Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
remember how everyone then posits that since that can be done, we'll soon replace boring ol' predictable stoplight mechanisms with goofy poo poo you can't trust outside it's training parameters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

karasu posted:

What our layout team did was calculate the traversal speed of the different signal layers and make a big spreadsheet which lists the lengths that each signal spends on every plane and calculate the combined delay. Then they added detours for some signals so that all the signals of a group have the same delay. We're using Altium which has signal integrity functionality but nobody used it. I joined the project when the first boards were already in the house, otherwise I would have freaked out with this workflow like our FAE did.

lol

full disclosure: i haven't actually done a DDR3 design yet, next week i'm off to denmark for a design course, at least i'll be using straight chips and not DIMMs

i'm expecting to have to do the simulations and fine tuning myself on the layout though, i don't expect a PCB layout artist to know the SI tooling very well

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mr Dog posted:

remember that time somebody autogenerated a clockless FPGA to distinguish between two tones and it had a bunch of poo poo in the corner that wasn't connected to anything and if you took that stuff out or changed the ambient temperature significantly it didn't work any more

http://www.damninteresting.com/on-the-origin-of-circuits/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That was super interesting, I hadn't heard of it before.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its a really good way of finding corner cases in your simulator

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

if i want to program a couple of small PALs/GALs to replace a handful of TTL chips then what should i be learning? vhdl? verilog? palasm? cupl?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

verilog

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
and u should use one of the modern pal/gal replacements that are basically tiny fpgas, which is why you use a real language. lattice makes a shitload of them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
verilog and/or vhdl

and the device you're looking for is a CPLD

I hear it's even hard to find a PAL or GAL or programmer for them these days

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

you can buy PALs and GAL on digikey no problem, and program them in any eprom programmer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i wish i could get a gal pal :(

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

i wish i could get a gal pal :(

build yourself one... out of gals and pals :boom:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Where's a good place to get an oscilloscope? In school we used HP/Agilent or Tektronix and they all seemed fine. Right now I need it for a hobby project where I'm doing electromyography and am trying to scale and threshold some A/D within 0-1V and my fluke dmm just can't do it. It's not like I need ~GIGASAMPLES~ though, but I'd like something with triggering/one-shot mode for this particular experiment. Doing screen caps to the computer would be cool but eh.

Would something like this be ok?
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/tls/5290405649.html
There are nicer ones like this but I don't really want to lay down the cash: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/5288379388.html

Hed fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 2, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hed posted:

Where's a good place to get an oscilloscope? In school we used HP/Agilent or Tektronix and they all seemed fine. Right now I need it for a hobby project where I'm doing electromyography and am trying to scale and threshold some A/D within 0-1V and my fluke dmm just can't do it. It's not like I need ~GIGASAMPLES~ though, but I'd like something with triggering/one-shot mode for this particular experiment. Doing screen caps to the computer would be cool but eh.

you can get an awesome older HP/Agilent/Keysight or Tektronix scope or logic analyzer for cheap on eBay or from Weird Stuff (which has an eBay store) or Halted/HSC

my HP 1660cs is a logic analyzer that includes a scope (including triggering like you want) and was only a few hundred bucks at HSC, and it has both GPIB and 10Base-T for control and programming and remote UI and data collection and stuff

I saw a 16500 mainframe and analyzer listed on eBay a month or two back by Weird Stuff for like $400, which is less than what I paid for an older model a year ago

e: looking at the listings you posted, the first might or might not be enough for what you want, the second I wouldn't bother with since you can get way more for less if you buy equipment that's a bit older

one other thing to watch out for is that Tek at least switched to Windows for the OS on their higher end equipment, meaning early-90s poo poo is running XP and likely to be a garbage dump if you let it near a network; all the HP-and-successors stuff I've seen has used their bespoke OS which makes me trust it a bit more

eschaton fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 2, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

this is the kind of thing I'm talking about

HP 54502A 400 MHz digital scope, for $200

and like other HP digital equipment it has HP-IB (aka GPIB, aka IEEE-488) which means you can use a USB adaptor or whatever to talk to it and automate whatever you're using it for, and Keysight still has all the docs online (and if it took software, the software would be there too)

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
idiot embedded programming question:

I'm working on moving out of the arduino environment - I've been using VisualMicro w/ Visual Studio for a spare time project, and it's really awesome. I'm working on separating things into different .cpp files... but is there a standard place for putting all my #define statements? Like, I guess stuff specifically for the functions of that cpp file would go there, but what about global stuff? Does that go in my main file or what?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
those old HP scopes are usually equivalent time below a certain timebase, really annoying because they don't give a clear indication of when that is

all the newer fancy HP instruments run windows XP too, but they do offer windows 7 now. they just released a UI refresh that makes them look and perform like a CD player program from 2002 (http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5991-3864EN.pdf?id=2432677)

just get a rigol DS1054z for home use, it's well built, lots of features (advanced triggering, protocol decoders, all standard measurements), can be upgraded to 100 MHz and they all come with USB, LXI Ethernet and USB flash drive support as standard, either one can do screenshots

that series also has a fairly wideband front-end so it will show sine wave signals significantly above 100 MHz, although loss increases a fair bit above 200 MHz and the frequency counter stops working above 100 or so

I've tried several tektronix MDO 3000 series scopes through work (though we don't use tek scopes in my department), rigol scopes are easier to use, have better looking UIs (and better persistence rendering) and are actually responsive whereas the low end tek scopes are super slow to do anything.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bump

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

idiot embedded programming question:

I'm working on moving out of the arduino environment - I've been using VisualMicro w/ Visual Studio for a spare time project, and it's really awesome. I'm working on separating things into different .cpp files... but is there a standard place for putting all my #define statements? Like, I guess stuff specifically for the functions of that cpp file would go there, but what about global stuff? Does that go in my main file or what?

sounds like you've got the right idea, you'll have to figure out the details yourself based on your workflow preferences, tools, etc. over time, you'll refine the conventions you use to organize and develop your firmare.

this shows the source for two applications.

├── include
│   └── spi.h
└── src
    ├── app
    │   ├── adapter
    │   │   ├── config.h
    │   │   ├── main.c
    │   │   └── Makefile
    │   └── logger
    │       ├── config.h
    │       ├── main.c
    │       └── Makefile
    └── driver
        ├── spi_x.c
        └── spi_y.c

both applications use the same API for the communicating with a spi device, so both main files start out like this,

code:
#include "spi.h"
int main () {
but 'adapter' uses one kind of MCU, and 'logger' uses another. the same driver can't be used for both mcu's because they have different spi peripherals. to sort this out, each makefile needs to compile the right file.

you should try to avoid using global #defines to configure drivers when possible.. there are some good reasons to do it, e.g. you really want to maximize battery life and minimize wake-time, so you don't want to configure your modules at run time. configuring your code with defines will however make your code less maintainable. at first its one #if, then its another, before long it becomes a mess.

logger/config.h
code:
#ifndef CONFIG_H
#define CONFIG_H
#define SPI_BAUD 1E6
#endif
adapter/config.h
code:
#ifndef CONFIG_H
#define CONFIG_H
#define SPI_BAUD 2E6
#endif
for the driver to see that define, we just include it from the driver,

driver/spi_x.c
code:
#include "config.h"
#include "device_header.h"
void spi_init() { SPI1BAUD = SPI_BAUD; } // SPI1BAUD provided by device_header.h
we could create a new application that sets SPI_BAUD to the desired value and re-use spi_x.c without breaking the other project.

a side effect of including config.h in the driver is that it ties your driver implementation to the workflow conventions you've defined. at best, your code will be difficult to share with others, at worst your source tree will become difficult to maintain over time.

a better way would be to expose the functionality you want through an API call rather than a global define. here i'm replacing the SPI_BAUD define with a setter

include/spi.h
code:
void set_baud(uint16_t baud);
implement that function correctly for both spi_y and x, and remove the "config.h"
spi_x.c
code:
// #include "config.h"
#include "spi.h"
void set_baud(uint16_t baud) { SPI1BAUD = baud; }
then instead of the #define SPI_BAUD line, call the set_baud function from the app/.../main.c

logger/main.c
code:
#include "spi.h"
int main () {
	set_baud(2E6);

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 4, 2015

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
spent an hour debugging SPI flash reads and writes

turns out those were working just fine

erase was hosed up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:newlol:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my usb datalink occasionally backpressures hard enough that the itty bitty fifo has to dump data on the floor. possible solutions:
fix the usb datalink to be more reliable
add a fuckoff big fifo

guess what im going to propose in the next rev of this prototype

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you guessed replacing the 32x8192 fifo with like 256mb of sram you guessed right!!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

if you guessed replacing the 32x8192 fifo with like 256mb of sram you guessed right!!!

might even be cheaper that way what with the relative volume of the components!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah when you factor in the cost of time it's outrageously cheap to add a fuckoff pile of RAM to the system and quite expensive for me to spend debug time figuring out why the USB link isn't quite perfect

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

although it is kind of weird that the USB3.0 device plugged into a USB3.0 port with a USB3.0 cable just doesn't enumerate at all. USB2.0 for lyfe i guess

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

other things coming to the next rev: replacing the fpga with just, like, t he biggest one in the family, who even cares

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

how fat is your BOM that 256mbit of SRAM is no big deal?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

other things coming to the next rev: replacing the fpga with just, like, t he biggest one in the family, who even cares

where all nontrivial fpga projects end up eventually

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

DuckConference posted:

how fat is your BOM that 256mbit of SRAM is no big deal?

oh probably sdram i guess

either way, our hundred dollar a pop fpgas are at best a tiny fraction of our bom so lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nobody even makes 256mbit srams lol

although tbf a 72mbit one would likely be just fine and easier to use than an sdram so final answer 36-72mbit sram

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

buy 2 of the biggest fpga and use one as a fifo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Palace of Hate posted:

unironically considered doing this with one of our dev boards around 20 minutes ago

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

my usb datalink occasionally backpressures hard enough that the itty bitty fifo has to dump data on the floor. possible solutions:
fix the usb datalink to be more reliable
add a fuckoff big fifo

guess what im going to propose in the next rev of this prototype

wish you're posts were dumped on the floor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Palace of Hate posted:

#yolo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bloody posted:

if u do this you'll prob have enough sram in the fuckoff fpga for ur giant fifo

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i can't imagine what it is that hosed up in the usb to make that much ram needed to solve the problem, but at the same time it sounds like the right call

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

saturating a usb3 bus creates fun problems like that yes

luckily my job on that project for me was to say "its broke" to the guys that actually made the board

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
oh i've only worked with usb2.0, i bet 3.0 has a whole nest of catches i have no clue about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

i can't imagine what it is that hosed up in the usb to make that much ram needed to solve the problem, but at the same time it sounds like the right call

it's 2.0 only but a 32x8192 fifo fills in idk a few milliseconds in our system and we're just using a bulk endpoint because i didnt want to figure out how to use a different one and then make a different one go fast enough

also i doesn't super duper matter to the long-term system because some day this usb bridge will be a wireless link to another real-time device so... eh.

• Locked thread