Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was a few days ago. Now he's just jokingly-vitriolically making GBS threads on some poor guy with English as a second language who doesn't get it and seems pretty upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
And blocking anyone who calls him out on it. Normally if I saw someone doing this I would think they were just trolling twitter followers but, well, it's Dan Harmon.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

random question: i have not seen the clone wars. i know nothing about the clone wars other than that it's a cgi cartoon based between episode ii and episode iii, neither of which i remember the plot to. i like star wars a whole lot.

should i watch the clone wars?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abel Wingnut posted:

random question: i have not seen the clone wars. i know nothing about the clone wars other than that it's a cgi cartoon based between episode ii and episode iii, neither of which i remember the plot to. i like star wars a whole lot.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: still yes, but if the episode features R2 or Threepio as the main characters don't bother, just skip it. Also some of the best episodes are about Galactic Senate drama. No, really.

Also it doesn't matter if you don't really remember the plot of eps II or III, basically all you need to know is that the Jedi have an army of clones that aren't storm troopers (yet).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 21, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Abel Wingnut posted:

There are two Clone Wars.

There's the short, traditionally animated, Tartakovsky version that came out in between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The first batch of episodes are short, action heavy vignettes focusing on the war, with the last few being a longer, story-driven leadup to Episode III. It's really good, if you like that sort of thing.

There's the longer CGI series from 2008 onwards, which is a lot more uneven but is pretty fun overall.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also Star Wars Rebels is overall pretty good, there's the occasional terrible episode and some of the characters aren't very compelling but there's a few things they get right like Vader kicking the poo poo out of goatee Jedi and Aladdin Ezra.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's the short, traditionally animated, Tartakovsky version that came out in between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The first batch of episodes are short, action heavy vignettes focusing on the war, with the last few being a longer, story-driven leadup to Episode III. It's really good, if you like that sort of thing.

If you've seen Samurai Jack, it's the same guy behind it and the same style. Looked really odd to me until I pulled up some videos from that show and figured out what he was doing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Turns out the first Clone Wars is up on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__EdPiU0No

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Man comic book shows should just avoid certain drama tropes/staples because drat if the family theme in The Flash tonight was laughable. Bringing up parental abuse left and right like it's nothing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm a couple days late on this, but the latest "present-day" part of Sunday's Quantico episode didn't do any favours for Alex.

Okay, so the twist of wire she found in the secret room next to her apartment was made by Shelby's company, but I don't think that's the smoking gun that Alex seems to think it is. If that company makes wire, that implies that said wire leaves the company and goes elsewhere, either in pure wire form, or as part of another product. But no, clearly the only explanation must be that Shelby is behind the bombing. Maybe there's more to the story in "the past" which explains why Alex would jump to that conclusion, but right now it's dubious.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm a couple days late on this, but the latest "present-day" part of Sunday's Quantico episode didn't do any favours for Alex.

Okay, so the twist of wire she found in the secret room next to her apartment was made by Shelby's company, but I don't think that's the smoking gun that Alex seems to think it is. If that company makes wire, that implies that said wire leaves the company and goes elsewhere, either in pure wire form, or as part of another product. But no, clearly the only explanation must be that Shelby is behind the bombing. Maybe there's more to the story in "the past" which explains why Alex would jump to that conclusion, but right now it's dubious.
I was just about to post that I just watched it and this show is still loving garbage. Guess I'll read up on what happened when the season finishes.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This is sadly pretty much TV logic. Its bad and terrible, but so are TV writers. And Quantico, holy gently caress is Quantico terrible.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sober posted:

Man comic book shows should just avoid certain drama tropes/staples because drat if the family theme in The Flash tonight was laughable. Bringing up parental abuse left and right like it's nothing.

I really like the Flash but it's been "Daddy issues: the show" from word one, so it feels weird to complain about it now. Then again I didn't catch tonight's episode so maybe they hit a new low.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I really like the Flash but it's been "Daddy issues: the show" from word one, so it feels weird to complain about it now. Then again I didn't catch tonight's episode so maybe they hit a new low.

They included parental abuse for fleshing out the back story for the Snarts. I didn't think it was overdone, but I also didn't really ever read Flash. And I love me some Snart.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Despite having no interest in Star Wars, I found REBELS surprisingly enjoyable. It has limitations sure, but on the whole it sort of made me think that you know, with the right people working in it this is a pretty rich world to mine. I know it's easy to poo poo on the prequels, but literally everything that show has done has eclipsed those movies.

I kind of just wish that one of these Star Wars properties would now just move away from the same time period and do something else.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DrVenkman posted:

I kind of just wish that one of these Star Wars properties would now just move away from the same time period and do something else.

I hear there's some indie flick coming out this year that's doing this...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Coffeehitler posted:

They included parental abuse for fleshing out the back story for the Snarts. I didn't think it was overdone, but I also didn't really ever read Flash. And I love me some Snart.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but that is well-established in the comics. Flash #182 (from the previous series) is written by co-showrunner Geoff Johns, whose Flash comics are the largest influence on the show. It's a retelling of Captain Cold's origin, including (and possibly introducing?) the abuse, making him a somewhat more relatable and sympathetic character.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

If the Legends of Tomorrow trailer is to be believed, Snart will be doing a face turn. It's probably setup for that.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I couldn't find a Manhattan thread. Are anyone watching it?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Per posted:

I couldn't find a Manhattan thread. Are anyone watching it?
It's really good. Which is nice, because the ending of last season ran into some pacing issues.

Dunno how they'll keep things going, but it's worth watching right now.

And I can't admit to watching Quantico while discouraging people from watching Manhattan.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just finished watching the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend premiere with my wife. We both like musicals a lot, but she loved Glee, which I generally hated. The premiere was really charming, and watching Rebecca Bloom in it was seeing a star being born. Her character is quite disturbed and just barely keeping it together, but also sympathetic and very likable. She does a lot of great acting with her facial expressions and has a terrific voice. I was impressed that she co-wrote and created the show, too. There is a really dark streak underneath the rom-com setting, and the show balanced those elements very well.

If anyone has any doubts (and I get that it isn't the typical kind of show that would appeal to the TV IV crowd), see if you can find the clip online of one of the musical numbers, "The Sexy Getting Ready Song." It reminded us of a much more polished bit from Inside Amy Schumer, and it would have gone viral for sure if it had been on Amy's show and not this new, unknown one.

Yo all of this is correct and more people should seek it out. Strongest pilot of the season to date (narrowly beating Scream Queens). Really wish they would have tried harder when naming the show as it's almost certainly doomed it to be a one-and-done. The lead in particular is absolute dynamite and I can't believe I haven't heard of them before now.

:sax: rear end Blood :sax:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yahoo, the company that can't do anything right, lost $42 million in it's video division last quarter and the CEO specifically mentioned Community and the two original shows as the reason why.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stop giving Dan Harmon money, everyone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zoux posted:

Yahoo, the company that can't do anything right, lost $42 million in it's video division last quarter and the CEO specifically mentioned Community and the two original shows as the reason why.

Not really sure what they were expecting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

Nah, give him money. The shows he makes are fun and good even if the man behind them has... his moments.

I'm more sad that Other Space is probably never seeing production ever again though, it was a charming little indie production that couldn't have existed more than a few years ago, and now feels like it probably shouldn't have existed at all. But it was a good attempt at a low budget first season and I had a lot of hope for its return, but I guess that's over.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Not really sure what they were expecting.

Giving people an incentive to continue using your (extremely lovely) service once they've finished with your limited offerings actually important.

Who knew?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Correct.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nah, give him money. The shows he makes are fun and good even if the man behind them has... his moments.

I'm more sad that Other Space is probably never seeing production ever again though, it was a charming little indie production that couldn't have existed more than a few years ago, and now feels like it probably shouldn't have existed at all. But it was a good attempt at a low budget first season and I had a lot of hope for its return, but I guess that's over.
Even my love for Milana couldn't get me through 2 episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At this point it honestly kind of baffles me that there was a time when I thought Community was one of the best sitcoms in years. We'll always have seasons 1 and 2...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wasn't sold on Other Space at first but as I got towards the end I realized I was really into it and disappointed to realize it was over.

Neither it nor Community season six should have existed in the first place but I'm grateful that Yahoo! decided to throw money down the drain so they could be made.

Five years from now when we're all paying $40 a month each for Hulu, Neflix and the Comcast equivalent that's mandatory with all their internet plans and all the new shows are incredibly specifically viewer-matrixed to death and yet somehow thematic carbon copies of each other we'll look back wistfully at this, the age of Peak TVŠ.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I find it hard to believe that all the market research by Netflix resulted in House of Cards. Do people want to see something so boring? It started out interesting when they said David Fincher was directing with a huge budget but I doubt he's even thought about the show after taking the money.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Five years from now when we're all paying $40 a month each for Hulu, Neflix and the Comcast equivalent that's mandatory with all their internet plans and all the new shows are incredibly specifically viewer-matrixed to death and yet somehow thematic carbon copies of each other we'll look back wistfully at this, the age of Peak TVŠ.

Did you catch NCIS Kansas City? It's not as good as NCIS Salt Lake City.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd less blame Community and more the fact that Yahoo's player was hosed and a lot of the time wouldn't even serve ads.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

It's obvious Yahoo didn't have any strategy here other than thinking making TV shows would magically lead to profit.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hcreight posted:

It's obvious Yahoo didn't have any strategy here other than thinking making TV shows would magically lead to profit.

They were also doing some next-level DNS blocking poo poo, I couldn't watch ANY of their content from Canada which lead me to pirate the entire season of community they financed. I didn't even watch the last half of it, it just sort of lost the desire. On the flipside Hulu doesn't even try to geofence me the same way Yahoo did and I gladly pay $8.99/mo or whatever it is they ask for.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

Did you catch NCIS Kansas City? It's not as good as NCIS Salt Lake City.

I hear FOX is making a TV show based on Jumper. I hope it doesn't get cancelled after four episodes like I Am Legend did!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rarity posted:

I hear FOX is making a TV show based on Jumper. I hope it doesn't get cancelled after four episodes like I Am Legend did!

No love for Once Upon A Time featuring the emotions from Inside Out this season? Disney thinks it'll be huge!

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 21, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hcreight posted:

The Marissa Mayer GambitTM

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Turns out the first Clone Wars is up on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__EdPiU0No

Well that was the coolest Star Wars related thing I've seen in 2 decades. Is there more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shageletic posted:

Well that was the coolest Star Wars related thing I've seen in 2 decades. Is there more?

Yes, but after the first one Lucasfilms realized people liked it they stepped in to micromanage everything, so it got real bad

• Locked thread