Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

As with any episode featuring Captain Cold it was good, but I found it odd that Barry decided to lock up Snart for killing a bad guy (and arguably a much worse bad guy than the last two) when he's done the same thing the last two weeks.

Louis Snart was essentially a defenseless old man with cotton in his mouth. That is a little different from from killing Sandstorm while trying to rescue a hostage. I have no excuse for Atom Smasher though, that was straight up cold blooded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wells getting his terminator on.

Your speed, give it to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wentworth Miller is awesome, just go back and watch last season when he rocks that "scarlet speedster" line. I probably smiled for half an hour after I heard that.

But seriously, nothing will top Joe's "Oh hell no." from tonight's episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think any of the three episodes so far have quite established the general quality of season 1 yet, but it gave us undercover Barry so I can't be too mad.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Louis Snart was essentially a defenseless old man with cotton in his mouth. That is a little different from from killing Sandstorm while trying to rescue a hostage. I have no excuse for Atom Smasher though, that was straight up cold blooded.

Once Cold loses his gun, his abilities are gone. He can be jailed (although he's gonna break out, obviously). Can't really stop a sand guy or a giant guy by holding em in an accelerator. Still, kinda hoping there's a throwaway line in a week or two about a big tank of sand demon dust or that Atom Smasher is still in his coma :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Why are they moving Snart to Metahuman Jail, anyway?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bruceski posted:

Why are they moving Snart to Metahuman Jail, anyway?

Cause he knows how to pull off a... prison break :smug:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Just watched the episode: God drat Jesse L Martin is a pretty good actor and I couldn't help but laugh at the big "Iris, yer mom... I'm sorry :cry:" and right as you're meant to feel the weight of the forgiveness -BAM- flash stinger and off to commercial. :v: I mean, I know you only have so much time per episode but goooood drat trim a 2-3 seconds of mellow drama out of Glider's Daddy Issues or something hah.

And thus far i'm digging what they're doing w/ Cisco this season.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wells getting his terminator on.

Hah exactly my first thought as well.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Enjoyed the episode, but

Why did Snart not just freeze his dad anyway?
So they stabilsed the portal to another world, then just left it there?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr Beens posted:

Enjoyed the episode, but

Why did Snart not just freeze his dad anyway?
So they stabilsed the portal to another world, then just left it there?

1) We would have to assume he has some sort of a dead man's switch on that bomb if he didn't send it a signal every so often or something.
2) They are wasteful millenials

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
My guess is that Wells will be the Wells-skin-covered-Eobard from Earth 3, who managed to beat his flash and return to the future where he's lauded as a hero (etc etc). Fingers crossed.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I really hope that Earth 2 Wells isn't Zoom

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I assume this Wells is pissed because this other Earth is using his as a trash can. A portal to another dimension opens up and first contact for him and his team is a used soda can.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Pretty sure first thing through the portal was Caitlin's purse.

Wells is just trying to return her wallet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There was a scene cut where Barry convinced Iris to meet her mom. It's weird because they reference it later in dialogue. And released a screen cap of the scene earlier.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Grem posted:

Pretty sure first thing through the portal was Caitlin's purse.

Wells is just trying to return her wallet.
Is that what that was? I couldn't tell. Kind of a dick move by Prof. Stein.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So we're back to Wells stingers again? I approve.

Also I wasn't expecting a Snart episode until I saw the episode name. Was a nice surprise, and it was a pretty good episode too I thought. I loved Barry just brute-forcing the code at super speed. He did some pretty great speedster stuff

Exploding heads seems a bit more extreme than this show usually gets. I mean, yeah, Plastique blew up, but an actual conventional bomb in the head to coerce people just seems a bit more nasty I suppose. I guess they're trying to make it slightly more serious? Just as long as they don't go overboard and go all grim about things. Maybe hold back on icing quite so many of the villains?

McDragon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 21, 2015

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

So we're back to Wells stingers again? I approve.

Also I wasn't expecting a Snart episode until I saw the episode name. Was a nice surprise, and it was a pretty good episode too I thought. I loved Barry just brute-forcing the code at super speed. He did some pretty great speedster stuff

Exploding heads seems a bit more extreme than this show usually gets. I mean, yeah, Plastique blew up, but an actual conventional bomb in the head to coerce people just seems a bit more nasty I suppose. I guess they're trying to make it slightly more serious? Just as long as they don't go overboard and go all grim about things. Maybe hold back on icing quite so many of the villains?

I'm 90% sure it was just a convoluted Scanners reference.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Hazo posted:

Is that what that was? I couldn't tell. Kind of a dick move by Prof. Stein.

I thought it was his health monitor thing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Rarity posted:

Cause he knows how to pull off a... prison break :smug:

I hope this whole season of Flash is a Prison Break prequel

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My only issue with Wells showing up is we're going to get a repeat of the "don't trust him!" stuff we got with Jay, only 2 episodes later. Though it could go either way,

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Mr Beens posted:

I really hope that Earth 2 Wells isn't Zoom

Doubtful, if I had to guess Zoom is actually Patty, she was introduced knowing a little too much about Barry.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

As with any episode featuring Captain Cold it was good, but I found it odd that Barry decided to lock up Snart for killing a bad guy (and arguably a much worse bad guy than the last two) when he's done the same thing the last two weeks.

It was a human killing another human, where as Barry is a meta killing other Metas. Totally different!!!!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

My only issue with Wells showing up is we're going to get a repeat of the "don't trust him!" stuff we got with Jay, only 2 episodes later. Though it could go either way,

Well if you're interested in knowing a recent interview said that Barry trusts Wells pretty much right off the bat since he's sure it's not Thawne. In fact it made a point to say he trusted Wells much quicker than Jay. The same interview also mentions that Cavanagh decided to play Earth 2 Wells as a complete douchebag, since you know he's from Earth 2 and all.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Bruceski posted:

Is Hoyt a common street name? Snart was at 5th and Hoyt and that's Union Station here in Portland.

Also when they show the city before the late scene in Jitters its a sky shot of Portland. And not like a "I've lived here my whole life so I recognize it" shot its like a postcard of Portland. It must have been an inside joke or something.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

McDragon posted:

I think it was just to emphasize just how awful Pappy Cold is. That he is way more vicious than Lisa or Leonard, and not the kind of villain that can be bargained with.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Can any scientifically inclined goons clear up what Jay was trying to do with hard water and what kind of benefits it'd have? Just curious. Also, I'm disappointed Earth-2 Wells doesn't have a goatee.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Didn't he say he was removing radiation from the water? Hard water is used to cool nuclear reactors, so it could be a way to clean nuclear waste. Maybe his Earth is a hellish post-nuclear hellhole (aside from what we saw of Central City Earth-2) or they use a lot of nuclear reactors.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fragmented posted:

Also when they show the city before the late scene in Jitters its a sky shot of Portland. And not like a "I've lived here my whole life so I recognize it" shot its like a postcard of Portland. It must have been an inside joke or something.

Yeah, the fact that Central City from the air is Portland (from street level, of course, it's Vancouver) is the reason it pinged for me enough to actually ask. Other than that it was just a feeling like listening to crowd noise and hearing your name mentioned, since they usually stick to generic names.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Didn't he say he was removing radiation from the water? Hard water is used to cool nuclear reactors, so it could be a way to clean nuclear waste. Maybe his Earth is a hellish post-nuclear hellhole (aside from what we saw of Central City Earth-2) or they use a lot of nuclear reactors.

He also mentioned some kind of war in his earlier dialogues, like a WW2 parallel but he called it something else. Maybe it was a nuclear war or something.

edit: "War of the Americas"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, it's incredible how great the Barry/Patty chemistry is. If the writers gently caress it up I will be very, very mad.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has there ever been a female speedster?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Jesse Quick
One third of Kapitalist Kouriers.
Edit: + Lady Flash

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 22, 2015

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

greatn posted:

There was a scene cut where Barry convinced Iris to meet her mom. It's weird because they reference it later in dialogue. And released a screen cap of the scene earlier.

Yeah Grant apologized on twitter because the fans were disappointed. It seems like mostly Iris scenes get cut. The biggest problem with her character is that they don't give her anything to do and when they do it gets cut. She needs some pov, motivation etc.

Iris lost her fiance and we get nothing, but Caitlin gets an episode dedicated to Ronnie dying.. Again.

We learn all about the Smart family, when Francine shows up they could've had Iris involved as way to encourage her to see her mom or something, but their meeting happens off screen.

Going by social media people really seem to like or want to like Iris, (#DoYouHaveADaughterJoe, #IrisWestForSeason2, Iris taking 3rd in an E!Online out of TVs most popular female characters out of like 50 nominations) but the writers just don't seem to know what to do with her or just don't care. She's really not that bad of a character and with a little tweaking could even be a great one, It's frustrating.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I have to say it was kind of satisfying to see someone awkward all over the lead instead of the usual other way around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Jesse Quick
One third of Kapitalist Kouriers.
Edit: + Lady Flash

In addition

XS
Impulse 2
Dawn Allen (one half of the Tornado Twins)
Wally's daughter from Kingdom Come.
And I think the first Russian speedster trio had a woman as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

In addition

XS
Impulse 2
Dawn Allen (one half of the Tornado Twins)
Wally's daughter from Kingdom Come.
And I think the first Russian speedster trio had a woman as well.

Yea that was the kouriers and lady flash

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Justice League 3000/3001 has a female Flash, also. Last issue of that comic was actually a pretty nice one-off about her on an adventure with Mirror Master.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh dang that is a lot actually. I just remember the 3 Flash's from the Justice League cartoon being young guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Koalas March posted:

The writers just don't seem to know what to do with her or just don't care. She's really not that bad of a character and with a little tweaking could even be a great one, It's frustrating.

At the start of this week's episode she was in straight up Lois Lane mode, and that worked well for her.

• Locked thread