Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

This is almost exactly right, though they should still do a staged rollout, but just have it be a short period of time. Like maybe 3 days or something.

Just hire me Google, I'll get this poo poo ironed out for you.

Totally agree. I'm getting a bit more annoyed every day when I come home from work, hit 'update' on both of my N7 2013s, and nothing happens. I'm not janitoring my devices; I bought into Nexus so I wouldn't have to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What competes directly with the Moto G these days? Bonus points if it's quad band, dual sim, or under 5.2"

My Moto X 2013 developer edition with the white fiberglass back is not aging well. At all.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 21, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

So if I understand this right LG is going to have the 6.0 update delivered to the G4 before all nexuses are updated? Lmbo

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'd been reluctant to leave HTC because I actually get some use out of BoomSound... so they drop BoomSound from their new flagship. Things are getting rough for the buyer who won't give up MicroSD.
Seriously put 2015 and mSD as your search terms and what actually shows up? Anything?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Syrinxx posted:

So if I understand this right LG is going to have the 6.0 update delivered to the G4 before all nexuses are updated? Lmbo

Isn't that only in Poland or something like that?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Super Dude posted:

Isn't the Z5C the same size as the Z3C?

What do you need an SD slot for when you can store almost everything on the cloud? Are ever not connected to data or wifi?

Yea but without a removable battery and wireless charging how will I be able to download and watch all those animes in the cloud?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

FistEnergy posted:

I'm not janitoring my devices; I bought into Nexus so I wouldn't have to do so.

What? Nexus devices are explicitly for janitoring.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, this. I shouldn't have to gently caress with my phone to have the latest software. There's no excuse for not having all OTAs go out day one. If they're scared of bricking phones, they need to do more testing. If they're worried about server load, lol, they're Google and can handle both nexus owners updating simultaneously.

It was always my impression that carriers pushed for the long and seemingly random wait times on updates so they didn't end up with all their clueless customers calling at once.

Don't really know why they'd do that on something like 2013 nexus 7 tho, unless it was a carrier/lte unit?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
Techcrunch did a review for the 6P. It is a bad review for a good phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trossnz15E0

"Amold"

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Whizbang posted:

Or a reasonably priced good phone with stock software to show off what Android can be.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Whizbang posted:

What are you basing this on? I've had Android back to the G1 and I buy Nexus devices for pure Android. But I don't feel like installing the sdks on my laptop or desktop again to apply updates. That's what "over the air" is for.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Seriously put 2015 and mSD as your search terms and what actually shows up? Anything?

Moto X, LG G4, probably a lot of others I'm forgetting.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

eviljimmy posted:

Techcrunch did a review for the 6P. It is a bad review for a good phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trossnz15E0

"Amold"

This guy has barely even heard of Android.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Hadlock posted:

What competes directly with the Moto G these days? Bonus points if it's quad band, dual sim, or under 5.2"

My Moto X 2013 developer edition with the white fiberglass back is not aging well. At all.

How about a new in box Nexus 5?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
There's a 15000 mAh portable battery that's Quick Charge 2.0 compatible on Amazon for $22: http://amzn.to/1M6f3Nk using code VLS2CENC at checkout. $34.99 - $13 coupon VLS2CENC = $21.99

We have two quick charge phones in the household now and these quick chargers are a godsend.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

lowcrabdiet posted:

There's a 15000 mAh portable battery that's Quick Charge 2.0 compatible on Amazon for $22: http://amzn.to/1M6f3Nk using code VLS2CENC at checkout. $34.99 - $13 coupon VLS2CENC = $21.99

We have two quick charge phones in the household now and these quick chargers are a godsend.

I had some Amazon credit and snagged this, thanks. I hope it's fairly portable and not omg huge. Seems handy to have around.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

lowcrabdiet posted:

The deals are getting tempting but I held off on buying any qc stuff for my N5 and now I'm glad since the N6P doesn't support it. I'll pick up a battery and a couple 15w type-C chargers when Christmas sales roll around.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Hadlock posted:

Zenfone 2

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ummmmm. I just got an app permissions pop up from google fit.
On my N7.
On android 5.0.1.

Wut?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Ummmmm. I just got an app permissions pop up from google fit.
On my N7.
On android 5.0.1.

Wut?

Does it have an accelerometer?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Does it have an accelerometer?
Dont think so. It was just saying I'd met my goal for the day from the phone.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

lowcrabdiet posted:

Sold. Thank you. I've been meaning to pick up a new battery pack and my Moto X has quickcharge. :hfive:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

Sold. Thank you. I've been meaning to pick up a new battery pack and my Moto X has quickcharge. :hfive:

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but this is strange...unless I have my Moto models confused.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If it truly is QC 2.0 compliant, it will work. If not, qualcomm could force them to change the branding of their product.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hotsauce posted:

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but this is strange...unless I have my Moto models confused.

Sorry, should have specified 2014 Moto X. I have a car QC 2.0 compatible charger and it works great.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Aukey can't do QC for the new Moto X for some reason, I found out the hard way with my old Aukey QC battery pack. They'll give you a full refund, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Logikv9 posted:

Aukey can't do QC for the new Moto X for some reason, I found out the hard way with my old Aukey QC battery pack. They'll give you a full refund, though.

They need to stop advertising it as a QC charger then. Moto is on the official list from Qualcomm as being a QC device, that means their charger is out of spec.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Gold and a Pager posted:

?? It seems to be working fine on my Nexus 5. My phone's in English not German though.

It's always been like this, but I keep forgetting. Features are available in English first, but not German. Now on tap is highly contextual and as most of my communication is happening in German using the phone in any other language wouldn't make too much sense. Let's just wait it out.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So, recently the Google Search bar on my home screen (on a OnePlus One) has turned into a mini preview of one of the Now cards instead of the little search box looking thing it used to be. Like for instance it's currently showing a mini version of the weather card. That's cool, but when I press it, it either opens Google Now and scrolls down to the weather card, meaning I have to scroll back up again if I want to actually do a search, or, if I press over to the right, it starts a voice search. There doesn't seem to be a way to start a google text search with a single press any more.

Was this a general change to the widget? If so, it's loving stupid. Anyone know how I can get the ability to search from a single press back?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

beerinator posted:

What are you basing this on? I've had Android back to the G1 and I buy Nexus devices for pure Android. But I don't feel like installing the sdks on my laptop or desktop again to apply updates. That's what "over the air" is for.

Nexuses are reference devices for developers. If you're not a developer, you should be buying some Samsung plebe poo poo.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Whizbang posted:

Nexuses are reference devices for developers. If you're not a developer, you should be buying some Samsung plebe poo poo.

Get out.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Whizbang posted:

So, by your incredible logic, all developers who own Nexus devices should have already been on the Marshmallow developer preview and google should never have sent Marshmallow out OTA, because everyone is a developer and no one needed the update.

Ok, got it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Whizbang posted:

yeah that's a dumb post

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Whizbang posted:

I know right.

https://youtu.be/QLqHZLdt_jE

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This video taught me that Nexus devices are not for developers, they are for spinning around a lot until you are dizzy :catdrugs: .

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 21, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm not up for an upgrade, but the Nexus 6P looks pretty good. What the gently caress is wrong with me? Why would I even hypothetically consider such a big dumb phone? It's only half an inch larger than my current phone.

This is how big phone makers win. Slowly. :negative:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with me? Why would I even hypothetically consider such a big dumb phone? It's only half an inch larger than my current phone.
Yeah this is me. I laughed at the N6 last year and now I don't even have much of a reason to get a 6P over a 5X but I've somehow decided that I want one.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just got the Aukey Quick Charge 2.0 30W recommended last week with the coupon yesterday and it fired up the "Turbocharging" on my 2015 MXP with no probs and topped the phone off this morning from 80-100 in a few minutes on the way to the train station. Maybe they just haven't cleared the "disclaimer" for the 2015 yet?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
Awesome, I though I was going to have to wait a week to get my 5X because I didn't pre-order right away but it shipped today and since I live in Chicago that means I get it tomorrow, which is great because my Nexus 4 is on its last legs (digitizer has been slowly dying). Time to order some USB C cables from monoprice I guess.