Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

goose fleet posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the typical Tea Party Patriot thought that there was someone named Ben Ghazi that slaughtered dozens of Americans on Hillary Clinton's orders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkmrDvKPdps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Well that was fast. Fucker just got elected.

People have no loving clue what they elected either, just to get rid of this other rear end hole.
He has shown to have 0 knowledge of international politics and I wouldn't be suprised if this dumbass openly supports putin in awhile.

fakeedit: Making hockey jokes about the Russians practicing for the olympics (or some other event) when invading Ukraine.
He has said and done alot of dumbshit just to get votes, name of the game I guess.

Viller fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 21, 2015

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Are y'all sour bout the Canadians flying maybe a couple sorties a week coming to an end, maybe

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Viller posted:

People have no loving clue what they elected either, just to get rid of this other rear end hole.
He has shown to have 0 knowledge of international politics and I wouldn't be suprised if this dumbass openly supports putin in awhile.

fakeedit: Making hockey jokes about the Russians practicing for the olympics (or some other event) when invading Ukraine.
He has said and done alot of dumbshit just to get votes, name of the game I guess.

Hottest take today from the Edmonton far suburbs.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

FAUXTON posted:

Hottest take today from the Edmonton far suburbs.

Butt gently caress nowhere north east Ontario actually.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

goose fleet posted:

Do Kurdish forces in Syria accept non-Kurd volunteers?

Um, yes. Though if the volunteer actually knew a version of Kurdish that person would be an MVP.

But joking aside, if you can physically convey yourself to Syria and you have a semi-regular heartbeat you can join the YPG.

Edit: it also appears that the remaining 70 tons of the 120 tons of weapons given to the YPG is probably never going to arrive.

Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_tSlQUe7oQ Russian jet eye-balling a US drone.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 21, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Do a lot of local non-Kurds join the Kurdish forces, and if so, what are their reasons for it usually?

Also, do they have any issues with ISIS infiltrating them?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Sergg posted:

But hey, I know the counterpoint is that ISIS has the word "Islamic" in its name so they must be the worst ones.

Well yes, I'm going to say that the group that posts HD decapitations of americans as the worst group, but I guess you can disagree if you'd like. Goons orientialism of islam has really gone into overdrive recently it seems.

FAUXTON posted:

It's been pretty obvious that Russian military advising doesn't really differentiate between ISIS and anti-Assad rebels, deciding to call them all ISIS since it's better than "we're backing a dictator who gasses non-combatant civilians in his own country by bombing the rebels fighting against him."

In short:

(I don't know what it says, but it's clearly a roll of TP with Putin's face printed on it, brought back from when a family member visited Kiev and Lviv. I imagine the sentiment would be similar from the folks in Syria who aren't behind Assad.)

Sick burns from a place that let a part of their country get annexed without a single bullet fired.

tsa fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 21, 2015

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

tsa posted:

Well yes, I'm going to say that the group that posts HD decapitations of americans as the worst group, but I guess you can disagree if you'd like. Goons orientialism of islam has really gone into overdrive recently it seems.

Sick burns from a place that let a part of their country get annexed without a single bullet fired.

Sorry there wasn't enough bloodshed to satiate you, rear end in a top hat.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

tsa posted:

Quick reminder that the Assad government has killed more Americans than ISIS has, including torturing/starving one of our own forums members to death, and killed about 12 times more Syrians per month. I'm sorry they don't put their executions on Youtube, if you'd like, I could find you a bunch of videos of people being tortured to death by Syrian soldiers that has been yanked off their cellphones after they were killed in combat.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

tsa posted:

You are pathetic, go chug some Putin cock.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

tsa posted:

Is that because Buk missiles don't count as bullets?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mlmp08 posted:

Michael Bay is extremely talented. He just typically makes movies I hate.

"Pain & Gain" had its moments. That said I'd sooner watch a supercut of farting giraffes than this Benghazi movie.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Captain Bravo posted:

So what I'm gathering is that if you're a young-to-middle-aged man in Syria, your options are:
A) Flee and die in a boat
B) Stay and get executed (by either ISIS or Assad)
C) Fight and get murdered
D) Join the Kurds (And probably get bombed by Russia.)

Christ. :negative:
What about an option where you pretend to be a member of the opposite sect?

I watched an ISIS video Liveleak where they were interrogating Shiite prisoners before executing them. One prisoner claimed to be Sunni, so they asked him how he prayed and he attempted to do it the Sunni way and failed (from memory he did something minor like knelt at the wrong time or said the wrong Koran verse, atleast that's what someone explained was happening in the Liveleak comments). Sadly he got the chop, but with some better research he may have made the cut (no pun intended).

Or you could just claim to be Christian and pay that Koran-approved muslim overlord tax.

As long as no one points you out as an apostate, you're cruising. :mmmhmm:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Assad just met with Putin in Moscow, let's hope Putin has offered him tea.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
It says something about the Transformers movies that 13 Hours could be his most understated film in years.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Fanatic posted:

What about an option where you pretend to be a member of the opposite sect?

I watched an ISIS video Liveleak where they were interrogating Shiite prisoners before executing them. One prisoner claimed to be Sunni, so they asked him how he prayed and he attempted to do it the Sunni way and failed (from memory he did something minor like knelt at the wrong time or said the wrong Koran verse, atleast that's what someone explained was happening in the Liveleak comments). Sadly he got the chop, but with some better research he may have made the cut (no pun intended).

Or you could just claim to be Christian and pay that Koran-approved muslim overlord tax.

As long as no one points you out as an apostate, you're cruising. :mmmhmm:

They kill a lot of people if they have Shia sounding names, so avoid that

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Look who just took his first foreign visit since 2011

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
It looks like Russia also has a tradition of "take-your-kid-to-work" day.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Cocoa Ninja posted:

It looks like Russia also has a tradition of "take-your-kid-to-work" day.

Not as much as Belarus! :belarus:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ham posted:

- The Salafist Nour party hasn't won any single seat so far as they've lost the party list constituencies. This was kind of unexpected, as Nour is especially powerful in Alexandria and the Nile Delta and they banked their hopes on that region, putting most of their leadership figures on that list. Still, 30 of their individual candidates are going to contest the runoff round, but considering how they performed they'll be lucky to get even half of them in.

It's kinda funny that with all of Sisi's "the Muslim Brotherhood is terrorism" rhetorics, an actual salafist party is allowed to run. Aren't these guys more hardline Islamist than the MB was?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Cat Mattress posted:

It's kinda funny that with all of Sisi's "the Muslim Brotherhood is terrorism" rhetorics, an actual salafist party is allowed to run. Aren't these guys more hardline Islamist than the MB was?

Yes, but they sided with Sisi during the coup, which kind of divided islamists and was crucial to the success of the coup. They were hoping to gobble up the entire islamic vote (70% in last parliament) but Egyptian voters are fickle. Doesn't help that islamists in general don't care about the election and the turnout was 10-20%

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Recently, as I think was mentioned in this thread, Obama announced that the US troops in Afghanistan would not be leaving as planned, but that some would stay on indefinitely. I can see both arguments here, that the US should absolutely leave immediately, but also that leaving will create a vacuum the ANA sure as gently caress can't fill and the Taliban very well might. My question is, how bad is that, in the grand scheme of things? I'm fully aware of the horrors the victims of the Taliban go through, but if the US invaded every country that mistreated its citizens in such a manner, they'd have to invade all over the globe. So with that in mind, I'd like to gauge opinions. What would Obama's best course of action be here? Realistic courses of action, please. I'm asking because there are some people here who are vastly more intelligent than I could ever hope to be and I want to know the opinion of people who may have more knowledge on this than I do.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They should all interlink arms and sing happy campfire songs until the Bad Thoughts go away and the tribes all live in harmony for ever after.

Since that's never going to happen there are two options: allow war ravaged shithole to completely revert to tribal barbarism / anarchy and maybe become a viable country again in 50 - 100 years (and that's being optimistic) OR stay there with a military presence indefinitely. That's it.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

DancingShade posted:

They should all interlink arms and sing happy campfire songs until the Bad Thoughts go away and the tribes all live in harmony for ever after.
So what you're saying is the US should carpet bomb the region with :420:, bongs and Bob Marley CD's (assuming HiLuxes and Landcruisers still come with CD players of course). :v:

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I guess it depends on how many trillions of dollars and how many Marines with their legs blown off is "too much"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DancingShade posted:

Since that's never going to happen there are two options: allow war ravaged shithole to completely revert to tribal barbarism / anarchy and maybe become a viable country again in 50 - 100 years (and that's being optimistic) OR stay there with a military presence indefinitely. That's it.

It's not like our military presence is doing much to prevent the former anyway. We're just propping up a weak Afghan government.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The most optimistic outcome for Afghanistan from a US political perspective is Kabul is strong enough to sustain a perpetual war against the Taliban. Even that is pretty difficult with about 1/3rd of the ANA attriting every year. If the U.S. got insanely lucky ISIS - Khorasan branch would gain enough support that it and the Taliban could kill each other enough to not pose a threat to Kabul. In an optimistic scenario.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jagchosis posted:

The most optimistic outcome for Afghanistan from a US political perspective is Kabul is strong enough to sustain a perpetual war against the Taliban. Even that is pretty difficult with about 1/3rd of the ANA attriting every year. If the U.S. got insanely lucky ISIS - Khorasan branch would gain enough support that it and the Taliban could kill each other enough to not pose a threat to Kabul. In an optimistic scenario.

That is pretty unlikely to happen though especially since ISIS is still rather small and it is unclear that Kabul would survive if ISIS actually got strong enough to challenge the Taliban. Basically, unlike the Soviets, who had a good reason to pull out from a unwinnable war, we are basically stuck there for eternity. The ANA isn't strong enough to stand on its own in the long term, and the Taliban has been making steady gains even with a continued presence. Together the US and the ANA were able to push the Taliban out of Kunduz, but the fact they were in Kunduz in the first place is a rather alarming issue.

Obama doesn't want the entire situation to fall apart in his first term, but at this point it seems the US is resigned to let the Taliban win and will only intervene when it really becomes obvious.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Are there enough resources available for an independent Sunni state to survive between Shia' Syria and Shia' Iraq?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Kingfish posted:

Are there enough resources available for an independent Sunni state to survive between Shia' Syria and Shia' Iraq?

Probably not at this point considering much of it would be desert and blasted out towns. Also, you would have to get ISIS and whatever other faction out of there.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 21, 2015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

Not if ISIS runs it and after Assad/Iran/Hezbollah/Russia rolls over those areas the Sunni populations will be reduced to a very manageble size.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I mean regardless of damage caused by civil war. Could it be a viable state if a partition happened?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Is there anything to this story about the British journalist found mysteriously dead- supposedly a suicide- in an Istanbul airport? http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/19/jacqueline-sutton-foreign-office-died-istanbul-airport

I don't know much about her background, but hanging herself in the toilet with shoelaces over a missed flight does sound pretty implausible.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Brown Moses posted:

Look who just took his first foreign visit since 2011

When someone asks me why putting your children's faces in a vice grip during their formative years is a bad idea, then I will show them this picture.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gravel Gravy posted:

When someone asks me why putting your children's faces in a vice grip during their formative years is a bad idea, then I will show them this picture.

I call it the reverse Habsburg.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Huh, so Tal Abyad is now a "Democratic Autonomous Administration" affiliated to Kobanê Canton:
http://anfenglish.com/kurdistan/democratic-autonomy-declared-in-gire-spi

quote:

Opinion leaders and representatives of all communities and faith groups in Girê Spî (Tal Abyad) region have come together at a meeting today to determine a joint administration.

The meeting was attended by Kobanê Executive Council President Xalid Berkel, Defense Council President Ismet Şêx Hesen, Foreign Minister Îbrahîm Kurdo, Interior Minister Bozan Xelîl, Council of Martyrs President Mihemed Xan, Tev-Dem Co-presidents Ayşe Efendi and Ehmed Şexo, commanders from YPG and Burkan Al-Fırat, representatives of Siwar Al-Raqqa Brigade, civil society organizations and members of Peace and Fraternity Council.

The meeting ended up with the establishment of Girê Spî Democratic Autonomous Administration affiliated to Kobanê Canton, election of co-presidents -Mensur Selum and Leyla Mustafa- and formation of 9 committees to deal with the works.

The autonomous administration will involve representatives from all the peoples and social circles living in the region.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/21/us-mideast-crisis-syria-kurds-idUSKCN0SF1BD2015102

quote:

Wednesday's decision formally makes Tel Abyad part of the canton of Kobani - a town known as Ayn al-Arab in Arabic, Omar Alloush, an attendee of the meeting, told Reuters.

"It strengthens our ties to Kobani and with the other cantons that also implement the program of the autonomous administration," he said by phone. But he added that Tel Abyad would be self-governing.

He also denied an earlier comment by a Kurdish official who said Tel Abyad had declared itself as an entirely new canton.
So, more the whole "Democratic Confederalism" put into action. Cool.

Also it is not a new Canton, as CNN and some of the other morons have been reporting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cat Mattress posted:

Nour are absolute shits and a nontrivial part of why I was very optimistic about Morsi and the MB - all the really bonkers people had jumped ship already.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Nour are absolute shits and a nontrivial part of why I was very optimistic about Morsi and the MB - all the really bonkers people had jumped ship already.

Morsi and the MB were still bad, compared to a more religious AKP but still not as terrible as Sisi or likely Nour. The political choices in Egypt are rather mindbogglingly terrible and to be honest, I don't know how the whole situation is going to resolve itself.

Sisi would be already sunk if it wasn't for Gulf loans, and I have a feeling if there was another revolution, it wouldn't be a peaceful one.

That said, there is growth and the regime still has some currency reserves but I don't know what is going to happen if there is another major international economic crisis. Egypt has the highest budget deficit in the world by some measures.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A Shi'a super highway is the idea that Iran is supporting Syria and Iraq to ensure a Shiite government takes over so they can flow troops and equipment from Iran through Iraq, Syria and finally into Hamas to challenge Israel. When I say troops I don't mean an invasion force, I mean SOF forces to organize riots and dissent amongst palestinians.

The Shi'a militias in Iraq literally control a majority of the heavy weaponry in Iraq's arsenal. Every Tracked piece of equipment is in Shiite militia hands and will stay in their hands as a stipulation for liberating the country from ISIS grips, or the fact that Iraqi won't be able to stop them from taking every piece of military equipment that isn't nailed down.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 21, 2015

• Locked thread