Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That's actually a pretty funny idea since you wouldn't actually be endangering anybody by doing this, right? All systems that actually prevent any danger are done over radio and not their phone lines?

Hello NTSB? Yeah my paper aeroplane with a microchip duct taped to it just crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That's actually a pretty funny idea since you wouldn't actually be endangering anybody by doing this, right? All systems that actually prevent any danger are done over radio and not their phone lines?

Swamping the NTSB wouldn't really put lives in danger, swamping local 911 would.

edit: Good article here: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/8-questions-raised-by-the-faas-decision-to-register-every-drone-in-the-us

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 19, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lolling at the idea of someone trying to identify the serial number of a drone sucked through a jet engine

Furthermore, when is a drone considered a drone? Is it when you buy the parts or only when it takes its first flight? DRONEHOOD BEGINS AT PURCHASE

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My inspire decided to stop transmitting video this week. Thank god I bought through bh photo

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Martytoof, still looking for paracord?

Dollarama is selling these extension cords for $3/1.5m. Several colours, you'd just have to junk the actual cables. Way more expensive than buying online probably but you can have it same-day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Martytoof, still looking for paracord?

Dollarama is selling these extension cords for $3/1.5m. Several colours, you'd just have to junk the actual cables. Way more expensive than buying online probably but you can have it same-day.

Helllls yes. I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Elendil004 posted:

Best comment on todays debacle press conference:

Huerta is a complete loving idiot, who clearly hasn't read page 1 of the regulations of the administration he oversees.

I still want to see a mass civil disobedience of everyone buying hubsan drones, crashing them, stopping what they're doing, calling the NTSB to report an aircraft crash and just completely swamping the system with bullshit. I'd say call 911, but tying up ACTUAL first responders is a dick move.

My JJRC H8C flew away from me about a month ago. It was too high up and I couldn't tell which way it was pointed and I mistook a wind change for "forward". It just vanished.

Is there a number I can call and make someone find my drone for me?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DreadLlama posted:

My JJRC H8C flew away from me about a month ago. It was too high up and I couldn't tell which way it was pointed and I mistook a wind change for "forward". It just vanished.

Is there a number I can call and make someone find my drone for me?

You'll probably be fined for improper something of something or other

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you're looking for actual accessory cord, you can get it for about 35 cents/foot at any climbing shop like REI or whatever is local rather than cannibalize a fabric coated extension cord.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

canyoneer posted:

If you're looking for actual accessory cord, you can get it for about 35 cents/foot at any climbing shop like REI or whatever is local rather than cannibalize a fabric coated extension cord.

But does the climbing shop sell 65 cent chocolate bars and $2 mops?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Elendil004 posted:

I still want to see a mass civil disobedience of everyone buying hubsan drones, crashing them, stopping what they're doing, calling the NTSB to report an aircraft crash and just completely swamping the system with bullshit. I'd say call 911, but tying up ACTUAL first responders is a dick move.

Except of course the NTSB actually does have specific criteria for reporting accidents and unless your drone weighs 300 pounds, kills or seriously injures someone or is manned the NTSB doesn't want a report. Also the NTSB isn't part of the FAA and actually has a somewhat adversarial relationship with them, so punishing them for FAA rules seems silly.

I suspect the registration is about being able to track down the owner after a drone crashes or is shot down, either with actual weapons or things like the Battelle DroneDefender (which I hope never makes it to the US since jamming GPS is a terrible idea).

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Considering that even cell-phone jammers are illegal in the civilized world, gps jamming can't be allowed either. Besides it's pointless.

GPS is convenient, but losing it isn't crippling to aircraft navigation. Even a lovely little cessna 152 is equipped with a whole suite of IFR navigation aids. GPS is more convenient to use than VOR, but if a whole bunch of assholes around me start putting up drone defenders, I'm just going to solder yet another sensor onto my flight drone.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

GPS is convenient, but losing it isn't crippling to aircraft navigation. Even a lovely little cessna 152 is equipped with a whole suite of IFR navigation aids. GPS is more convenient to use than VOR, but if a whole bunch of assholes around me start putting up drone defenders, I'm just going to solder yet another sensor onto my flight drone.

One plane losing GPS isn't crippling to aircraft navigation. Every plane in the vicinity of rear end in a top hat McDouche who's firing off his GPS jammer is absolutely crippling to aircraft navigation (in the terminal environment). If somebody is doing that anywhere near a Class B airport poo poo is going to go crazy and the ATC system is going to seize up mega-hard. The fallback terrestrial systems have way, way less capacity than RNAV-based ones in terms of planes-landing-per-minute.

As a pilot, I'd take a million drones over 500 dudes with GPS jammers any day.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

DreadLlama posted:

Considering that even cell-phone jammers are illegal in the civilized world, gps jamming can't be allowed either. Besides it's pointless.

The FCC would never allow that "DroneDefender" to be sold or used in the US; they won't even allow intentional interference on 2.4Ghz (see the relatively recent Marriott Wifi case) much less GPS. But the FCC doesn't regulate Federal users of spectrum, that's the NTIA. So the military and federal law enforcement may well be able to get them.

A VOR isn't especially good for the types of flying drones do; it's basically meant to allow airplanes to fly along airways within 4nm or so of the airway centerline. I suspect you're radically overestimating your ability to receive VOR signals at the lower altitudes that drones fly at, much less the two VORs you'll need to receive to "pinpoint" (give or take a km or so) if you aren't going to put a power-sucking DME transponder on your drone. You're not going to be able use it to hover effortlessly like you can with GPS; it's no where near accurate enough.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I think he was implying (correctly) that VOR's suck balls compared to GPS based nav systems. Not that he wants to use it on his model.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I certainly don't. But even if the FFC goes bonkers and lets everyone put a jammer on the roof of their pickup truck, there's still going to be dudes who'll go hog wild with mouse sensors, sonar, lidar.

Right now the only reason such technologies are important (to me) is because gps is not sufficiently precise for my requirements. If gps were suddenly unavailable, I would still fly, but I'd have to spend more money on more parts first.

That's all the drone defender can do. It can waste money. It serves no other purpose.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

I certainly don't. But even if the FFC goes bonkers and lets everyone put a jammer on the roof of their pickup truck, there's still going to be dudes who'll go hog wild with mouse sensors, sonar, lidar.

Right now the only reason such technologies are important (to me) is because gps is not sufficiently precise for my requirements. If gps were suddenly unavailable, I would still fly, but I'd have to spend more money on more parts first.

That's all the drone defender can do. It can waste money. It serves no other purpose.

What are you doing that you need <3m position accuracy?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I am looking for maple trees among other trees.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

I am looking for maple trees among other trees.

Maybe look into a RTK solution?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

DreadLlama posted:

Well the Phantom 3 has two of those sensors. Still can't make it home without GPS or a pilot with some common sense though.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Maybe look into a RTK solution?

This looks fantastic. High precision locating based on known fixed-position ground stations. I don't really care where I am, just where all my poo poo is relative to all my other poo poo. Kinesthesia. Coupled with lateral distance sensors, I would (like to) pair up a (number of) drone(s) to a single ground station, have them fly about, look at trees, and share data about obstacles (tree trunks/limbs) with one another and create a mutually shared 3D map of safe-to-fly areas over time.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Oh my god dreadllama

intel did do a lot of drones and sensing / avoidance lately though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G519KyjFE5c

Based on this video, my goals do not seem impossible. Merely complicated.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Happy Back to the Future Day. After today, all of BttF happens in the past.

If you'd like full size pictures: http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2015/10/building-150-class-quad-diatone-blade.html

Well, there goes another handfull of cash. In the mail today, I got a package from BangGood. In that package was the following:

1. 1 - Diatone Blade 150: http://www.diatone.hk/goods.php?id=80
2. 4 - EMAX BLHeli 6 amp ESCs
3. 4 - Eachine 1306 BG1306 3100KV motors.

In addition, on my bench, I have a Naze32, a camera, a 5.8ghz transmitter, a couple 3s 1000mah lipo packs, and a soldering iron.

Annoyingly, the 6amp ESCs weren't what I thought they were. They were being sold on the same page with five other ESCs. Every one of those ESCs, excepting the 6amp one, were 2-3s rated. We'll get back to that though...

Here's what I got in the mail:

At first I thought they didn't ship the airframe. I only found it when counting props and ESCs. The anti-static bag it ships in, is tiny.

The airframe kit is quite complete. And it even comes with spare parts. You get almost twice as many screws as you really need, twice as many nuts. An extra plastic board standoff, and an extra main frame spacer.

I swear, that's my usual red work rag. There's a few more pictures like that. It seems my cellphone got it's white balance way off.

One reason I bought this airframe, was that I was expecting it to have an integrated 5v regulator. Imagine my surprise when I found this PDB.

Well, I might as well use it.

DIATONE recommends that the PDB is screwed directly to the lower frame. That setup seemed like it would leave the airframe wanting for space. After some digging through parts boxes, I found some standoffs. The PDB on my Blade 150 is under the bottom plate.

Oh yeah, we're building this now.

The Naze32 looks pretty comfy up there. It doesn't maintain that orientation... but I think that setup might be superior to what the quad ended up with in the end.

The lower arms mount on top of the lower plate. They have two post holes, and the bottom plate has slots for the inner bolts. This lets you set the arms at two lengths, with about 5mm between them. This example is being built with the shorter arm layout.

And now we can make this convertable, a coupe.

It really set in how small this thing was. The red work rag doesn't really show scale. So here's a 18650 battery, and a 5x4.5 prop for scale.

The motors went on quickly. The 1306's look right on those tiny arms.

A quad this small, makes mounting all the components quite a challenge. I like to hard wire everything I can, so first there needs to be some testing. Alligator clips are essential in this stage.

It was also time to see if a hunch of mine was correct. ESCs are typically voltage limited not by their beefy driver side electronics, but instead by the accessories. The input filter caps, and the BEC are the big reasons for 1-2s, or 2-4s, or 1-12s, rated ESCs.

These little 1-2s 6amp ESCs have a different BEC regulator than the bigger ESCs have. The LDO type vreg would fry trying to handle 3s and the electrical load from say, a servo, or a Naze32.

That PDB with the 5volt regulator on it is just about to become essential for this build. By not plugging in the positive wires on the ESCs, I can remove almost all of the load from the regulators on the ESCs, hopefully allowing them to survive higher input voltages.

... They can. So they got installed.

Those are some itty bitty pads to solder to.

The PDB needed to be tinned too.

I made a mistake. I should have soldered on the center taps first. But as you can see here, the positive leads for the ESCs were soldered first.

With the negative legs soldered on, it starts to look pretty busy.

Finally, the 12v and 5v takeoff leads were soldered on, and some wire management was begun.

That board got flipped over and screwed in place. Later on in the build, the bottom of the quad ended up looking pretty manageable.

Now it's time to go after the flight control systems.

At some point, I'll start caring, and start cleaning up my rosin. Today, is not that day. I've soldered the +5 and gnd from the PDB to the bottom of the Naze32. That way it won't need the BEC power from the ESCs.

The +5v wire from the ESCs were cut off, and not soldered to the Naze32. I need to figure out a way to make that cabling look cleaner.

And lets not forget the CPPM lead.

Honestly, form this point on, it was a matter of just squeezing things in. For example, the reciever got zip tied to the top deck.

A little more stuffing later, and the Blade 150 had a transmitter and camera on board.

153 grams, isn't anything to scoff at. And 235 grams with a battery!

I've been talking about how small the quad is. Here it is sitting next to a QAV250.

The QAV seems like a monster in comparison.

Sadly there won't be any flying tonight. The props I have hit the airframe. That really means I need to build a prop trimming rig. That shouldn't be a huge project, but it's not one to do tonight.

I did clip two props, to see what it would look like with props on it.

I also need to wire up the harness from the camera to the VTX. There may also be some landing gear being built and an LED or two getting put aboard.

The ESCs seem to hold up just fine under 3s use. The motors get a little warm, but being so tiny, they don't exactly hold on to heat very long. The ~3.5x4.5 props seem to be the proper size. I'be got some other ESCs that are rated for 3s use, that I think will hold up just fine for 4s. That'll be a fun experiment. Though I might replace the smoothing caps on those before I trust those to fly with.

First flights should be this weekend.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Prop talk time. I'm buying some new props soon for my 250, and I'm wanting to up my game a little. I've finally gotten to the point where I'm not crashing every time I fly (just every third or so :v:), so I'd like to get some more responsive props than the super cheap nylons I'm using. I started with tri blade ABS, and I noticed that my nylons are much more sluggish/floaty/mushy on my 250 compared to the ABS. I need some help fact checking and going over my thoughts.

1. Nylon glass fiber or nylon carbon fiber is where I want to be looking in terms of material that will make my flying more snappy.
2. Bullnose props provide more thrust at the cost of efficiency as compared to regular props.

With that in mind, I think I'm going to get something like this: Gemfan 5" glass fiber nylon bullnose

Am I off base here, overkill, better ideas?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So I found a drone race in my area and I'm going to give it a shot.

http://usdra.org/2015/10/17/nh-techfest-race-in-one-week/

The only thing is that I can't find any talk about this at all other than the hype that the organizers have put out there. Nobody talking about it in Facebook or any forums. Gonna show up with my slampig 230 and see what happens :shrug: if any other goons are free/in the area maybe come and give it a shot. I'll also bring some fixed wing stuff in the event I can fly that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the drone worlds championship next year is having a 500 class, 50 lap race. how exactly is that going to work? That seems wayyyy too long unless you have baby park style circles for a lap that take 15 seconds (and I don't think drones built for airtime are going to be exciting to watch either)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

the drone worlds championship next year is having a 500 class, 50 lap race. how exactly is that going to work? That seems wayyyy too long unless you have baby park style circles for a lap that take 15 seconds (and I don't think drones built for airtime are going to be exciting to watch either)

Pit stops for battery changes?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

overdesigned posted:

Pit stops for battery changes?

Maybe that leaves enough room for big props running on those 18650 lithium ion batteries, apparently they can deliver like 35 amps now.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I'll be heading out to this race near Hamilton.

http://fpvracingevents.com/events/#fall

I am very out of practice so it should be interesting. Hopefully they have enough daylight to run all the classes they have made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVeLpOCFxks

The course layout has a really large vertical section so I bet that will eat a bunch of quads.

Edit: Nerobro you can get same so much more space by hard wiring that receiver to the FC. This is a depinned D4r on a Naze32 on top of a small power distribution board.

helno fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 24, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh drat, if only I didn't already have weekend plans.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have a 250 quad that I'd like to retrofit from being a twitch racing flier into a more "robotic" feeling flyer with the more auto-level and auto-hold the better so I can fly and forget while I admire the camera view without constantly actively "flying" 100% of the time, if that makes sense.

I was thinking swapping out the flight controller and adding GPS etc but maybe I'd be better off just buying one of those hubsans. Any recommendations for directions to go on this?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have a 250 quad that I'd like to retrofit from being a twitch racing flier into a more "robotic" feeling flyer with the more auto-level and auto-hold the better so I can fly and forget while I admire the camera view without constantly actively "flying" 100% of the time, if that makes sense.

I was thinking swapping out the flight controller and adding GPS etc but maybe I'd be better off just buying one of those hubsans. Any recommendations for directions to go on this?

Can't you just put it in Auto-level mode and turn the stick rates way down?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Auto level is great but is just one part of it, I'd like auto level but for position and altitude, too. I've seen seen multirotors that appear to (mostly) just hover where they are left until steered otherwise and the more I fly the more I realize that's kinda what I want :goleft:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

Auto level is great but is just one part of it, I'd like auto level but for position and altitude, too. I've seen seen multirotors that appear to (mostly) just hover where they are left until steered otherwise and the more I fly the more I realize that's kinda what I want :goleft:

Get an APM (cheap) or Pixhawk (not so cheap).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Both a little large for a 250.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Both a little large for a 250.

Not really:
http://www.banggood.com/Mini-APM-V3_1-ArduPilot-Mega-External-Compass-APM-Flight-Controller-p-939771.html

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

That needs some sort of gps loiter. Which as Implicit said can be done on an apm or a pixhawk pretty easily. It can also be done on a naze with a gps and compass attached but I have no idea how well it works. Last time I looked that feature was very experimental.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And if you hold your nose (and cross your fingers), you can get a PNP kit (more or less) from RTFQ:

http://www.readytoflyquads.com/minireadytoflyer-2-6-v3-1

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Since it's snow any day now I think I'll try retrofitting my quad with APM+sensors. Might as well since it'll be a long winter before I feel like flying the quad again.

I have skis to try out for my fixed wing though :v:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I had a mini APM n a 230mm quad it definatly is a more relaxed flyer but the GPS flaked out all the time because it was so close to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

P3P does decent in very low light, shot this last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yyf8otgkY4