Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Washout posted:

Super duper powers and a bunch of gore?

I haven't read it, but I assume Uber has both and it's massively discounted right now.
https://www.comixology.com/Uber-Sale/page/8453?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Invincible is full of gore and is about as well-written as The Boys.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Kaine seemed interersting in SpideyVerse. Is there a big run or a series he was involved in that's good? I've read entirely 0 other spiderman than spiderverse if that helps

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
He had a good run on the Scarlet Spider title that began in 2012. There's 27 or so issues.

I think he was in a recent New Warriors title, but I only read one or two issues of it so far (I was lent the whole run, just haven't gotten to it).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Scarlet Spider and the recent New Warriors were good. I miss both titles. Aracely and Jake Waffles were too good for this world.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Thank you!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I haven't read it, but I assume Uber has both and it's massively discounted right now.
https://www.comixology.com/Uber-Sale/page/8453?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Yes and no. Well. Lots of gore, for sure. It is an Avatar comic, after all. As for the super powers, they're treated as the weapons and tools that they are, so there's lots of pages of battles that are just dudes using their eyebeam things from miles away.

I do enjoy it, but I can see why people wouldn't.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I'm interested in a superhero shared universe that's not Marvel or DC; are the current Valiant titles any good? I've heard some praise about Ninjak and X-O Manowar. For that matter, are any of the 90's valiant titles any good?

X-O posted:

The only thing wrong with the pacing on Sex Criminals is that Fraction seemed to bring his release schedule from Hawkeye with him when he left Marvel.

I think the comic lost some of its energy once they started elaborating upon the Magical Orgasm Universe in detriment to Suzie and Jon's relationship. The latest issue reminds me of Gantz in a weird way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Current Valiant is really good and their digital comics go on sale a couple times a year. Definitely check it out. Archer & Armstrong and Ivar, Timewalker are my favorites.

90s Valiant was interesting and definitely had some quality writers and artists, but I haven't really read enough to offer any suggestions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Read Valiant. I don't know how everyone who loves superhero books isn't already reading it but there you go.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You can't go wrong with any Valiant. Even the weakest thing, Shadowman, is still pretty decent. And everything else is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Someone on reddit posted a comprehensive reading order for the New Valiant stuff that I found pretty useful.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Lurdiak posted:

Invincible is full of gore and is about as well-written as The Boys.

Is there even a name for the genre? Invincible, Authority, The Boys, Uber they all have this over the top interpretation of what super heroes would be like in the real world. Seems like just not very many titles.

Uber is totally fantastic though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Washout posted:

Is there even a name for the genre? Invincible, Authority, The Boys, Uber they all have this over the top interpretation of what super heroes would be like in the real world. Seems like just not very many titles.

Well, I have a name for it, but I don't think it's one the creators would enjoy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really liked the first couple years of Invincible, but then I kind of lost track of it and heard it basically devolved into ridiculous violence. That's a shame because it started off really well.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Washout posted:

It's similar to A Song of Ice and Fire (at least the first couple books) where it takes an established genre, and turns it on its head. I don't believe there's an actual name for it though. If you like stuff in that vein, you may want to check out The Pro by Garth Ennis. It's a one shot about a prostitute who gets super powers.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

Is there even a name for the genre?
Suggested For Mature Readers

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

X-O posted:

I really liked the first couple years of Invincible, but then I kind of lost track of it and heard it basically devolved into ridiculous violence. That's a shame because it started off really well.

Yeah, it went wayyyy off the rails of "Here is a neat coming of age superhero story." to Justice League lets run around the universe.

Jedi posted:

It's similar to A Song of Ice and Fire (at least the first couple books) where it takes an established genre, and turns it on its head. I don't believe there's an actual name for it though. If you like stuff in that vein, you may want to check out The Pro by Garth Ennis. It's a one shot about a prostitute who gets super powers.

Oh yeah already read The Pro and loved it to death. I thought the genre had started to take off with how popular those books were but Nothing new except Uber it looks like. Has there even been a good successor to Nextwave?

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 14, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Washout posted:

Irredeemable by Waid would be what you want. Maybe Supergods by Ellis.

Plus Miracleman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zachack posted:

Irredeemable by Waid would be what you want. Maybe Supergods by Ellis.

Plus Miracleman.

Irredeemable is great stuff, not sure it's really like those books though. Anyway, everyone should read both it and Incorruptible as they are both fantastic. Especially Incorruptible.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Washout posted:

Oh yeah already read The Pro and loved it to death. I thought the genre had started to take off with how popular those books were but Nothing new except Uber it looks like.

There's also Ultra from Image. It's a quick 8 issue mini-series. I haven't finished it yet, but it seems to be in a slightly similar vein. It's not as over the top as The Boys or The Pro, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-O posted:

Irredeemable is great stuff, not sure it's really like those books though. Anyway, everyone should read both it and Incorruptible as they are both fantastic. Especially Incorruptible.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Irredeemable close on the spectrum where Invincible and Authority exist, although I don't recall how gory it was (maybe around Authority? ). Uber is imo the one that's kinda off.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Jedi posted:

There's also Ultra from Image. It's a quick 8 issue mini-series. I haven't finished it yet, but it seems to be in a slightly similar vein. It's not as over the top as The Boys or The Pro, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Ultra seems like it takes place in the same universe as The Boys except way less ultra violence. Like what would Taylor Swift be like if she had superpowers and had to kill some dudes.

Zachack posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Irredeemable close on the spectrum where Invincible and Authority exist, although I don't recall how gory it was (maybe around Authority? ). Uber is imo the one that's kinda off.

Uber is closer to crossed in some sections, but not as insane, although pretty insane. It's basically an excuse to draw super powered Nazis and then watch them explode.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 15, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm a terrible person and only really read mainline superhero books. My wife however seems to really be getting into indy stuff.

So far I've picked her up: Bitch Planet, Rat Queens, Lady Killer, and that first big rear end Saga omnibus.
She's enjoyed all those so far. She read walking dead and some invincible, but she finds super long story arcs a bit exhausting (and she's back in school and still working full time cuz she's basically wonder woman).

What do I grab next?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Norns posted:

I'm a terrible person and only really read mainline superhero books. My wife however seems to really be getting into indy stuff.

So far I've picked her up: Bitch Planet, Rat Queens, Lady Killer, and that first big rear end Saga omnibus.
She's enjoyed all those so far. She read walking dead and some invincible, but she finds super long story arcs a bit exhausting (and she's back in school and still working full time cuz she's basically wonder woman).

What do I grab next?

If she's liking stuff with female main characters - Lazarus? Revival? I quite like Copperhead, too, which doesn't get enough love - it's a sci-fi/western cop drama about a single mom and her angry war veteran partner, among other things.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sex Criminals, Whiteout, Queen & Country, Promethea, maybe Fatale, Finder, Love & Rockets. If you want her to try cape books maybe start with Soule's She Hulk.

I will anti-recommend Strangers in Paradise (thought it was poor) and Rachel Rising (got to like issue 15 and nothing was happening, characters are morons).

"Characters are morons" applies to Revival too, although what I read at least spun its wheels a bit less.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 15, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fatale is one of the best things I've ever read and it's also a great gateway to other Brubaker/Phillips stuff.

What do you mean by "she doesn't like long storylines", like how long do you mean?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

zoux posted:

Fatale is one of the best things I've ever read and it's also a great gateway to other Brubaker/Phillips stuff.

What do you mean by "she doesn't like long storylines", like how long do you mean?

She leans more into self contained stuff with finite endings. I guess she finds the circular stories in super hero books frustrating?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Norns posted:

She leans more into self contained stuff with finite endings. I guess she finds the circular stories in super hero books frustrating?

Well a lot of these indie series do have finite endings, they just happen after 60 issues. Usually they have smaller internal arcs, take Southern Bastards for example, it does four issue story arcs within the larger over arching story lines (and is unbelievably good).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Norns posted:

(and she's back in school and still working full time cuz she's basically wonder woman).

Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman! :-D

Sandman?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

She did say she wanted to check out the She Hulk run that was recomend. So who knows.

It's a good excuse to start filling up some bookshelves, and to expand my own reading.

Uthor posted:

Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman! :-D

Sandman?

She's actually read sandman. Likes Gaiman quite a bit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe dig up Lucifer for her? It's a spin-off of Sandman.

The Wicked & The Divine might be up her alley, but might not be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Norns posted:

She did say she wanted to check out the She Hulk run that was recomend. So who knows.

It's a good excuse to start filling up some bookshelves, and to expand my own reading.

She's actually read sandman. Likes Gaiman quite a bit.

If she digs Gaiman I recommend his Black Orchid book, it's a self contained revamping of an old DC character, like if Sandman was only 3 issues long. I was kinda mad when DC brought her back for Nu52 as a government agent, since Gaiman said part of his goal was to write a super-hero book where the hero never punches anyone.

Also second, third and fourthing Sex Criminals

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

If she's liking stuff with female main characters - Lazarus? Revival? I quite like Copperhead, too, which doesn't get enough love - it's a sci-fi/western cop drama about a single mom and her angry war veteran partner, among other things.

All three of these books are great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Glory holy poo poo Glory

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Washout posted:

Is there anything recent like The Boys spin offs or The Authority have any newer stuff released? Or are there any newer books in the same vein? Super duper powers and a bunch of gore?

Man I could do with more in the vein of No Hero or Black Summer.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Is the Multiversity HC that just came out self contained or do I need a bunch of tie ins. Piecing together the reading order for Morrison's Batman run was a bit much for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sporklift posted:

Is the Multiversity HC that just came out self contained or do I need a bunch of tie ins. Piecing together the reading order for Morrison's Batman run was a bit much for me.

There's some setup / carry-over from Final Crisis with Nix Uotan (and from one issue of his run on Action), but it's pretty self-contained.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

sporklift posted:

Multiversity is meant to be a standalone read. It is packed to the brim with references to DC history, but they're mostly cosmetic and don't get in the way of the story being told.

As for Batman, I find this a very comprehensive breakdown of the reading order both in trades and in singles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Alright so I'm wrapping up the end of Morrison's x-men run. Also reading Claremont run prior, made me realize how much abuse single characters take.

Wondering if there are any comics the deal with the mental health issues of Heroes with human minds constantly dying, being reborn, saving the galaxy, getting tortured, meeting gods, becoming gods... You get it.