Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Taking people's word on their abilities is indicative of bad hiring process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I

jassi007 posted:

i was doing what my boss told me to. However I think from an employers perspective at some point if you've actually tried to work with someone to do the job you require of them, and they can't do it, you shouldn't be penalized for dismissing them. If you come to me and tell me you can do the job I describe and it turns out you can't, free money and a monetary penalty to the employer seems like the wrong outcome. The person in question basically did the equivalent of cramming the night before a test to say the right things in the interview, but turns out he didn't know the things he claimed to know, and also didn't/couldn't/wouldn't learn then when we tried to work with him.

It's not free money and usually is not a penalty to the employer. For Small employers yes but it's a minimal outlay. For big employers there is no difference.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also if you had just hired the guy his last employer is paying in.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

euphronius posted:

I

It's not free money and usually is not a penalty to the employer. For Small employers yes but it's a minimal outlay. For big employers there is no difference.

It was a small business. I certainly had no business being at a UC hearing, but since we didn't have an actual HR dept. and I was the manager of the department the guy was in, I got voluntold to go. My general impression of the experience was that for the most part unless he did some egregious he was going to get unemployment. My employer preferred to avoid paying whatever cost there is to someone drawing unemployment, especially for someone who couldn't do the job he said he could. I don't think that is a crazy position to take.

euphronius posted:

Also if you had just hired the guy his last employer is paying in.

It was 7 or 8 years ago but I do think he was with us for 8 or 10 weeks. Basically I didn't expect anyone to be useful in the first month on the job, but I expected them to be 75% functional by the end of the second month. He failed to get there, despite giving him an additional month of training.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 18, 2015

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I must not be understanding how US law works.

Over here dismissal is either:

a) with cause (ie: criminal activity or negligence) -> employer doesn't pay anything.

b) without cause -> employer must indemnify the employee (I don't do labour law but I think it's something like a year's wages taking the best monthly wage as a base).

"Collecting unemployment" means that the State is paying you money because you don't have a job + your net worth is below whatever threshold.

Would "unemployment" in PA be something like option b)?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I must not be understanding how US law works.

Over here dismissal is either:

a) with cause (ie: criminal activity or negligence) -> employer doesn't pay anything.

b) without cause -> employer must indemnify the employee (I don't do labour law but I think it's something like a year's wages taking the best monthly wage as a base).

"Collecting unemployment" means that the State is paying you money because you don't have a job + your net worth is below whatever threshold.

Would "unemployment" in PA be something like option b)?

Read the pamphlet I linked. It explained what "with cause" means in Pennsylvania. A dude trying his hardest but not being able to do the job does not quality as dismissal with cause.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
I live in a mother-in-law/secondary suite apartment (my living quarters is attached to the main house, but I have separate bathroom, entrance, kitchen, etc). My landlord (who occupies the main house) has pretty much stopped cleaning her side at this point. As a result, I've had to endure an infestation of fruit flies for the past 6 months or so.

Back in June, she went out of town (after not having washed dishes for over 2 months or taking out trash for a longer, indeterminate period of time) and out of frustration, I went to her side and cleaned and threw out trash. I cannot express how horrific it was on her side. After some aggressive efforts on my part, the fruit fly infestation was largely halted, but because she's a pig, it's slowly, but surely come back because she has not washed a single dish in the months since. I've tried talking to her about the issue numerous times, I've heard promises to clean, excuses such as I need dishwasher soap made, etc., but the sty still remains.

What legal rights do I have to force her to maintain some semblance of basic cleanliness? Can I withhold rent (do I need to provide notice of my intent to do so)? Should I contact her mother (as the mother is involved)? I'm in Columbia, MO. Unfortunately, breaking my lease and moving out isn't an option as I'm trying to finish my doctorate and get out of this shithole town.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Your best bet though is to break the lease and move out. "Forcing" your landlord to clean her side of the house, which is probably very difficult to actually do, will likely result in her taking some form of revenge on you, and she'll get away with it.

Have you talked to her about it? Maybe she thinks you're the flymonger, so she decided cleaning isn't worth it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No matter what you do the problem will keep coming back. Your landlord has a problem, one that needs to be fixed with therapy and counseling and who knows what else. Maybe you can get the courts to issue some sort of order requiring her to clean up? And then you can go ask them again a month later, and a month after that, and forever and ever as she keeps relapsing. More likely is that your apartment will be declared unfit and she'll have to stop renting it, including to you, until she fixes the problem, which she won't, ever.

It sucks, but if it's a mother-in-law apartment as you describe, it's probably not all that big, which means with the help of a friend or two, it shouldn't take more than a day or so to move somewhere else. The issues you describe are almost certainly sufficient cause to break the lease without penalty. Can't hurt to ask, anyhow. "The hoard of garbage in your home is leading to a chronic infestation of pests in mine and making it uninhabitable. Unless it's dealt with in a continuing fashion, I'll be forced to find somewhere else to live."

Sucks, but it's probably either that or learn to live with the pests.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Your best bet though is to break the lease and move out. "Forcing" your landlord to clean her side of the house, which is probably very difficult to actually do, will likely result in her taking some form of revenge on you, and she'll get away with it.

Have you talked to her about it? Maybe she thinks you're the flymonger, so she decided cleaning isn't worth it.

Yeah, we've talked about it and it's very clearly known whose side is clean and whose isn't (aside from needing to vacuum my couch, my apartment is pretty drat clean ATM). My trash is taken out every trash day (it's sitting on the curb right now, in fact) and I don't go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink. I'm by no means a neat freak (at least by the immaculate standards I was raised by), but generally I'm complimented on how clean my home is by visitors. There's generally no lasting food sources for the flies on my side, but that doesn't stop them from investigating.

Bad Munki posted:

No matter what you do the problem will keep coming back. Your landlord has a problem, one that needs to be fixed with therapy and counseling and who knows what else. Maybe you can get the courts to issue some sort of order requiring her to clean up? And then you can go ask them again a month later, and a month after that, and forever and ever as she keeps relapsing. More likely is that your apartment will be declared unfit and she'll have to stop renting it, including to you, until she fixes the problem, which she won't, ever.

It sucks, but if it's a mother-in-law apartment as you describe, it's probably not all that big, which means with the help of a friend or two, it shouldn't take more than a day or so to move somewhere else. The issues you describe are almost certainly sufficient cause to break the lease without penalty. Can't hurt to ask, anyhow. "The hoard of garbage in your home is leading to a chronic infestation of pests in mine and making it uninhabitable. Unless it's dealt with in a continuing fashion, I'll be forced to find somewhere else to live."

Sucks, but it's probably either that or learn to live with the pests.

Yeah, I'm aware she needs therapy (the cleaning being the least of her issues), I've discussed that with her. But she hasn't sought help and given her age (25), I'm tempted to reach out to her parents.

The big problems I have with relocating are: 1) the upfront costs (security and pet deposits, truck rental, etc.), 2) my imminent departure (I'm hoping to move out of the state within a few months), and 3) having two cats (most places in town allow only one). Finding a place that will allow a short-term (less than 6 months) or month-to-month lease in this town is next to impossible unless I want to pay 2-3x what I'm currently paying (which on a graduate stipend I cannot).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I guess then the answer is to become Ant Man but with fruit flies.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

This will sound harsh, but I'm sorry.

Your problem doesn't have a legal solution. Even if you get some relief from the courts, it's not going to force her to clean or keep things clean.

So maybe you get money? She's 100% going to evict you at that point. She'll find a reason. Assume you win everything, and you get a judgment for $10,000. And assume her real property can be collected against, so you actually get your money. That process took at a minimum a year, so you've been living next to Flybarella this whole time, who hates you because you've sued her.

Your problem isn't a legal one really.

Your problem is you're too poor to move and get help. It sucks.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I won in small claims :toot: Now I get to sit tight and wait to find out if the judgement debtor chooses to appeal, pays up, or if I get to file liens and attempt an assignment order.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I won in small claims :toot: Now I get to sit tight and wait to find out if the judgement debtor chooses to appeal, pays up, or if I get to file liens and attempt an assignment order.

You default them?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You default them?

Hot Dog Day, I love that you are your own stereotype :allears:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Last week I got pulled over for speeding by the state highway patrol. Fair enough, I wasn't going that fast for the usual flow of traffic on that parkway, but I hadn't noticed the limit had dropped from 65 to 55, and it was early morning so I stood out a lot more. Ah well, sucks for me.

In the last week I've received letters from five different lawyers offering to represent me in traffic court. I don't need one (and I would of course turn to blarzgh first if I did), but I was surprised—the last time I got a speeding ticket a few years ago, I didn't get poo poo from lawyers. Is it because the state highway patrol pulled me over, as opposed to city cops on a local street? I'm just curious why such a difference in response.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Hot Dog Day, I love that you are your own stereotype :allears:

I don't understand the message.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You default them?

Nope

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I don't understand the message.

Avatar post combo, basically- it made you sound eager to see someone bankrupted and harmed, even via small claims.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Avatar post combo, basically- it made you sound eager to see someone bankrupted and harmed, even via small claims.

Oh, I'm not only eager, I'm turned on.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I got rear ended on the freeway last night, ambulance checked me out and said I'd just be sore. Back and neck really hurt today, does the fact that I didn't immediately go to the hospital really hurt things

I am at the ER right now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

I got rear ended on the freeway last night, ambulance checked me out and said I'd just be sore. Back and neck really hurt today, does the fact that I didn't immediately go to the hospital really hurt things

I am at the ER right now

Please call a lawyer.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

Please call a lawyer.

Pfft soft tissue who cares.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

Please call a lawyer.

I'm sure one followed his ambulance in.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The way I read it the first time, I thought he'd been rear-ended by an ambulance. Which would be kinda convenient in a way, especially if they were transporting a lawyer.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Pfft soft tissue who cares.

Don't wait call 8.

Ed: not me, Celino and Barnes reference. If you are in ca I can get you in touch with someone.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

effervescible posted:

Last week I got pulled over for speeding by the state highway patrol. Fair enough, I wasn't going that fast for the usual flow of traffic on that parkway, but I hadn't noticed the limit had dropped from 65 to 55, and it was early morning so I stood out a lot more. Ah well, sucks for me.

In the last week I've received letters from five different lawyers offering to represent me in traffic court. I don't need one (and I would of course turn to blarzgh first if I did), but I was surprised—the last time I got a speeding ticket a few years ago, I didn't get poo poo from lawyers. Is it because the state highway patrol pulled me over, as opposed to city cops on a local street? I'm just curious why such a difference in response.

Aww, thanks!

It's probably a combination of it being SHP, the fact that many Jurisdictions are slowly going online with everything making it more cost effective for lawyers to troll the Ticket lists and send mailers( they don't have to send runners and make copies and stuff) and also the market over the last 5 years has been inundated with low-rent, solos who are looking for any way to make a dollar because they can't find a job because they didn't listen to us.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

blarzgh posted:

Aww, thanks!

It's probably a combination of it being SHP, the fact that many Jurisdictions are slowly going online with everything making it more cost effective for lawyers to troll the Ticket lists and send mailers( they don't have to send runners and make copies and stuff) and also the market over the last 5 years has been inundated with low-rent, solos who are looking for any way to make a dollar because they can't find a job because they didn't listen to us.

That explains it. Thanks! Hopefully I won't have the opportunity to learn what happens in response to future tickets. I'll definitely go slower when I'm one of the only ones on the road.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sadly soliciting clients in emergency rooms is unethical.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

euphronius posted:

Sadly soliciting clients in emergency rooms is unethical.

What if I do it happily, though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's a breach of decorum.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This might be a dumb question. I got my first speeding ticket, I was going 72 in a 45, but the cop gave me a break and recorded it as 62. I put in a not guilty plea and have a court date in a few months. Is there any chance my actual speed will come up if I don't mention it and say it was 62? Again, sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just very anxious about this.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Coffee And Pie posted:

This might be a dumb question. I got my first speeding ticket, I was going 72 in a 45, but the cop gave me a break and recorded it as 62. I put in a not guilty plea and have a court date in a few months. Is there any chance my actual speed will come up if I don't mention it and say it was 62? Again, sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just very anxious about this.

Emailing this post to the clerk.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Why did you plead not guilty

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Filboid Studge posted:

Why did you plead not guilty

Duh because he was going 72 not 62.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yes, the officer will be there to say that you were going 72. You're going to look really dumb.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Andy Dufresne posted:

Yes, the officer will be there to say that you were going 72. You're going to look really dumb.

Moreover the cop is going to be a little pissed off at you because he gave you a break and you threw it back.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, and this is the real elephant in the room: why in the gently caress were you doing 72 in a 45? I speed a decent amount when I'm driving, but near enough to 30 mph over the limit on anything but a limited access highway is really goddamn dumb and you're not going to get out of it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Coffee And Pie posted:

72 in a 45 might be much worse than 62 in a 45. Some places have laws where, say, 25 over the limit is something like reckless driving in addition to the speeding ticket itself. Worst case, the cop tells them the truth and you go to actual jail. Consider your options carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also good luck ever getting a break on a speeding ticket again. :allears: