Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've had very good luck with GUCs.

I don't think I would take the RUCs for the PM gift, but I guess since they work on lie-flat transcon they might be more valuable now?

I wouldn't have ever taken RUCs but it means my wife will get to sit in first with me on the way to Hawaii (on a 20 year old 757) instead of me splitting the PNR to ditch her in coach so it's probably worth it for vacation happiness.

I'm 6'4" she is 5'2" no bad husband judgment please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
The RUCs will be nice for the few times a year I have to do ATL-LAX or ATL-SEA to be onsite wth my California bases people. There really isn't anything else at the platinum level that I need since I already have global entry and nexus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Arzakon posted:

I wouldn't have ever taken RUCs but it means my wife will get to sit in first with me on the way to Hawaii (on a 20 year old 757) instead of me splitting the PNR to ditch her in coach so it's probably worth it for vacation happiness.

I'm 6'4" she is 5'2" no bad husband judgment please

That's reasonable.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Small White Dragon posted:

Well, you know, even though the wife was taken her husband's name, it's questionable as to who's calling the shots.

Most of the executives running the show are US Airways folks.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
This may not be the proper thread, but I figured you guys are more familiar with the vagaries of various booking systems. Anyway, my wife and I have decided to go on a last minute (for us) trip to Dublin to see U2 late next month. I’ve found a great deal on Orbitz that includes round trip tickets on Air France from Miami and 4 nights at a hotel I love in Dublin.

However, I’m curious as to my seat changing options once I’ve booked through Orbitz. The Air France site offers seats not available on Orbitz for an additional fee ($30-50) that are much more preferable for us. If I logged onto their site after booking with Orbitz, would I still be able to pay this extra fee and change my seats? Obviously, the price for the Orbitz package is much cheaper than booking through Air France for flights and directly with the hotel for the room.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Slow Graffiti posted:

This may not be the proper thread, but I figured you guys are more familiar with the vagaries of various booking systems. Anyway, my wife and I have decided to go on a last minute (for us) trip to Dublin to see U2 late next month. I’ve found a great deal on Orbitz that includes round trip tickets on Air France from Miami and 4 nights at a hotel I love in Dublin.

However, I’m curious as to my seat changing options once I’ve booked through Orbitz. The Air France site offers seats not available on Orbitz for an additional fee ($30-50) that are much more preferable for us. If I logged onto their site after booking with Orbitz, would I still be able to pay this extra fee and change my seats? Obviously, the price for the Orbitz package is much cheaper than booking through Air France for flights and directly with the hotel for the room.

Orbitz is a travel agency, so when you book, you'll get an Air France reservation number (also known as a PNR). Once you have it, you can go to the AF website, enter the PNR and select/pay for any seat you want.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I've become a big fan of Google Flights since it got me a much cheaper and better trans-pacific travel route than Kayak did.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bloodnose posted:

I've become a big fan of Google Flights since it got me a much cheaper and better trans-pacific travel route than Kayak did.

Google flights is awesome but all it is is a slick GUI for the ITA Matrix. How is it getting you cheaper flights than Kayak? Doesn't Kayak have a very similar feature called Kayak Explore?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Honestly I have no idea. I was just trying to go CAN-WAS and Google Flights with its slick GUI got me a route through Hong Kong that was United all the way with only two stops and about a grand cheaper than the best I could get from Kayak which was 3 stops.

Granted, anything to do with Chinese airports sucks but I was surprised at the difference.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

This has been the fantastic view I've had from my hotel room since Monday.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Living the high life.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

That looks a lot like when I was stuck in Albert Lea, MN for 2 weeks a few years ago. Except put an interstate highway just beyond the parking lot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

God Albert Lea blooooooows

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

I love how the truck in the middle didn't even both to try to park in the spot because there was so much space.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Finally signed up for AwardWallet and it is warning me that I haven't been to a Hilton in a year and they might expire my points. Is this a real concern? I'm sure I can figure out something to get 20-200 HH points stuck in there if I have to.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

God Albert Lea blooooooows

My first day there:

Me: "Where can you go for lunch around here?"
Site manager: "Well, if you go back to the highway, you'll see the truck stop. Across the street, there is another truck stop!"

Me: :shepicide:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

This is why I travel with kind bars.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Lmao. Albertfucking lea???

I'm out. My grossest was Houma, LA

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

AgrippaNothing posted:

At least there's good Cajun food in Houma.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

poo poo, if we're just talking about gross, then my winner is a Baymont Inn in Janesville, WI or a skeezy Ramada in Trenton, Ontario. Both were pretty bad.

Albert Lea had an OK hotel, it was just in the gently caress middle of nowhere. At least I got to go plane spotting at MSP and check out the Mall of America on the weekends.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

And that photo was from Altus, OK. Likewise, there was nothing wrong with the hotel (just a standard Hampton Inn that happened to be the nicest hotel in town); it was just surrounded on three sides by cotton fields and on the fourth side by an Applebee's, which I ended up eating at three times over my four nights there.

My grossest hotel was some terrible Ramada Limited in Terre Haute, IN.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 25, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I stayed here for nearly 2 months.

Note that this is the picture from the hotel website. Its the best they could do.
If I laid straight on the bed, my feet would hang off the end.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

"But you get to travel!"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

"But you get to travel!"

"Rent Free!"

Got to admit though, Factory dorm is kind of worst but that doesn't really count as a hotel

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Well, and working for DoD I've had to stay in base lodging on several occasions which isn't spectacular, but at least at my grade of DoD civilian I get officer quarters.

Another question, though. Coming back I was supposed to fly SPS–DFW–DAY; however, the SPS—DFW flight was cancelled due to weather. AA put us all on vans to DFW instead, with a pseudo flight number:

I was still able to make my connection at DFW and fly that DFW–DAY segment.

Now, I've received mileage credit and PQSs for DFW–DAY, but not SPS–DFW. Do I have any chance of getting AA to grant me PQS for that van segment?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

General indicators for happiness
Hotel: Glassware in the bathroom and wet bar
Restaurant: A menu I am not comfortable expensing the priciest entree.

I've endured a lot of cramped quarters aboard ships. Sleeping in a berth in the corridor when a 500hp Detroit diesel generator that's acting up and has to have the compartment left open was a loving bitch. They were too cheap to pay the harbor for shore power too so it ran when we were docked as well lmao. That was years ago and I'm pretty shore based now and would also pay the $230 for a room on shore to avoid that.

For whatever reason I can tolerate ship nastiness more than hotel nastiness tho I hardly have to do it now days. Aboard ship the grub is usually better than applebee's even at it's worst it's still home cooked. It's more of an adventure like camping so the rules change a bit. On shore, a 3rd night at applebee's is right on the boarder of snapping for me. Chains are awful but Ruby Tuesdays has steamed broccoli if you can keep them from cooking it till it's mush... pretty much impossible outside the midwest or south.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
My travel assistant booked me a 24 min connection in IAH for an international flight to South America today.

Do I even have a chance to make this? I am flying from ORD...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Risk posted:

My travel assistant booked me a 24 min connection in IAH for an international flight to South America today.

I wouldn't gamble on IAH with anything less than 40.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Hey y'all, was hoping some of you status experts could help me out.

Right now I've got Premier Gold with UA. I currently have one segment left this year, which will put me ~5K PQM + ~$3K PQD away from Premier Platinum. Being so close, it seems like it'd be worthwhile to figure out a way to get to platinum, mostly for the benefit of higher likelihood of upgrades. First question -- do you agree with this, that it's worthwhile and the main/only benefit is higher likelihood of upgrades?

If I do want to get to platinum, I think my options are basically:
1) book enough travel to hit the PQM/PQD reqs
2) spend $25K on my recently opened Chase United Club card (unlikely that I'll spend this much by EOY)
3) buy the miles via the "Premier Accelerator". From what I can figure out, it seems like the minimum I can buy is 13K miles and it would cost around $3K, which seems like a lot but to be honest I'm totally unfamiliar with thinking about the actual dollar value of any of this status/rewards stuff

Anything I'm missing? What would you recommend? My initial thought is that I should find a way to try to hit the PQM/PQD reqs with one quick weekend trip. Any tips on how to maximize the PQM/PQD for a given trip?

Also I've been surprised at how not easy it's been to answer this question online, and I should probably just call United/Chase, but does anyone know if the miles accrued from using my card are PQM? My guess is no, but I haven't been able to find it in writing so far...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Well, and working for DoD I've had to stay in base lodging on several occasions which isn't spectacular, but at least at my grade of DoD civilian I get officer quarters.

Another question, though. Coming back I was supposed to fly SPS–DFW–DAY; however, the SPS—DFW flight was cancelled due to weather. AA put us all on vans to DFW instead, with a pseudo flight number:

Now, I've received mileage credit and PQSs for DFW–DAY, but not SPS–DFW. Do I have any chance of getting AA to grant me PQS for that van segment?

I used to live in Wichita falls. I'm so sorry you were there.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Can I just lol for a second at "Operated by A Bus"?

Like... really?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Uncle Jam posted:

I stayed here for nearly 2 months.

Note that this is the picture from the hotel website. Its the best they could do.
If I laid straight on the bed, my feet would hang off the end.

I spent 5 weeks in a La Quinta and it looked a lot like this. At least they sprung for a single room for each.

That was right around the time LaQ started their points program years ago and I somehow managed to get a ton of free stays.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Right now I've got Premier Gold with UA. I currently have one segment left this year, which will put me ~5K PQM + ~$3K PQD away from Premier Platinum. Being so close, it seems like it'd be worthwhile to figure out a way to get to platinum, mostly for the benefit of higher likelihood of upgrades. First question -- do you agree with this, that it's worthwhile and the main/only benefit is higher likelihood of upgrades?

2) spend $25K on my recently opened Chase United Club card (unlikely that I'll spend this much by EOY)
3) buy the miles via the "Premier Accelerator". From what I can figure out, it seems like the minimum I can buy is 13K miles and it would cost around $3K, which seems like a lot but to be honest I'm totally unfamiliar with thinking about the actual dollar value of any of this status/rewards stuff

Anything I'm missing? What would you recommend? My initial thought is that I should find a way to try to hit the PQM/PQD reqs with one quick weekend trip. Any tips on how to maximize the PQM/PQD for a given trip?

Also I've been surprised at how not easy it's been to answer this question online, and I should probably just call United/Chase, but does anyone know if the miles accrued from using my card are PQM? My guess is no, but I haven't been able to find it in writing so far...

Premier plat really isn't worth the 3k. Last year they bumped a poo poo ton of people up that didn't have the pqd but I think it was mainly people that didn't requal for prior year's status. You could find a transcon jaunt to give you the 5K and roll the dice they take pity on you missing the PQD.

I'm dead serious tho, for as much as you fly, you could buy more upgrades for than you'd get from Plat for $3000

And no, your UA Club Chase spend get's you award miles, not PQD.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

AgrippaNothing posted:

Premier plat really isn't worth the 3k. Last year they bumped a poo poo ton of people up that didn't have the pqd but I think it was mainly people that didn't requal for prior year's status. You could find a transcon jaunt to give you the 5K and roll the dice they take pity on you missing the PQD.

I'm dead serious tho, for as much as you fly, you could buy more upgrades for than you'd get from Plat for $3000

And no, your UA Club Chase spend get's you award miles, not PQD.

Thanks, I've been digging in a bit deeper and it seems like the PQD will be the killer. When you talk about people being bumped up even though they didn't hit PQD -- do you know did United just do this automatically on the backend, or is there any sort of negotiation involved? I think I can guess the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway :)

Good point that my money would probably be better spent towards actual upgrades than towards a chance of upgrades.

Interested if anyone else has a different perspective, but this is very helpful!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Risk posted:

Well, if your plane is exactly on time, you're in the first row, and your connecting flight is departing from the next gate over you've got a shot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Don't do it. If you were going to spend the money for the trip anyway then fine but otherwise Plat is 100% not worth it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Thanks, I've been digging in a bit deeper and it seems like the PQD will be the killer. When you talk about people being bumped up even though they didn't hit PQD -- do you know did United just do this automatically on the backend, or is there any sort of negotiation involved? I think I can guess the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway :)

Good point that my money would probably be better spent towards actual upgrades than towards a chance of upgrades.

Interested if anyone else has a different perspective, but this is very helpful!

Agrippa is 100% correct.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Well, if your plane is exactly on time, you're in the first row, and your connecting flight is departing from the next gate over you've got a shot.

I think 30min in the "legal" min connection time at IAH. I'd call the airline because they are really not supposed to do that crap.

You could try... I wouldn't. If you are in coach count on no drat bin space that's for sure.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

Thoguh posted:

The connection is exactly a little over 30 min and I am doing first class on both flights. We will see if my ORD flight does not get delayed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A few years ago I got AA to give me segments and eqms for an entire mileage run trip I missed due to a delay because of an emergency landing I was on.

I would think after calling them they'd be able to do it.