Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Given how badly the idea of a cage freaks the elf out I'm guessing she's had a run in with Dark Elfs

I figured that was just a wood elf thing but her backstory definitely lacking right now compared to the other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I'd play the hell out of a warrior priest, but he'd be hard to differentiate from the soldier. They're probably going to add another bow focused human character and another mage first though.

I think it's just an issue of implementing different archetypes. The WP could easily take a page out of their Warhammer Online counterpart and get a small heal/build up armour per closer quarter attack. The State Trooper can just be pure damage or be able to regularly stagger enemies.

I really wish they'd implement more characters and just go all out on the game instead of taking such a measure approach.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Promontory posted:

It's amazing what a difference some good equipment and knowledge of the level can do. I had a game with two new players and a bot and managed to complete the horn level on Normal when a good elf player joined just before the finale. Along the way I witnessed the bright wizard not understanding the overheat thing and blowing themselves up repeatedly, suicidal attacks against stormvermin patrols, fighting a rat ogre indoors, people wandering off at cut off points and lighting the gate barrels on fire. Not a word was spoken until the end. At the tower defense the two new guys got things figured out and did really well, then they got lost trying to get to the elevator. Thankfully it's a short run to the coach.

In a way it was fun to be the hero sniping hookrats and watching everyone's backs, but on the other had it makes me a bit worried for the game's future. Even if item progress is reset come release, there's gonna be a big gulf between new players and guys who regularly grind the game with bots for l00t. It might be pretty tough to get into this game if you join later. Even the elf player in the game I described started to lose their temper despite having been with the team for only about five minutes. Hopefully the full game will have a good tutorial like Nosgoth so that new people won't be driven out by "veterans" getting pissy about suboptimal performances.

Short of doing cataclysm, items are simply nice perks that make things easier and let you play a class differently, not an actual barrier to entry. You can do Nightmare with all starting white gear on everyone, it will just be hard and unforgiving of mistakes. The biggest barrier of entry is simply learning how to minimize damage taken, how to react to bad situations(getting to a choke for a swarm, getting to the most open area you can for a rat ogre, hiding from stormvermin, etc), and knowing when to let someone die if poo poo goes totally south(if your tanking dwarf gets hooked and dragged into a swarm, let him die instead of chasing to try to save him since everyone will die in the rescue attempt).

People are gonna get super mad at new/poor players in every cooperative multiplayer game ever made, and that fact didn't kill Left 4 Dead.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I haven't played much, or beyond hard, but I have the feeling that the skill rather than equipment is the limit here. A no-damage run seems possible on hard as long as the game doesn't decide to crap on you with specials. Maybe higher number of rats on nightmare and cataclysm make the dream impossible, but I hope red-tier equipment isn't strictly needed to do the higher difficulties.

Promontory posted:

Hopefully the full game will have a good tutorial like Nosgoth so that new people won't be driven out by "veterans" getting pissy about suboptimal performances.
Wait, Nosgoth has tutorials? I got an extra key from somewhere and dicked around a bit on the beta, but the game was very bare bones then.

The community is moderately friendly. The only angry comment I've seen is along the lines of "Elf (it's always the elf), stick with the drat group". Maybe it's because there is little time to type.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 21, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Some equipment traits are practically necessary for a class to function at full power. The Bright Wizards melee weapon dispersing heat on hits for example. Or extra ammo for the Witch Hunter or Waywalker.

I'm sure you could do it with all Whites though if the teams good enough. There's nothing required to succeed, it's just harder without it.

The increased push is my favorite trait right now. Particularly for two handers where you can knock them over and then charge up a nice swipe to take them all out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

The community is moderately friendly. The only angry comment I've seen is along the lines of "Elf (it's always the elf), stick with the drat group". Maybe it's because there is little time to type.

I see more idiot commando dwarf players than I do elf players, honestly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The one item attribute that I'd say makes the greatest difference for the purposes of higher difficulties is the heal per hit/kill. Outside of high-intensity situations like objective fights or rat-orgres, the core of the gameplay dynamic can basically be boiled down to getting through the level while trying to minimise the amount of damage you take. Health is basically the one resource that can't be done without, and items to regain it are purposefully limited. So having an item with, say, 7% chance to heal 10% health on a kill means that you'll have ~70-100% more total health than somebody without it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Warhammer is kinda ridiculous so I don't see a problem with having whatever characters you want in the group.

Add in a sea guard, dark elf, orc, bretonnian yeoman, lizardman, whatever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Warhammer is kinda ridiculous so I don't see a problem with having whatever characters you want in the group.

Add in a sea guard, dark elf, orc, bretonnian yeoman, lizardman, whatever.

I mean, the premise is that it's literally the end of the world, and WFB races are all sapient, so there's no reason why they couldn't team up.

Plus, putting a high elf and a dark elf in the player characters would mean having literally all of their dialogue towards each other be the snarkiest insults possible. This should be a priority.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Aztec dinosaurs, please.

Not the big ones. The skinks.

Slaan Priests with a palanquin also accepted.

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!
If the game could stop awarding me with loot for the dwarf I would be happy. YoloElf4lyfe!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cpt Stabbin posted:

If the game could stop awarding me with loot for the dwarf I would be happy. YoloElf4lyfe!

It's the only class I have nixed out in the group finder settings. The game knows. :(

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I mean, the premise is that it's literally the end of the world, and WFB races are all sapient, so there's no reason why they couldn't team up.

Plus, putting a high elf and a dark elf in the player characters would mean having literally all of their dialogue towards each other be the snarkiest insults possible. This should be a priority.

The worst part of this game is that you can't have two of the same character player. Having one awkward human and three dwarfs bitching about how life was so much better before would be amazing.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Kegslayer posted:

The worst part of this game is that you can't have two of the same character player. Having one awkward human and three dwarfs bitching about how life was so much better before would be amazing.

Or three dwarves making fun of an elf :v:

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Consider this proposal: Saltzpyre, surrounded by 3 Bright Wizards.

:sweatdrop:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Trier posted:

Consider this proposal: Saltzpyre, surrounded by 3 Bright Wizards.

:sweatdrop:

80% of everyone's screen real estate is fire.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Fishstick posted:

80% of everyone's screen real estate is fire.

Swap Salypyzre out for a Dwarf with flame pistols so that the world can burn properly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

:laffo: Apparently part of the reason for the backend issues was unauthorized tampering with the servers. I guess somebody really wanted some loot.

Fatshark posted:

You can't play the game currently and we are very sorry for that. We've had to take down our backend for unscheduled maintenance. It's a difficult decision but a few hours ago we had some technical issues with our backend due to failed unauthorized tampering with the servers. We are now tightening up these processes before the release of the game on Friday. This is now our top priority here at Fatshark and we hope to be able to get online again today, Wednesday. We'll keep posting more info as we have it.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I wonder if this constitutes a "Major technical issue" that warrants a progression wipe?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BombiTheZombie posted:

I wonder if this constitutes a "Major technical issue" that warrants a progression wipe?

Some people want to watch the world burn. Therefore, they should totally wipe everyone's progress :getin: :supaburn: :derp:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BombiTheZombie posted:

They said in an earlier quote that they are going to be rolling people back, I guess if they can't do this then a wipe will have to happen.
So the loot and levels appearing in peoples accounts just before the servers got brought down was someone finding a way to just give all accounts a bunch of stuff at the server level?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Some people want to watch the world burn. Therefore, they should totally wipe everyone's progress :getin: :supaburn: :derp:

Not gonna lie. I would love a reset for release because I haven't been able to play and getting ahead of everyone over the weekend will let me be all :smug:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Demiurge4 posted:

Not gonna lie. I would love a reset for release because I haven't been able to play and getting ahead of everyone over the weekend will let me be all :smug:

What's that pubbie? You got outfitted in oranges because you kept exploiting beta bugs? Would be terrible if something happened to those :smug:

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What's that pubbie? You got outfitted in oranges because you kept exploiting beta bugs? Would be terrible if something happened to those :smug:

"But but but dont you see, standing underneath the platform in horn of magnus was a legit tactical choice! :qq:"

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I'm actually glad that guy tried to gently caress with the server during beta. Now the vulnerability can be fixed before launch.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shadowlz posted:

I'm actually glad that guy tried to gently caress with the server during beta. Now the vulnerability can be fixed before launch.

Yeah, it's much better to have it happen now and have two days of downtime before the launch than it is to have it happen on launch week and kill the game.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 21, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, it's much better to have it happen now and have two days of downtime before the launch than it is to have it happen in launch week and kill the game.

Yeah big favor. I don't think the game would survive if it happened two weeks after release. But hopefully this teaches them to keep regular backups to keep a rollback to a day at most.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Release Trailer is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbREAF-wmEg

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The twitter account at the end of that trailer is wrong. :thumbsup:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Not every trailer can be the Horned Rat one, but that's thoroughly bland. Rats not dropping from the rooftops, no fight against the ogre, no banter or special rats...

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Kanos posted:

I see more idiot commando dwarf players than I do elf players, honestly.

Nah, it's definitely elves. Me and my buddies either have to play an elf, or deal with a bot if we're not full. Otherwise, some random elf joins, YOLOcharges stormvermin patrols, nades our nads in nightmare or something like that. Though commandwarfs come second.

Fat Samurai posted:

Not every trailer can be the Horned Rat one, but that's thoroughly bland. Rats not dropping from the rooftops, no fight against the ogre, no banter or special rats...

Witch Hunter uncuffs the Bright Wizard right after they get out, so there's some nice touches. My problem is that based dwarfbro does almost nothing, and the elf is actually sticking with the party and not useless.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Musluk posted:

Witch Hunter uncuffs the Bright Wizard right after they get out,

Oh, I didn't notice that. Nice.

I admit the Witch Hunter part is cool, although it's missing the "skewer a rat's head with a rapier" bit.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah, I play the elf in my group because if I don't I assume some random legolas shitter will join in and proceed to do nothing or get everyone killed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
850MB patch out of nowhere. Wonder what they changed.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
e: ^^^ going to guess its not gameplay stuff, moreso loving with the backend to prevent people from screwing with their servers and giving everyone oranges.

I like playing the soldier with the shield/blunderbuss (gently caress you guys saying it sucks, btw; bashing a bunch of rats into a corner with the shield before blowing them all away and beating the few survivors to death with my gun is an activity beyond reproach), but I've been running around as the elf a bit.

I keep getting long swords for her and I just loving suck with them. Maybe if I got a better bow I'd be happier with her but man, she really can't cope with crowds too well, and her sniping abilities just don't match up to someone else with a crossbow.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The longbow is pretty amazing against hordes if you chokepoint them correctly. Fully powered longbow shots will pierce through ratmen killing several with one arrow.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

e: ^^^ going to guess its not gameplay stuff, moreso loving with the backend to prevent people from screwing with their servers and giving everyone oranges.

850MB feels like a lot for something loving with the backend, but we'll see.

Also the elf's shortbow is trash garbage, it needs a buff and she should start with the longbow.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Owners: 70,253 ± 6,934

Steadily going up by 10-20k a day before release. Games apparently on average make about 30% of their sales on pre-orders, so this is looking pretty good. Not sure if it's good enough for their budget though.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Being able to play (a beta) immediately is going to inflate whatever pre-orders you usually get.

edit: but not meaning to sound negative, I think its a good sign. I hadn't really heard anything about this until late but soon as I saw it was good im all over it.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

Owners: 70,253 ± 6,934

Steadily going up by 10-20k a day before release. Games apparently on average make about 30% of their sales on pre-orders, so this is looking pretty good. Not sure if it's good enough for their budget though.

thats good. I've gotten to be rather fond of these devs after following their blog and how they've been so open during the beta, so I hope this is a success and cash cow for them.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

850MB feels like a lot for something loving with the backend, but we'll see.

Also the elf's shortbow is trash garbage, it needs a buff and she should start with the longbow.

maybe they read my groundbreaking critique of the gutter runner's design that i posted in the steam forum that all of one person replied to and have already revamped him

that or something else, :iiam:

also i like the quickbow, tbh. its not a sniping tool, its a mid range crowd sweeping tool, which I find helpful since, like I said, I think her crowd control abilities are wanting. her hagbane bow is the most lovely ranged weapon in the game, imo.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 21, 2015

• Locked thread