Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

I've seen a lot of recent articles from WaPo, WSJ and more talking about how poor people can't afford insurance under Obamacare and are choosing to forego insurance. The articles always leave out that tens of millions are insured now that weren't before. At the bottom of the articles they'll maybe mention that the poor people they are talking about are from the GOP controlled states which rejected the medicaid expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So since we're talking about how the Republican party is set to blow up one nuclear bomb, here's an older article talking about another one they're set off to arm.

It starts out positive.

quote:

For human to wean ourselves off carbon-emitting fossil fuel, we will have to use some combination of edict and invention — there is no other plausible way around it. The task before the world is best envisioned not as a singular event but as two distinct but interrelated revolutions, one in political willpower and the other in technological innovation. It has taken a long time for each to materialize, in part because the absence of one has compounded the difficulty of the other. It is extremely hard to force a shift to clean energy when dirty energy is much cheaper, and it is extremely hard to achieve economies of scale in new energy technologies when the political system has not yet nudged you to do so.

And yet, if you formed a viewpoint about the cost effectiveness of green energy a generation ago (when, for instance, Ronald Reagan tore the costly solar panels installed by his predecessor off the White House roof), or even just a few years ago, your beliefs are out of date. That technological revolution is well under way.

For one thing, the price of solar is falling, and rapidly. In a March 2011 post for Scientific American’s website, Ramez Naam, a computer scientist and technological enthusiast, compared the rapid progress of solar power to Moore’s Law, the famous dictum that described the process by which microchips grew steadily more useful over time, doubling in efficiency every two years. The price of solar power had fallen in two decades from nearly $10 a watt to about $3. By 2030, he predicted, the price could drop to just 50 cents a watt.

Four years later, in the spring of this year, Naam revisited his post and admitted his prediction had been wrong. It was far too conservative. The price of solar power had already hit the 50-cent threshold.

It goes on like this for awhile, def worth reading. Here's how the Republicans fit in.

quote:

If this sounds surprisingly optimistic, that may be because you reside in a highly peculiar place: the United States of America. If there is a single vantage point from which the new global consensus on climate change is least evident, other than perhaps Saudi Arabia, it is the U.S. In a survey last year of 20 countries, the U.S. had the highest proportion of citizens who disagree that climate change is the result of human activity. And that is not because the U.S. is especially abundant in fossil fuels, or unusually removed from the effects of a changing climate, but because one of our two major parties is completely sui generis. From 2001 to 2010, a period when the scientific community grew more certain that heat-trapping gases were warming the atmosphere, the proportion of Republicans who believe the effects of climate change had already set in actually declined from 50 percent to 30 percent.

The unique quality of the Republican Party’s climate doctrine can be found not in its Donald Trumps and its Ted Cruzes but in their putatively sane competitors in the 2016 presidential primary. “I do not believe that human activity is causing these dramatic changes to our climate the way these scientists are portraying it,” said Marco Rubio last year. A spokesman for Scott Walker asserted recently that the governor “believes facts have shown that there has not been any measurable warming in the last 15 or 20 years.” Even John Kasich, who has carved a niche on the far-left wing of his party’s presidential field for refusing to boycott the Medicaid expansion in Obamacare, has dismissed the scientific consensus as “some theory that’s not proven.” Jeb Bush has tried to dodge. “I’m a skeptic. I’m not a scientist. I think the science has been politicized,” he scoffed in 2009. His view has since hardened. “For the people to say the science is decided on this is really arrogant,” he asserted earlier this year.

quote:

Republicans have set out to induce the result they predict, warning foreign leaders that Obama will not be able to carry out his promises. After Obama formally submitted the U.S.’s proposed emission reductions to the United Nations, McConnell drafted a letter urging the world not to believe him. “Considering that two-thirds of the U.S. federal government hasn’t even signed off on the Clean Power Plan and 13 states have already pledged to fight it,” he wrote, “our international partners should proceed with caution before entering into a binding, unattainable deal.” This was an American official warning other countries to “proceed with caution” before negotiating with the U.S.

The Republican plan to destroy the global climate accord involves domestic sabotage as well. The congressional wing will attach to budget bills to fund the government new rules forbidding the EPA from carrying out its regulations. (Obama will veto any such bills, making them a futile symbolic gesture.) Conservatives have also filed suit to block the EPA’s regulations, a somewhat more dangerous possibility, but — given that the Supreme Court has already ordered the White House to regulate carbon — not likely to inflict fatal damage.

By far the most effective weapon at the GOP’s disposal is its prospect of winning the 2016 election. Jeffrey Holmstead, formerly the chief air regulator at the EPA under the Bush administration and now an energy lobbyist, boasts, “Any Republican candidate that I can imagine would very quickly just rescind the Clean Power Plan.” Jeb Bush has called it “irresponsible” and “overreaching”; Rubio called it “catastrophic.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/09/sunniest-climate-change-story-ever-read.html

Which leads me to Rubio's recent speech on climate change. Guess how that one goes. Here's Chait's take on it: Marco Rubio’s Ideas About Climate and Energy Are Terrifyingly Stupid

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Well let's hope that averting global economic Armageddon doesn't rely solely on House members finding political courage.

Thats the situation we are in though. A few republicans who don't want to get primaried will have to risk their political careers

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Which just creates a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If the Republican party loses more members like Eric Cantor etc.. and in that same situation you'll see a overall more dramatic shift like you have now. So when the Debt thing comes up again they won't budge at all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I remember, a long time ago, having a conversation at a restaurant with a nice man that I genuinely enjoyed the company of about oil and looming crises, when he shared with me the fact that he isn't worried because there is unlimited oil because God wants us to use it, and there will be no downsides to offloading craptons of CO2 into the atmophere because God wants us to use it.

This is the public-facing view on alternative energy of the Republican party and a lot of people will not even need to be goaded into believing it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AL Rep. Mo Brooks wants to impeach Hillary the day she is sworn in.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

What happened to all that shadow inventory we were speculating existed after the sub-prime mortgage crisis? Is it still being hidden, or is demand really exceeding supply?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Good to see a Republican with a grasp of reality on Hillary Clinton being president.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Freakazoid_ posted:

What happened to all that shadow inventory we were speculating existed after the sub-prime mortgage crisis? Is it still being hidden, or is demand really exceeding supply?

Rental homes would be my guess.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Paul Ryan is meeting with the rest of the republicans tonight where they're going to force him into his debt. Expect news about Paul Ryan speaker by morning.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Will Paul Ryan as speaker realistically change anything, since it's obvious now that the Suicide Caucus isn't going to support him hardly at all?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Epic High Five posted:

I remember, a long time ago, having a conversation at a restaurant with a nice man that I genuinely enjoyed the company of about oil and looming crises, when he shared with me the fact that he isn't worried because there is unlimited oil because God wants us to use it, and there will be no downsides to offloading craptons of CO2 into the atmophere because God wants us to use it.

This is the public-facing view on alternative energy of the Republican party and a lot of people will not even need to be goaded into believing it.
I don't know if that's better or worse than a I guy I knew who explained that peak oil wouldn't be a problem because of the free market. Not how, just the free market would somehow do something. At least God has magic to fall back on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually think the opposite is going to happen and Ryan WONT be announcing that he will run for Speaker.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
That's the thing, to even get the speakership, he's going to have to acquiesce to some of their demands, but at the same time, he doesn't even want to be speaker. None of it makes any sense at all.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shageletic posted:

So since we're talking about how the Republican party is set to blow up one nuclear bomb, here's an older article talking about another one they're set off to arm.

In a similar vein, the clean power industry has been loudly complaining for some time about the probable end of renewable energy subsidies cratering the industry, seeing as Republicans are all but certain to not renew them in 2017.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At first I was convinced Paul Ryan would hem and haw then agree to it but I thought this would have been like fairly soon. He's not going to get those concessions and the hard right is now actively attacking him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

That's the thing, to even get the speakership, he's going to have to acquiesce to some of their demands, but at the same time, he doesn't even want to be speaker. None of it makes any sense at all.

I thought he said he'd only agree to be Speaker if there were no demands attached?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah but is it really likely that the Freedom Caucus won't want concessions?

The funniest concession though is that they want the ability to bring more legislation to the floor even if it won't pass so that they can grandstand more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but is it really likely that the Freedom Caucus won't want concessions?

The funniest concession though is that they want the ability to bring more legislation to the floor even if it won't pass so that they can grandstand more.

They will, and that's why he won't be Speaker.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

The funny thing about all of this is that if you look at the Conservative Review's scorecard for congress, Ryan has a 58% but Webster, the apparent Freedom Caucus pick, is only at a 64%. Per CR,

quote:

Most recently, Webster has added himself to the list of potential candidates for House Speaker following the abrupt resignation announcement by the very man Webster challenged in January 2015. (Politico) Arguing that “It’s based on principle, not on power,” Webster is trying to portray himself as a member who can build coalitions that bring Republicans and Democrats together. Conservatives, however, should be wary of Webster’s true legislative priorities as his voting record differs quite substantially from his rhetoric. - See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/members/daniel-webster/#sthash.tPv12nLm.dpuf

For context, CR gives Bart a 100% rating, hahahaha.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lord Hydronium posted:

I don't know if that's better or worse than a I guy I knew who explained that peak oil wouldn't be a problem because of the free market. Not how, just the free market would somehow do something. At least God has magic to fall back on.

You're aware that peak oil means "production never expands again" not "we run out of oil", right?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

pathetic little tramp posted:

Paul Ryan policies are just as extreme as the tea party caucus, they just disagree on tactics. That actually applies to most of the GOP house members.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:agreed:

Did somebody say, apologia for the destruction of Alderaan?

It's always Pinochet they point back to fondly, every goddamn time.

Ah, 2002, such a heady time

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Oklahoma races to the bottom!

http://www.news9.com/story/30307257/boren-sales-tax-plan-reflects-shift-in-oklahoma-tax-base?utm_source=dlvr.it

The article summarizes Oklahoma's annually increasing budget shortfall. It also highlights a sales tax increase to fund public education due to an income, or property tax proposal, being a non-starter in my lovely state. The poor people can just suck it up and pay their fair share already.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Democrats agree to vote for a Republican speaker in exchange for reinstating the automatic debt limit increase. I wake up and realize it was all a dream. I pick up my shotgun and head out of the cave in search of a meal, hoping the Confederates don't find me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Democrats agree to vote for a Republican speaker in exchange for reinstating the automatic debt limit increase. I wake up and realize it was all a dream. I pick up my shotgun and head out of the cave in search of a meal, hoping the Confederates don't find me.

That would be great because they'd be under no obligation to support the Speaker when in office and now anything he does will be tainted by "this guy was approved of by Democrats".

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My grandpa has a huge supply of doomsday rice and beans. Should I go ask for a share yet?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So the House is trying to pass a bill that bars the Senate from filibustering.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/house-gop-debt-ceiling-bill-provisions-214976

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lord Hydronium posted:

The "Free Market" is more or less God magic in that mindset anyways, so the difference is moot.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/house-gop-debt-ceiling-bill-provisions-214976

:laffo:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay rescinding my last bet of him announcing a week ago and saying Paul Ryan will not in fact run for Speaker.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Living in Texas, I have been shocked and appalled at the dramatic rise in home prices; especially and almost exclusively since 2008. When the crash hit in 2008, home prices here were mostly stable and no where near as inflated as on the coasts. In the past several years, I want to say last 4-5, home prices have gone crazy. In some areas, Grapevine, Colleyville, South Lake, Allen, Frisco, and many others, homes that were priced in mid 100s to 200s have sky rocketed to values approaching 400. It's insane. It's bad for the economy and it's especially bad for young people. Plus, since our schools in Texas are primarily financed through property taxes, if there is a crash or a huge correction, our schools will be facing a catastrophic loss of revenue and I'm sure other states are in the same boat.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 20, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

A dream that could have been

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

The oldest saw in Congress is:

A freshman Republican Senator asks a veteran colleague how they get along with their enemies in the Democratic party. The veteran legislator says "Son, the Democrats aren't your enemies. The House is".

I think it's in an episode of West Wing even.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 20, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Meanwhile, on the Internet:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/20/4chan-4-trump.html

quote:

“I didn’t support him at first but the memes were too dank to ignore. So yes I support him now,” user HonkHonkSkeeter said. He wished to remain anonymous, as many did many others. (The conversations mostly took place through direct message on Reddit.) “I thought that his perspicacious usage of contemporary cultural memetics is both humorous and effective at garnering support.”

Dank should be read in this context as “fantastic” or “great,” lathered affectionately—and usually ironically—by many users. But their endorsements ring genuine.

“He is the dankest of candidates,” said user cant_stump_da_trump, who requested that he be referred to as “chicka-chicka slim shady.”

“With the way politics have been in the last 20 or so years, the people like the refreshing honesty of Trump, he doesn’t really hide the things he does or apologize for stupid poo poo.”

Others waded into the waters of Trump’s policies when talking about their support.

“I have many reasons [to support him] with a few that stuck out one of them being his immigration policy,” wrote user MT6Anime, who requested to be called Daniel Duran.

Duran wrote that he lives in south Texas and has “lots of friends who are here illegally but who excel at their education.” He referenced the Dream Act, which allowed for undocumented immigrants to apply for legal residency with a sponsorship, but failed to pass because of earmarks. Duran said the act it would have saved someone like referencing the story of Eric Balderas, a Harvard biology student who faced deportation in 2010.

“Trump, in one of his interviews, actually pointed out this aforementioned student and said that it was crazy. That people like him should be welcomed into this nation,” he said.

That is markedly more aware than many casual presidential fans—and notably more sincere trolls for that matter. Others were slightly more skeptical about what Trump would actually be able to accomplish as president.

“I agree with his immigration policies and admire his bravery to tell the truth rather than be PC,” Soccadude123 said. “Honestly, though, I think he’ll either make this country great again, like he says, or burn it to the ground. Either way, it should be interesting.”

Reddit votes and they vote for Trump.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
everyone here courts with nihilistic accelerationism but reddit seems to genuinely believe it will solve problems.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Luigi Thirty posted:

Reddit votes and they vote for Trump.

Eh, I kinda have my doubts that the portion of the electorate that evaluates possible candidates on the dankness of their memes has that much overlap with likely voters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is it still being hidden, or is demand really exceeding supply?
I've seen homes that look gutted (I mean missing plumbing, stripped floors, walls with exposed framing) in L.A. listed to sell at $260-320k, with comments like "Wonderful project fix-er-upper for the budget conscious, motivated investor!"

But aside from that, there's enough flipping still going on. Plus the prospect of buying a house and turning it into an AirB&B if you've got the cash.

But mostly it's banks.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Starter home is a stupid dumb thing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

Starter home is a stupid dumb thing anyway.

I would tend to agree however, starter or otherwise, it's becoming increasingly difficult for a young person to even break into the housing market at any level. I think this is really bad because, I think real estate is one of the few truly reliable investments that anyone can make and it is, historically, a really good way to make a long term investment that really does pay a return on your investment at the end. It's not a perfect investment, but it's historically sound and now, the ability of young people to make that sort of investment is being negated.

• Locked thread