Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CommonShore posted:

You know what? They're probably going to run a season of TUF in his weight class soon, and they'll throw in the house couple guys who have 1 to 3 fights . They'll likely have Punk fight the one of them who performs the best and/or represents a favourable style matchup.

Of all possible ways of finding him an opponent, that seems the most reasonable.

A TUF tournament where the winner gets the privilege of fighting CM Punk would simultaneously be completely meaningless and also way better than the actual traditional TUF contract due to the fact that a CM Punk fight will do stupid numbers the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

A TUF tournament where the winner gets the privilege of fighting CM Punk would simultaneously be completely meaningless and also way better than the actual traditional TUF contract due to the fact that a CM Punk fight will do stupid numbers the first time.

I wasn't suggesting that he'd fight the winner. I mean they'll do a middleweight tournament and have CM Punk fight a mediocre-at-fighting but charismatic also-ran, and then only announce that toward the end of the series when the finale is getting booked.

gently caress, anyone who could win a tuf tournament, even a TUF 19, would straight-up murder Punk. Again, I'm talking someone who is 1-0, wins the fight into the house, and then gets RNCed by a 9-3 prospect in 90 seconds into his next fight.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

lawlor vs. maldonado is off

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

acai moonsault posted:

lawlor vs. maldonado is off

reading Lawlor's reason for pulling out of the fight made me sort of sad:

Filthy Tom Lawlor posted:

By "Filthy" Tom Lawlor

Due to unfortunate circumstances I have decided not to fight on November 7th against Fabio Maldonado in Sao Paulo, Brasil. On Saturday during a training session I suffered a small cut over my left eye due to a head-to-head clash after a takedown. The cut suffered was deep, though not deep enough to jeopardize my ability to fight on November 7th. I returned home to spend time with my newborn son and watch some of my teammates compete in a World Series of Fighting event later that night.

While watching the fights and a Boston College football game it became increasingly harder to focus on what was in front of me. I have very good eyesight when tested; however it was taking longer for the blurs and lights to go away as I watched the two contests. As time passed I became more mindful of the vision problems I was experiencing and I began to think about the fortunes of a fighter I share the same initials with (Thomas Joseph): TJ Grant. Former #1 UFC Lightweight contender TJ Grant now works in potash mines in Saskatchewan, Canada. While working a "real" job is a fine way to make a living, I long ago decided that I have no desire to go back to that world.

I grew up as a fervent professional wrestling fan, and when the UFC was introduced I saw UFC 2 on a VHS tape at a friend's house. I was 10 years old at the time. As I grew to be older I was more than an avid fan. I was in high school and my spare time was filled with activities that no teenage male likes to admit in public: playing wrestling video games and competing in E-feds. But it wasn't just the easily accessible WWE, WCW, and ECW stuff I was watching. At the time the UFC was hardly a household name. Not easily found on PPV and relegated to tape trading, the UFC had a future that was uncertain at best. But in Japan, the stakes were just raising and I was ordering events like RINGS Kings of Kings '99 and Pride 8 through Internet websites. As if that wasn't enough, I would even go to such great lengths as staying up until 4 AM to read people type results in ICQ chat rooms as they watched the events live!

I've had what some would say is a successful career in the UFC. As of this writing I hold a UFC record of 6 wins and 4 losses. Two of those losses are somewhat controversial split decisions; I lost to a grizzled veteran in his home country, and I was soundly defeated by the current 185-pound champion in minutes. But to me, I am both a success and a failure. The young boy that I once was, that still resides in me, is happy and ecstatic for me every time I get to drive to the gym to twist, wrench, and wreck my body for the next two hours. But the adult who has just watched the birth of his first child can't help but feel as if there isn't enough money for the future.

Fortunately, and I truly do thank them for this, the UFC has been generous to me with performance bonus money which has allowed me to continue living this dream for the past seven years. Much like most dream sequences that seem too good to be true, now is not the time that I want to wake up and live in the "real" world. Unfortunately for now, there is a constant headache that has woken me up long enough to be advised not to compete due to a concussion suffered from the previously-mentioned head crash.

There is no doubt in my mind that three weeks ago whoever votes in the UFC rankings finally had it right, and I was listed amongst the top fighters in the world. I also realize that by fighting in this state I risk my future ability to continue climbing those ranks, which would finally serve both masters (my young and adult selves) adequately. With more wins comes greater compensation, and the birth of my son has finally given my adult self the motivation that was needed to turn that sense of failure into one of success.

I just traveled a long two years off to come back and score a win over a top 15 fighter and earn a Performance of the Night award on July 25th in Chicago, IL. But that was never the goal; the goal was always to keep living that young boy's dream. To raise my hands, hear the roar of the crowd, and become intoxicated in the moment. It is a moment that it is unforgettable, surpassed only by the unexplainable joy that seeing your son or daughter for the first time can provide. It seems as if now my life revolves around the dreams about this sport that I had as a young boy and the dreams that I possess for one's future; And that is absolutely okay with me.

Next year will mark another return for me on the way to a longer and more productive career because of this decision. My motivation for fighting will continue to grow as will my skill-set and understanding of life. It has to. I'd hate for my son to grow up and dare to live a dream because I set an example that resulted in having to stop living mine. So in 2016, look for me to be back in the Top 15, beating Top 10 opponents, and proving to every young boy who has to watch the UFC behind his parent's back and every adult that worries about their family that dreams can and do come true.

By the way Fabio Maldonado is still fighting on the card against Corey Anderson. Fabio Maldonado doesn't give a poo poo about brain trauma.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

reading Lawlor's reason for pulling out of the fight made me sort of sad:

By the way Fabio Maldonado is still fighting on the card against Corey Anderson. Fabio Maldonado doesn't give a poo poo about brain trauma.

genuinely liked filthy tom. i'm sad to see him go, but happy to see him go on his own terms.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

genuinely liked filthy tom. i'm sad to see him go, but happy to see him go on his own terms.

The statement doesn't read like he's retiring; he's just taking the rest of the year to heal his concussion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bumpy Johnson posted:

The statement doesn't read like he's retiring; he's just taking the rest of the year to heal his concussion.

yeah you're right, but tj grant was coming right back too, so i'm preparing myself for the worst

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

It's weird that my brain read 'concerned about a concussion' as 'never seeing this guy again'. The loss of TJ grant may have affected me.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tom said that he stood to make $28k for the fight and $28k for a win and when you average a performance bonus every other fight into that the numbers don't add up for him to do the fight in this condition.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

That guys fist is loving tiny. It's like he has a baby hand grafted onto his arm.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That's called DJ Paul Syndrome

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

It's already been pulled but it was fun watching MMA twitter blow up while it lasted.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Not that it matters, but who hosed up, the ufc or reebok?

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
I'm gonna guess Reebok based on their prior record of phoning in the shirt designs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
hey at least they spelt "Ireland" right on this one

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The whole island is Ireland that map is the republic, even if it said ROI instead though it's still bizarrely political and confrontational. Though not as bad as the time Nike marketed "Black and Tan" runners for St. Patrick’s day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:lol: reebok is such a shitshow.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Even aside from the lovely political implications, is a map of ireland with "IRELAND UFC" the laziest imaginable t-shirt design? I could come up with something better than that poo poo and I'm the least fashionable person on earth.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Even aside from the lovely political implications, is a map of ireland with "IRELAND UFC" the laziest imaginable t-shirt design? I could come up with something better than that poo poo and I'm the least fashionable person on earth.

Better than shamrock or leprechaun, worse than almost anything else. Speaking of...

:3:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Now every fight kit has disappeared from the Reebok store except for like 6 people and Ronda Rousey, who is the Women's Champion of UFC according to the store.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

afatwhiteloaf posted:

It's already been pulled but it was fun watching MMA twitter blow up while it lasted.

what am i looking at here

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

david carmichael posted:

They cut Northern Ireland out of the map.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

david carmichael posted:

It says "Ireland" with a photo of the island of Ireland, which in reality includes both the country Ireland and the bit that isn't sure whether it wants to be England or Ireland but here does not.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
oh no!

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
looks like its curtains for reebok

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
or whatever irish people call curtains. dual carriageways?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
At this point I'm convinced the UFC division of Reebok is just someone's mom with an old copy of Printshop.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

david carmichael posted:

or whatever irish people call curtains. dual carriageways?

haha

mewse
May 2, 2006

Trast posted:

At this point I'm convinced the UFC division of Reebok is just someone's mom with an old copy of Printshop.

And her son Giblert

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
it's admirable how utterly worthless the reebok deal has been for almost all parties involved

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Trast posted:

its gotta be a dumping ground for interns. "This bitch won't fetch coffee, go send her to the UFC division"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it's admirable how utterly worthless the reebok deal has been for almost all parties involved

They keep finding new ways to surprise me.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

and yet it should have been the easiest home run ever when previous MMA apparel was flaming pitbull skulls and nazi propaganda and every other sponsor avoided paying the fighter until they were called out on social media.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now every fight kit has disappeared from the Reebok store except for like 6 people and Ronda Rousey, who is the Women's Champion of UFC according to the store.

"Fighters will be able to make up lost sponsorship money when people buy their merchandise, like their official Fight Kits!" - Fuckboy Supreme Dana White

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

LobsterMobster posted:

"Fighters will be able to make up lost sponsorship money when people buy their merchandise, like their official Fight Kits!" - Fuckboy Supreme Dana White

Sure it's made of two pieces of tissue paper glued together, it incorrectly represe ts the fighter's name or ethnicity and it costs $95, but it's only available in 15-minute intervals which means it's a collector's item! Everyone will want one!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

Sure it's made of two pieces of tissue paper glued together, it incorrectly represe ts the fighter's name or ethnicity and it costs $95, but it's only available in 15-minute intervals which means it's a collector's item! Everyone will want one!

Is the quality that low?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Looks like they dropped the prices on the jerseys by 20 bucks too?
(I'm not sure this is one of my bi-annual reebok fight kit website checks)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

They keep finding new ways to surprise me.

Just wait til the Bobby Sands Official Reebok Fight Kit comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

I thought maybe it was a bug with the search box but below it says CLICK YOUR FAVORITE FIGHTER with photos of like Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva and most of them have no gear anymore :lol:

• Locked thread