Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Acne Rain posted:

My own suspicion is that the show will get interesting when around episode 20 to 30 ghost gets all the eyecons, but gramps does a heel turn.

Former is just continuing what seemed to be a trend when I was watching other recent series, latter is a shot in the dark I feel fairly confident about.

Didn't he summon the ghost of Ticket, though? I don't want Ticket to do a heel turn :ohdear:

Gramps turning evil would be a pretty good twist, though. Thinking about it, I think there's a pretty good probability of "Gramps was working for Ganma all along" or "Gramps was instrumental in creating or discovering the Ganma, and feels bad about it", though the latter is maybe too similar to Mr. Belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

deadly_pudding posted:

I finally started catching up on NinNinjer after a few weeks of ignoring it. Episode 31 is pretty fun, but I'm disappointed that they skipped the potential joke of "Nagi has no specialty to steal". I like Machine Kyuubi's design, though. It is straight-up a gundam.

Ninninger has gotten a little better recently, the last few episodes haven't been completely focused on Takaharu and now that Lion Ha-Oh is broken for a while he can't just go super and do everything himself anymore.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
The only problem i had with ghost episode 3 is the horrible wire work while he's floating he was basically dangling on the wires and lightly bumping into the ganma it was awful.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elfgames posted:

The only problem i had with ghost episode 3 is the horrible wire work while he's floating he was basically dangling on the wires and lightly bumping into the ganma it was awful.

Man, I totally forgot about that. That was TERRIBLE.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Some Numbers posted:

Man, I totally forgot about that. That was TERRIBLE.

Yeah... I'd be a lot happier with a passable CGI Ghost, maybe masked a bit with particle effects and poo poo, really whipping around and doing sick action moves in the air. Awkward wire harness Ghost brushing up against the badguy is really not the way to go.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, between the wirework and the daintiest little Rider Kick ever in Episode 1's Omega Drive, there've been some less than badass Ghost moments.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Elfgames posted:

it was funny as hell when the ghost of Cochise cut his wire and he dropped to the ground like a stone.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't mind the floating around so much when he isn't trying to fight at the same time but they didn't even try to make it look like it was harming the monster.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I considered making another long post about why Season 3 sucks and Ryuga is an awful Knight

But frankly I don't need to.

I just need to lay down one simple fact that reveals the sin of Season 3 and Ryuga.

Gouten is not in season 3. Ryuga is not good enough for Gouten. Gouten is the best Garo thing, without question or doubt, and the fact that he NEVER shows up or gets mentioned is inexcusable.

Even the first anime in the first Goddamn episode at least promised Gouten's brethren would show up in the series! In like the first few minutes!

Because he's a giant mecha knight metal horse! WHY WOULD YOU NOT INCLUDE THIS

IN FACT

EDITING THIS IN

Here is the ultimate Is Garo Good Or Bad test!

Does Gouten (Or A Gouten style horse) Appear?

Season 1- Gouten!
First movie- Gouten!
Red Requiem- NOPE SUCKS
Season 2- Gouten!
Third Movie- Gouten!
Season 3- NOPE SUCKS
First Anime- Gouten!
Season 4- Gouten!
Second Anime- NOT YET STILL SUCKS
Fourth Movie- NOPE SUCKS!
Season 5- NOT THAT I'M AWARE OF

Burkion fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 21, 2015

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ninninger has gotten a little better recently, the last few episodes haven't been completely focused on Takaharu and now that Lion Ha-Oh is broken for a while he can't just go super and do everything himself anymore.

And now the Yukio Watch is back as of this week so it's time for things to go downhill again.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Shaezerus posted:

And now the Yukio Watch is back as of this week so it's time for things to go downhill again.

well apparently Nagi gets it next week. So that should be interesting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

Because he's a giant mecha knight metal horse! WHY WOULD YOU NOT INCLUDE THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmTJVew_tY

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

Season 5- NOT THAT I'M AWARE OF

Yes, actually. Only once, and it's not really Gouten but it's pretty close. Still sucks though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yes, actually. Only once, and it's not really Gouten but it's pretty close. Still sucks though.

So I can simplify the qualifer further then

Gouten or No Gouten

Good to know!

....and yeah, while I didn't expect season 5 to get much better, I was hoping it would. Oh well at least I know what to look forward to.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
I mean, Decade is loving delightful. Ryuga and Rian are actually worse characters than you remember in it, though. Of course, this also lends itself to Decade trolling the poo poo out of them, so it almost works in the show's favor? I want your wall of ragetext though, so get to it. :getin:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

I mean, Decade is loving delightful. Ryuga and Rian are actually worse characters than you remember in it, though. Of course, this also lends itself to Decade trolling the poo poo out of them, so it almost works in the show's favor? I want your wall of ragetext though, so get to it. :getin:

Oh Christ how do you get worse than "Your character arc is you're loving useless GG."

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I tried to give season 5 the benefit of the doubt for a long time because I was an apologist who didn't think season 3 ended up being that bad. Even between that + Decade hamming it up, I feel like it completely wasted my time. It's bad. I regret ever having said otherwise.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I downright adored Decade in Goldstorm. I would also not recommend watching Goldstorm under any circumstances.

(But here's another vote for your ragetext, it would be great to read it :allears: )

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My watch through of season 5 will have to wait til I'm done watching season 4 with a friend.

Thank God for that.

On a personal note, anyone who has the torrents of the SD versions of Garo season 2, the Third Movie, and the 8 bit version of the first movie, would you mind seeding? I just now realized I lost my copies due to computer stuff and need to replace them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I watched the first...three or so episodes of Goldstorm? I know Tsukasa had appeared already.

I really couldn't stand it anymore and just stopped. So bad. I have no idea why the hell I bothered with the whole previous series, beyond a weird need to see Garo to the end, hoping that it'd get better. It did not. Thank god Raiga and Leon's series proved me that it wasn't the franchise in general that sucked, just Ryuga.

That said, is there anything that brings Masahiro Inoue to bad toku? Decade, Wizard, Goldstorm...I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the guy and he's consistently the highest point of his series (to the point that I'd go as far as saying that he's the reason that Decade is worth watching plotless mess instead of just a plotless mess, because Tsukasa is goddamn great), but I can't think of a single good series that had him. Does he fully know that the series he joins will be terrible and he tries to bring the best he can to them or something?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
We can finally start recommending Shinkenger as babby's first sentai.

http://over-ti.me/releases/shinkenger-46-49/

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dr Tran posted:

We can finally start recommending Shinkenger as babby's first sentai.

http://over-ti.me/releases/shinkenger-46-49/

Holy poo poo yes

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyoryuger is the better starting Sentai, actually. Its disappointing ending allows for the sheer wonderfulness that is Shinkenger's endgame to be more fully appreciated.

Also, I never have to watch TV-N again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kyoryuger is the better starting Sentai, actually. Its disappointing ending allows for the sheer wonderfulness that is Shinkenger's endgame to be more fully appreciated.

UltraSeven X is still TV-N only sadly...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kyoryuger is just the best Sentai. 10 man team...Ramirez...dancing transformations, a musical movie, and the goddamn theme song being used in-show as The Song of the Earth!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Start with Zyuranger and then move on through the 90s.

90s Sentai best Sentai.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Zyuranger is actually bad though, unless you really like child actors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Zyuranger is actually bad though, unless you really like child actors.

Nah. It's both strong from a thematic perspective and really fun to watch, plus it goes on the road to shows like Kaku, Mega and Car which are all excellent. (I'm not that big on Dai but some people are.) Even Ohranger owns for about 7 episodes before Terrorism happened. You can also step back towards Jetman if you're willing to get some terminal doses of Inoue.

The 90s era of Sentai was almost pure gold. I haven't seen GoGoFive and Fiveman was kinda blah but the rest are kind of great.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 23, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I remember when the opinion on Zyuranger was that it was mediocre based on a few people who understood Japanese.

Then it got subbed and oh, it's actually really good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
have not watched zyuranger but i've read wiki articles and it's amazing just how much poo poo started with that show. It's like sentai didn't gradually evolve into having animal mecha that combine into a person mecha that gets bigger and bigger with more mecha, that it didn't gradually get away from being kind of a spy show with an organization sending out a small elite squad to deal with the current empire of rubber suits.

So many new things at once seem to start with Zyuranger, but that's kinda an outside perspective. Really most things from before Kamen Rider W/Shinkenger I've tried to watch just don't stick and seem so weird that I'm not sure what's happening or where it's going. Dairanger seems nice enough though, I've always liked that second adventure with the monster that steals kids souls and puts them in puppets that hold guns and shoot people and hit people with cars. That's neat. But what's the deal with Kakuranger, who is this old geezer, why are their frames of sound effects written in marker, what the gently caress is going on, what is loving happening even.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hey can one of you nerds seed the shinkenger sds from 36 up

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

deadly_pudding posted:

Didn't he summon the ghost of Ticket, though? I don't want Ticket to do a heel turn :ohdear:

Gramps turning evil would be a pretty good twist, though. Thinking about it, I think there's a pretty good probability of "Gramps was working for Ganma all along" or "Gramps was instrumental in creating or discovering the Ganma, and feels bad about it", though the latter is maybe too similar to Mr. Belt.

Ticket ghost wanted to just watch the girl die to get the toy eyeball, all gramps has loving done is send ghost to get more toy eyeballs and hasn't given any pep talks or anything and has actively evaded giving any reasons for anything. At this point I'll be disappointed if they're playing "eccentric mentor + naive student" straight, because like people have said there's a lot of punch missing from this poo poo otherwise.

Kamen Rider often has some kind of self hatred going on with its collectables since the theme is that they use the power of evil. W they abstract things they wanted kids to buy were actively DRUGS, OOO they were from creatures literally called Greeeeds, Gaim they were from a Hell Forest and used to shift blame from an inevitable end of the world onto innocent bystanders... it would be neat if there was some judgement cast on collecting toy eyeballs too. There has to be something to, this season, the rider seeming to be the same exact thing as a monster of the week.

And so many questions seem to be brought up and begging the viewer to wonder about them (who's bad teeth guy, what's with the monolith, etc) that I doubt they don't intentionally want the sage to at least look sketchy.

Bottom line either sage is an rear end in a top hat or this series sucks.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Acne Rain posted:

Ticket ghost wanted to just watch the girl die to get the toy eyeball, all gramps has loving done is send ghost to get more toy eyeballs and hasn't given any pep talks or anything and has actively evaded giving any reasons for anything. At this point I'll be disappointed if they're playing "eccentric mentor + naive student" straight, because like people have said there's a lot of punch missing from this poo poo otherwise.

Kamen Rider often has some kind of self hatred going on with its collectables since the theme is that they use the power of evil. W they abstract things they wanted kids to buy were actively DRUGS, OOO they were from creatures literally called Greeeeds, Gaim they were from a Hell Forest and used to shift blame from an inevitable end of the world onto innocent bystanders... it would be neat if there was some judgement cast on collecting toy eyeballs too. There has to be something to, this season, the rider seeming to be the same exact thing as a monster of the week.

And so many questions seem to be brought up and begging the viewer to wonder about them (who's bad teeth guy, what's with the monolith, etc) that I doubt they don't intentionally want the sage to at least look sketchy.

Bottom line either sage is an rear end in a top hat or this series sucks.

This is a good and articulate post, and now I hope that's the direction we get, too. I'll still be real sad about Ticket :ohdear:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

Kamen Rider often has some kind of self hatred going on with its collectables since the theme is that they use the power of evil. W they abstract things they wanted kids to buy were actively DRUGS,
No, no. They're only drugs if you SHARE them with your friends. If they all buy their own it's okay! :v:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, I know this is going to get me torn a new rear end in a top hat, but honestly, and it may just be natural favoritism towards the version I experienced Shinkenger with for the first time, but I honestly think TV-N's version of SHINKENGER ENDGAME SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED IT HOLY poo poo Takeru's belief that "he's nothing" holds more emotional power than OT's "He has nothing." It's a subtle but important distinction that I think really goes a long way in selling Takeru basically having a loving death wish that's based primarily in self-loathing. I'm aware that translation is a factor but honestly with OT's penchant for character writing and localization I feel that saying "That's not what they're saying at all TV-N's translation is bullshit" on such a nuanced distinction is not really a compelling argument.

I dunno, maybe TV-N's overly literal dialogue feels like a better fit to me at certain moments because of Shinkenger's love of theatrics (down to having kabuki stagehands as recurring characters).

Like I'm glad we translated attack names and got rid of Takeru going "Truth...my..." at THE pivotal moment of his arc, and of loving course I'm never gonna recommend TV-N to anyone, but poo poo, I just feel like a part of the story TV-N told me there was has been lost, and goddammit I actually liked a small but significant part of that invented story.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Softsubs dude. Softsubs.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

Softsubs dude. Softsubs.
euuuuurrgghhhh :effort:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay, I know this is going to get me torn a new rear end in a top hat, but honestly, and it may just be natural favoritism towards the version I experienced Shinkenger with for the first time, but I honestly think TV-N's version of SHINKENGER ENDGAME SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED IT HOLY poo poo Takeru's belief that "he's nothing" holds more emotional power than OT's "He has nothing." It's a subtle but important distinction that I think really goes a long way in selling Takeru basically having a loving death wish that's based primarily in self-loathing. I'm aware that translation is a factor but honestly with OT's penchant for character writing and localization I feel that saying "That's not what they're saying at all TV-N's translation is bullshit" on such a nuanced distinction is not really a compelling argument.

I dunno, maybe TV-N's overly literal dialogue feels like a better fit to me at certain moments because of Shinkenger's love of theatrics (down to having kabuki stagehands as recurring characters).

Like I'm glad we translated attack names and got rid of Takeru going "Truth...my..." at THE pivotal moment of his arc, and of loving course I'm never gonna recommend TV-N to anyone, but poo poo, I just feel like a part of the story TV-N told me there was has been lost, and goddammit I actually liked a small but significant part of that invented story.

I feel the same way, only about Decade. The way TVN translate's his dialog seems so goony and overly theatrical, it's just perfect for his character.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

astounding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

astounding

What is that about?

It looks like, correct me if I'm wrong, one show did a thing and then another show recycled the effects/footage.

• Locked thread