Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mitt Romney posted:

I think Ryan knows he's not going to get anywhere in Presidential politics and that being Speaker is the most power he'll ever get. I think he desperately wants to be speaker and he also desperately likes being begged to do so.

I suspect he'll slowly decrease his demands and accept whatever he can in order to become speaker.

I think you are seriously underestimating Ryan's ridiculous ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

I think Ryan knows he's not going to get anywhere in Presidential politics and that being Speaker is the most power he'll ever get. I think he desperately wants to be speaker and he also desperately likes being begged to do so.

I suspect he'll slowly decrease his demands and accept whatever he can in order to become speaker.

I think you're mistaken. He's very much a minimal effort maximum reward kind of guy, and W&M is plenty powerful without the danger of actually having to work for a living. Plus, I think he really would rather be with his family than wrangling his caucus. He's a politician with restrained ambitions. Hard as that is to believe, he isn't feigning reluctance.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ron Jeremy posted:

John Brennan was using an AOL account in tyol 2007?
No. He was using one until a few days ago when he closed it because they kept hacking it

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Reminder that a Times of Israel blogger posted an article entitled "When Genocide is Permissible" during the last round of Gazan fighting last summer, which to its credit that news organization quickly pulled and shortly after banned the author.
ToI was like Forbes or that old Fox News citizen-reporter site, more or less any yahoo could get publication space there pretty easily to offer their observations and hot takes. That was the case here - it was some jackass, not anyone with the Times

greatn posted:

Well it's spectacular that he was storing sensitive information on a loving AOL account.
So far it doesn't appear to be anything more sensitive than what I have in mine - copies of government paperwork that someone could use to do identity theft against him.

And if you have the balls to try and steal the identity of the director of the CIA, good fuckin luck. You are gonna need it.

Ashcans posted:

If you had asked me 'where do I find the CIA director's email', I would not have answered AOL in a hundred guesses. Maybe he was on to something?
Security by obscurity!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Three Olives posted:

I still don't get why he thought those bro-lifting photos were a good idea.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Probably the same thought process that led to "hey let's go 'help out' at a soup kitchen. When no one is there. And they don't need help. And we have to basically force our way in."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Appealing to the ylls millennial crowd.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hulk Krogan posted:

Probably the same thought process that led to "hey let's go 'help out' at a soup kitchen. When no one is there. And they don't need help. And we have to basically force our way in."

Also ruining the cookware and wasting the commercial dish soap.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hulk Krogan posted:

And then use undiluted industrial soap that actually makes the dishes he poses with unsafe to use without further cleaning.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Appealing to the ylls millennial crowd.

You'd think he'd have posed with a big glass of suet if that was the case.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And then use undiluted industrial soap that actually makes the dishes he poses with unsafe to use without further cleaning.

Slow on the draw there. :clint:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You'd think he'd have posed with a big glass of suet if that was the case.

Yeah he's far too scrawny. Needs to squat and eat jellied animal fat shakes all day.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

The most recent This American Life was about this topic as well. Interesting but also very depressing.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Three Olives posted:

That is a good point.

Peztopiary posted:

I think you're mistaken. He's very much a minimal effort maximum reward kind of guy, and W&M is plenty powerful without the danger of actually having to work for a living. Plus, I think he really would rather be with his family than wrangling his caucus. He's a politician with restrained ambitions. Hard as that is to believe, he isn't feigning reluctance.

This is the same guy who on election day in 2012 was giddy because he thought they were going to win and was already picking out replacements for himself on his committee.

His family excuses is a bullshit way of saying he's doesn't want to bother doing any fundraising like Boehner has. He's a power hungry politician, just like 99% of them are. You're eating up PR from his team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Can democrats stop with the "we have the work together to end partisan gridlock" talking points? Is there ANYONE who is won over by that line of thinking?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

mcmagic posted:

Can democrats stop with the "we have the work together to end partisan gridlock" talking points? Is there ANYONE who is won over by that line of thinking?

The kind of democrat that is voting for Hillary in the primary?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mitt Romney posted:

This is the same guy who on election day in 2012 was giddy because he thought they were going to win and was already picking out replacements for himself on his committee.

His family excuses is a bullshit way of saying he's doesn't want to bother doing any fundraising like Boehner has. He's a power hungry politician, just like 99% of them are. You're eating up PR from his team.

Yeah as a family man, I can say that spending time with screaming children is not nearly as satisfying as holding the fate of millions in my hands.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

How else do you suggest the Republican controlled House and Senate pass a bill that the Democratic President will sign?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Pundits, when the democrats use that to mean "let's do everything the Republicans want." It's a really narrow strategy.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Is there ANYONE who is won over by that line of thinking?

Beltway pundits

Edit: God dammit.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
When the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast refuse to budge they're real FREEDUM Americans.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

Radbot posted:

The kind of democrat that is voting for Hillary in the primary?

what

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm really curious about Jeb!'s plan to move the Department of the Interior out west and deregulate the BLM. Without the details it is unclear which interest groups this is a give-away to, or if it is all of them.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DemeaninDemon posted:

When the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast refuse to budge they're real FREEDUM Americans.

Why aren't Democrats willing to negotiate with them? This seems to be a failing of Democrats rather than of the HFC, in my opinion! --some pundit on CNN

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm really curious about Jeb!'s plan to move the Department of the Interior out west and deregulate the BLM. Without the details it is unclear which interest groups this is a give-away to, or if it is all of them.

It's probably an attempt to try to set up a dog whistle for Bundy Ranch types without outwardly saying he agrees with them because of the consequences of saying that outright.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
This is your seemingly weekly or daily reminder that the public have never blamed the Democrats for government shutdowns.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is your seemingly weekly or daily reminder that the public have never blamed the Democrats for government shutdowns.

Not exclusively. But they do get the blame, only as part of the standard "both sides are bad!" game plan.

quote:

According to the poll, 63% of those questioned say they are angry at the Republicans for the way they have handled the shutdown.

“But the Democrats are not getting off scot-free. Fifty-seven percent of Americans are also angry at the way the Democrats are dealing with the shutdown. And a 53% majority say they are also angry at President Obama,” says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. “It looks like there is more than enough blame to go around and both parties are being hurt by the shutdown.”

The CNN poll results are similar to those from a new Pew Research Center poll also released Monday and surveys from Gallup and CBS News/New York Times surveys conducted last week, which indicate slightly more people blaming — or angry at — Republicans than Democrats or the president for the shutdown.

Not surprisingly, huge majorities of Democrats are angry at the Republicans, and huge majorities of Republicans are angry at Obama and Democrats. Independents are equally angry at all sides, with 59% of Independents very or somewhat angry at the Democrats, six in 10 angry at the GOP, and 58% angry at Obama.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Obama's poll numbers were more damaged from the 2011 debt ceiling crisis compared to the GOP. That's even with Obama offering a poo poo ton of stuff in the negotiations.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If only that affected elections.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I remember the last debt ceiling crisis going pretty well for Dems until Healthcare.gov poo poo itself a few weeks later (and for the next few months).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
They say they want to work together because the Republicans can't even pick a speaker so it's really easy to take the position that you'd love to work together with them and be perceived as the reasonable party.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I remember the last debt ceiling crisis going pretty well for Dems until Healthcare.gov poo poo itself a few weeks later (and for the next few months).

That was the last shutdown, which was in 2013, which was followed up by a crushing mid term win by the GOP in 2014. The last debt ceiling crisis was in 2011.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Sort of. But the public loves the heck out of compromise:

quote:

While the GOP doesn't fare well in the poll, the poll suggests that the public is looking for almost as much compromise from the Democrats as from the Republicans in any bipartisan agreements.

Forty-nine percent say the Republicans should give up more than the Democrats in any future bipartisan agreement, but nearly as many -- 44% -- would prefer to see the Dems give up more than the GOP

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A lot of Colombians wanted to compromise with Pablo as well. What I'm saying is send in Delta Force.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Most depressing thing is if we did default, I bet enough people would see the ruin as proof of their strength and of the Other's weakness to get a fascist movement going.

GOP's risking everything over chump change and it feels like absurdist fiction. Best case scenario, I'm dead ~40 years out. If these maniacs blow it up, things will never be okay again.

tl;dr:

Nonsense posted:

What I'm saying is send in Delta Force.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Sort of. But the public loves the heck out of compromise:

I mean, when you're considering that the poll includes Republican voters that's really not so bad. I'm sure there are plenty of moderate conservatives who hate the gridlock and brinksmanship, but in a perfect world their solution would be for Dems to just give up and let the assholes they elected run amok.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nonsense posted:

A lot of Colombians wanted to compromise with Pablo as well. What I'm saying is send in Delta Force.

Chuck Norris is a Conservative.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Hey rear end in a top hat thanks for spoiling Narcos for us.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Sweeping electoral reform is more probable than there ever being any semblance of compromise between the two parties. And history has shown that when there is compromise, it's the Democrats that are the first to do so.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chalets the Baka posted:

Sweeping electoral reform is more probable than there ever being any semblance of compromise between the two parties. And history has shown that when there is compromise, it's the Democrats that are the first to do so.

How on earth do you think sweeping electoral reform would occur without a semblance of compromise between the two parties?

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Peztopiary posted:

No, he's gone Gault. It's actually a principled stance. gently caress you, country, I'm headed to the Gulch!

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Trabisnikof posted:

How on earth do you think sweeping electoral reform would occur without a semblance of compromise between the two parties?

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Internet Webguy posted:

The most recent This American Life was about this topic as well. Interesting but also very depressing.

I listened to it today and can't recommend it enough.

I'm almost embarrassed by how shocked I was when I heard what the conspiracy theory was. I thought it would be that right-wing elements in the government killed Rabin and framed a stooge. Oh, no, actually, Rabin tried to fake an assassination attempt on himself and then hosed it up and died. And the resulting wave of sympathy for Rabin resulted in... twenty years of right-wing rule and the literal and figurative demolition of the Oslo process.

At least with Trutherism, the cui bono principle leads to the theory down a path resembling logic. Rabin trutherism is just pure :psyduck:

• Locked thread