Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

stop hating on archaic weapons

The saber isn't at fault here, it's the guy thinking it was worth the training time after the invention of the machine gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
and that guy is 110% right

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Imagine how silly you would look chopping up those machine gun dudes with an old saber.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ensign Expendable posted:

Imagine how silly you would look chopping up those machine gun dudes with an old saber.

from whose perspective? im pretty sure being sliced open or run through with a sword does not feel all that silly when it happens.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Imagine how sillyCOOL you would look chopping up those machine gun dudes with an old saber.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

from whose perspective? im pretty sure being sliced open or run through with a sword does not feel all that silly when it happens.
i remember reading an account from some german dude on the eastern front who was in his unit's rear with the baggage train when it caught a bunch of russian cavalry: he says he sat against a wagon quite calmly and the last thing that went through his head before he got sabered in the neck was a gently baffled "I can't believe this is happening in the 20th century."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I was making a joke about the embarrassment of being seen with an unfashionable saber, but I guess it fell flat. Chopping people never goes out of style, but my guys usually do it with a sapper's spade.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I was making a joke about the embarrassment of being seen with an unfashionable saber
oh! that simply will not do, i'm sorry for the misunderstanding :wotwot:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

i remember reading an account from some german dude on the eastern front who was in his unit's rear with the baggage train when it caught a bunch of russian cavalry: he says he sat against a wagon quite calmly and the last thing that went through his head before he got sabered in the neck was a gently baffled "I can't believe this is happening in the 20th century."

If the Russian had been using one of Patton's modern sabers for a modern war maybe your German wouldn't have survived to write that account. :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"You shoulda rolled into battle with a sword, Brad. That woulda fuckin' rocked."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I was making a joke about the embarrassment of being seen with an unfashionable saber, but I guess it fell flat. Chopping people never goes out of style, but my guys usually do it with a sapper's spade.

See, that's just it. A spade can chop a dude, and can dig a trench, or a latrine. Whereas a slick piece of hanzo steel can just do the first thing. So much more efficient to make sure everyone gets a shovel than to design a separate implement. And cavalry would still look pretty cool wielding special cavalry spades into combat.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
a Swedish Feather makes an excellent candleholder because of the spike on the bottom

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

They work pretty well in subjugating an indigenous population though..

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Hazzard posted:

This probably belongs in a Photography History thread instead of a Military History thread, but how did they get those WW1 photos? I thought early cameras needed you to stand still for hours to get the picture?

I've taken a Photo History class. Mathew Brady's kit had exposure times of several seconds during the American Civil War; by 1914 photography was pretty much the same state as it was in 1985, what with the introduction of gelatin-silver film ~1880. Photographers during the Great War captured images of (rather blurred) artillery shells in the air.

I finally emailed Dad with HEY GAL's plea of recording his war stories for future historians, if nothing else. Also asked if he knows which nuke his oldest brother walked toward -- prompted by InediblePenguin asking "so was your uncle in Tumbler-Snapper Dog in '52, or Upshot-Knothole Encore in '53?"

Dad claimed to have forgot all his war stories last time I asked him to retell them for y'all, and I'm pretty sure his brother's (SF MAJ) exploits in Laos and Cambodia while Dad was in Vietnam will never be declassified, what with the technically-war-crimes and all.

(said uncle died of cancer when I was a wee baby, if he was still around I'd ask him directly)

FAUXTON posted:

So that's how Patton, a man who decided a new cavalry saber design was appropriate in the year of our lord nineteen hundred and thirteen, ended up in Europe.
Re: Cavalry in WWI: yeah, that was a thing that happened. 2LT-at-the-time Patton invented the lastest bestest cavalry sword while he was at West Point.

(Patton was a loving nutjob, but he knew heavy cavalry tactics and went on to beat Rommel at his own game.)

(That game being Panzer Blitzkrieg)

sullat posted:

See, that's just it. A spade can chop a dude, and can dig a trench, or a latrine. Whereas a slick piece of hanzo steel can just do the first thing. So much more efficient to make sure everyone gets a shovel than to design a separate implement. And cavalry would still look pretty cool wielding special cavalry spades into combat.
These days, bayonets are just an excuse to issue every soldier a half-decent knife.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 21, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Delivery McGee posted:

Re: Cavalry in WWI: yeah, that was a thing that happened. 2LT-at-the-time Patton invented the lastest bestest cavalry sword while he was at West Point.
that looks like good sword ideas, to me. huh

quote:

(Patton was a loving nutjob, but he knew heavy cavalry tactics and went on to beat Rommel at his own game.)

(That game being Panzer Blitzkrieg)
who was the craziest general who was still good at war

patton
wallenstein
stonewall jackson
that dude from the american civil war who thought he was made of glass
anyone else?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

Interesting that he also favoured a straight cavalry sword. Swedes had those too in the 30 Years War and later. What are the differencies between curved and straight swords? I'd think that a curved sword would be better in a cavalry charge even if it wasn't as lethal, because it wouldn't get stuck so easily.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I wouldn't harp on Patton's WWI sword considering that stupider things were done by many other people a year later, and that Italians and Soviets had cavalry in WWII.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Interesting that he also favoured a straight cavalry sword. Swedes had those too in the 30 Years War and later. What are the differencies between curved and straight swords? I'd think that a curved sword would be better in a cavalry charge even if it wasn't as lethal, because it wouldn't get stuck so easily.

Isn't the main difference that curved slashes better and makes it easier to cut a dude up, but a straight sabe makes it easier to stab (like between two armoured plates)?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Molentik posted:

Isn't the main difference that curved slashes better and makes it easier to cut a dude up, but a straight sabe makes it easier to stab (like between two armoured plates)?

In the case of cavalry use, it's a bit more complicated than that. The important consideration for a cavalry weapon is how to get your weapon OUT of the unfortunate fellow you just attacked, instead of breaking your wrist or losing your sword.

I believe Easton has a video arguing that the curve in the sabre helps with that, either by facilitating a sort of thrusting cut where the point doesn't get stuck in, or otherwise helping the body slide off the end.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Molentik posted:

How to stab someone while cavalry charging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c_wwRnukYs

Cut Vs Thrust in terms of cavalry tactics was a debate that raged on forever and for every person that loved the Patton type of sword there was someone who thought it was garbage. Especially given that you can make swords that do both quite well, if not as good as say a 1796 trooper sword is at cutting or the patton is at thrusting.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

JcDent posted:

I wouldn't harp on Patton's WWI sword considering that stupider things were done by many other people a year later, and that Italians and Soviets had cavalry in WWII.

Soviet cavalry largely acted as more mobile infantry and also had rifles and submachineguns.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I remember reading a few years ago about certain types of cold war light tanks which trended toward large caliber, low velocity cannons that shot ATGM's for anti-armour duty and were intended for infantry support. I'm assuming IFV's are meant to fill that role now? Does anyone anywhere field any kind of light tank as we would think of it anymore?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sullat posted:

Joke's on him, I guess. That word has been appropriated by the people.
I think Poe's Law results in it being a runaway success really.

Delivery McGee posted:

Speaking as an Olypmic fencer, that's a thing of beauty. I'd love to own one. I have literally no idea how it'd be used on horseback though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slavvy posted:

I remember reading a few years ago about certain types of cold war light tanks which trended toward large caliber, low velocity cannons that shot ATGM's for anti-armour duty and were intended for infantry support. I'm assuming IFV's are meant to fill that role now? Does anyone anywhere field any kind of light tank as we would think of it anymore?

I assume you mean the M551 Sheridan, which I refuse to call a tank.

Paraguay still has M3 Stuarts (and M4 Shermans) in its active inventory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_Army#Armored_vehicles

PT-76 and Scorpion are still in use in many armies.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 21, 2015

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

who was the craziest general who was still good at war

patton
wallenstein
stonewall jackson
anyone else?

Yang Xiuqing, if he wasn't faking the voice of God stuff.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

I think Poe's Law results in it being a runaway success really.
Speaking as an Olypmic fencer, that's a thing of beauty. I'd love to own one. I have literally no idea how it'd be used on horseback though.
like a cut-and-thrust sword, i guess. isn't it awesome?

lookit the balance, i bet it's real fast too

patton had Good Sword Opinions

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GAL posted:

Shame he was a raging antisemite

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Yang Xiuqing, if he wasn't faking the voice of God stuff.

Which let's face it he totally was.

Edit: Mohammed? :can:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

i do not think you could cut much with a patton sword

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

This is why I read this thread.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Baracula posted:

Shame he was a raging antisemite
it wasn't just him

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

quote:

An excellent book that ironically, proves the complete opposite thesis than what the author is trying disprove! As with many books concerning the third-rail subject matter of Jews and their disproportionate influence and power, this one doesn't disappoint in that it uses much of their own words and actions as the most damming evidence.

The book is also an excellent look back into history before the sickening stench of PC had invaded the government and the military; for proof just read this book and then look at "our" govt today...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Gotta love that guy's grasp of the double negative.

Nenonen posted:

Paraguay still has M3 Stuarts (and M4 Shermans) in its active inventory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_Army#Armored_vehicles

PT-76 and Scorpion are still in use in many armies.
The Scimitar version of the Scorpion is still in use by the British army last I checked too.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i do not think you could cut much with a patton sword
The "cut" part of "cut and thrust" kind of refers to nice shallow "bleed" cuts where you are aiming to get hits on the sword hand and forearm that will hamper your opponent but also allow you to both declare honour satisfied before anyone dies or gets maimed. Something that really irritated me about trying to learn Olympic sabre having come from fifteen years or so of foil is how people will generally just flick at your fingers and get a hit that's as good as a point to the gut.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

anyone else?

Who was that? A cursory google search only came up with a French King, Charles VI, not known for his military skills.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

I bet you'll be pleased to hear that the successor to the 551 is on the way!

Here's a white paper on it if anyone is interested.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

sullat posted:

Who was that? A cursory google search only came up with a French King, Charles VI, not known for his military skills.
i forgot, actually. maybe it was a guy who thought his arm was made of glass? i can't find him either :shrug:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Arquinsiel posted:

The guy in that video says you use it like a lance, holding it out in front with the point ahead of you to skewer people with.

Straight swords have been used by cavalry before that too though haven't they, didn't the Romans have one? How did they use it back then?

Also that's really cool, how long have you been fencing for?

also to step back a bit:

chitoryu12 posted:

The constipation was traced to two factors: soldiers are just plain scared to take a dump in a warzone, and they often exercised heavily while consuming massive amounts of protein shakes in an effort to get jacked.
I know poo poo-chat probably isn't anyone's favourite subject, but I'm curious, how did/ does this usually get dealt with? I know Hegel said her guys (and presumably people through most of history?) were pretty much never alone, from birth until death, so maybe they don't have the same inhibitions about that (and maybe everyone had diarrhea all the time anyway so constipation wasn't much of a concern)- but for people today it's gotta be a major issue right? Are laxatives just standard issue or do GIs go to poop conditioning classes or what

e: relatedly, how do people cope with sleep in a warzone? you don't want your soldiers just keeling over out of exhaustion every time they close their eyes, but I'd expect a lot of people have trouble sleeping at a scheduled time when they feel like they're in danger?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 21, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Do you think it would have been worthwhile to continue pursuing the M8 AGS rather than cancelling it and how well do you think a modernized version would fulfill the MPF requirements?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

i forgot, actually. maybe it was a guy who thought his arm was made of glass? i can't find him either :shrug:

I thought it was sugar, not glass...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Kafouille posted:

The way Kartzev dumps on the T-64 is a bit rich really, considering the T-72 simply would have not existed without it, the T-72 prototypes being mostly built out of T-64 parts.
Not true at all. The only thing the T-72 and T-64 share in common is the gun.

• Locked thread