Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Looks like my co-worker was putting the /Set-Edition: parameter to ServerStandardEval since the article says to run the /get-currentedition instead of /get-targeteditions for what parameter you should put in there. Fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Bob Morales posted:

What's a good way to tell management "Jane over in accounting has no clue how to use any program on a computer. She can't print, she can't do anything in Excel, she has no idea what a font size is, I'm not going to let her monopolize the helpdesk until she gets training on Windows, Outlook Excel, and Word"

"According to our ticketing software, Jane takes up as many resources as three typical employees. I'm concerned that we're not staffed adequately to meet her needs. What if our helpdesk is busy helping other users or dealing with a crisis? Can we invest in some training so she's not waiting on our poor underpaid helpdesk monkeys?"

Of course, if you don't have ticketing, then you're stuck tap-dancing through a political minefield.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What's a good way to tell management "Jane over in accounting has no clue how to use any program on a computer. She can't print, she can't do anything in Excel, she has no idea what a font size is, I'm not going to let her monopolize the helpdesk until she gets training on Windows, Outlook Excel, and Word"

Go to a thrift store/amazon and buy a cheap set of those "How to use a computer" DVDs that are marketed to senior citizens. Leave them anonymously on her desk.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was feeling quite poorly last night and I spent alot of time thinking about my options for getting a positive result out of this mess. I thought about all the bad bosses I've had in my long and fragmented career and it occurred to me that they all had one thing in common: any sign of resistance was immediately pounced upon. Resisting their wrong-headed ideas, distorted assessments of my performance, challenging them in any way always led to a bad outcome. Anything other than submission was viewed as resistance.

I decided that instead of waiting for my boss to mediate a meeting with the HR VP (or possibly forgetting and leaving it hanging over my head) I would do two things:

1. I would go see the HR VP on my own.
2. During the meeting I would be completely passive. Not passive-aggressive mind you. I would be calm and agree with anything she said. I would let her do the talking and make sure to be responsive enough that she would feel heard. Not feeling heard would provoke her into the relentless gnawing I experienced yesterday. My boss had said "Bill is very good at taking constructive criticism" and although he doesn't actually use that criticism clearly the appearance was important to her. If he can do it so can I.

Cheryl was late so I got to sit and sweat it out for a few hours. But when she arrived I dropped by her office and I went through with my plan. I even brought my water with me so I would have my hands occupied and not accidentally make some sort of gesture she interpreted as aggressive. It was over in maybe three minutes and she seemed happy about how it went.

I walked down to my boss's office, poked my head in the door and gave her a quick recap so she knew that it was over with and had gone well. She also seemed pleased.

Of course I don't trust these ratfuckers as far as I can spit canal water. This was an effort to relieve the pressure I was feeling and I think it was a success.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off today.... Instability. I've been at my job for about 6 months and I'm on supervisor number 4 and manager number 2. Its not even like they suck and are getting fired or getting laid off for financial reasons. It just seems like the new company just likes playing musical chairs. Its not just my department either, its the whole company that does it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dick Trauma posted:

I was feeling quite poorly last night and I spent alot of time thinking about my options for getting a positive result out of this mess. I thought about all the bad bosses I've had in my long and fragmented career and it occurred to me that they all had one thing in common: any sign of resistance was immediately pounced upon. Resisting their wrong-headed ideas, distorted assessments of my performance, challenging them in any way always led to a bad outcome. Anything other than submission was viewed as resistance.

I decided that instead of waiting for my boss to mediate a meeting with the HR VP (or possibly forgetting and leaving it hanging over my head) I would do two things:

1. I would go see the HR VP on my own.
2. During the meeting I would be completely passive. Not passive-aggressive mind you. I would be calm and agree with anything she said. I would let her do the talking and make sure to be responsive enough that she would feel heard. Not feeling heard would provoke her into the relentless gnawing I experienced yesterday. My boss had said "Bill is very good at taking constructive criticism" and although he doesn't actually use that criticism clearly the appearance was important to her. If he can do it so can I.

Cheryl was late so I got to sit and sweat it out for a few hours. But when she arrived I dropped by her office and I went through with my plan. I even brought my water with me so I would have my hands occupied and not accidentally make some sort of gesture she interpreted as aggressive. It was over in maybe three minutes and she seemed happy about how it went.

I walked down to my boss's office, poked my head in the door and gave her a quick recap so she knew that it was over with and had gone well. She also seemed pleased.

Of course I don't trust these ratfuckers as far as I can spit canal water. This was an effort to relieve the pressure I was feeling and I think it was a success.

In the absence of the unicorn non-lovely-coworker environment or striking out on your own, being a broken down yes-man really is the best choice for survival in today's business world.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

If you find a way, do share. Because I need to extend to... well everyone.

Now today while I was in a meeting getting the lowdown with a VOIP provider, I was pulled out to quickly poo poo-can someones accounts etc. because apparently they completely lost their poo poo, started throwing stuff around then peaced out the building. I somehow didn't notice this despite being in a glass office a couple desks away.

Staff morale, lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

go3 posted:

In the absence of the unicorn non-lovely-coworker environment or striking out on your own, being a broken down yes-man really is the best choice for survival in today's business world.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Good advice.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Consider the Wally approach instead.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So one of our senior project guys at work decided to give notice a couple weeks ago, his last day is tomorrow. Last weekend, I had a client issue with a Dell E4100, the device lost connectivity a couple times but the logs only show the disconnect time and I'm having trouble tracking the cause.

Said project guy knows the ins and outs of the client network because he was part of a project to install all the switches, backup devices, you name it. He's got a bunch of experience setting up and troubleshooting their stuff, so I go to him to get more info because surprise, there's not much documented for their hardware (again, the job of the project team when they set up and finalized everything).

I call his desk phone, no answer, leave a voicemail. Sent a text to his mobile phone asking if he can look into the E4100 issue. Emailed him and CC'd both my manager and engineer partner, still no response. Boss called me today and said project guy is already cleaning his desk out, bullshitting with co-workers, and has been in the office the last couple days. Yet the rear end in a top hat refuses to respond to anything that requires work to fix and goes into "silent mode" since yesterday.

So yeah, gently caress assholes that quit, don't document their poo poo, and ignore requests for help because it's their last couple days. Hope assface leaves and doesn't ever come back, not the first time he's ignored requests for help but now it's worse because he knows he's heading elsewhere. What the gently caress happened to being a professional and helping out or tying up loose ends before leaving?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Seriously the owners youngest kid that interned here is dumb.

They were trying to find some 'file that he worked on' all day. He didn't save it on the network. So we got on the computer he was using and looked on the hard drive (it's been a month or two since his internship ended). Couldn't find it. Called him up on the phone and asked him where it could be.

"I'm really busy I don't have time to talk to you guys if you can't find the file."

You're doing what sitting on the couch playing Xbox? Remember this is the kid who was going to be working "on all kinds of projects from home so he needs VPN access and full rights to the file server".

So then we decided to open up Outlook through the web interface. There it is in his sent items. It's a photo of one of the buildings from the side, with a logo of one of the side companies cut-pasted on to the building. C'mon. It would have taken 3 minutes to just re-create this instead of spending time having people looking for it.

Also in there are 500 emails about snowboard trips and parties. Useless.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Well you did mention that you emailed yourself your incident report - it's usually worth a night on it to cool down and not do anything rash.

Sometimes I just get bent because I'm getting piled on, had too much caffeine, or I'm just randomly pissed off. I've learned over the years to just back away from the situation, go to the gym, etc. I tend to speak slowly and just get around it - in the past I'd get to a point and kind of blow up a bit which, as you mentioned, goes nowhere good, fast.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

slartibartfast posted:

"According to our ticketing software, Jane takes up as many resources as three typical employees. I'm concerned that we're not staffed adequately to meet her needs. What if our helpdesk is busy helping other users or dealing with a crisis? Can we invest in some training so she's not waiting on our poor underpaid helpdesk monkeys?"

Of course, if you don't have ticketing, then you're stuck tap-dancing through a political minefield.

If you don't have ticketing:

We estimate that Jane requires $hours hours of help a week on basic PC-use issues. At a average cost per technician of $hourlyRate per hour, she is costing the company $totalCost per week. I have found $value number of training courses with costs running from $lowerCost to $higherCost which, at her current technician utilization, pays for itself in terms of recovered productivity time after $totalCost / avg($lowerCost, $higherCost) weeks.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

You guys are all delusional if you think going to the boss with cold hard facts like that about a family member will result in anything. If the business is already so poorly ran that the owner's kid can get a job with any responsibility and be useless than the owner either doesnt care or will get upset at you for bringing it up.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

go3 posted:

More poo poo that pisses you off: being a broken down yes-man really is the best choice for survival in today's business world

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

We have this loving stupid side business that our owner owns, and he has a loving bunch of misfits running it. There are a hundred things wrong with this lovely side business that makes zero money and is a huge pain in the rear end for the rest of the company.

Anyway, they take orders and sell parts and ship parts. Here's the issue. Certain sales people will check parts into their own secret inventory (pen an paper) instead of the actual inventory. Then when they get an order they fill it from their own secret inventory, so that way other people can't use their parts to fill their orders.

The other thing people would do is an order would come in at 9:00am for Part # 1234, and then an order would come in at 11:00am for part #1234, and some dick salesman would fill the second order without filling the first order first. So the first order doesn't get filled for 4 more days when new stock comes in.

So our new COO tells us to turn the feature on in the system than causes the order that was entered first to be filled first, and it controls the inventory so is an order is in you can't ship another order that uses the parts reserved for the other order etc...

Oh did this piss off Misfit company. They're trying to explain how they used to do it and they're loving inventory up and just entering random poo poo so they can fill orders , canceling orders and removing line items so they can fill their orders before other peoples. loving joke.

So they bitch and they want this disabled. They went crying to the owner and COO has been vetoed so they're probably going to come to us and demand that it's taken off so they can gently caress their inventory and orders up again. loving go ahead I don't even care.

Hahaha what in the everloving gently caress. I just keep reading this poo poo and laughing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My boss made me order him a $2000 laptop that was "exactly like his old one, just double everything." So I ordered him a the same model, slightly bigger (because he asked for it). The keyboard isn't exactly the same as his 3.5-year-old other one, so he wants me to order one for him that's exactly the same.

I don't know what the gently caress to do. I guess I could just upgrade his old one... does anyone know where I can get a modern motherboard for a four-year-old Thinkpad? loving a.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanatosian posted:

My boss made me order him a $2000 laptop that was "exactly like his old one, just double everything." So I ordered him a the same model, slightly bigger (because he asked for it). The keyboard isn't exactly the same as his 3.5-year-old other one, so he wants me to order one for him that's exactly the same.

I don't know what the gently caress to do. I guess I could just upgrade his old one... does anyone know where I can get a modern motherboard for a four-year-old Thinkpad? loving a.

You could try and explain that vendors rarely make new models exactly the same. Yaw know, if the truth is valid at all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

You could try and explain that vendors rarely make new models exactly the same. Yaw know, if the truth is valid at all.

He doesn't want a new model, he wants the old model, but upgraded.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanatosian posted:

I guess I could just upgrade his old one... does anyone know where I can get a modern motherboard for a four-year-old Thinkpad? loving a.

This ain't possible unless you got some sort of very expensive contract with Lenovo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lenovo stopped making thinkpads with the old keyboard design. They showed off a retro concept over the summer and haven't produced it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanatosian posted:

Order anything you like: just make sure that the desktop icons are in exactly the same place.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The really hilarious thing is that the same boss doesn't want to spend $7200 to upgrade the 5-year-old desktops that everybody is using now with replacements running Win 7 Pro, because "there's nothing wrong with them." Which I suppose is true if you ignore how slow they are for modern applications.

And of course when one breaks down in a year and there's no Win7 replacement, they're going to be angry because someone's computer won't work until we figure out how the gently caress to get it working with Win10.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RFC2324 posted:

He doesn't want a new model, he wants the old model, but upgraded.

Max out ram, new SSD and clean install.

Also lots of Lysol wipes.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Last week a couple of IT departments where moved to a new building. Some of the people who were moved to the new building came from a leased office. We had worked out with the provider to move the bandwidth we were paying there to be added to the new IT office circuit. Yesterday, one of the guys in the building notices that things are lovely, I see someone there has pegged the connection doing something with AV updates. I call the provider and just ask for a update on upgrading the circuit, I stress that this isn't a rush, just wanted to give someone an answer.

This morning I get an email from my boss telling me I was supposed to keep him in the loop when inquiring about this. When coming from him means he got a call from the carrier that they are working on the move and got upset that I dared to interfere.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
New guy is driving me nuts.

He keeps going out of scope when dealing with clients, often talking about their payment or trying to help with random issues they are facing.
It's wasting his time, our clients time, it's giving me more work and he is often giving the clients completely wrong information. "Your license doesn't work, it's because we didn't process your payment. Go ahead and buy it again." :bang:

He refuses to listen when I tell him to refer the customers to the right people. I'm positive he wont last for long.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tigern posted:

New guy is driving me nuts.

He keeps going out of scope when dealing with clients, often talking about their payment or trying to help with random issues they are facing.
It's wasting his time, our clients time, it's giving me more work and he is often giving the clients completely wrong information. "Your license doesn't work, it's because we didn't process your payment. Go ahead and buy it again." :bang:

He refuses to listen when I tell him to refer the customers to the right people. I'm positive he wont last for long.

Make sure management knows about this, so they can get rid of him during the probation period (3-6 months depending on contract), or else you may be stuck with him. Yay for :norway: labor laws.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wibla posted:

Make sure management knows about this, so they can get rid of him during the probation period (3-6 months depending on contract), or else you may be stuck with him. Yay for :norway: labor laws.

Isn't that dependent on the contract? Here in Denmark there is no mandated probation period, but there's usually a 90-day period stated in your required-by-law hiring contract. It's so common I've never had a contract it wasn't in.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

I know our boss is already on the fence about him. He constantly makes grammatical and spelling errors when emailing customers, and he took about 3 days to install a spell checker for Word.

He is on a 6 month probation period so hopefully we'll get rid of him. Last thing we need right now is extra work.

EDIT: he also likes to say "lolololol" after making a joke.

Tigern fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 21, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tigern posted:

He constantly makes grammatical and spelling errors when emailing customers

I sent the error to RTI to see why the customer will no load . I keep you updated

Have them sent a screen shot, That why we can see the error

This is a 50 year old white dude in the USA.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Unsurprising, honestly. In certain parts of the country education was poor and literacy was low even in the mid-60s. Combine the two and it'd be very possible to grow up never learning how to write/read/speak/etc. properly.

Alternatively he could just be stupid. There are always stupid people!

Edit: you could even argue that things haven't changed too much - don't let SA fool you into thinking that most Americans can write worth a poo poo.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 21, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

Alternatively he could just be stupid. There are always stupid people!

He's stupid but he writes other emails that are fine. Not sure if he's nervous or rushing or what.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bob Morales posted:

He's stupid but he writes other emails that are fine. Not sure if he's nervous or rushing or what.

Probably rushing and just stream of consciousness typing, I do it often, but 99% of the time when I'm done typing I re-read it to make sure it makes sense, and if it's a really important email (going out to C-Levels and such) I'll have someone on my team give it a once over. I'm generally well spoken/written, but sometimes it makes sense in my head but when someone else reads it, I see the WTF?!? face.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Tigern posted:

And he took about 3 days to install a spell checker for Word.

EDIT: he also likes to say "lolololol" after making a joke.

I cant remember the last time I had to install a spell checker for word. Is this for like foreign language support or something?

Does he actually say lol after a joke or just types it out in written jokes. Thats always been annoyed me. If you are saying lol than you you can just actually laugh out loud for christs sake.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I cant remember the last time I had to install a spell checker for word. Is this for like foreign language support or something?

Does he actually say lol after a joke or just types it out in written jokes. Thats always been annoyed me. If you are saying lol than you you can just actually laugh out loud for christs sake.

He doesn't say lol, he says "lolololol". Out loud. :argh:

He has problems writing properly in Norwegian, his native language. So he was attempting to install the Norwegian spell checker.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: people who can't enter a summary on a defect. Wow, thanks, putting <business name> in the defect summary, and no other information at all is really, really helpful. You might as well put the word "pineapple", or perhaps "tubgirl" in that field. At least then it would serve the notional purpose of being funny.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Tigern posted:

He doesn't say lol, he says "lolololol". Out loud. :argh:

I'm getting a strange hunch now... is his first name Vegard? :ohdear:

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

Crowley posted:

I'm getting a strange hunch now... is his first name Vegard? :ohdear:

Nope. But now it worries me that there are more than one person who acts like this :magical:

Tigern fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Tigern posted:

Nope. But now it worries me that there are more than one person who acts like this :magical:

also worked with a guy that did this, but I've thankfully forgotten even his name

edit: norewgian black-and-white avatar crew
edit2: speaking of spellcheckers, hah.