Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nitrox posted:

They're at the bottom of the ravine already.

:lol:

Legdiian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsxZ-R27dBA

Saw this on my Facebook feed. Your standard burnout fail to front flip.

hahaha fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never understood how people manage to do that poo poo, burnouts on a bike are like the easiest thing in the world. It's a vehicle that lets you use the front brake separate to the rear from the factory, literally doesn't get any easier than that.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Never understood how people manage to do that poo poo, burnouts on a bike are like the easiest thing in the world. It's a vehicle that lets you use the front brake separate to the rear from the factory, literally doesn't get any easier than that.

Panic

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

First time I did a burnout on a bike my thinking was:

Hold the front brake to stop it going anywhere
Both feet on the ground to stop it falling over
Give it a huge amount of gas and drop the clutch quick so the tyre spins up instantly instead of trying to drive the bike forward

I guess the third one is where the difficulties lay?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

First time I did a burnout on a bike my thinking was:

Hold the front brake to stop it going anywhere
Both feet on the ground to stop it falling over
Give it a huge amount of gas and drop the clutch quick so the tyre spins up instantly instead of trying to drive the bike forward

I guess the third one is where the difficulties lay?

This is what I always do, but no clutch. I just twist the throttle while holding the brake. That was on a 500 though, if that matters.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, if you slip the clutch trying to get it to spin you're gonna push the front end, at which point you freak out, dump the clutch, whiskey the throttle, the front end picks up, you shut the power off and jump on the front brake hard.

Don't ask how I know.

Also don't ask how I know that you can lock the front when the bike tries to pick up the front trying to do a rolling burnout and push the front completely locked up at 80mph as you wonder how you haven't lowsided yet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, if you slip the clutch trying to get it to spin you're gonna push the front end, at which point you freak out, dump the clutch, whiskey the throttle, the front end picks up, you shut the power off and jump on the front brake hard.

Don't ask how I know.

Also don't ask how I know that you can lock the front when the bike tries to pick up the front trying to do a rolling burnout and push the front completely locked up at 80mph as you wonder how you haven't lowsided yet.

:psyduck:

I wish I had the kind of disposable income it takes to 'learn' stuff like that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
To be fair, I never crashed doing something dumb :v:

edit: haven't crashed yet doing something dumb*

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I only crash while doing mundane things like riding straight in gravel.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
My brother in law does stuff with things and those things are light;

quote:

Kawasaki H2. Weight is less than originals, but more important the panels are much stiffer.
the original head weighed ~1600g without the headlights, the carbon ~1000g. I dont have
a total weight as these are first parts, and a lot are overbuilt in thickness. I
think roughly in the end we will be ~40-50% lighter than stock parts

I'm a fan of my brother in law!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Left work early yesterday and went riding

I think I'm going to start doing flex time... start work at 6am instead of 9 and leave at 2 then go ride a few days a week. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

Don't ask how I know.

I once started off from a stop light, only to have a bicyclist run the poo poo out of the red...I jumped on the front brake, planning to pull in the clutch and give it a fistful of throttle to give the dude a bit of what for, and...forgot to pull in the clutch. Did a nice rolling burnout slowly into the intersection, and that was the first time I saw a man poo poo himself in real time.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Z3n posted:

I once started off from a stop light, only to have a bicyclist run the poo poo out of the red...I jumped on the front brake, planning to pull in the clutch and give it a fistful of throttle to give the dude a bit of what for, and...forgot to pull in the clutch. Did a nice rolling burnout slowly into the intersection, and that was the first time I saw a man poo poo himself in real time.

That's hilarious. Wish there was video.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

M42, is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP5qPvCAyfE

:shobon:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That was a close one :3:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Well, this brightened my morning.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Followup picture:

:kimchi:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Did she hand it over to Howard Wolowitz' mother?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:3: to the max. That lady is awesome

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Collateral Damage posted:

M42, is this you?

Nah, M42 would have ridden the cat home.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Nah, M42 would have ridden the cat home.

Truth!

I once saved a turtle off the road like that :kimchi:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Followup picture:

This made my day.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Followup picture:

And now there are fleas in that helmet. Cute cat though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shadowlz posted:

And now there are fleas in that helmet. Cute cat though.

Fleas don't jump from healthy animals onto synthetic poo poo I don't think.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

clutchpuck posted:

Splitlath EBR's new brake setup.

I was going to ask how the hell you even remove a wheel from this kind of setup, then remembered how to use Google.

Is there any front wheel that isn't a massive chore to remove? This type looks especially bad because you can't disengage the calipers from the brake disc until you've already disconnected the wheel from the fork ends, but even regular front wheels look like kind of a faff.

Even if it's one of those non-production pipe dream type things, surely some crazy engineer somewhere managed to figure out a front wheel that's as quick to remove as a rear ssa?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Semi-related, I was googling the yamaha gts 1000 and the top autocomplete suggestion was "yamaha gts 1000 cafe racer":

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Semi-related, I was googling the yamaha gts 1000 and the top autocomplete suggestion was "yamaha gts 1000 cafe racer":

Endurance bikes usually have a setup where the brakes pivot out of the way to make front wheel changes really quick.

Also I now want a GTS1000 to turn into a naked because I think if it were done competently it would look absolutely phenomenal and from the future.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

I was going to ask how the hell you even remove a wheel from this kind of setup, then remembered how to use Google.

Is there any front wheel that isn't a massive chore to remove? This type looks especially bad because you can't disengage the calipers from the brake disc until you've already disconnected the wheel from the fork ends, but even regular front wheels look like kind of a faff.

Even if it's one of those non-production pipe dream type things, surely some crazy engineer somewhere managed to figure out a front wheel that's as quick to remove as a rear ssa?

On my Buell XB it was really easy, all you had to do was remove the axle, move the wheel back far enough to get the rotor out of the caliper, and then remove the two bolts that connect the fender to the fork leg, after which the caliper could be rotated aside.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah. Uly's process is something like:

get it up and get the fender off
loosen the axle
position the wheel
undo one caliper bolt and pivot the caliper
remove the axle
push wheel up and back and it's free

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Endurance bikes usually have a setup where the brakes pivot out of the way to make front wheel changes really quick.

Also I now want a GTS1000 to turn into a naked because I think if it were done competently it would look absolutely phenomenal and from the future.

A quick Google search gives some cool (in a 90s cyberpunk way) results.

I hear the handling was poo poo because Yamaha didn't fully commit to the radd suspension concept. But that's coming from the guy that designs radd suspensions.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 22, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

A quick Google search gives some cool (in a 90s cyberpunk way) results.

I hear the handling was poo poo because Yamaha didn't fully commit to the radd suspension concept. But that's coming from the guy that designs radd suspensions.

No, you're 100% right. I remember reading an article by the guy who designed the suspension to start with and from what he said Yamaha basically just ran that poo poo into the ground and poisoned the idea for everyone else. They quite literally killed his dream and it was a little sad to read.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

I don't even know what you call that white thing, but it looks like Pingu made it out of packed snow.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's a foam mockup for the bodywork

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

That's pretty drat Radd.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ChlamydiaJones posted:

I'm a fan of my brother in law!

My wife and I checked out the street version a few weeks back and that one was lighter than I thought too. She wants one badly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slim Pickens posted:

If you remember where you read this I'd be interested to read it too, hearing engineers bitch about the big mc companies loving up the future of bikes is always fun.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Angryboot posted:

My wife and I checked out the street version a few weeks back and that one was lighter than I thought too. She wants one badly.

:hfive: the Enabling Spouse Club is the best club.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

If you remember where you read this I'd be interested to read it too, hearing engineers bitch about the big mc companies loving up the future of bikes is always fun.

Bored at work, found this piece via random googling. The tl;dr is JapaneseCorporateCulture.txt :japan:

It's good to hear he's still in the game though. Seems like most of the UK based bike engineering enthusiasts active in the 70s stopped trying after running out of money.

Slavvy posted:

Mostly I'm surprised anyone would think to cafe the gts, because it's fat as gently caress. But then again, so is the new tron bike :v:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/By1lM4P.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

He's so calm.