Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Photex posted:

dupreeh is easily the best clutch king right?

edit: also am i wrong in seeing it'll cost $5 to basically do the fantasy team?

If you pay the dollar price per sticker, yeah. I throw lowball bids in all the sticker prices and hope some sucker fat fingers a digit when selling.

e: Looks like they also have graphs that list stats from the past tournament. In the end it's almost totally luck based since Dennis was all over the board in Cologne and there was a lot of talk about someone who was a headshot monster and didn't even once make the results, was it Scream? Looks like team picks roll over each day too so you can try and play with the less popular team members if you're a stingy poorman like me.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

nosl posted:

I realize this game isn't about kills, and I always lead every rush t side, always am the first to throw my face in the fight, always risk my life for teammates

Sounds like you are trying to play as if you have a real team, when you obviously know you don't. Bait your team and run around spraying P90 at people's left foot.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Looks like the latest patch broke reg. Servers are forcing updaterate to 0.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

nftyw posted:

If you pay the dollar price per sticker, yeah. I throw lowball bids in all the sticker prices and hope some sucker fat fingers a digit when selling.

e: Looks like they also have graphs that list stats from the past tournament. In the end it's almost totally luck based since Dennis was all over the board in Cologne and there was a lot of talk about someone who was a headshot monster and didn't even once make the results, was it Scream? Looks like team picks roll over each day too so you can try and play with the less popular team members if you're a stingy poorman like me.

Yeah Scream stickers were like 12 or 13 bucks on the Headshot % day and some random person (I think RPK?) took it.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Looks like I'm gonna blow it drafting a fantasy team

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Needed a shotgun fragger so everyone can stack JW picks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Well I was gonna go with KennyS as my sniper because why wouldn't you, then I found out when you make a pick it puts their dumb faces up there so JW here we come. I wanna stare at that face until the end!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Well I was gonna go with KennyS as my sniper because why wouldn't you, then I found out when you make a pick it puts their dumb faces up there so JW here we come. I wanna stare at that face until the end!

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Also hasn't KeenyS been a bit of a slump recently?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Glorious.

Alighieri posted:

Also hasn't KeenyS been a bit of a slump recently?

Really seems to be. I mean, he's still really good but not top of the world untouchable with AWP good.

Anyway here's mine so far:

Trying to guess Clutch is rough and don't want to stack too hard towards one team in case of upset. Probably put Device or Dupreeh in there. In the end it's all just guessing anyway.

Plus look at Snax's face next to JW's.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i always thought hltv.org had more player statistics but i guess I was wrong.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Glorious.

Really seems to be. I mean, he's still really good but not top of the world untouchable with AWP good.

Anyway here's mine so far:

Trying to guess Clutch is rough and don't want to stack too hard towards one team in case of upset. Probably put Device or Dupreeh in there. In the end it's all just guessing anyway.

Plus look at Snax's face next to JW's.

dupreeh getright or flusha imo

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Got my $1.25 setup right here. Though apEX and allu just landed in my inbox. Choices!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

exethan posted:

dupreeh getright or flusha imo

i'd hesitate with GTR because of the group they are in (they probably won't beat titan and vp)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Comedy option: Hiko, relying on insane flicks.

Game talk: People are saying this update literally breaks the game, forcing cl_updaterate to 0. Anyone encountered that yet?

J
Jun 10, 2001

nosl posted:

What can I do to make sure this never happens again? I didn't mind the demotion to MG1, but going back to novas is loving frustrating.

The irony here is that the lower you go, the worse your teammates are. Yes, I can probably carry every game, still lose 30%, and make it back to MG1 and MG2, but I am tired of relying on teammates, playing correctly, etc, when they just killwhore and never go for the objective, never coordinate any pushes or ecos correctly, etc. It feels like I'm in silver league.

Ranks don't matter! Just focus on trying to improve each and every game and make the best decisions you can. There will be some games you can't win because of useless idiot teammates. There will be other games you can't lose because the opposing team got stuck with the useless idiots. The outcome of the rest of the games will be decided by how well you play, and make no mistake this is most of the games even if it doesn't always seem that way. In the short run over a small sample size of games, a lot of stupid poo poo can happen. Maintain good vibes and be positive, and if that is proving to be really difficult it is okay to take a break and come back later with a clear head. There is no magic rank cutoff where your teammates will suddenly start playing as a team and coordinating when to eco. There are people that do their own thing at all ranks, so don't feel bad about falling below some perceived threshold. Stay cool and make good decisions and the wins will come.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Comedy option: Hiko, relying on insane flicks.

Game talk: People are saying this update literally breaks the game, forcing cl_updaterate to 0. Anyone encountered that yet?

I'm seeing some pretty big complaints on the reddit like poo poo bouncing off of smoke, no idea how that managed to come about since the list of gameplay tweaks is pretty short.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

nftyw posted:

Got my $1.25 setup right here. Though apEX and allu just landed in my inbox. Choices!

Taz looks like every Eastern European gangster in every movie ever and I love him.

Looks like they just released a 9mb patch.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Will probably snag a guardian sticker at some point.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

nosl posted:

So, is it pretty much impossible to get out of guardians/novas with 4 pubbies? I have pretty much no friends to speak of even though I bought this game for 3 old friends, none of them talk to me anymore and I really am trying to get better at this game, but I got demoted from MG2 to GNM in a day, topfragging every game, because the pubbies I got matched with were downright -bad-. I was doing nothing wrong, and I have been consistently topfragging except for one or two games where I did more than break even and there was one other guy topfragging.

I realize this game isn't about kills, and I always lead every rush t side, always am the first to throw my face in the fight, always risk my life for teammates, always go for the objective, etc, and it's seriously obnoxious to play in this manner, still topfrag and get more kills and a better ratio than people trying to killwhore in guardians, and then still get demoted, sometimes consistently. My sensitivity IS way too high, but at the moment, I'm more concerned with how I can play completely competently minus sensitivity, always go for objective, never killwhore, still topfrag, etc, when I'll play with teammates who never or rarely go for the objective, never listen when told to eco (or only listen half the time), etc, etc, etc, and still get demoted. I got promoted to MG1 and MG2 on ties. It's this kind of bullshit that makes me want to stop playing. I've been playing since CS:S.

What can I do to make sure this never happens again? I didn't mind the demotion to MG1, but going back to novas is loving frustrating.

The irony here is that the lower you go, the worse your teammates are. Yes, I can probably carry every game, still lose 30%, and make it back to MG1 and MG2, but I am tired of relying on teammates, playing correctly, etc, when they just killwhore and never go for the objective, never coordinate any pushes or ecos correctly, etc. It feels like I'm in silver league.

Solo queue is absolutely doable; me and plenty of others have gotten to higher ranks doing it that way. While I believe you're trying to do these things; I think you probably still have a long way to go in your executions.
Throwing your face into the teamfight isn't always the best option, especially if you're having the troubles you're talking about. How good are you at counting enemy team money? Do you use SMGs/pistols at any point past the 3rd round (If not, you should)? Do you know all your smokes? Do you know all your popflashes/flashes? What maps do you play? What's your warmup routine? How good is your spray/burst? How good is your tracking?
When do you stop playing?
What information do you communicate and how do you communicate it to your teammates?
When you're in clutch situations, what do you do and why? Does being in a 1v2 worry you? How about 1v3?

At the end of the day, there's always things you can improve. Sure you may be topfragging, but you're not carrying. Look at your demos and see why you died, not why you lost.

Audax fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 21, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I saw that fantasy team thing on the main menu. But then when I went to pick, I didn't see the whole "buy a sticker" thing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

widespread posted:

I saw that fantasy team thing on the main menu. But then when I went to pick, I didn't see the whole "buy a sticker" thing.

Click on the plus sign next to a name and it takes you to an option to buy one.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Click on the plus sign next to a name and it takes you to an option to buy one.

That's what I meant. I thought "Oh hey free fantasy draft thing". And then I saw you had to buy them. I've only $0.89 on the wallet.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
You've got to loving pay for these stickers or what ever and you get what in return? A digital trophy ?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

sterster posted:

You've got to loving pay for these stickers or what ever and you get what in return? A digital trophy ?

Welll you can put the stickers on your gun or use them to bet or whatever

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

exethan posted:

Welll you can put the stickers on your gun or use them to bet or whatever

Okay so you actually get to use them or sell them afterwards you just have to own it to do that. Do you have to buy new stickers each tourny or if I own a C9 sticker from a previous one would that work? What if you put them on your gun can you still use em?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
You need to buy the stickers for the appropriate tournament. If you're looking for top-end or popular players, their stickers may cost more. I just put bids in on the community market, where prices for a lot of the less glamorous players already have dropped down to 30-40 cents.

Once you make your picks, those players/teams' stickers are "locked" in and you can't use or trade them until after the tournament day is over. Afterwards you can use them for the next day, or you can stick them on a gun or sell them or whatever.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

sterster posted:

Okay so you actually get to use them or sell them afterwards you just have to own it to do that. Do you have to buy new stickers each tourny or if I own a C9 sticker from a previous one would that work? What if you put them on your gun can you still use em?

You have to buy them for every tourney its a big scam much like every microtransaction game

stump collector
May 28, 2007

nosl posted:

So, is it pretty much impossible to get out of guardians/novas with 4 pubbies?

No, it's not

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

exethan posted:

No, it's not

Yep. I'm pretty garbage and I'm DMG through solo queue or the (very) occasionally invite I can actually accept.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Solo queue is the way to rank up. Unless you have higher ranked friends who can smurf with you.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If you're topfragging and not ranking up, one or more of the following probably applies to you:
  • You're getting kills that don't actually help your team
  • Your gamesense/callouts are terrible to the point where it drags down your team
  • You're so unpleasant to play with that you're ruining your team's morale
  • Your economy is all hosed up and you're dropping AKs to the enemy team after winning pistol round
  • You're killhunting instead of guarding the bomb and letting it get defused
  • etc
There's way more to winning a game than being on top of the scoreboard.

e: I know you listed some of these things that don't apply to you, but I'm not sure what feedback you're looking for. There's no silver bullet to not derank. You just need to have all of your various skills average out at a higher level--the easily visible ones like aiming and the vaguer ones like gamesense, economy, and vibes. You can focus on one skillset and hope the other ones aren't dragging you down, but you're basically saying "I do everything correct but still lose what do."

For what it's worth I hit LE almost mostly solo queueing. Then I got distracted by a bunch of other games and I'm currently DMG after losing some games after a long time away.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 21, 2015

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I'm terrible but pleasant so my team just carries me most of the time

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Elysiume posted:

If you're topfragging and not ranking up, one or more of the following probably applies to you:
  • You're getting kills that don't actually help your team
  • Your gamesense/callouts are terrible to the point where it drags down your team
  • You're so unpleasant to play with that you're ruining your team's morale
  • Your economy is all hosed up and you're dropping AKs to the enemy team after winning pistol round
  • You're killhunting instead of guarding the bomb and letting it get defused
  • etc
There's way more to winning a game than being on top of the scoreboard.

Meanwhile I'm still Rank 1 somehow. And I know I'm terribad at the game, since I think I get Deaths to two digits near consistently.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
de_santorini coming soon to an operation near you

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Is steam down? I can't start steam in online mode.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Is steam down? I can't start steam in online mode.

https://steamstat.us/

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
VLC PLAYER TAKE NOTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ruK8qFZk4

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I de-ranked because I keep playing while drunk. Casual isn't any fun and the only time I have to play is after the wife goes to bed and we are usually a couple of beers or glasses of wine in at that point. Oh well, it's a little less try hard now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

nosl posted:

So, is it pretty much impossible to get out of guardians/novas with 4 pubbies? I have pretty much no friends to speak of even though I bought this game for 3 old friends, none of them talk to me anymore and I really am trying to get better at this game, but I got demoted from MG2 to GNM in a day, topfragging every game, because the pubbies I got matched with were downright -bad-. I was doing nothing wrong, and I have been consistently topfragging except for one or two games where I did more than break even and there was one other guy topfragging.

I realize this game isn't about kills, and I always lead every rush t side, always am the first to throw my face in the fight, always risk my life for teammates, always go for the objective, etc, and it's seriously obnoxious to play in this manner, still topfrag and get more kills and a better ratio than people trying to killwhore in guardians, and then still get demoted, sometimes consistently. My sensitivity IS way too high, but at the moment, I'm more concerned with how I can play completely competently minus sensitivity, always go for objective, never killwhore, still topfrag, etc, when I'll play with teammates who never or rarely go for the objective, never listen when told to eco (or only listen half the time), etc, etc, etc, and still get demoted. I got promoted to MG1 and MG2 on ties. It's this kind of bullshit that makes me want to stop playing. I've been playing since CS:S.

So, the best way I found is just to find players you enjoyed playing with that were better than you and add them to your friends list. I have a ton of people I can play with now. When I bought the game, I had nobody that I could play with in Australia - everyone I knew that played was in the US. The comment about doing everything right is literally impossible. Sensitivity jokes aside, if you are playing at the wrong sensitivity, you are doing something wrong. If you are not giving good info, you are doing something wrong. If you are the first to die every round, you are doing something wrong, especially as CT. Surviving more than 15-30 seconds is pretty imperative at those ranks, otherwise your defense collapses since you are playing with other teammates that are not that experienced in retaking and working together when down a player. One of the most important things in any CSGO game is literally keeping a positive morale. Some games you will absolutely never win, because you are just getting outplayed all around, but the games that are close, if you can win a few rounds, keep it positive, and break their economy, you can easily come back.

I agree that playing with Novas suck, but consider doing other things in those games like pistol/scout or trying some different strategies other than rushing a site with your P90 out and spraying. Just point of fact - if you are carrying every game, you are winning - not losing a full third of the time. Carry != top fragging.

• Locked thread