Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I mean, Mark Hunt guys. You know what I mean? Oh boy.

Just... Mark Hunt!

wow.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brain Curry posted:

I think there's a bunch of goons going. My wife and I will be there. Where are you sitting?

Noted cool guy Mr. Nice! and I have solid seats - section 104, row 13

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

-Atom- posted:

Just... Mark Hunt!

wow.

In a world full of Michael's, you are a Toby.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

LobsterMobster posted:

Noted cool guy Mr. Nice! and I have solid seats - section 104, row 13

I think we're a few rows back in the same section.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

-Atom- posted:

Just... Mark Hunt!

wow.

This post un-ironically but I'm taking a minute to find that Hunt vs Bigfoot gif in my Dropbox to post with it.

take this one too

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

Yes?

But like, barring some gigantic Cosby-level scandal, that this forum loves Mark Hunt is not going to come into question. There's no point in voting for it anymore. The second favourite is up for grabs, though.

we may have voted for hunt, but we put our money on coleman

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
Good stuff here. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/20/9547333/what-deutsche-bank-moodys-and-standard-poors-tell-us-about-the-ufc

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Confirmed that the stuff is indeed good. It's got charts of the pie and bar variety.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

-Atom- posted:

Confirmed that the stuff is indeed good. It's got charts of the pie and bar variety.

What, you want me to put actual effort into posting?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Funny, revenue from 2004 was $14.3m then in 2006 went to $180m

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Reminder, that this is MMA Journalism and to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Also, I think it makes a lot of sense that Zuffa would give a smaller share of its revenue to athletes as its spending a lot larger share of its revenue elsewhere because its still trying to grow the sport.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Reminder, that this is MMA Journalism and to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Also, I think it makes a lot of sense that Zuffa would give a smaller share of its revenue to athletes as its spending a lot larger share of its revenue elsewhere because its still trying to grow the sport.

agreed, bible guns and tiger skulls are critical

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Pwny_Xpress posted:

hey, dana white's las vegas driveway isn't gonna put snow on itself. you need to prioritize spending accordingly.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Lorenzo Fertitta once said in an interview "yeah, we pay our athletes a fair amount", now let me write a 500 page analysis on revenue sharing from that.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

15 more fighters got cut. i couldn't possibly care about any of them except for tj waldburger and amir sadollah, who weren't very good but i liked for sentimental reasons (i connected to them because i also don't look like a professional fighter)

here's a list:

WW: Lewis Gonzalez (10-2, 0-1 UFC)
LW: Ivan Jorge (26-5, 2-2 UFC)
LW: Naoyuki Kotani (33-13-7, 0-5 UFC)
WW: William Macario (7-3, 1-3 UFC)
WW: Joe Merritt (6-1, 0-1 UFC)
LW: David Michaud (8-2, 1-2 UFC)
WW: Pawel Pawlak (11-2, 1-2 UFC)
WW: Hernani Perpetuo (17-5, 0-2 UFC)
LW: Vagner Rocha (11-4, 1-3 UFC)
WW: Amir Sadollah (6-5, 6-5 UFC)
LW: Leonardo Mafra Texeira (12-3, 1-3 UFC)
LW: Francisco Trevino (12-2, 1-2 UFC)
WW: T.J. Waldburger (16-9, 4-4 UFC)
MW: Luke Zachrich (14-4, 1-2 UFC)
WW: Roger Zapata (4-2, 0-1 UFC)

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
amir sadollah is the greatest success story the ufc ever had and also before jon jones the biggest indicator that perhaps all fighters are truly bad

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Good lord, 0-5 in the UFC? Even Steve Cantwell had a win

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canoshiz posted:

Good lord, 0-5 in the UFC? Even Steve Cantwell had a win

Did it ever come out what Cantwell's "serious problem" was?

Also, Waldburger was tweeting that he wasn't forever let go, but that since he's on indefinite injury hiatus that they terminated his contract. He expects to come back to the UFC once he's ready to fight again.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CommonShore posted:

Did it ever come out what Cantwell's "serious problem" was?

Being Steve Cantwell

Real answer his AMD Duo-Core processor broke

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Cantwell turned out to be an apt name.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
didn't Sadollah transition from fighting to one of those goodwill ambassador roles because he couldn't stop getting injured?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TheRationalRedditor posted:

didn't Sadollah transition from fighting to one of those goodwill ambassador roles because he couldn't stop getting injured?

he was forrest griffin jr. for a while but then got his rear end kicked by human Distressed Leather Couch akiyama and now is unemployed

mewse
May 2, 2006

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He seemed like a cool guy. Sorry to see him go.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

he was forrest griffin jr. for a while but then got his rear end kicked by human Distressed Leather Couch akiyama and now is unemployed
RIP, to those who dried (up skin from excessive tanning)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
THe first time I saw amir sadollah was when he fought phil baroni, and I watched for 15 minutes as phil baroni just turned redder and redder as the fight went on

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I thought they might hold on to Sadollah as a potential opponent for CM "Phil Brooks" Punk who had some name recognition, but I guess not.
Is he still supposed to fight, by the way?

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

I thought they might hold on to Sadollah as a potential opponent for CM "Phil Brooks" Punk who had some name recognition, but I guess not.

He has some sort of shoulder injury that pushed back his potential debut dates

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Amir would kill cm punk

Im not even sure he could get past phil baroni but i think thatd be a good debut and Phil could maybe gently caress off afterwards once and for all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Which Phil?

Exactly :smugdog:

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

colonel_korn posted:

you have a skewed thought process when it comes to the potential match making of an old broken down pro wrestler

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If CM Punk even makes it to the cage at this point, his opponent will be someone no one has ever heard of.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Bluedeanie posted:

If CM Punk even makes it to the cage at this point, his opponent will be someone no one has ever heard of.

Hopefully Jason Guida

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ironic Twist posted:

Hopefully Jason Guida

bazinga

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
*Mac Danzig sigh of disgust*

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
amirs cool. nothing about him made him a good prospect but he carved out a UFC career without having very many fights or any background or crazy physical talent. being a guy who trains and tapping CB Dolloway, dopey as he is, is pretty awesome

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

If anyone got anything out of this, I'd like to hear it. I didn't. It might become a building block later on in life when we can start getting more contract info. Here is their big stab at trying to nail down fighter pay:

quote:

While we can't answer this for every year we can try to make an estimate for the period covering 2005 through 2011 using our revenue totals and comments from the owners of the UFC. According to UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta in an interview with ESPN, the company had paid "more than $250 million" to the fighters during that timeframe, a total that he claims would be "not far off what the other sports leagues pay as a percentage of revenue."

With an estimated $1.839 billion in revenue generated from 2005-2011, $250 million in fighter wages would represent 13.6% of all revenue. If the amount paid out to the fighters was $300 million than the fighters' share of revenue would rise to 16.3%.

Also note that they weren't really even profitable until 2006 so I can't imagine them being overly anxious to start raising fighter pay before or around that point. They could try to extrapolate some info based on Couture or Wanderlei's wages and link those to the time periods in which they occurred but that might be too hard for anyone, let alone MMA journalists. I hope their future articles are better than this but I'm not holding my breath.

Also Brendan Schaub is pretty demonstrably full of poo poo on at least one point now.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I actually think by the time CM Punk fights the over a year and a half of daily training from Duke Roufus he's had will make him a pretty drat good 0-0 fighter, but he would still get his poo poo wrecked by Amir Sadollah.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

If anyone got anything out of this, I'd like to hear it. I didn't. It might become a building block later on in life when we can start getting more contract info. Here is their big stab at trying to nail down fighter pay:

I didn't either which is why I stopped reading when I read the word "estimate" like 30 times before that line you quoted from Lorenzo. It's the same analysis I do when I try to estimate how many PPVs Demetrious Johnson has sold (estimation: not many). Except I don't usually take ten thousand words and pie graphs to make my bad posts.

Some good information might come out with that lawsuit UFC is dealing with right now, until then Fighter Pay is still not a good topic. But I agree, Brendan Schaub is full of poo poo. As far as an article on "is UFC making money?" then yes, I suppose they are making money so it was a good piece on that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bluedeanie posted:

They said they'd treat Punk like all 0-0 fighters.

Like Matt Mitrione or Amir Sadollah.

Cough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

They said they'd treat Punk like all 0-0 fighters.

Like Matt Mitrione or Amir Sadollah.

Cough.

You know what? They're probably going to run a season of TUF in his weight class soon, and they'll throw in the house couple guys who have 1 to 3 fights . They'll likely have Punk fight the one of them who performs the best and/or represents a favourable style matchup.

Of all possible ways of finding him an opponent, that seems the most reasonable.

• Locked thread