Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Work is replacing my day 1 15" rMPB with either last generation 15" rMBP with 16gb ram and 512mb sad or a brand new 13" rMBP w/ 1TB ssd.

Any preference between the two aside from screen size? Will the new SSD in the 13" be noticeably faster? Is the discreet graphics of the 15" be worth it?

I too wish I could drive a U3415w but it doesn't seem like a pleasant option at 30Hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
depends on what you're doing with the laptop but many people would die for a 1tb ssd.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sellouts posted:

Work is replacing my day 1 15" rMPB with either last generation 15" rMBP with 16gb ram and 512mb sad or a brand new 13" rMBP w/ 1TB ssd.

Any preference between the two aside from screen size? Will the new SSD in the 13" be noticeably faster? Is the discreet graphics of the 15" be worth it?

I too wish I could drive a U3415w but it doesn't seem like a pleasant option at 30Hz.

The 2014+ rMBPs have the new gen mPCIe SSDs which are faster than the prior rMBP. This years model and last years model should be more or less the same performance wise with storage.

If you'd be better served with a quad-core, I'd say go with the 15" and grab a Samsung T1 external for additional storage (or any USB3.0 SSD that uses UASP). If processor doesn't matter as much, grab the 13", but I'd max the memory before the drive (if your work gives you that choice).

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hate they didn't redesign the mouse. It gives me horrible RSI.

flosofl posted:

Because people are stupid and don't realize that Watergate referred to a specific event that occurred at the Watergate Office Complex (burglars linked to the CRP breaking into the DNC offices). So they append -gate to any scandal since Watergate was one the most infamous in US history reaching as it did to the office of the president. "Gate" being used as a suffix for a scandal has so permeated our culture that I would not be surprised of children being confused when they learn that Watergate was in fact NOT a scandal involving water.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cingulate posted:

I hate they didn't redesign the mouse. It gives me horrible RSI.

Feh. Now excuse me while I go tie an onion on my belt. One of the yellow ones, on account of the war.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Greetings Mac goons! I have a Late-2012 21.5" iMac which was ordered without the stand, but instead the VESA mount. Does anyone know if it's possible to attach the OEM stand option if I picked one up on Amazon/eBay? I'm not squeamish about taking things apart, provided a decent guide is available.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a VESA mount solution that looks somewhat similar to the stylings of an iMac?

Thanks!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I met a young person who, when I mentioned Watergate as a joke to a friend of mine, asked me if that was about the time that the iPhone wasnt water proof or something.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Greetings Mac goons! I have a Late-2012 21.5" iMac which was ordered without the stand, but instead the VESA mount. Does anyone know if it's possible to attach the OEM stand option if I picked one up on Amazon/eBay? I'm not squeamish about taking things apart, provided a decent guide is available.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a VESA mount solution that looks somewhat similar to the stylings of an iMac?

Thanks!

There's a bunch of swing arm mounts out there with with aluminum finishes that will look fine. Just look on Amazon, NewEgg, or Monoprice.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So refurb time capsule 2TB is $179 which is a lot less than new. Is Apple clearing them out or something? Something wrong with them?

I'm thinking about setting up 2-3 of them in my house. How well do they work together the way they are supposed to? The bridge ones will be connected to the router one via powerline ethernet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

So refurb time capsule 2TB is $179 which is a lot less than new.
Margin on the TC is insane so the refurbished models are always a good deal.

Shaocaholica posted:

Is Apple clearing them out or something?
Maybe eventually. They're over 2 years old now and 2-3TB are absurd capacities to offer these days.

Shaocaholica posted:

Something wrong with them?
No.

I don't know why you'd be buying multiple Time Capsules. Managing data in that environment seems like a chore. If you want a TC, just get one and supplement with other access points as needed. I've used TC+AEBS setups in the past and they work great. You should probably head to the home networking thread though as this stuff is discussed over there.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't know why you'd be buying multiple Time Capsules. Managing data in that environment seems like a chore. If you want a TC, just get one and supplement with other access points as needed. I've used TC+AEBS setups in the past and they work great. You should probably head to the home networking thread though as this stuff is discussed over there.

Thanks. I just wanted the TCs because they are so cheap compared to the AE especially since you can't turn a AE into a TC without some hard to find proprietary small bits. For $50 more you also get a 2TB drive! I'm not worried about the 'overhead'. I figure I'll just have a bunch of extra network shares.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Arrowsmith posted:

I have an rMB and am curious about my external monitor options.

I'm really jonesing for the Dell U3415w, but I'm not sure how the pairing would work out.

I have one at work, it's fantastic and I can't recommend it enough.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
The M key came off of my bluetooth keyboard, and I think one of the plastic pieces broke (are there supposed to be two plastic pieces holding the key on, or three?). Is this something the genius bar can fix? It seems so, so simple, I just don't know what I'm doing and can't fix it myself.

Here's what I've got. I can't tell if those two top pieces should be separate or if they were connected and broke apart.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 19, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, the two bits at the top should be one piece.

Apple Store's have been pretty decent at sorting out the odd broken key for me in the past.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

mitztronic posted:

RIP my power adapter early 2013-2015. Still under apple care so hoping they will replace it, although it seems hit or miss. I have a 5 hour gig tonight so I'm hoping I can just walk into an apple store and have it swapped (or told I have to buy a new one... I don't really have the option of trying multiple apple stores)

They will replace yours under AppleCare, but a couple of years ago I had to buy an out of warranty replacement. I straight up asked for a discount, and to my surprise, received one. I also received a brief lesson on how to avoid putting any strain on the weak point where the wire enters the power brick.

Despite following this advice, I have just had to have another replaced under Applecare. Again, the wire had fractured inside the insulation where it enters the brick. I wish they'd make the power supplies a bit more robust.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
But the aesthetics of unmitigated and beautiful industrial design!

I really don't think I put undue stress on the weak point, but having had my hands on a few different magsafes over the past few years, I think the internal fraying is inevitable. The last time I replaced one at the apple store and asked about not paying full price I got a "full price only, sorry." :(

Love the magnet end, hate the brick end.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It's the quintessential example of the industrial design team overruling the engineering team.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just noticed this weird sparkling effect that my rMBP has started doing. I took a slow-mo video with my iPhone against a black background to make it more apparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTTlyJiHUSs

Interestingly enough, it gets worse if I disable graphics switching (forced NVIDIA) so I don't think it's isolated to a single GPU. Any guess if I'm looking at a logic board replacement? I've got an appointment for Thursday, but would like an idea of what I'm against before I head in if anyone has seen this before.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Possibly unrelated, Adobe suggests disabling OpenCL to fix some new rendering issues in El Cap. Going software-only solved some problems I thought might have been hardware failing. Had I known, I'd have stayed on Yosemite for a bit longer at home.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kuskus posted:

Possibly unrelated, Adobe suggests disabling OpenCL to fix some new rendering issues in El Cap. Going software-only solved some problems I thought might have been hardware failing. Had I known, I'd have stayed on Yosemite for a bit longer at home.
Yeah this is pervasive through all applications and across the entire screen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah this is pervasive through all applications and across the entire screen.
I bought my parents the mid-range Mini last year for Christmas (more like present to me - no more PC support) and he was complaining about "sparkles" especially when the display woke from sleep. I think Apple ended up replacing it at least twice in the space of two weeks.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

What big changes are going to come along with skylake? I'm in the market for a new laptop, and am wondering if it's a good time to pick up a 13" rMBP. Usually I'd have no problem waiting for March, but I'm not sure if I can get by for 5 months without a laptop.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

App13 posted:

What big changes are going to come along with skylake? I'm in the market for a new laptop, and am wondering if it's a good time to pick up a 13" rMBP. Usually I'd have no problem waiting for March, but I'm not sure if I can get by for 5 months without a laptop.

Thunderbolt 3 (along with the USB-C port it will use). I have no idea if Apple is going to take advantage of the wireless charging stuff Skylake supports.

Broadwell was considered a "tick", so I wouldn't expect any big jumps in performance since this is a "tock" release.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Interestingly enough, it gets worse if I disable graphics switching (forced NVIDIA) so I don't think it's isolated to a single GPU. Any guess if I'm looking at a logic board replacement? I've got an appointment for Thursday, but would like an idea of what I'm against before I head in if anyone has seen this before.

Those machines have a DisplayPort switch IC to handle the graphics switching; it's probably going bad. That would require a logic board replacement.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

App13 posted:

Beside thunderbolt 3, moving to skylake doubles max ram to 32GB and quicksync get upgraded to 4k h264/h265 (so you should able to do 4k airplay mirroring when they make a 4k appletv)
Also the new XPS 13" has a claimed battery life of 18 hours, which should mean a macbookpro that lasts longer or is smaller.

Work just got me a 13" rMBP yesterday, so i'm just going to enjoy it

Perplx fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 20, 2015

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I posted earlier but I have a late 2012 iMac and now I'm needing a laptop since I just started school. I was just going to get the MBP but now I'm starting to rethink my whole strategy. I think if I get a fast MBP, I'm never going to use the iMac unless I'm doing photo editing (for the big screen).

I'm thinking about selling the iMac while it's still worth something and then switching completely to the MBP. I would have to buy a good 27inch monitor for when I want to edit photos and some kind of external storage solution (have about 2TB of photos I need to keep archived). Sound like a crazy idea?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Get the MBP and use them both for a few weeks and see which you like more.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I was looking to get a second-hand MBP 15" retina. I was looking at an early 2013 Macbook Pro 15" retina on craigslist. After googling the laptop model, I found that Apple had problems with it's video card. Should I be worried about the video card problems with this specific model? I emailed the person who owns it and he said he never had problems or had the logic board replaced.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/19/macbook-pro-repair/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Haggins posted:

I'm thinking about selling the iMac while it's still worth something and then switching completely to the MBP. I would have to buy a good 27inch monitor for when I want to edit photos and some kind of external storage solution (have about 2TB of photos I need to keep archived). Sound like a crazy idea?

I use a 15" MBP hooked up to a 27" IPS as my 'desktop' when I'm home. A 15" rMBP should have no issue driving a 1440p monitor for photo editing.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

How much is a good monitor that's as good as or better than my iMac?

Also what's a good storage solution for my photos? I'm at about 1.5tb and its continuing to grow. I thought about getting a drobo in the past but I have no idea if they're worth it now a days.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to buy a 2014 15" MBP? The Apple refurb is $1609 for the base, which might be the best price I can get, but I'd love to find something cheaper.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Drobos are pretty good if you want to have a no-nonsense RAID-like storage solution that requires no knowledge of setting up RAID. The most basic unit has slots for four drives; those drives can be a mix of any size drives, and can be from any mix of vendors. The main point is, you can elect to have either single or dual-drive redundancy; if one drive goes out, you don't lose any of your data. You can elect to enable dual-drive redundancy at the cost of having less total storage available.

If a drive goes bad, a red light pops on next to it. You literally eject the bad drive 'live' (even while the power is on, even while you're transferring data) and pop in a new one OOTB, the Drobo auto-formats it and copies over the data from the other drives automatically.

Also, as drives become available in bigger and bigger capacities, you can increase your available space by removing smaller drives 'live' and replacing them with bigger ones.

Two caveats with Drobo units: The first one is that they use a super-proprietary format, if your Drobo unit itself fails, you literally have to buy another Drobo to read your data back. You can't read them in a standard USB enclosure. The second is that if they discontinue a model, you'll never be able to get support for it, and it's super doubtful you'd be able to get Drobo replacement components.

Also, they're not speed demons; you wouldn't use one to edit video, but they'd be great for doing photos.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Is it worth to buy a fully maxed out second hand late 2013 MBP 15" (1TB SSD + discrete video card) + apple care until 2017 for $1600? It's The SSD and apple care makes it tempting but $1600 is a lot for a two year old compute. It's in great condition with only 120 battery cycles

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

Is it worth to buy a fully maxed out second hand late 2013 MBP 15" (1TB SSD + discrete video card) + apple care until 2017 for $1600? It's The SSD and apple care makes it tempting but $1600 is a lot for a two year old compute. It's in great condition with only 120 battery cycles
I use that exact machine and it's still ridiculously fast. That 1TB PCIe SSD is stupid fast and Haswell's still great. For development, VMs, and tons of Photoshop and Lightroom usage I've seen no reason to consider upgrading.

Also that's like half what I paid for it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I use that exact machine and it's still ridiculously fast. That 1TB PCIe SSD is stupid fast and Haswell's still great. For development, VMs, and tons of Photoshop and Lightroom usage I've seen no reason to consider upgrading.

Also that's like half what I paid for it.

Thanks swooping on the craigslist deal. I saw that the specs weren't much different then the 2014 models. The 16gb of ram sold it for me for VMs.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rabid Snake posted:

Thanks swooping on the craigslist deal. I saw that the specs weren't much different then the 2014 models. The 16gb of ram sold it for me for VMs.
There's very little difference between any year of the 15" rMBPs as long as they have the dedicated graphics card. Most of the improvements to computer hardware recently have been in power usage (and consequently battery life) and the actual performance hasn't gone up much.

The 15" rMBP is pretty much the best all round high performance laptop IMO and if I didn't need the added mobility of the 13" I'd still be using my 2013 15". It's really the only laptop with a decent balance of power/weight/battery life I've used recently and when I had it connected to a Thunderbolt Display it was indistinguishable from using an iMac.

Also, the 2012/2013 models have Nvidia graphics if CUDA is important to you at all so for some people they may be more useful than the newer ones with AMD GPUs.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Haggins posted:

How much is a good monitor that's as good as or better than my iMac?

Also what's a good storage solution for my photos? I'm at about 1.5tb and its continuing to grow. I thought about getting a drobo in the past but I have no idea if they're worth it now a days.

I use a Dell UltraSharp U2715H. It's currently $470 on Amazon. That is at least similar quality to a 1440p 27" iMac screen (if not the exact same panel). You can find cheaper monitors with the same or similar panel as the U2715H, but you may lose some input options, quality control (some of the cheap Korean brands get panels that were rejected by Apple/Dell/Samsung/etc), and/or factory calibration (could be a selling point for you for photo editing if you aren't serious enough to use a hardware calibrator). There's a monitor thread in SH/SC that can help you out with choosing a monitor.

For storage, something like a Drobo certainly can work. An external USB3 HDD (or USB3 enclosure + internal drive) can certainly work as well. Right now I have an external HDD and other peripherals hooked up to a USB hub, so when I 'dock' all I have to do is connect 1 USB and the external monitor cable. There are also thunderbolt docks that can consolidate everything into 1 cable, but those are more expensive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO if you absolutely positively can't afford to lose any data, you get the Drobo or something similar. In my experience, shoving a single drive into an enclosure, especially if it gets carried around a lot, gives you one big fat point of failure. Unless you back it up onto another drive, by which point you may as well have a JBOD array.

With the Drobo, if any single drive fails, you literally just hot swap in another drive and go about your business, the Drobo takes care of the formatting and copying.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Friend of mine is trying to pawn off his macbook pro, 2011, with 500 SSD and 16gig ram, for 850 euros. It's got a warranty of two years, for sure, but it's still a 4 year old computer, isn't it a tad much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mean demand sets the price. If he can't find a buyer then yes it is too much. If he can then it's not. At a glance it seems a little high to me but there are plenty of idiots out there waiting to get fleeced.