Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I KILLED MY LIONESS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Belding posted:

I just finished! What a game. Now I'm clicking around looking for a completed a Telltale game that I haven't played yet, knowing full well it has almost no chance of living up to LiS.

I haven't touched the final episode yet (which seems to be getting positive reception), but Tales from the Borderlands is surprisingly fantastic.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Vargs posted:

I haven't touched the final episode yet (which seems to be getting positive reception), but Tales from the Borderlands is surprisingly fantastic.

TftB is surprisingly good. And what's even more surprising is how well the ending stuck the landing.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
My main gripe with the end stuff is Letting the tornado trash the town needed more to it. I watched both endings and sacrificing Chloe absolutely seems like the choice you were "supposed" to make. This cliche is in so many time travel things and I've never found it satisfying. I think that they could have included that option and made it ok but it needed to have that tornado trashing the town as a legitimate option. That would have been a good time to let your smaller choices really add up. Like you can save Chloe, the storm comes, but maybe you did enough stuff and made it so a lot of the people did still survive. I just really wish people who made this stuff didn't just resort to the same old "you can't change destiny" idea. Because it's never even brought up that maybe you should try to somehow evacuate the town over the week now you know that the tornado is real. Then you limit the deaths. I don't get why they have to do it this way.

It wasn't a really satisfying episode in my opinion and I expected a lot more with the time it took to come out but it wasn't bad enough to ruin the overall game and it was probably my favorite of this type of game I played.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

The destination ruins the journey, because it makes the journey utterly pointless.

The only message this game gives is that, "LOL you can't fight fate and God/the Universe is a piece of poo poo", which is completely at odds with the entire rest of the game. It's utterly mean spirited and a juvenile attempt at trying to be deep, not to mention it contradicts with what the game already established.

To explain it another way, a road trip may be fun, but if you're taking a road trip to disney world, only to have disney world suck, it does sour the entire road trip and you'll probably not go on another road trip for a while.

Dexo posted:

No it's not. How is it punishing you. You know what the stakes are, you know what needs to be done one way or another. You either say gently caress it and deal with whatever comes your way, or you don't.

The other ending is clearly the "good" ending because it has a lot more closure and had more care done with it.

Karnegal posted:

I'm definitely coming down on the side of the argument that this sort of end was telegraphed ahead of time in LiS, and even if we hoped for more it was a reasonable if unspectacular conclusion to a great game. ME3, by contrast, did absolutely nothing to prepare you for starchild, and the ending went wildly against the themes that they series had focused on up to that point. ME3's end was not reasonable in any way. I also don't see the dev's pushing a "right" choice anywhere near as hard as Bioware did with the middle finger of the "no choice option" where you get an epilogue outlining that the next cycle made the right choice in synthesis. Like they have an ending that explains what the right ending was. LiS isn't doing that.

Every since EA got their hands on bioware, they've just been spinning the shithole for a while.

Also I get why they made the ending like that, but seriously no one wanted that. If you're making games, you're not drawing a piece of art, you're selling food at a fancy restaurant. Sure, your plate of food can be artistic, but it ain't art, and I can still say it sucks even if I'm not a chef because I paid for an exchange of goods and services and it wasn't up to my standards.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

No Victoria x Max ending 0/10

I thought it was good, but I've kind of expected this to be the choice at the end of it, considering.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also I get why they made the ending like that, but seriously no one wanted that. If you're making games, you're not drawing a piece of art, you're selling food at a fancy restaurant. Sure, your plate of food can be artistic, but it ain't art, and I can still say it sucks even if I'm not a chef because I paid for an exchange of goods and services and it wasn't up to my standards.

Unless all the "spills" from ME3 were fakes, the why was a power-tripping guy who went over the heads of the writers and said we're doing this - boy am I loving clever

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Also...how come saving Chloe leads to the storm but turning Jefferson in doesn't seem to alter a drat thing even though you probably save a ton of people by doing so. I mean I assume Max still turns him in I'm pretty sure that image came up in those little photo slideshows if you sacrifice Chloe. That changes just as much of the future if not more than saving Chloe. But doesn't do anything. I was waiting to find out that Jefferson or someone somehow knew about the time travel. They could have done this without necessarily explaining the powers at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kawalimus posted:

Also...how come saving Chloe leads to the storm but turning Jefferson in doesn't seem to alter a drat thing even though you probably save a ton of people by doing so. I mean I assume Max still turns him in I'm pretty sure that image came up in those little photo slideshows if you sacrifice Chloe. That changes just as much of the future if not more than saving Chloe. But doesn't do anything. I was waiting to find out that Jefferson or someone somehow knew about the time travel. They could have done this without necessarily explaining the powers at all.

If Nathan is arrested, he has literally nothing to lose by ratting Mr. Jefferson out. I think it's safe to assume that he did so. Max doesn't have to get involved in that at all.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Kawalimus posted:

Probably because the timeline where Chloe dies naturally leads to Jefferson getting arrested via Nathan letting the truth out. No time wizardry involved during that course of events.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

Max is on autopilot during those days and isn't aware of her powers, Nathan getting arrested leads to him assumable ratting Jefferson out which in turn means Jefferson isn't around to push Kate to the edge which is why she's still alive at the funeral

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Drakes posted:

Probably because the timeline where Chloe dies naturally leads to Jefferson getting arrested via Nathan letting the truth out. No time wizardry involved during that course of events.

Oh right I remember the other photograph now showed Nathan getting interrogated so I guess that's what led to Jefferson's arrest.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I got the exact ending I promised myself at the end of Episode 1 if this choice came up, but then had three episodes in between to make it a lot rougher.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ekusukariba posted:

Max is on autopilot during those days and isn't aware of her powers, Nathan getting arrested leads to him assumable ratting Jefferson out which in turn means Jefferson isn't around to push Kate to the edge which is why she's still alive at the funeral

Bingo. This is the right answer in terms of the powers

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh hey question: if you didn't manage to conceive Victoria of your Nathan warning in episode 4, will she not be in the Dark Room with you at the beginning? She specifically mentions going to Jefferson because of the warning

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Macaluso posted:

Oh hey question: if you didn't manage to conceive Victoria of your Nathan warning in episode 4, will she not be in the Dark Room with you at the beginning? She specifically mentions going to Jefferson because of the warning

cannot confirm but Jefferson does say that he wanted her first until he decided Max was better

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just finished it and wowzers the entire nightmare part was super corny and went on for too long. I ended up just running past all of the dioramas of things that happened. When the ending choice popped up I was like "Really? They're doing this?" It was predictable and disappointing because i was hoping they'd do something unique.

The larry david cameo during the funeral was funny though.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

For those of you who flirted with Warren/didn't kiss Chloe, does the ending change at all? So much of the dumb diorama and the final sequence seems rooted in the sexual tension/self-doubt that Max feels, it seems like too much to change, but I dunno how much of it would make sense if Max was explicitly not into her.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I really, really liked this game.

This is kind of the one game where I am really accepting of the "your choice didn't really matter at all" thing that happens in nearly all of these "choose your own adventure" adventure games because that's kind of the entire point of it. Your choices never really mattered at all, you could take them back moments after making them for the entire course of the game. The entire game is an analogy for denial, and that's really awesome. You desperately try to make everything perfect, but you cannot. It's pretty heavy stuff.

This leads me to think that max never really had time powers at all. This game never really happened. The entire story was made up in Max's head, sitting on that bench before the funeral as some desperate attempt to cope with the death of a friend. Max desperately wants to imagine a world where she doesn't die that she is even willing to make up a scenerio where she personally murders thousands of people, including all her friends, just to be with her. It's really fitting that Max is the one that tells herself how dumb she is being; its her own subconscious

Max never had powers. Max never time traveled. Max was just a sad 18 year old girl making up stories to deal with the fact that her childhood best friend was murdered a few feet away from her and she didn't do anything. Life sure is strange.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

For those of you who flirted with Warren/didn't kiss Chloe, does the ending change at all? So much of the dumb diorama and the final sequence seems rooted in the sexual tension/self-doubt that Max feels, it seems like too much to change, but I dunno how much of it would make sense if Max was explicitly not into her.

Chloe gets a hug, that's about it, after that both endings are always 100% static from what I can tell

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, that was a pretty flaccid end. Still a good game, but man it was so dumb how sporadic everything in this last episode is.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Karnegal posted:

cannot confirm but Jefferson does say that he wanted her first until he decided Max was better

Nope he literally says " You're the winner Max it was always you." Victoria is the plan B

Omi no Kami posted:

Honestly the whole Warren thing seems kind of tacked on like they added it at first because it's supposed to be about Max and Chloe and then they saw people liked Warren was okay well it won't hurt if Warren is there. The Warren thing was one of the things that made me think the the lines for the journal are written way before everything else because no matter how hard you reject Chloe and lean towards Warren Max is still like ehhh I don't know.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, So in the straight max ending, they even kept all the weirdness where she got jealous watching Chloe make out with every single person in town? Weird.

I enjoyed the last chapter in spite of the flaws, it's kinda weird: with the exception of The dumbshit diorama/Max headspace/PT scene, I thought nearly every scene, taken in isolation, was satisfying... they just didn't manage to gel together into a coherent finale. The ending was suuuuuper flat for me, too. I decided in the first episode that I liked Chloe, and it was going to be the two of them against the world, and their ending seemed to lack any of the oomph/closure I'd been hoping for.

That having been said, this is still easily one of my very favorite games in a long while.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

was gonna throw him a bone but then he started getting real whiny right at the big climax jfc buddy tone it down

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Proud to be in the six percent :cool:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

epitasis posted:

was gonna throw him a bone but then he started getting real whiny right at the big climax jfc buddy tone it down

I kissed him and then the game made fun of me specifically for also kissing Chloe. Lmao.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Macaluso posted:

Proud to be in the six percent :cool:

Same

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

A nagging plot hole for me: in episode 4, when you're spending a while in alternate land with William alive and Chloe paralyzed, the whales are still on the beach and the birds are still falling out of the sky and the big storm of doom is still brewing. Why? Presumably this version of Max wasn't loving with the time stream at all. Another thing that makes me feel like this ending was shoehorned in late in development. Either they had some key team members leave, or some executive/publisher meddling, or ran out of money and rushed, or some combination of all of that.

Also there was this thing that was I guess some sort of leaked beta image for episode 5 which looks nothing like what we ended up with. That vaguely looks like it might be a hospital gown Max is in, and she's either rewinding a bus that was flying towards her, or she gained the power of the kamehameha wave and has decided to take down the town singlehandedly. :v:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I know this isn't important in the long run, but I would've really enjoyed a bit of closure regarding how the hell Max's powers worked and where they came from.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

I know this isn't important in the long run, but I would've really enjoyed a bit of closure regarding how the hell Max's powers worked and where they came from.

I really hated that they went the it doesn't matter route with having the characters outright say "who cares, you got them thats all that matters"

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Coming back to this game's animations/lip syncing is pretty jarring after playing Until Dawn. It didn't do this lackluster episode any favors.

Eps 1-4 are still hella sick though. 5 wasn't bad enough to retroactively ruin them, it was just kind of uninteresting and didn't have much impact. "Nothing matters" :geno: is how I felt about this episode, from beginning to end. Oh hey, a bunch of stuff is happening in all of these timelines, but nothing matters because it's all going to be reversed. It doesn't matter if I save these people during the storm because it's all going to be undone. This overly long and pointless nightmare sequence does not matter, because it isn't real. And at the end you get to choose between two options, one of which destroys just about everyone and everything that you've affected, and the other which nullifies the game in its entirety. None of it mattered.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I would've personally preferred it if You somehow got Warren's photo and saved Chloe before going back into town. That sequence had a bit of charm in the sense that it was Max all on her own kicking rear end, but I think the stupid loving final choice would've had more impact if you and Chloe had just dynamic duo-ed your way through saving a bunch of townspeople and/or watched a bunch of people you liked die. In my head, all the work Max did to therapist buddy and/or save people still stands, and Joyce, Alyssa, and Kate are still alive.

Unrelated, but Did the hobo lady ever amount to anything? Someone observed that she used a lot of Max's animations, and my own favorite headcanon was that Max became dedicated to naively trying to make everyone happy all the time, and over time those 30-second leaps added up, until the town's guardian angel ended up being the decrepit hobo squatting behind the pancake factory.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

im gay posted:

Bae before bay

This guy gets it. :coolfish:

A few things right after finishing the game.

1. That message Nathan leaves you before Jefferson kills him is heartbreaking.
2. Alyssa killed herself when I tried to help her, because things always go wrong when I'm around, so I let her, it was funnier that way.
3. So glad that Pompidou rests his head on your lap if you sit down in the diner. :3:
4. Warren yelling at you to get in his loving car. :allears: They do listen to the fans!
5. There's a backwards credit for that Syd Matters song that plays in the nightmare hallway.

Overall really satisfying game, love it through and through.

Omi no Kami posted:

Unrelated, but Did the hobo lady ever amount to anything? Someone observed that she used a lot of Max's animations, and my own favorite headcanon was that Max became dedicated to naively trying to make everyone happy all the time, and over time those 30-second leaps added up, until the town's guardian angel ended up being the decrepit hobo squatting behind the pancake factory.

The spot she was normally sitting is empty if you go there before heading in the diner, I imagine you find her dead if you didn't warn her.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

BobTheJanitor posted:

A nagging plot hole for me: in episode 4, when you're spending a while in alternate land with William alive and Chloe paralyzed, the whales are still on the beach and the birds are still falling out of the sky and the big storm of doom is still brewing. Why? Presumably this version of Max wasn't loving with the time stream at all. Another thing that makes me feel like this ending was shoehorned in late in development. Either they had some key team members leave, or some executive/publisher meddling, or ran out of money and rushed, or some combination of all of that.

Also there was this thing that was I guess some sort of leaked beta image for episode 5 which looks nothing like what we ended up with. That vaguely looks like it might be a hospital gown Max is in, and she's either rewinding a bus that was flying towards her, or she gained the power of the kamehameha wave and has decided to take down the town singlehandedly. :v:

Yeah, I'm okay with the endings, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if something had been changed along the way. There were a fair number of hints (plus recorded but unused dialogue, although some of it actually can be heard in the ep4 trailer) indicating that Nathan and his father knew the storm was coming, which of course doesn't gel with Max's timefuckery being responsible at all. There were also a lot of weird cuts in this episode where the characters rush to conclusions/accept things without much evidence, which just felt like there were some missing story beats.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Varam posted:

Yeah, I'm okay with the endings, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if something had been changed along the way. There were a fair number of hints (plus recorded but unused dialogue, although some of it actually can be heard in the ep4 trailer) indicating that Nathan and his father knew the storm was coming, which of course doesn't gel with Max's timefuckery being responsible at all. There were also a lot of weird cuts in this episode where the characters rush to conclusions/accept things without much evidence, which just felt like there were some missing story beats.

it could have been interesting if jefferson also had time powers and the two of you fighting over the timeline is what had caused the storm

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Only good part of this ep was Nightmare Land especially the part where every character cucks Max but besides that this last episode and the game's conclusion was dumb as hell haha.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

AriadneThread posted:

it could have been interesting if jefferson also had time powers and the two of you fighting over the timeline is what had caused the storm

Man I got so hype when the nightmare sequence started and Max was like" I don't want to say these". Like wow is Jefferson loving with time. That's how he got to the junkyard around the same time but nope plothole. I mean I am being super negative I really thought the ending was ok at least but drat if the plot doesn't look like swiss cheese.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

quote:

"Hey Chloe, let's go dig through the rubble of the school to find the class photo that Mark Jefferson took at the beginning of the school year. I can go back in time and warn everyone about Jefferson, saving Rachel before Nathan kills her, and also about the impending tornado so that they can evacuate everyone."

"Wow Max, that's a great idea! You're so smart and amazing and I love you!"

*kissing noises*

Thank you for reading the first fan fiction I've ever written for anything. As far as I'm concerned, it's the canonical epilogue.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
After sitting on it for a day I choose to believe that we are not OG Max. We are just the Max that finally closes the loop, via whichever ending you choose. Max's first selfie was her Dark Tower, but she climbed it too many times to try and fix things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Macaluso posted:

You have to kill him to save him though. You can't get to him without turning the sprinklers on first so you can get past the fire. So he has to die at least once so he can live.

• Locked thread