Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Star Wars:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

After seeing some prequel clips recently I cannot get over how bad the CG looks in the lucas starwars. It's so loving bad, it doesn't hold up at all. The sets, the storm troopers, everything is bad bad bad.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

mad.radhu posted:

Speaking of Star Wars:

It's like poetry; it's like they rhyme.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Oct 20, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

Speaking of Star Wars:

Cant not see she's not pulling trigger

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

hhhat posted:

It's mind activated

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

It's mind activated

You mean she's *force*ing it to fire with her brain?

Sounds a bit wacky

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZasLcoKWlY&t=1m24s
"It'll look good."

Baronjutter posted:

After seeing some prequel clips recently I cannot get over how bad the CG looks in the lucas starwars. It's so loving bad, it doesn't hold up at all. The sets, the storm troopers, everything is bad bad bad.
That whole droid factory thing in Episode II has worse compositing than a Tim and Eric sketch. That whole movie just looks atrocious. Guess that's what happens when you use cameras that aren't even in the prototype phase just to show off how much of a Hollywood maverick you are.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Peep that lovely CG

Bet it makes no money

Nobodys going to buy tickets from that pre-sale

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hhhat posted:

I'm the trooper's lovely premature recoilless laser blast.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Baronjutter posted:

Touch the poop and say that in the Star Wars thread :v:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Mogomra posted:

Touch the poop and say that in the Star Wars thread :v:
So I assume CD still hasn’t dropped their ‘we’re special snowflakes because we write walls of text about how universally reviled movies are objectively the best movies of all time’ shtick?

Nightcrawler

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Baronjutter posted:

Now go back and watch Aliens, and marvel at the fact that even though it was done on a sane budget and was done decades earlier the whole film has, visually speaking, held up remarkably well in the 30 years since it was released due to the fact that 99% of what you see is a prop, or a set, or a puppet that actually exists in real space and the visual direction is both well-realised and cohesive.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Breetai posted:

Now go back and watch Aliens, and marvel at the fact that even though it was done on a sane budget and was done decades earlier the whole film has, visually speaking, held up remarkably well in the 30 years since it was released due to the fact that 99% of what you see is a prop, or a set, or a puppet that actually exists in real space and the visual direction is both well-realised and cohesive.
You know what else has great practical effects? The Giant Claw

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

So that's where that scene at the end of Prometheus came from.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Breetai posted:

This shot right here infuriates me, because it's so needlessly bad. It doesn't suffer from technical limitations of the time or anything like that, but rather an inexplicable directorial decision. There's no reason not to have cheated the prop-to-actor swap by having the character placing the head block the camera for a frame. The prop is good and Holms' makeup is good; it's just the segue that sticks out as a terrible moment in an otherwise amazing film.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Breetai posted:

What gets me about Alien is that they did nearly everything perfectly, but completely whiffed on UI. I'm not even taking about the graphics of the ship movement shown on screen, just the interface decisions. Hundreds of unlabeled switches and lights, text-based input/output... It's as if they took what was around at the time and said "Just make more of that."

I know that good futuristic UI design is rare for many reasons, but it's just jarring when the rest of the movie stands up so well.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trabant posted:

What gets me about Alien is that they did nearly everything perfectly, but completely whiffed on UI. I'm not even taking about the graphics of the ship movement shown on screen, just the interface decisions. Hundreds of unlabeled switches and lights, text-based input/output... It's as if they took what was around at the time and said "Just make more of that."

I know that good futuristic UI design is rare for many reasons, but it's just jarring when the rest of the movie stands up so well.

Lol wat

Source your quotes please

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well, I did say "it's as if". But you tell me -- does this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywWFvjE-yU

look like UI of any kind of Space Future or something that is squarely in 1979?

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

It looks like it's future technology trapped in 1979 and that is why I love it.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Trabant posted:

I remember the last time it came up, it was explained more that a mining company wouldn't pay for top of the line equipment when the old stuff works enough for them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Brutally functional interfaces like that hold up a lot better cinematically than ones where people stand in front of some magical projection waving their hands like idiots to zoom pictures that somehow activate other programs and do stuff without any further interaction.

Forty years later and the interiors of our planes, shuttles, and international space stations are still broadly switches and buttons with tiny labels (they are not unlabeled in Alien). They're not voice-activated or motion-tracked or anything like that because they are still massively inefficient ways to interact with computers. Sure sitting at a desk and typing commands like "What's the story mother?" into a glowing green interface looks anachronistic and strange rather than clicking on a desktop icon to load Nostromo Search and typing it there, but it's instantly relatable and grounding in a film.

The technology used in a film creates a context for the world - Alien is considerably low tech. You instinctively understand that technology will not solve the conflicts its characters face. Compare it to Star Trek, where everything is touch-screen or voice-activated: technology solves the overwhelming number of conflicts characters run into. Star Trek is a different world. Alien is our world in the future. The choices of interfaces fundamentally convey that idea. Star Wars is the same: it's a movie filled with laser swords, literal magic, and fantastic beasts but it's grounded by the fact that those laser swords have knobs, the Millennium Falcon is filled with unlabeled switches, and the X-Wing requires a whole bunch of fiddly bits and bobs just to get a HUD activated, with the most futuristic the interfaces get is R2D2 sticking his robot dick in a computer.

I'm confident predicting that in another forty years we will still be building high technology things like planes and spaceships with switches, knobs, and tiny labels, and terminal interfaces; with absolutely nobody having ever done databasing through standing in a room doing loving flag semaphores at a holographic screen.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Is this kid the hero of the new films? In every shot he's in of the trailers he looks loving terrified.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Brutally functional interfaces like that hold up a lot better cinematically than ones where people stand in front of some magical projection waving their hands like idiots to zoom pictures that somehow activate other programs and do stuff without any further interaction.

Forty years later and the interiors of our planes, shuttles, and international space stations are still broadly switches and buttons with tiny labels (they are not unlabeled in Alien). They're not voice-activated or motion-tracked or anything like that because they are still massively inefficient ways to interact with computers. Sure sitting at a desk and typing commands like "What's the story mother?" into a glowing green interface looks anachronistic and strange rather than clicking on a desktop icon to load Nostromo Search and typing it there, but it's instantly relatable and grounding in a film.

The technology used in a film creates a context for the world - Alien is considerably low tech. You instinctively understand that technology will not solve the conflicts its characters face. Compare it to Star Trek, where everything is touch-screen or voice-activated: technology solves the overwhelming number of conflicts characters run into. Star Trek is a different world. Alien is our world in the future. The choices of interfaces fundamentally convey that idea. Star Wars is the same: it's a movie filled with laser swords, literal magic, and fantastic beasts but it's grounded by the fact that those laser swords have knobs, the Millennium Falcon is filled with unlabeled switches, and the X-Wing requires a whole bunch of fiddly bits and bobs just to get a HUD activated, with the most futuristic the interfaces get is R2D2 sticking his robot dick in a computer.

I'm confident predicting that in another forty years we will still be building high technology things like planes and spaceships with switches, knobs, and tiny labels, and terminal interfaces; with absolutely nobody having ever done databasing through standing in a room doing loving flag semaphores at a holographic screen.

One thing a lot of the futuristic UI's lose is state, they're always opening new panes, closing old ones etc. You can't just look at the panel and see what state everything is in. In a cockpit of a plane if the pilot goes for a piss or worse the co-pilot can instantly see the state of all the switches.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

joedevola posted:

Is this kid the hero of the new films? In every shot he's in of the trailers he looks loving terrified.
You would appreciate an extra crossguard on your lightsaber too if a scary thug came at you with a weapon :rolleyes:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

joedevola posted:

Hmm I wonder if he will go through an arc of some kind, perhaps maybe even a journey

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Away all Goats posted:

Hmm I wonder if he will go through an arc of some kind, perhaps maybe even a journey

I hope Luke Skywalker has a hand in it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

joedevola posted:

Turns out he's scared of trailers.

http://i.imgur.com/W7S5I6t.webm

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

FredMSloniker posted:

This is totally a thing I can do.

If that's not what you wanted, let me know!

That's perfect! Thank you.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aramoro posted:

One thing a lot of the futuristic UI's lose is state, they're always opening new panes, closing old ones etc. You can't just look at the panel and see what state everything is in. In a cockpit of a plane if the pilot goes for a piss or worse the co-pilot can instantly see the state of all the switches.

Not to mention each of us knows how finicky software is these days. Being able to just flip a switch or look at some blinking lights (or a single use display), is less prone to a blue screen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rydiafan posted:

This shot right here infuriates me, because it's so needlessly bad. It doesn't suffer from technical limitations of the time or anything like that, but rather an inexplicable directorial decision. There's no reason not to have cheated the prop-to-actor swap by having the character placing the head block the camera for a frame. The prop is good and Holms' makeup is good; it's just the segue that sticks out as a terrible moment in an otherwise amazing film.
This. It takes almost everyone I know out of the scene and sometimes the movie.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

mad.radhu posted:

Speaking of Star Wars:

LOL, what a loving difference a decent director makes

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Literally Esoteric posted:

It looks like it's future technology trapped in 1979 and that is why I love it.

I think what Alien really nailed is that these are just regular space truckers doing their boring job

Because space is pretty boring, until you have to deal with the void of eternity and all the gross and terrible poo poo that may be in it

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

This is the face you make right before someone lightsabers your rear end off, picks it off the ground, and casually hands it to you.

Also, pointed this out in the Star Wars thread...

pookerbug has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Oct 21, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Trabant posted:

You've engaged in the cinematic equivalent of looking at a perfectly-cooked, beautifully aged cut of Kobe beef and loudly wondering where the loving BBQ sauce is.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
There are no sacred cows, Kobe or otherwise.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Breetai posted:

You've engaged in the cinematic equivalent of looking at a perfectly-cooked, beautifully aged cut of Kobe beef and loudly wondering where the loving BBQ sauce is.

:perfect:

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Breetai posted:

You've engaged in the cinematic equivalent of looking at a perfectly-cooked, beautifully aged cut of Kobe beef and loudly wondering where the loving BBQ sauce A1 is.

Yeah I went there.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

pookerbug posted:

Yeah I went there.

Doesn't everyone eat theirs very well done with ketchup??? Why would you get hoity toity with A1 or BBQ sauce? :confused:

Some people are just loving sick in their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

I'm confident predicting that in another forty years we will still be building high technology things like planes and spaceships with switches, knobs, and tiny labels, and terminal interfaces

Counter argument: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xd_ZAPZIDk

The iPhone of spacecraft.