Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He had to super-punch himself when no-one was looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ran into a kryptonite doorknob.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teen Doomsday was hitting on his girl.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So here's a thought I've been having:

Superman's probably the only character I can think of whose story gets stronger with a change in (apparent) ethnicity. Assuming, of course, you leave the Kents exactly the same.

And when I say that, I don't mean if you change other characters their stories fall apart. Nor do I mean his story wouldn't change at all.

What I mean is that one of the intended aspects of Superman's mythos is his status as an outsider looking in on humanity who is, in many ways, one of the most human people around. And the changes that would come with altering Clark, but not the Kents, would have a major impact on Clark, but not by changing this aspect, but by adding an underline to it.

Clark is a kid who thought he was just a normal person, had it revealed to him that he wasn't, and then proceeds to lead his life being the only one who knows he's different. Which isn't to say the weight of that difference isn't heavy upon (good portrayals of) him.

But picture, for a moment, a non-white looking kid adopted by two white parents and raised in a small town in Kansas. You don't have to make anyone in Smallville racists for that kid to feel like the odd one out.

Now, I'm not making a call to change the current Superman, it's just something I was thinking of branching off a previous discussion I had about Peter Parker being one of the few heroes whose ethnicity you could change while having almost no impact on anything else about him.

Batman and Superman were on the list of characters who you couldn't change without hugely changing who they are. Further thought lead to the above.

Just some comic-based navel gazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They tried that already with Lois Lane.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts. Superman's probably the character who would be improved most and lose the least by becoming non-white.

It'd also make people who view him as a symbol of the perfect white man really super angry. It's unfortunate that it will never, ever happen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Strange Fruit is doing Superman arriving in the early 20th century South, but instead of a baby, he lands as a giant, powerful, naked black man. The first thing he does it beat up a group of KKK guys with a tree trunk and wrap one of their confederate flags around him as a loincloth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pastiches can never have the pop culture power of the actual character.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

Pastiches can never have the pop culture power of the actual character.

Even DC officaly making Superman black wouldn't have much pop culture power he's been whitebread too long and everyone would know he'd be whitebread again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Adder Moray posted:

So here's a thought I've been having:

Superman's probably the only character I can think of whose story gets stronger with a change in (apparent) ethnicity. Assuming, of course, you leave the Kents exactly the same.

And when I say that, I don't mean if you change other characters their stories fall apart. Nor do I mean his story wouldn't change at all.

What I mean is that one of the intended aspects of Superman's mythos is his status as an outsider looking in on humanity who is, in many ways, one of the most human people around. And the changes that would come with altering Clark, but not the Kents, would have a major impact on Clark, but not by changing this aspect, but by adding an underline to it.

Clark is a kid who thought he was just a normal person, had it revealed to him that he wasn't, and then proceeds to lead his life being the only one who knows he's different. Which isn't to say the weight of that difference isn't heavy upon (good portrayals of) him.

But picture, for a moment, a non-white looking kid adopted by two white parents and raised in a small town in Kansas. You don't have to make anyone in Smallville racists for that kid to feel like the odd one out.

Now, I'm not making a call to change the current Superman, it's just something I was thinking of branching off a previous discussion I had about Peter Parker being one of the few heroes whose ethnicity you could change while having almost no impact on anything else about him.

Batman and Superman were on the list of characters who you couldn't change without hugely changing who they are. Further thought lead to the above.

Just some comic-based navel gazing.

Not quite the same thing you want but the Superman on JLA: Gods & Monsters was raised by mexican inmigrants while the current Superman on Earth 2 is black.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think Clark learning from getting into trouble in his youth is terribly out of order.

No, see, that cover implies that Clark may have done A Bad Thing when he was younger, and we can't have that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Equeen posted:

No, see, that cover implies that Clark may have done A Bad Thing when he was younger, and we can't have that.

This unironically.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Psh, Smallville Clark embarked on a life of crime like 5 or 6 times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Smallville was a very Silver Age show if you think about it.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

CharlestheHammer posted:

This unironically.

I probably should been more clear, but by "bad thing", I just meant "dumb mistakes teenagers make". Surely the world can handle a story where a teenage Clark Kent did something stupid and faced the consequences.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Smallville was a very Silver Age show if you think about it.

Oh come on, that'd mean Clark would be hit with red kryptonite like every 5th epis- I see your point.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Equeen posted:

I probably should been more clear, but by "bad thing", I just meant "dumb mistakes teenagers make". Surely the world can handle a story where a teenage Clark Kent did something stupid and faced the consequences.

If he got in a fight with some local assholes because they were doing something he found unacceptable, then sure, absolutely. Basically it's cool as long as he's not the rear end in a top hat. Brash and reckless youth makes sense, but he needs to have a good reason to start swinging.

17-year-old Clark was already at least mostly invulnerable though, in pretty much every version of the canon, so the black eye makes no sense.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts. Superman's probably the character who would be improved most and lose the least by becoming non-white.

It'd also make people who view him as a symbol of the perfect white man really super angry. It's unfortunate that it will never, ever happen.

It's not like main canon or anything but I'm pretty sure Clark was non white in Gods and Monsters Superman.

Chaos Hippy posted:

If he got in a fight with some local assholes because they were doing something he found unacceptable, then sure, absolutely. Basically it's cool as long as he's not the rear end in a top hat. Brash and reckless youth makes sense, but he needs to have a good reason to start swinging.

17-year-old Clark was already at least mostly invulnerable though, in pretty much every version of the canon, so the black eye makes no sense.

It's cool that you've already read the issue and know how it's presented, but could you enlighten us on how it actually happened?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

How is it not obvious that I was speaking hypothetically?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Apparently JRjr has confirmed on a panel that he's leaving Superman for an undisclosed new DC book.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/07/mark-bagley-assures-john-romita-jr-that-he-has-never-met-his-wife-amazing-houston-comic-con/

e:\/ It's BC and they didn't transcribe those words, so "apparently"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 8, 2015

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently JRjr has confirmed on a panel that he's leaving Superman for an undisclosed new DC book.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/07/mark-bagley-assures-john-romita-jr-that-he-has-never-met-his-wife-amazing-houston-comic-con/

I love the first half of that sentence.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Apparently JRjr has confirmed on a panel'?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, he was on a panel. It's a bit awkwardly phrased, but not really incorrect.

Granted, someone who writes for a living (I hesitate to call RJ a writer and definitely not a journalist) should probably be able to avoid awkward phrasing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Some crazy poo poo went down in Action this week. It looks like Wrath is Eclipso and wonder how long until Lee Lambert is going to have what happened to her bite her in the rear end.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some American Alien pages, from Nick Dragotta's twitter

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh drat. I didn't put it together than the guy who did the amazing Peter Parker/Johnny Storm roommates issue of FF was on that till now.

In Batman/Superman, the second epilogue picks up on the end of Action Comics, if you were just reading that.
The first is a nice callback to the bench scene in the first issue of BM/SM. Would've been nice to get Jae Lee back for that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 10, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Lois and Clark, and got really disappointed in Jurgens/editors for a sec before I remembered that the Cyborg Superman we have now is Kara's dad rather than Hank Henshaw.

It was okay. I like the premise, but not much happened and they wasted space on a Convergence recap they could've just hinted at. I'm in for seeing Lee Weeks draw some big scale action stuff coming up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I thought that it had a weird pacing, like things have just happening when bam! the issue just ends. Aside of that it was a solid first issue.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Personally I think the basic concept is really wrong headed and stupid.

If people want more Post Crisis Supes then they'd actually want to keep reading his story in his own setting and universe not in some weird convoluted thing where he's in the new 52 world post Truth.

This is like that stupid Batman Beyond setup where it's Batman Beyond but not Terry and the Tim involved is some really complicated explanation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Personally I think the basic concept is really wrong headed and stupid.

If people want more Post Crisis Supes then they'd actually want to keep reading his story in his own setting and universe not in some weird convoluted thing where he's in the new 52 world post Truth.

This is like that stupid Batman Beyond setup where it's Batman Beyond but not Terry and the Tim involved is some really complicated explanation.

I'm willing to give this a shot and get a glimpse of the long game.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm new to this thread, but figured this was the place to ask: Is there a general consensus on Superman's, say, top villains? I don't want to pigeonhole him to just 10, or force people to name 10, but it seems like, more than anyone else, the scale of Superman's enemies is all over the place, from mortal to God.

I don't read a ton of Supes, but I've read him casually since the mid-80s, and a few really seem to stick out:

- Darkseid
- Doomsday
- Metallo
- Luthor
- Brainiac
- Bizarro
- Cyborg Superman/Henshaw

Plus, I randomly seemed to buy issues where he faces Joker.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I'm new to this thread, but figured this was the place to ask: Is there a general consensus on Superman's, say, top villains? I don't want to pigeonhole him to just 10, or force people to name 10, but it seems like, more than anyone else, the scale of Superman's enemies is all over the place, from mortal to God.

I don't read a ton of Supes, but I've read him casually since the mid-80s, and a few really seem to stick out:

- Darkseid
- Doomsday
- Metallo
- Luthor
- Brainiac
- Bizarro
- Cyborg Superman/Henshaw

Plus, I randomly seemed to buy issues where he faces Joker.

Don't forget Mxy!

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Replacing Henshaw with Zor-El was what caused me to finally give up on modern Superman comics. I absolutely loved that character and they just threw him in the trash in favor of another goddamn surviving Kryptonian, as if there aren't enough of those bastards flying around. When I hear about some of the cool new stuff, like that run where he's mortal for a little while and the old Superman being reintroduced in canon, it makes me want to pick it back up again. But then I remember that they loving canned one of my favorite villains for no discernible reason and it reminds me that I don't want to give them any money anymore.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Esroc posted:

Henshaw... the old Superman being reintroduced in canon

Not promising anything, but you might wanna pick up the next issue...

e: Not to tell you to get over it, but Cybey has only really had a major part in Supergirl.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 21, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Don't forget Mxy!

I'd count Mxy ahead of everyone in that list but Luthor, really. And Toyman and Mongul are also on the list, I'd say.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zod whenever they decide to bring him out. Parasite should be near the bottom, but still present.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not promising anything, but you might wanna pick up the next issue...

e: Not to tell you to get over it, but Cybey has only really had a major part in Supergirl.

Is this the one being written by Jurgens? Would someone who really misses pre-reboot Superman want to read this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Is this the one being written by Jurgens? Would someone who really misses pre-reboot Superman want to read this?

Post Crisis Superman is my Superman and I rather enjoyed it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Ugh. I'm trying to figure out how I might catch up on the Superman Family comics but DC still loves spreading stories out over two dozen different comics and I don't even know where to begin. Anyone know a site that might have an issue-by-issue list of just the Superman comics I need to read to catch up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Esroc posted:

Ugh. I'm trying to figure out how I might catch up on the Superman Family comics but DC still loves spreading stories out over two dozen different comics and I don't even know where to begin. Anyone know a site that might have an issue-by-issue list of just the Superman comics I need to read to catch up?

Action by Morrison (currently on sale on Comixology), Paks Action run, Geoff Johns Superman run.

• Locked thread