Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Soooo..... when we default on the US national debt on November 3rd, how long from then do I get a carte blanche to start stealing stuff without worrying about local law enforcement?

Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

radical meme posted:

I think it completely depends on what the young person's priorities are. For a lot of young people, mobility is an important priority and it should be. For some, those that already started a family, locking into a stable investment in a good school district can be a priority and that's where home ownership can become important. It's not the best investment in the world but, historically, it's low risk. But, if that opportunity isn't even available any more then young people are worse off than if they had that option; it's an option that is increasingly only available to the wealthy few.

This bothers me a bit.

I feel that "mobility is an important priority and should be" is a symptom of the fact that many view employees as largely disposable/interchangeable, and that it is exceptionally prudent of us to be ready to bug out at the first sign of trouble.

On the flip side, locking in can be risky as gently caress considering the above. I've been at the same company for 8 years now, and suddenly we're having some deep, deep cuts.

I already own a home (bought in 2009 when I figured it'd be super cheap), but with the largest employer in the area saying they're going to have to cut a MASSIVE amount of people (for the area), I'll probably be lucky if I get what I paid for this place back out of it (not including improvements, etc.) I guess because I'm already an owner, I WISH we had Denver's problem, while at the same time realizing that that situation is really hosed up.

It sucks.

Edit:

Thump! posted:

Soooo..... when we default on the US national debt on November 3rd, how long from then do I get a carte blanche to start stealing stuff without worrying about local law enforcement?

Asking for a friend.

Well I mean technically it's just a risk/reward calculation. As things go further and further down the hole, local law enforcement will have bigger fish to fry.

At the same time, most of the stuff in Best Buy won't be worth stealing because it's not like we'll have any electricity/internet to use it with anyway, so really your best bets will be food and outdoors/sportsman supplies.

This is what a friend told me, anyway.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 21, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Thump! posted:

Asking for a friend.

What box do you check on the census form for race?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hollismason posted:

What box do you check on the census form for race?

I'm whiter than milk.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DOOP posted:

this seems like a flaw

The entire sanctuary city policy screams nullification to me, but what do I know

It's not a flaw in the least? It's intentional that most federal laws are only required to be enforced by federal entities. Some are even illegal for local agencies to handle. In the general, a local cop is free to enforce, but is under no compulsion to do it. His job is to enforce primarily state and local laws.

It's not nullification because no federal policy is being nullified.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I don't think they're going to agree to that.

Right, I agree. I was only addressing the "let's pretend this they reach an agreement" hypothetical.

What's fascinating about this though is that the Tortilla Raiders and other ultra-conservatives are actually playing this super-smart. By starting the "Ryan's a liberal" smear campaign early they're effectively damaging his BATNA (Best Alternative To Negotiated Agreement). Ryan's slowly losing his ability to project himself as the smart conservative - either he's going to have to make "un-smart" (from a Beltway Insider Press perspective) signals to keep his conservative cred or he risks being written off by conservatives as just another RINO. Ryan's prestige and general high regard comes from his ability to straddle the gap between the Conservative and Technocratic/Faux-Moderate camps in DC, if he's got to pick sides he'll be worse off than he was at the start of the month, making taking the Speakership more appealing (meaning he'll accept shittier conditions).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

DOOP posted:

this seems like a flaw

The entire sanctuary city policy screams nullification to me, but what do I know

I hope the feds show up and crack the whip on the local PD who isn't enforcing laws related to the EPA, migratory bird habitats, federal campaign finance laws, etc.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse :radcat: Let's throw these nullifying hooligans in jail.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Thump! posted:

I'm whiter than milk.
You're good to go.

But really though, we won't default. The last time we got close a bunch of the House reps started getting calls from the huge money billionaire guys who basically said "Hey you stupid fuckers this could actually seriously gently caress everything up bad, stop playing around already" and then magically the crisis resolved fairly quickly.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
re: homeownership

It is usually a bad investment unless your alternative use of the extra money (above rent) that you would have paid for a mortgage was going to be wasted on silly poo poo instead. This isn't always true, you should do the math and it starts to make more sense if rent is very close to a mortgage payment, but usually you can make more money by conservatively investing that extra money.

So, since its usually a bad investment, then buying a home is mostly a lifestyle choice. Renting an apartment kinda sucks for people who want to do whatever they want with their home and not have to answer to a landlord. If you don't mind renting an apartment and you aren't in a rare weird situation where buying a home is financially correct, then you should probably rent to save money and preserve mobility.

I personally planned on renting for the foreseeable future, but then they had that big $8,000 bribe several years ago after the economy crashed for first-time home buyers which was enough to make it pencil out, so what the hell, I got a house.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

if we default does Fallout 4 still come out a week later?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Should I order shoulder pads off amazon now or do I just loot the nearest high school football locker room later?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

blue squares posted:

If we default we get to play Fallout IRL.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Thump! posted:

I'm whiter than milk.

Feel free to "forage" for supplies then

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

blue squares posted:

marshmonkey posted:

If we default we get to play Fallout IRL.
Russia even made a preview of what it might look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q60yBQG8XI
(As a warning, this is Syria footage, and it's depressing as hell.)

But yeah, playing with the debt limit is a really loving bad idea, cuz it could lead to Greece-style hosed up-ness in the US if it got really bad.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 21, 2015

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Howdy folks, I turn 35 in January, are there any legal hurdles in front of me from changing my name legally to Joe Motherfuckin Biden, jumping in the race, with actual Biden as my running mate?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fade5 posted:

But yeah, playing with the debt limit is a really loving bad idea, cuz it could lead to Greece-style hosed up-ness in the US if it got really bad.

And for those of you thinking that this is hyperbolic...

Remember back in 2008 how the Fed had to step in to get the commercial paper market going again? Imagine that the commercial paper market freezes and the Fed can't get it going again because no one wants to buy anything denominated in dollars due to the uncertainty caused by the US defaulting on some of its bonds.

Pretty much every company depends on that commercial paper flowing to make payroll, so your paycheck will stop coming as of that Friday and businesses literally cease functioning.

That's how all hell breaks loose.

So yes, hitting the debt ceiling is literally the end of the current world order.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
God bless Harry Reid.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Aerox posted:

God bless Harry Reid.

It's amazing how Reid can do this so blatantly and yet they still fall for it :allears:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Br'er Reid

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Reid is a masterful troll sometimes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hollismason posted:

Reid is a masterful troll at all times

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

If the dem's had a lick of sense they'd clone him and make him senate leader for all time.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 21, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

fade5 posted:

:captainpop:

When you've progressed to the point of using actual no-poo poo MBTs to suppress a significant part of your domestic population, then things have well and truly hit the fan.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Klaus88 posted:

:captainpop:

When you've progressed to the point of using actual no-poo poo MBTs to suppress a significant part of your domestic population, then things have well and truly hit the fan.

So see you all in November then!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Time to stock up on anti-tank weapons then.

By which I mean Molotov cocktails and a hail Mary charge that has a 99% chance of getting you killed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RuanGacho posted:

So see you all in November then!

You're assuming the military would be on the Republicans' side. Except for the Air Force that seems unlikely.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Couple days old but still relevant.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If the dem's had a lick of sense they'd clone him and make him senate leader for all time.

Schumer replacing him as leader is going to be a bigger blow for the Democratic party than people think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mitt Romney posted:

Schumer replacing him as leader is going to be a bigger blow for the Democratic party than people think.

Didn't Chuck screw himself over by opposing the Iran deal? That's what I was hoping for, anyway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Paul Ryan " People only care about results"

running the country off a economic cliff is a result

I'm worried bout my children :(

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Thomas Hobbes is dancing a jig in his grave. America's truly proven the folly of democracy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well his dancing partner is probably John Calvin

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Hobbes was also all about the social contract, you know, originating the concept and all.
'

Valentin posted:

Curious what Ryan's "five conditions" are. Jake Sherman at Politico says he wants the whole caucus behind him, so that's presumably one?

Wait, there's a Jake Sherman? gently caress, somebody start up the critic jokes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Didn't Chuck screw himself over by opposing the Iran deal? That's what I was hoping for, anyway.

I don't think the Democratic Party works that way. I'm sure he'll get a "challenge" but I think it'll mostly be media hype more than anything and he'll be made Majority Leader pretty quickly.

I mean, unless you want Dick Durbin. Those are your two options, and he'd almost certainly step aside if Schumer wanted it. You don't make it that far without some party loyalty. The Senate ain't the House.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Buffer posted:

Hobbes was also all about the social contract, you know, originating the concept and all.
'

Wait, there's a Jake Sherman in congress?

IIRC part of the social contract treatise was 'don't rise up against the king unless he's a dick'.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

IIRC part of the social contract treatise was 'don't rise up against the king unless he's a dick'.

Also man is inherently selfish and a dick and we need to give up our freedom (to a duly constituted king) to save ourselves from the natural state of dickery

bij
Feb 24, 2007

So when do the fine folks seated at the dark table with the Grey Alien and Einstein's brain decide that certain unstable elements need to be "accidentally" poked with prize delivering umbrellas? Being held hostage by stupidity is lame.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mitt Romney posted:

Really? Schumer? Why don't the Dems just appoint Paul Ryan as leader and be done with it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It enraged the rank-and-file but "Wall Street's Favorite Senator" is no stranger to that. The fact is, Schumer is a cash cow for DSCC fundraising and has been in Congress since 1981. The caucus will likely cut him a break due to the perceived uniquely difficult position of being a Democratic Senator from New York with respect to Israel-related policies.

I just don't see anyone else getting the necessary party support, especially with Reid sticking to his Schumer endorsement. Anyway, I agree that it will make the Democrats shittier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Raul Labrador said that the HFC won't give up on the power to vacate the chair.

Also, guess who just claimed that the Holocaust was the fault of the Palestinians, that Hitler only wanted to expel Jews (to the middle east, making him pro zionist), but it was Jerusalem mufti who convinced him on final solution?

Go on, guess

GIven America's investment in the middle east, the peace process, and everything that has been happening with Israel lately, I'd say this is at least as relevant to American politics under foreign policy

• Locked thread