Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Wow I don't think there's anyone who's actually electable as Speaker and will placate the Tortilla Raiders

You deserve this Boehner and GOP In General

all of it :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

Also, guess who just claimed that the Holocaust was the fault of the Palestinians, that Hitler only wanted to expel Jews (to the middle east, making him pro zionist), but it was Jerusalem mufti who convinced him on final solution?

Go on, guess

GIven America's investment in the middle east, the peace process, and everything that has been happening with Israel lately, I'd say this is at least as relevant to American politics under foreign policy

He better stay out of France, I heard they prosecute Holocaust deniers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fried Chicken posted:

Raul Labrador said that the HFC won't give up on the power to vacate the chair.

Also, guess who just claimed that the Holocaust was the fault of the Palestinians, that Hitler only wanted to expel Jews (to the middle east, making him pro zionist), but it was Jerusalem mufti who convinced him on final solution?

Go on, guess

GIven America's investment in the middle east, the peace process, and everything that has been happening with Israel lately, I'd say this is at least as relevant to American politics under foreign policy

I had the WoW subforum open in another tab so I first read this post as talking about Hellfire Citadel's involvement with US politics. To be honest, that would probably be an improvement over the current state of affairs.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wow I don't think there's anyone who's actually electable as Speaker and will placate the Tortilla Raiders

You deserve this Boehner and GOP In General

all of it :unsmigghh:

The problem is that the rest of us are along for the ride whether we voted for them or not.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Not denouncing Bibi should be a loyalty test for the Dems at this point. If Israel won't kick him and his party to the curb, welp, elections have consequences.

Or in other words, gently caress Chuck.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Speaking of fuckin' Chuck, did the floor shitter's insane legal filing get covered here this weekend?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The problem is that the rest of us are along for the ride.

Oh long ago I resigned myself to like at least a decade of federal-level dysfunction and gridlock

To have hope for actual functional government again; what I would give

But for the time being the best thing to do seems to be to Enjoy The Show

I'm sure as hell glad I'm not poor or disadvantaged during this particular time period, though

yet

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Fried Chicken posted:

Speaking of fuckin' Chuck, did the floor shitter's insane legal filing get covered here this weekend?

No what was it

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Seriously though, I think Schumer would choose Bibi over Obama / Sanders / Clinton, mainly because he has, and that's an extremely serious problem if he's going to assume leadership.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Buffer posted:

Seriously though, I think Schumer would choose Bibi over Obama / Sanders / Clinton, mainly because he has, and that's an extremely serious problem if he's going to assume leadership.

There's no shortage of Israel Firsters among the Dems and good loving luck weeding them out, especially more senior members like Chucky.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Fried Chicken posted:

It got lost in one of the derails. It was covered. The article specificalły mentioning the bit about Charles and his denial of the floor making GBS threads incident. :lol:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hollismason posted:

No what was it

Shot

Chaser

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

I want to focus on that "less time on the road" bit - a lot of Boehner's power comes from his fundraising ($30M+ last cycle including his SuperPAC). If Paul Ryan doesn't raise as much money for 2016 he's going to have a lot less pull over Representatives in 2017. Combined with the possibility of reforms to Chairmanship selection, this could represent a major decrease in the power of the Speaker.

One of his demands is that the process for vacating the speaker's chair be altered. Presumably this would happen in a way that prevents the Tortilla Raiders from allying with the Democrats to take him out. Without looking at the exact rules, I can think of a handful of ways they could change things to fix that:
  • Only the Majority Party can vote for Speaker.
  • Vacating the Speaker's Chair requires a supermajority but once vacated, installing a new Speaker requires a majority vote.
  • Speaker votes have a run-off.
  • Speaker votes use plurality voting.

Those methods (it's not an exhaustive list) would either prevent the Tortilla Raiders from kicking the Speaker out or force them into a position where they can only choose between Pelosi and Ryan.

Turns out he's just straight-up demanding that the motion to remove a Speaker mid-session just straight up goes away. That's somewhat of a bigger grab - with the methods I mentioned above the Majority would still be able to replace the Speaker if he went totally off the rails or something but 30-40 of them couldn't hold him hostage.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Raul Labrador said that the HFC won't give up on the power to vacate the chair.

Go on, guess

poo poo. I guessed Mike Huckabee.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Aerox posted:

God bless Harry Reid.

John Boehner must hate Reid today almost as much as he hates the House GOP.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Potential BFF posted:

So when do the fine folks seated at the dark table with the Grey Alien and Einstein's brain decide that certain unstable elements need to be "accidentally" poked with prize delivering umbrellas? Being held hostage by stupidity is lame.

They don't exist and being held hostage by stupidity is our natural state. That we're occasionally able to overcome it is to our credit.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

It did not.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Aerox posted:

God bless Harry Reid.

You know if Obama, Reid, and Pelosi just kept endorsing every candidate who could be mildly effective they could probably walk in someone they actually want in the position.

I mean really Obama just needs to walk up and hug a guy on camera to ruin his political career in the republican party now.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

So he never got schwifty? Yeah, sure buddy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

I had the WoW subforum open in another tab so I first read this post as talking about Hellfire Citadel's involvement with US politics. To be honest, that would probably be an improvement over the current state of affairs.

Speaker Saurfang would not stand for the HFC's bullshit.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Joe shouldn't announce and he should shut his mouth before he shits the rest of the goodwill the base has offered him down his leg.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Real Biden and Onion Coolguy Biden aren't the same person. I'd rather he just goes away and spend time with his family at this point.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You know if Obama, Reid, and Pelosi just kept endorsing every candidate who could be mildly effective they could probably walk in someone they actually want in the position.

I mean really Obama just needs to walk up and hug a guy on camera to ruin his political career in the republican party now.

That is truly an amazing power to have. Just by a small association, you can ruin the political career of someone.

I am a bit of a glutton for punishment and enjoy reading the comments sections on Yahoo, ABC news and the like. One of my favorites on ABC was "ObUma supports him, CALL YOUR CONGRESSMEN NOW AND TELL THEM NOT TO VOTE FOR THE RYAN SCUM."

:circlefap:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Were there signs that Biden had changed his mind about running for POTUS even before Beau passed?

I mean, I get that people still keep saying he's going to run any day now well past the point of sensibility is because they need that horserace narrative, but that idea comes from the idea that Biden has wanted to become POTUS for a long time now and this is the closest he's gotten.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
There is no reason for him to be revising history and rebuking Clinton if he isn't running. The reason people act like he's going to run is his current actions are even less explicable if he isn't.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he's in a 'bridge-burning' phase of depression. Make crazy comments, make people stop liking you, maybe they'll leave you alone.

I have studied psychology for no years, so I'm very perceptive of these things.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

Turns out he's just straight-up demanding that the motion to remove a Speaker mid-session just straight up goes away. That's somewhat of a bigger grab - with the methods I mentioned above the Majority would still be able to replace the Speaker if he went totally off the rails or something but 30-40 of them couldn't hold him hostage.

I'd imagine that he's holding out for something similar to how a few places (IIRC) handle votes of confidence. Instead of voting to vacate the chair, they would need to vote in a new speaker who then takes the position.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Not lying as the center clause tells me that he is lying about floorshitting.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

fool_of_sound posted:

Not lying as the center clause tells me that he is lying about floorshitting.

He's just saying that he hasn't lied or been caught lying before.

If he were to directly lie after that he would still be telling the truth. Except for the lying about not making GBS threads on a floor.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gravel Gravy posted:

He's just saying that he hasn't lied or been caught lying before.

If he were to directly lie after that he would still be telling the truth. Except for the lying about not making GBS threads on a floor.

Yes that was my point.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
chuck j is in a good spot in life, where he feels compelled to swear and affirm under oath in a court of law that he's never poo poo on a floor, public or private. we've all been there

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

fool_of_sound posted:

Yes that was my point.

Just wanted to draw the explanation out for our viewers at home.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, fun to see things go so far that we get to see this on predictit: Current 75% chance of not defaulting on the debt limit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

Well, fun to see things go so far that we get to see this on predictit: Current 75% chance of not defaulting on the debt limit.

The best part about betting in the affirmative there is that if you are wrong, you'd lose a bunch of your cash presumably right before you lost your job.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Magugu posted:

That is truly an amazing power to have. Just by a small association, you can ruin the political career of someone.

I am a bit of a glutton for punishment and enjoy reading the comments sections on Yahoo, ABC news and the like. One of my favorites on ABC was "ObUma supports him, CALL YOUR CONGRESSMEN NOW AND TELL THEM NOT TO VOTE FOR THE RYAN SCUM."

:circlefap:

He should start endorsing Tortilla Coasters and watch them devour their own.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Giving it some thought, I find myself in agreement with Paul Ryan - every American worker should be able to demand defined substantial family time and a guarantee it will be respected as part of their job description.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

tehllama posted:

Worked in the Twilight Zone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't think the Democratic Party works that way. I'm sure he'll get a "challenge" but I think it'll mostly be media hype more than anything and he'll be made Majority Leader pretty quickly.

I mean, unless you want Dick Durbin. Those are your two options, and he'd almost certainly step aside if Schumer wanted it. You don't make it that far without some party loyalty. The Senate ain't the House.

The Iran vote isn't important at all. What is important is the moves he has already done behind the scenes with Republicans to create some sort of "grand bargain" part deux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

tehllama posted:

Part of me thinks that Obama should go full on Trollbama and just start endorsing Republicans left and right but being super sarcastic and ironic, so that it's clear he's not serious but hardcore Republicans who don't understand irony explode and start cannibalizing.

• Locked thread