Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Blue Revolution" makes me think it's gonna be another social/mobile game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

That's exactly what I thought when I read it. There's zero chance Sega wont gently caress this up.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dross posted:

Except that from what I understand, DeS is the least forgiving.

Probably true! I'd still say that, for game mechanics reasons, it's best to play them in release order.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"Valkyria Chronicles" is the localized name. In Japan the games are called "Valkyria of the Battlefield". So I don't think that's a particularly big reason to believe it'll be mobile.

That said it's either gonna be mobile or not release in the west or the game will be bad, because that is how these things work.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Away trolls! It will be ps4/PC and it will be epic

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dross posted:

Except that from what I understand, DeS is the least forgiving.
Correct. Demon's puts checkpoints after bosses. Beat one and you can respawn at that point, but die anywhere in the level and you start at the beginning. It's possible to open permanent shortcuts but they're not always super convenient. The Dark Souls games put bonfires throughout the game as checkpoints, and not always after bosses. An area often has 2-3 bonfires, and 2 sometimes even hides one behind a hidden wall right before a boss. It's generally much less frustrating that way, even though the Dark games have some considerably tougher areas at times.

Demon's is also perfectly playable after Dark, I think. Honestly I'd play Dark -> Demon's -> Dark 2/Bloodborne. The QoL refinements of 2 are sometimes a pain to go back to, but Dark and Demon's play very similarly except that Demon's is slightly faster and slightly jankier. Dark 2 is a bit faster-paced than Dark but slower than Demon's, and Bloodborne is intentionally more fast-paced.

All are excellent games everybody should play if they can, just bear in mind unless you're a huge fan of difficult games you'll probably hate it at first and then slowly grow to obsessively love it, because the Souls games bring forth your primal desire to conquer and intentionally frustrate you until you get good.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'd argue the checkpoints make it the most giving right after the free teleport from DS2. The levels aren't that big and if you're used to Dark Souls rhythm and style, it's not very hard either. Not a criticism, though, I still enjoy it's moody and strange atmosphere the most out of all the Souls games and being punched by a dragon for having the gall to beat the tutorial boss is pretty funny.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terper posted:

That said it's either gonna be mobile or not release in the west or the game will be bad, because that is how these things work.

Wasn't VC1 a much bigger success out west than in Japan?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I got DeS from PS+ years ago and I've installed and started it probably 14 times, and the farthest I can ever get is to kill the first boss and then everywhere I go I'm immediately overpowered and killed and then I really have no chance after that because my HP bar has been halved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't VC1 a much bigger success out west than in Japan?

No. It underperformed everywhere. The steam release might have changed that but VC bombed at launch .

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

According to Steamspy, VC has sold over 500k copies since its release on Steam. That's pretty darn good.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dross posted:

I got DeS from PS+ years ago and I've installed and started it probably 14 times, and the farthest I can ever get is to kill the first boss and then everywhere I go I'm immediately overpowered and killed and then I really have no chance after that because my HP bar has been halved.
There's a ring near the first major checkpoint of the first level that sets your HP to 75% instead of half while dead, and being in spirit form does make you a little harder for enemies to detect (apparently you make less sound). But yes, it's difficult. Try turtling behind a shield and taking things slowly and methodically. Methodical approaches are almost never disadvantageous in a Souls game, taking your time is usually better than trying to maintain a pace. Starting as a Knight gives you one of the better weapons, a good suit of armor, decent Vitality, and a 100% physical damage block shield, all of which are nice cushions to get through the first level.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

Away trolls! It will be ps4/PC and it will be epic

Yes, and it will never be translated because Sega.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's gonna be a PC game only and released directly to the west. And then Sega is gonna be like "what's that Japan? You want more Valkyrie? Well go back in time and buy VC3 lots and maybe we'll think about bringing it home as a reward for your support"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sega will translate it but only after they've done Yakuza Ishin, Zero, 1 Kiwami and 6.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Nakar posted:

There's a ring near the first major checkpoint of the first level that sets your HP to 75% instead of half while dead, and being in spirit form does make you a little harder for enemies to detect (apparently you make less sound). But yes, it's difficult. Try turtling behind a shield and taking things slowly and methodically. Methodical approaches are almost never disadvantageous in a Souls game, taking your time is usually better than trying to maintain a pace. Starting as a Knight gives you one of the better weapons, a good suit of armor, decent Vitality, and a 100% physical damage block shield, all of which are nice cushions to get through the first level.

This is one of the biggest differences between DeS and DS1/2. You can get by in either DS game going in blind and making dumb decisions but DeS is a lot more obtuse and poorly balanced and you are more likely to end up confused and screwed. Most people need a bit of prep advice to have the patience to get into DeS and there's no shame in checking a wiki when you get stuck. DeS is still a great game with amazing atmosphere but it has a lot of rough edges.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sega will translate it but only after they've done Yakuza Ishin, Zero, 1 Kiwami and 6.

Don't forget PSO2.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
maybe atlus usa will localize it

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is one of the biggest differences between DeS and DS1/2. You can get by in either DS game going in blind and making dumb decisions but DeS is a lot more obtuse and poorly balanced and you are more likely to end up confused and screwed. Most people need a bit of prep advice to have the patience to get into DeS and there's no shame in checking a wiki when you get stuck. DeS is still a great game with amazing atmosphere but it has a lot of rough edges.

See, that's why I think he should play it first. The game is hard, but it's by no means impenetrable to a Souls newbie, and its mechanical weirdness can be visible even without the improved mechanics of the sequels in mind. In my opinion he should just get some basic Before I Play style advice and let loose on the franchise in release order.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Stage 3 is of DeS is absolutely amazing as far as atmosphere goes.
Of course, any dungeon would be enhanced by mindflayers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well, heres my trip report for Valkrie Profile 2: Silmeria

selects New Game
plays opening cutscene
freezes at "READING DISC"

my first lemon from amazon!!! hooray

what's weird is there's no scratches or marks on the disc. OH WELL!!!!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I bought a PS4 for Dragon Age Inquisition.

Kinda regretting getting it for that reason, although I needed a PS4. Gotta be ready for FFVII Remake.

But I decided to give BW a chance to redeem themselves. I'm playing Jade Empire on the PC for the first time and really loving it. JE was their first ever original setting, right? I wonder why it didn't take off like Dragon Age or Mass Effect. I'm only at right before the confrontation with the Emperor and I hear there are many cool twists and turns to come. I was afraid this game would feel "rough" or aged like KOTOR but it's actually really fun and interesting.

Awesome music, too.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
You have Witcher 3, Disgaea 5, the latest Tales game, Fallout 4, and those Sword Arts games at your disposal now/soon if you're interested in any of those. Probably janky versions of Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 as well. It's not the best platform for RPG's but there's stuff to enjoy.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also, uh, Bloodborne.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Well, yeah, uh I mean if your into those kinds of games. Good games, that is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And Omega Quintet

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sakurazuka posted:

And Omega Quintet

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

You have Witcher 3, Disgaea 5, the latest Tales game, Fallout 4, and those Sword Arts games at your disposal now/soon if you're interested in any of those. Probably janky versions of Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 as well. It's not the best platform for RPG's but there's stuff to enjoy.

I forgot about Fallout 4, which is weird because I really liked FO3 and NV and just played them for the first time a few short months ago.

Tales and Disgaea...ehhh.

The Witcher interests me but it's the third game. Do I need to know about 1 and 2?

Sakurazuka posted:

And Omega Quintet

I was going to give it a try. I mean, it's a turn-based JRPG with awesome music from what I hear.. That's enough for me. I don't expect it to blow my mind but it's something to add to my growing collection.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Make sure you get it cheap

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

The Witcher interests me but it's the third game. Do I need to know about 1 and 2?

Knowing some basic things is helps, but otherwise it's perfectly fine without playing 1 or 2. Don't let that keep you from one of the best RPGs ever made.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
"Awesome music" may be an overstatement. But it's a pretty slow game. Not performance wise, it's just sorta meandering and you can take forever in combat phases if you feel like optimizing stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HGH posted:

"Awesome music" may be an overstatement. But it's a pretty slow game. Not performance wise, it's just sorta meandering and you can take forever in combat phases if you feel like optimizing stuff.

At least it has an option for quick/no combat animations

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Andrast posted:

Knowing some basic things is helps, but otherwise it's perfectly fine without playing 1 or 2. Don't let that keep you from one of the best RPGs ever made.

I will pick it up next month then. I do love me some WRPG Choices and I've heard a lot of praise for that in Witcher 3.

Looks like November is set for me then.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

At least it has an option for quick/no combat animations
I think their implementation of animation skipping is something I'd like to see more often. Usually most games have an on/off button in the settings, but multiple skip buttons that can be used midbattle is the sort of streamlining I like and I wish it was around in the PS2 era. I've been spoiled by 10/20 second long battles now.

Of course, nothing will ever beat SRW for super intricate animation skipping/manipulation.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

So I bought a PS4 for Dragon Age Inquisition.

Kinda regretting getting it for that reason, although I needed a PS4. Gotta be ready for FFVII Remake.

But I decided to give BW a chance to redeem themselves. I'm playing Jade Empire on the PC for the first time and really loving it. JE was their first ever original setting, right? I wonder why it didn't take off like Dragon Age or Mass Effect. I'm only at right before the confrontation with the Emperor and I hear there are many cool twists and turns to come. I was afraid this game would feel "rough" or aged like KOTOR but it's actually really fun and interesting.

Awesome music, too.

Dragon Quest Heroes is a blast, along with the other games everyone named.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/atelier-rorona-plus-the-alchemist-of-arland/114996

New Atelier Rorona Plus on PS3 is now $9.99 used ($8.99PUR.) Not a bad deal especially since the only DLC for the game is a swimsuit and a past game music collection.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has there been discussion of Legend of Legacy? Somehow it flew under my radar, but I'm a huge SaGa fan and it seems kind of appealing. I found a video review that absolutely hated it, but every negative point they brought up just made me go, "Yep, sounds like a SaGa game." But is it a good SaGa game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Has there been discussion of Legend of Legacy? Somehow it flew under my radar, but I'm a huge SaGa fan and it seems kind of appealing. I found a video review that absolutely hated it, but every negative point they brought up just made me go, "Yep, sounds like a SaGa game." But is it a good SaGa game?

It isn't really. I like SaGa games but LoL feels to me like someone trying to replicate SaGa.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat. I really wanted a good, new SaGa game to play. I guess I can just go replay Frontier or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've heard no end of complaints from my friends playing Legend. I just haven't had the time to play it.

What's the buzz on DQ Heroes? It just looked like a musou clone to me.