Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can get a better deal on a used table, but I know AT makes some automatic models. I think the main problem with automatic tables is it is just more poo poo to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The automatic on my turntable was a piece of poo poo, so I tried to remove the mechanism, and instead left myself with a table that won't turn off. It's a piece of poo poo, so not a big deal, and I got a switch so I can just turn off the power, but I can do without.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

spookygonk posted:

Any companies make semi-automatic turntables these days? Want to buy a record player (have re-discovered several boxes of albums in the loft) and, yes, I could just buy a manual Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, but would like the convenience of the drat thing switching itself off.

Or does the extra parts that make up the return system impact on sound quality and just bump up the price?

You can add a Q UP to a manual turntable to at least lift the needle off at the end, it'll still spin of course.

http://www.needledoctor.com/The-QUP

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just scored a couple of very dirty Polk Audio Atrium 45p powered speakers in our office cleanup. It seems like once upon a time, they cost almost $300. Does anyone (KozmoNaut?) know if they are good stuff?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evobatman posted:

I just scored a couple of very dirty Polk Audio Atrium 45p powered speakers in our office cleanup. It seems like once upon a time, they cost almost $300. Does anyone (KozmoNaut?) know if they are good stuff?

I don't know much about Polk (I've never seen a set here in Europe), but that particular model seem to get mixed reviews in general use, but quite good reviews when only looking at outdoor speakers.

That said, they were free? And they work? Score!

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't know much about Polk (I've never seen a set here in Europe), but that particular model seem to get mixed reviews in general use, but quite good reviews when only looking at outdoor speakers.

That said, they were free? And they work? Score!
I have a blown set or atrium 4s that my Sansui speaker eater got to, not efficient at all and no power handling. At least a powered set shouldn't be able to eat themselves.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just came home with these two sweet little things:

A Blaupunkt MA-240 power amplifier and the matching PA-240 pre-amplifier. It was Blaupunkt's top of the line amplifier set circa 1979. It delivers 65 watts/channel continuous and 120 watts/channel dynamic at <0.1% distortion on a full bandwith signal, which is specified as a crazy-pants 10-70kHz. The power amp also weighs a goddamn ton, about twice as much as you'd expect from a 1U-size unit.

This is a German design (made in Japan), we will not lower ourselves to momentary power ratings at 10% distortion on a 1kHz signal with only one channel driven! Apparently the Germans and the Japanese work well together :hitler:

There was actually a slightly higher-spec pre-amplifier, the XPA-240, but that uses soft touch buttons and LEDs to indicate volume, bass, treble etc., and they're annoyingly slow to use in practice (and only 10 discrete steps on the volume control). The PA-240 has stepped attenuators, which just feel like total quality items to use, even 35+ years on.

I paid $45 for the set, which I think is fine for something kinda rare and extremely well built like these. The only issue is that uses DIN connectors because Germany, so I can't really use it until I get the proper adapters. I'm kinda surprised the headphone plug isn't DIN as well.

I love the LED power meter on the power amp, and I hereby vow that I will never purchase another amplifier without visible power meters ever again.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 22, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

I love the LED power meter on the power amp, and I hereby vow that I will never purchase another amplifier without visible power meters ever again.

That's a good policy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I actually had to build my own VU meter box for my main stereo, because NAD didn't put any on their pre-amps, the fuckers :argh:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
One of my speakers has been buzzing for the last few years and I could never trace it. Finally opened it up today and checked everything over, wasn't the drivers and the padding wasn't pushing anything against the cabinet. Put it all back together and it kept buzzing, looked on the back and noticed a hole under the hang mount which I could feel air coming through when music played. Plugged it with a screw I had laying around and the buzzing immediately went away.

Air is weird.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Got a new turntable last week, just finished servicing it and replacing tonearm belt. It's a Technics SL-15, with automatic track detection and programming.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

TooLShack posted:

Got a new turntable last week, just finished servicing it and replacing tonearm belt. It's a Technics SL-15, with automatic track detection and programming.

Phonolube? What sort of servicing were you doing?

Fake edit: Nice find.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Neat! I've always had a soft spot for those "last gasp" record players with programming and stuff, trying to compete with CD players on features.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

TooLShack posted:

I see it was you who stole my scissors :colbert:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone have a rega rp1 performance or a project debut carbon?
I'm looking at getting a half decent, aesthetically attractive turntable to play my records.
Budget of £300 which both of those seem to be.
I'm not really interested in messing about for now. Just want something that sounds and looks nice.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

I'm looking at getting a half decent, aesthetically attractive turntable to play my records.
I'm not really interested in messing about for now. Just want something that sounds and looks nice.

I have a carbon, I like it.

I play 95% 33s, so the pulley switch to 45 isn't a big deal and I'm just using the TCC TC-750 preamp with it since my receiver didn't have a phono input. If I were looking today I think I'd still buy it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

I play 95% 33s, so the pulley switch to 45 isn't a big deal and I'm just using the TCC TC-750 preamp with it since my receiver didn't have a phono input. If I were looking today I think I'd still buy it.

I have a Sony DN1060 which I also do not think has a phono input. What do I need to buy?
Also how do you check your record speeds? I've just been picking up things I like for the past year and not really paying attention.
What colour is your carbon? Could you post some pictures? Thanks :)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Bape Culture posted:

I have a Sony DN1060 which I also do not think has a phono input. What do I need to buy?
Also how do you check your record speeds? I've just been picking up things I like for the past year and not really paying attention.

The TC-750 is fine and cheap on amazon.

Usually 45s (smaller records) play at 45rpm, hence the name. Sometimes regular size records play at 45rpm as well, usually they'll say on the label on the disc and sometimes on the packaging. I think that's the case with like 2 out of my couple hundred records though.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

KozmoNaut posted:

Neat! I've always had a soft spot for those "last gasp" record players with programming and stuff, trying to compete with CD players on features.

Yeah I like the near the end Technics stuff too, I had a SL-10 for a bit but sold it as well. I will put the SL-15 on ebay since it's worth too much to put in my store. Also don't think I will ever find a replacement for my SL-M3.

I have 4 service jobs this week, Pioneer SX-1280,Sansui Au-717, some horrible looking soundcraftsman pre amp, and a Pioneer PL-1000.

SX-1280 is gonna be a pain, no good way to clean all the switches without taking the faceplate and boards out.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

I got an RP1 w/ performance pack since I got it new for the same price as a regular RP1. I get compliments on it all the time since it's so clean and minimalistic. My roomie hates it since she's used to automatics and thinks it's too complicated (it's not).

I'm thinking of getting a separate phono stage to upgrade the one in my receiver and then god, I guess I'll upgrade my speakers. Getting into audio stuff is a long expensive rabbit hole.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Qwijib0 posted:

The 110v version of the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon allows you to connect the Pro-Ject Speed Box S, so you just push a button to change from 45 - 33rpm. The UK version, annoyingly however, isn't compatable and you'll have to spend £200 and buy the Speed Box DS Strobo to do the same thing.

edit - went with UK links.

As for a cheap phono preamp, you could try the Behringer PP400 for £17 as a stopgap, while looking for a cheap, second hand NAD-PP1 or Cambridge Audio CA 640P later on.

Dynavox TC-750 is only £27.62! That's a bargain.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 27, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

spookygonk posted:

The 110v version of the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon allows you to connect the Pro-Ject Speed Box S, so you just push a button to change from 45 - 33rpm. The UK version, annoyingly however, isn't compatable and you'll have to spend £200 and buy the Speed Box DS Strobo to do the same thing.

edit - went with UK links.

Could I just do it manually and not buy that?
Also seems I have one recommendation for each now I was hoping it'd be an easy decision haha!
So if I buy either of the tables plus a tc750 I am good to go?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Bape Culture posted:

Could I just do it manually and not buy that?
Also seems I have one recommendation for each now I was hoping it'd be an easy decision haha!

Yes, you can do it manually, it's easy enough (and the Rega is similar).. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePqxCASmKLw

Bape Culture posted:

Either turntable will do you fine. They're the two I'm looking at as well.

Bape Culture posted:

Yes you are.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 27, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Another $7 impulse buy. It's just plastic, not a real metal faceplate, but it looks pretty nice nonetheless. The guy who sold it had "upgraded" from this little amp and some nice speakers to a soundbar.

Fisher CA-100, mid-80s vintage with 2x20W, nice and compact (less than 20cm deep). A little bit of power goes a long way when you're in a small room, and the manufacturer is actually being thruthful about the power rating. Anything over 1W on the meters is drat loud.

E: And it has now replaced the Blaupunkt set, as that had a noticeable hum when powered on :flaccid:

It's probably fine when you're at normal living room distance, but it's no good when it's on a shelf dresser right next to your head.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 27, 2015

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

I got the white one, looks really slick on the dark wood.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I've got the Rega and I love it. Nice design and good sound. Very minimalist so there's really not much that can go wrong with it that you can't fix if need be. I've been meaning to get the cartridge upgrade but I don't find the sound lacking right now.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Bape Culture posted:

In addition to what Dogen said, 78rpms are still around to a much less degree. They are usually 10". If you want to get into these, make sure you have a player capable of spinning them

Almost every record should say what speed they are on the label.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also don't they need a special stylus?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Dogen posted:

quote:

To playback your 78 RPM record with fidelity and accuracy you need to use a stylus designed for 78 RPM record grooves. A very common misconception is that you can use a LP stylus for playing 78 RPM records. This is one quick and sure way to damage the 78 record groove. Playing it once is enough. Moreover, the LP stylus is much narrower than the 78 RPM record groove hence the tip will slide to the bottom of the groove where debris has collected for many decades. This results in extraordinarily high surface noise. The LP stylus will also sway on either side of the groove wall or misses the groove wall where the sound was recorded. All in all, it's not good for the 78 RPM record, for your LP stylus, and for listening.

Sales list of needles for 78 records

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

You'll still need an amp+speakers or powered speakers.

As I said, it's a deep expensive rabbit hole but hey, at least either player will look sexy.

Animale fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 28, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah I have that big rear end Sony amp I mentioned and a beautiful set of monitor audio large fronts :)
Now I need to buy Taylor records...

One more question. I'm desperately minimalist. I can keep the cover off can't i?

I've decided to go for the project carbon. My inner car lover is too impressed with the carbon arm...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah I have that big rear end Sony amp I mentioned and a beautiful set of monitor audio large fronts :)
Now I need to buy Taylor records...

One more question. I'm desperately minimalist. I can keep the cover off can't i?

I've decided to go for the project carbon. My inner car lover is too impressed with the carbon arm...

The stock felt mat on the carbon attracts dust and cat hair like nobody's business, so I leave my cover on. If you replaced it with acrylic or something else hard you could probably leave it off as the rest of it is one flat shiny surface that would need a simple microfiber wipe and be fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bape Culture posted:

Qwijib0 posted:

The stock felt mat on the carbon attracts dust and cat hair like nobody's business, so I leave my cover on. If you replaced it with acrylic or something else hard you could probably leave it off as the rest of it is one flat shiny surface that would need a simple microfiber wipe and be fine.

Seconding the mat comments. On top of being a crazy dust vacuum, it's just generally a pretty lovely, flimsy felt mat and probably one of the most obvious places where Pro-Ject tried to save cost.

Fortunately, you can get nice rubber/cork/better felt mats online for anywhere from $10-$50. (FYI, all slipmats are turntable mats but not all turntable mats are slipmats, which are specifically designed to minimize friction with the platter for scratching and DJ'ing. Both will do a good job of sitting between the record and platter but you might have a harder/more expensive time finding something you like if you just look for "slipmats" thinking they're all the same thing, like a younger me did a few years ago).

If you're ok with giving your TT a 10-second dusting every few days (or better yet, whenever you use it) you should be fine.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah canned air and a duster is no problem :)

So is it a metal object that's coated in felt or something? For some reason I thought it was acrylic but everything has started to blur together!

Is there any reason I can't just leave a record on there and blow it off before I play it? Since I am very interested in the aesthetic too!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah canned air and a duster is no problem :)

So is it a metal object that's coated in felt or something? For some reason I thought it was acrylic but everything has started to blur together!

Is there any reason I can't just leave a record on there and blow it off before I play it? Since I am very interested in the aesthetic too!

The platter is metal and the felt mat sits on top of it-- I guess you could also put the felt mat away too and just pull it out when you want to play an album. I guess you could leave a record on it all the time, but eventually it will get dirty enough that you'll need to wash it, blowing it off won't clear out the crud that collects in the grooves. Unless you're playing it a lot.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Post pictures when you get it all set up. And don't pretend you don't already have microfibre towels scattered around your house, Bape.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Post pictures when you get it all set up. And don't pretend you don't already have microfibre towels scattered around your house, Bape.

:mrgw:

I'm still stuck on what colour to get. I'm dismayed that I've just bought baby blue and orange eames chairs (gulf livery lol don't tell my wife) and there isn't a matching one! Probably white I think.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Dogen posted:

Interesting! I did not know that. I buy 'lots' of records at auctions occasionally, and if I only learned one thing about 78's, it's that they are fragile as poo poo and nearly impossible to mail

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
They are made out of brittle lacquer, not plastic, and you shouldn't use alcohol to clean them because it'll dissolve the lacquer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bape Culture posted:

:mrgw:

I'm still stuck on what colour to get. I'm dismayed that I've just bought baby blue and orange eames chairs (gulf livery lol don't tell my wife) and there isn't a matching one! Probably white I think.

I'd go white or blue (tone mixing works really well with blues, I think).

The black and silver ones look boring as poo poo IRL.

It may/may not look good in your setup but my personal fave is the Lamborghini green.