries to illustrate translation vs rotation using big ships. Hopefully it shows just how important it is to spend as little time as possible turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DReR08mjP_c

Pictured: abusing the anaconda's nearly perfect vertical/horizontal boost capabilities, and strong thrusters in general. Throttle set to the blue zone at all times.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Chrysophylax posted:

Ok so I made the shittiest video that tries to illustrate translation vs rotation using big ships. Hopefully it shows just how important it is to spend as little time as possible turning.

Pictured: abusing the anaconda's nearly perfect vertical/horizontal boost capabilities, and strong thrusters in general. Throttle set to the blue zone at all times.

Kinda makes me want to kit out a combatconda. God knows I have the $$$ for it.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

I'm not following.

My methods: I'm almost always in the blue zone unless chasing, even then I'm careful about speeding up on a target that's more than likely about to flip a bitch. I make very liberal use of my thrusters in every maneuvering situation (Slight evidence a page or two back in the sidewinder being rammed by a python video, that was me in the vulture). However, I never use FA Off or if I do it's only for a few seconds until I've reoriented onto the target.

What precisely are you trying to showcase with that video?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Son of a gently caress. I spent all last week out of town, seeing the daily :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: posts. I finally get back home today. :smithicide:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
How do you pledge to a faction? I'm in the Cubeo system trying to pledge to the lady who gives you bonuses for bounty missions, but I don't see the option in any of the stations. I just wanna make money shooting dudes.

e-
Saw the option under Galactic Powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm not following.

My methods: I'm almost always in the blue zone unless chasing, even then I'm careful about speeding up on a target that's more than likely about to flip a bitch. I make very liberal use of my thrusters in every maneuvering situation (Slight evidence a page or two back in the sidewinder being rammed by a python video, that was me in the vulture). However, I never use FA Off or if I do it's only for a few seconds until I've reoriented onto the target.

What precisely are you trying to showcase with that video?

translation vs rotation

The difference between trying to rotate your ship vs pointing in the best direction in the first place I guess?

• Locked thread