Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
The fact he has the nickname "rookie crusher" hints that it's something that goes beyond just being the first prosecutor rookies meets. I think I recall in either 1-1or 3-1 Mia or the fat attorney pretty much outright talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Winston Payne apparently had a 7 year perfect win streak against defense attorneys before Mia came into the picture, but since he had the title of "Rookie Killer", I'd say his opposition consistently just didn't know how to combat Payne's case properly. Even Phoenix was at a loss as to how to attack and discredit Payne's case in 1-1. Mia was just really good at her job and her talent and ability to fight back caught Payne off guard.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I am so hyped for more Apollo Justice.

I just wanted to say that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is Apollo still the (second?) most popular AA character? Because I'm cool with that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is Apollo still the (second?) most popular AA character? Because I'm cool with that.

What the...? There's no way that's right.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

What the...? There's no way that's right.

It's not.

From the poll taken after DD he was the first most popular character.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I have to say Apollolo really made a strong impact with his appearance in the last case. I actually felt his emotions when I saw the reactions and facial expressions he made after Clay's death. And the best part, I think, is that it all actually makes sense with his personality and motivations, I just thought "Yeah, I can completely understand that dork doing things that way."

nftyw fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 19, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also you have to respect anybody who puts that much effort into developing the strength of their vocal cords.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So after playing through AA1-3 and Dual Destinies I'm on Apollo Justice. Yeah...uh, I've been spoiled pretty hard by the text speed up options the 3DS games have. Has anyone played AJ on a Supercard DSTwo who knows how to input the dialogue speedup cheat or something?

And maybe it's just me, but Apollo is pretty endearing so far, but maybe it's just Dual Destinies helping.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Last Celebration posted:

So after playing through AA1-3 and Dual Destinies I'm on Apollo Justice. Yeah...uh, I've been spoiled pretty hard by the text speed up options the 3DS games have. Has anyone played AJ on a Supercard DSTwo who knows how to input the dialogue speedup cheat or something?

And maybe it's just me, but Apollo is pretty endearing so far, but maybe it's just Dual Destinies helping.

Hope you don't like apollo because it's not his game lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Hope you don't like apollo because it's not his game lol

Tbqh I'm pretty cool with Apollo Justice being about hobo Phoenix since Apollo's doing a good job of stealing Phoenix's screentime between Dual Destinies and the new game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think Apollo's sleeves look cool.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

See if you can download a completed save game. The only thing you needed in games prior to AA5 (I think?) to get the ability to fast forward is to beat the case. Then that case would forever let you speed up the text.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

ChaosArgate posted:

See if you can download a completed save game. The only thing you needed in games prior to AA5 (I think?) to get the ability to fast forward is to beat the case. Then that case would forever let you speed up the text.

I'm replaying AA5 and you get the ability to fast-forward any text as long as you've already read it once. Whenever I try something different and the game shows me text I haven't seen before, I can't skip ahead. Which means that every single text box has its own flag, which is an interesting design choice.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

I'm replaying AA5 and you get the ability to fast-forward any text as long as you've already read it once. Whenever I try something different and the game shows me text I haven't seen before, I can't skip ahead. Which means that every single text box has its own flag, which is an interesting design choice.

Surely they'd just need to give every conversation its own flag, rather than each text box? After all, it's not like you can get out of a conversation if you choose to talk to someone in the game - you just have to wait for it to end. All the game would have to know is if you've chosen that particular dialogue option before, or examined that object, or presented that evidence, etc., to know if you could skip the dialogue there or not.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

smenj posted:

Surely they'd just need to give every conversation its own flag, rather than each text box? After all, it's not like you can get out of a conversation if you choose to talk to someone in the game - you just have to wait for it to end. All the game would have to know is if you've chosen that particular dialogue option before, or examined that object, or presented that evidence, etc., to know if you could skip the dialogue there or not.

I can't remember for sure, but it's not unheard of for the series to have a conversation that starts the same but branches between a dead end and actual progress based on you doing the proper thing at a different statement.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

I can't remember for sure, but it's not unheard of for the series to have a conversation that starts the same but branches between a dead end and actual progress based on you doing the proper thing at a different statement.

Well, yeah, but in that case it'd just be three different conversations, each of which could have their own seen/not seen flag. One leading up to the bit where you have to present something, then one you get if you present the wrong thing, and one you get if you present the correct thing. No idea if that's how they actually do it or not, but it sounds better than every text box having its own flag.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just saw this (terrible quality, I know) concept art for Edgeworth in AA5:

And I had to share, because I'm giggling for real at Mustache & Goatee Edgeworth right now.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Amppelix posted:

I just saw this (terrible quality, I know) concept art for Edgeworth in AA5:

And I had to share, because I'm giggling for real at Mustache & Goatee Edgeworth right now.

The real prize was his concept art for AAvsPL.
(His outfit barely changes :ssh:)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

"What is an attorney? A miserable pile of lies and contradictions."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The third Edgeworth looks like he's from loving Zeon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I beat Apollo Justice. It's a pretty good game, and Apollo is a pretty good protagonist. Hobo Phoenix is pretty much the ultimate example of a character becoming much better when they become an NPC though. Almost to the point that it seems dumb that AA5 has him not just yawning his way through every case, even if he does bullshit less.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AJ Phoenix was vastly different as a character to the point that I barely recognized him as Phoenix.

At least until that period during 4-4 where you got to play as him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

AJ Phoenix was vastly different as a character to the point that I barely recognized him as Phoenix.

At least when he's not a PC in Dual Destinies, he sort of comes across as a non-stoned version of his AJ self. And even in AJ, I was far more taken aback by how good he was in Case 1 than the whole stoner thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Phoenix is pretty alright in AJ except for case 4 though.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Really hoping Edgeworth isn't in the new game, though I know he will be. I'm really tired of him being shoehorned into story arcs where he doesn't really have a place, and honestly never really thought he was that great to begin with.

I would love to see Skye return though. It was great seeing her as a badass detective in AJ.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've recently finished the DLC case and I thought it was great, although I was not prepare for the length of it, felt longer actual in-game cases. I did get to cross-examine a major witness and Phoenix resolution not to merely get a Not Guilty sentence was good, too. Then I've finished case 3 and even though I figured out what was going on a fair bit before the end how we got there was still enjoyable, and Athena's antics with the statue were just great. It can't be easy fighting with the Wright agency, because those fuckers can bluff through everything and it still somehow works.

I appreciate the streamlined Investigation phases and the message that I've seen everything - one can mostly go back and look at inconsequential items, and even if not in most cases it's obvious what you need to look at in order to proceed.

One could say that the Retry option makes multiple answer questions a bit like busywork, but in the previous games I just saved before trying out joke answers, so I appreciate that I can just choose them outright and have a few seconds to choose Retry and be just where I was.

Edit: also the text log is great to see fast flying jokes, no longer will a clown's confession fly by me unnoticed. It's a shame both Select and Start link to the Save menu, one would think one of those would allow selecting Text Log - I think it's the only button only accessible by the touch screen, even.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 4, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's been a while, but doesn't Y open the text log?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

Phoenix resolution not to merely get a Not Guilty sentence was good, too.

This was my favorite part of that case, too. I'm glad Marlon got a happy ending. :unsmith:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's been a while, but doesn't Y open the text log?

Hmm, I'll have to try, although I should have tried that already.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This was my favorite part of that case, too. I'm glad Marlon got a happy ending. :unsmith:

Phoenix Wright will defend everyone, as long as they're innocent! And even if they're not, if they have a large enough leverage.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If not Y, then try X? It should be one of those.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

Hmm, I'll have to try, although I should have tried that already.

Phoenix Wright will defend everyone, as long as they're innocent! And even if they're not, if they have a large enough leverage.

Sometimes he'll even get them off for crimes they did commit!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
It is Y to bring up text log, this changes everything! Thanks, friends, my one gripe has been voided.

TheKingofSprings posted:

He is a defence attorney, after all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

He is a defence attorney, after all.

You take that for granted, but in AAI2 an Defence Attorney ends up stalling for time so you can help find his client guilty, it would be wrong if a guilty person were found innocent you see ...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You take that for granted, but in AAI2 an Defence Attorney ends up stalling for time so you can help find his client guilty, it would be wrong if a guilty person were found innocent you see ...

Yeah, I don't know what they expected us to think of that scene. AAI2 introduces a bunch of characters who are really bad at what they do, and I don't know how much of it is intentional.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Uncle Ray is only equipped for hugs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, he thought Ron was innocent of theft at the time. :shobon:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Last Celebration posted:

I beat Apollo Justice. It's a pretty good game, and Apollo is a pretty good protagonist. Hobo Phoenix is pretty much the ultimate example of a character becoming much better when they become an NPC though. Almost to the point that it seems dumb that AA5 has him not just yawning his way through every case, even if he does bullshit less.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Hobo Phoenix is a neat visual design but his personality is like a combination of all my least favorite anime character tropes. All that was missing was him constantly pushing up his glasses while smirking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It would be wrong if a guilty person were found innocent because someone was threatening to gank the judge's kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Hobo Phoenix is a neat visual design but his personality is like a combination of all my least favorite anime character tropes. All that was missing was him constantly pushing up his glasses while smirking.

Um, obviously that's what Kristoph is there for, mouthbreather.

But yeah, misworded that. I was referring the whole thing where videogame characters seem to become much better when you're not using them rather than Hobo Phoenix being a better character than Attorney Phoenix. Specifically Hobo Phoenix's absurd levels of competence and general steamrolling of Kristoph Gavin compared to constantly going "That sentence sounds slightly dubious! Time to present a piece of evidence to bullshit my way to a Not Guilty verdict!". I can kind of see how people would dislike that level of competence since it's bull in a completely different way, but it's not like "My dead mentor came back from the dead through her little sister to help me" or "My dead mentor came back from the dead through her little sister's kid cousin to help me" are really way better, and it made for a pretty amazing Case 1.

• Locked thread