Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Baronjutter posted:

Transportation choices

Without knowing the absolute specifics, it's my understanding that Cims will make their choices based on availability, with a general preference to not drive their cars as long as certain conditions are satisfied, because they are European superpeople.

They will walk a surprisingly long distance to reach their "destination", which could be their job or their school, and sometimes a leisure area- they switch it up periodically, and then back home again. The choice they make is based on the layout of the transportation network at the moment they walk out of their origin point. They'll definitely walk several blocks to reach their destination, especially if you have made pedestrian footbridges. I'm not clear on whether this distance resets between "stops", such as along bus and train routes, or if it is cumulative throughout the route calculation.

But, basically, if there is a bus stop or train station for a route that takes them to acceptable walking distance to their destination, and that station is also within acceptable walking distance from their origin, AND there are enough buses/trains in service to let them board in some timely manner, then they will prioritize traveling that way. That last value seems to be pretty generous; we've all seen the giant mobs of people crowding around bus stops and subway stations in our screenshots.

I'm not sure if existing traffic congestion at the time they spawn from an origin influences the decision.

If the destination is too far to walk/too far from a transit station, then the AI will drive.

Sorry this is really abstract :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

kemikalkadet posted:

Making the countryside look not barren is really relaxing but also super loving time consuming. I wish the engine allowed terrain painting instead of the hacky way it is currently with ploppable sections. My finger would also really appreciate being able to hold the mouse button down to draw a single line of trees.

It does, you paint sand and resources in the map editor. Someone just needs to figure out how to make that work in the city builder mode and create some additional textures.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It does, you paint sand and resources in the map editor. Someone just needs to figure out how to make that work in the city builder mode and create some additional textures.

There's a thread about it on simtropolis. Apparently working out how to store what has been painted is the main sticking point:

http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/69190-concreteruin-brush-possible/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

kemikalkadet posted:

Making the countryside look not barren is really relaxing but also super loving time consuming. I wish the engine allowed terrain painting instead of the hacky way it is currently with ploppable sections. My finger would also really appreciate being able to hold the mouse button down to draw a single line of trees.

This is good and noble. It's how I'm trying to do farms now too. I wish we had Cities XL style flood-fill farms, but barring that I'd love some "line o' trees" or "fence" decorative splines. We need walls, trees, rows of things that can be drawn quick like a road but, just for decoration. Or you know, maybe have trees and poo poo actually effect noise pollution or something :(

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

If nothing else, I wish that the individual agricultural facilities could be way bigger than the ones we have. I liked how SC4 did farms- the lot was a gigantic gently caress-off field that filled pretty much all the space you gave it, with then a couple little buildings at the roadside. I made some really pretty rural farm towns in the region that I built to rely heavily on rail commutes to the couple of actual cities. Lots of like rural Japan-style "tiny village built around a single train station" dealies. They were surprisingly solvent and pleasant to look at.

Let me have my endless fields and tiny residential hub, Cities :argh:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

This is good and noble. It's how I'm trying to do farms now too. I wish we had Cities XL style flood-fill farms, but barring that I'd love some "line o' trees" or "fence" decorative splines. We need walls, trees, rows of things that can be drawn quick like a road but, just for decoration. Or you know, maybe have trees and poo poo actually effect noise pollution or something :(

There are ploppable fence mods that can go anywhere. I have a metal fence and wooden country fence. You have to place a section one a time though which can get annoying. A fence brush mod would be great.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

deadly_pudding posted:

If nothing else, I wish that the individual agricultural facilities could be way bigger than the ones we have. I liked how SC4 did farms- the lot was a gigantic gently caress-off field that filled pretty much all the space you gave it, with then a couple little buildings at the roadside. I made some really pretty rural farm towns in the region that I built to rely heavily on rail commutes to the couple of actual cities. Lots of like rural Japan-style "tiny village built around a single train station" dealies. They were surprisingly solvent and pleasant to look at.

Let me have my endless fields and tiny residential hub, Cities :argh:

I always ended up with big American style farms in SC4, just miles and miles of big square fields. In skylines I've tried to emulate English farmland, the field shapes make no sense if you look at them top down and they're interspersed with random copses. I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out I just wish it took less effort.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well England never had the Homestead act.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume the England style is a result of farms working around inconvenient terrain features or copses that were too hard to cut down.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there any benefit to keeping some distance between Commercial and Residential zones besides cutting down noise pollution for residential?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there any benefit to keeping some distance between Commercial and Residential zones besides cutting down noise pollution for residential?

That is the precise benefit. Also, you wanna take into account traffic from delivery vehicles.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

xzzy posted:

I assume the England style is a result of farms working around inconvenient terrain features or copses that were too hard to cut down.

They were also based on a manorial system originally where each family was allotted an amount of land which the single family could work, meaning that depending on the terrain and what they were growing you would wind up with different parcels of land. Over the course of hundreds of years of expansions, consolidations, forest removals, marsh drainage, etc. you wind up with some crazy looking farmlands.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BigRed0427 posted:

Aside from the benefit of reduced noise pollution, that distance also offers the potential for future placement of larger service buildings, such as hospitals, parks, cemeteries etc (especially if you're playing on a euro-themed map).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

They were also based on a manorial system originally where each family was allotted an amount of land which the single family could work, meaning that depending on the terrain and what they were growing you would wind up with different parcels of land. Over the course of hundreds of years of expansions, consolidations, forest removals, marsh drainage, etc. you wind up with some crazy looking farmlands.

Same with the older cities, Grids are a comparatively modern thing, and mostly a symptom of the city being built all at once. Old towns tend to be more ramshackle as sections get added on willy nilly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Then the hedges and borders came about when the rich threw all the communist farmers off the land and put up walls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosure

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I tried picking this game up again, and after the install of the newest update the game crashes after a few minutes of play. No actions, just scrolling around the map in a regular way.

It looks like a graphics issue: the screen goes partially black, partially static, before showing the desktop. Oddly, the game is still running in the background; sound still plays, game cursor still on. But I can't load the game back, nor can I access anything else except task manager.

I didn't have any such issues at release, and I already tried turning off the day/night cycle. I have several mods installed. Any ideas?

e: system temp is normal. I get an error sometimes saying my display driver crashed, which is something I'd not seen before. I have the most recent version of the driver.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 22, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I've got an industrial area sitting right next to a cargo hub. The cargo hub is constantly pulling in ships around 30% full, but the industrial area is still reporting not enough raw materials, any way to address this?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Solemn Sloth posted:

I've got an industrial area sitting right next to a cargo hub. The cargo hub is constantly pulling in ships around 30% full, but the industrial area is still reporting not enough raw materials, any way to address this?

Cargo can be really loving weird. I've had problems like that too and no matter what I did it stayed hosed up. I just kept expanding the city and producing more resources locally and eventually poo poo sorted its self out. It's like the trucks have trouble pathing or get stuck off map or who knows what. Same problem with commercial zones reporting no goods to sell while right next to a highway and industry and no jams in the city. The economy and traffic in the game can be unreliable at times.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Count Roland posted:

I tried picking this game up again, and after the install of the newest update the game crashes after a few minutes of play. No actions, just scrolling around the map in a regular way.

It looks like a graphics issue: the screen goes partially black, partially static, before showing the desktop. Oddly, the game is still running in the background; sound still plays, game cursor still on. But I can't load the game back, nor can I access anything else except task manager.

I didn't have any such issues at release, and I already tried turning off the day/night cycle. I have several mods installed. Any ideas?

e: system temp is normal. I get an error sometimes saying my display driver crashed, which is something I'd not seen before. I have the most recent version of the driver.

Your video card driver is crashing. Could be a bunch of things: Power supply issues, bad RAM (System or Video), GPU overheating.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

Also: plow technology. Technology, materials and techniques informed ancient and premodern agriculture just as much as it does today, we just tend not to think about it too hard. Long narrow plots are good because turning the plow around is a waste of time and a pain in the rear end. Copse in the way is fine, whatever, the plot is long and narrow anyway so just bend them around it. Nobody has time to remove stumps with iron hand tools. Cutting down trees isn't hard it's the loving stumps seriously they still use explosives to clear those in some places because fuuuuck that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I rebound build up/down to the arrow keys instead of pgup/pgdn to make sure it wasn't a numlock problem, but still sometimes in a game they just stop working midgame and I can't build bridges/tunnels. Is this a known issue?

e:nevermind me, I'm just an idiot, turns out I was trying to raise/lower some of the custom road types I downloaded and I guess they don't support that.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 22, 2015

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

kemikalkadet posted:

The tree brush mod let's you single click and it plops trees forever! The dream: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406723376&searchtext=tree+brush

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Solemn Sloth posted:

Every off map connection has an independent import capacity (and export capacity). If you are connected to every highway, rail, and sea connection, you're potentially just out of all the raw materials in the world.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

zedprime posted:

Every off map connection has an independent import capacity (and export capacity). If you are connected to every highway, rail, and sea connection, you're potentially just out of all the raw materials in the world.

That can happen? :psyduck: that is a hosed up problem to have.
I know you can run out of ore and oil. Is it just a matter of hitting a threshold of too many industrial buildings for the map connections to support? If that's the case, I'd just start re-zoning some industry as offices, and it should even out after you let the simulation shuffle your educated workers around.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

deadly_pudding posted:

I know you can run out of ore and oil. Is it just a matter of hitting a threshold of too many industrial buildings for the map connections to support? If that's the case, I'd just start re-zoning some industry as offices, and it should even out after you let the simulation shuffle your educated workers around.
I think the specialty imports have lower capacity, for normal industry its nearly impossible if your map has all the possible connections. Its more of a concern if you use or make a custom map that wasn't as diligent about the connections as it needs to be.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

deadly_pudding posted:

If you're not using unlimited resource deposit mod then you're going to have a very bad time making any sort of enjoyable industrial city.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Baronjutter posted:

If you're not using unlimited resource deposit mod then you're going to have a very bad time making any sort of enjoyable industrial city.

Just like in real life.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

zedprime posted:

I think the specialty imports have lower capacity, for normal industry its nearly impossible if your map has all the possible connections. Its more of a concern if you use or make a custom map that wasn't as diligent about the connections as it needs to be.

Ah, I'm using a custom map so that's probably it.

Fasdar posted:

Just like in real life.

Communist lies, the resource boom will never end.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Either way it won't run out in less than a week. :argh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I've always had the no-pillars mod but I realized I've never actually use it. I did for the very first time to deal with some elevated rail that SHOULD have fit but was giving me overlapping error. I clicked the overlap button, laid my track, then clicked it again to turn it back.

Now half my roads types don't allow me to zone, pedestrian paths are going through buildings and roads like they aren't there. Doesn't matter if I turn it on or off, same effect. Is something hopelessly broken or do I just not understand this mod?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

HORMELCHILI posted:

Might anybody know why this game is crashing at the "paradox" startup logo from too many mods (assuming its that because deleting some tends to fix it) even though I have 16 gigs of ram? It's never consistently a specific mod or asset, and sometimes the game will run fine until I add a few more assets/mods, at which point it crashes, and I'll have to go back and delete stuff that was working fine before. Before AD I never ran into this issue. I understand its likely just too many assets loading at the start but with 16 gigs of ram that seems a bit unlikely, when the game ran fine with this many mods before the update.

I'd also love to have an answer to this, it happening to me was the reason I stopped playing the game. Game would run fine, albeit with a sizable load time, I'd add 2 new assets, now it won't load. And will continue to not load until I unsubscribe from all assets.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Count Roland posted:

For the record, I solved the problem. Apparently my Radeon 6800 graphics card has a hard time displaying cargo train stations. Moving the camera around with a couple in sight can cause the fuckup. I launched the game using Dirextx 9 and it works fine now.

Its strange though that this problem wasn't there when the game was released.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So I've always had the no-pillars mod but I realized I've never actually use it. I did for the very first time to deal with some elevated rail that SHOULD have fit but was giving me overlapping error. I clicked the overlap button, laid my track, then clicked it again to turn it back.

Now half my roads types don't allow me to zone, pedestrian paths are going through buildings and roads like they aren't there. Doesn't matter if I turn it on or off, same effect. Is something hopelessly broken or do I just not understand this mod?

Setting it to overlap means just that, things can go through each other with no collision masking. It also means roads aren't built with zones along them. Instead when you're dealing with that you want click the top button to turn the pillars off. Being unable to place a road/rail is mostly due to the pillars which would collide with whatever network is below them. It shouldn't have effected anything already built though, only new construction while set to overlap.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

For the record, I solved the problem. Apparently my Radeon 6800 graphics card has a hard time displaying cargo train stations. Moving the camera around with a couple in sight can cause the fuckup. I launched the game using Dirextx 9 and it works fine now.

Its strange though that this problem wasn't there when the game was released.

It's possible that the cargo train station uses a 3D feature that isn't used in any other building, but it seems more likely that your cargo train asset is bugged. Try a Steam verify game cache.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ofaloaf posted:

What's the normal percentage of the population that's supposed to be senior, then? For the past year in-game it's been pretty steady at 25%, and now it's January of 2026 and the population's still falling and nearing the 51k mark.

Goddammit I was so close to being a metropolis. :sigh:

I had something like this happen with my first city and the fix may surprise you

I decided to go for the observatory as well as the other bizarro buildings that required a negative goal, so I decided to basically destroy my city. Turned off the power, the water, demolished every police station, cut off every service. Burned through the few million in the war chest and went about that exact amount in debt before I hit every goal but crime rate (which I never hit, ironically enough). Decided to try and claw my way back out of the hole instead of reloading.

For some reason, when I finally broke even again, my city was making ten times as much profit as it was beforehand and population finally hit 55k. :shepface:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I found a mod that fulfills my wildest "relative realism" dreams.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

What this mod does is base building statistics not on the size of the lot and level, but the actual size of the building. The game has to calculate the size of the big scaffold that covers a building during construction, so this mod uses that information to generate the stats for all buildings. The default levels for the mod are quite reasonable and close to vanilla on average, but you'll see a lot more people in large buildings and fewer in small buildings. How it works is that each class of building/level in the game has its own line of stats that control the space per person/worker which is then divided into the square meters of a building. The square meters of a building is reached by taking the depth and width of a building (the building NOT the lot!!) and then counting how many floors it has based on the building's height divided by a typical floor height.

The result is that 2 level 3 4x4 office buildings will actually have different stats if they are different sized buildings. No more 30 story buildings having the exact same number of workers as a 10 story building. Also if the same building model is used on a small lot or a large lot that adds landscaping/parking, they will have the same stats since it's based off the building, not the lot.

I loaded this mod into an existing city and my total population didn't change much after the city had re-stabilized (much of your workplaces will abandon as the new worker totals don't move around fast enough). I love this mod because you can guess the stats of a building just by looking at it. The mod is set up to give low density residential generally always 1 household regardless of size or level, so a neighbourhood of dense small house will actually have more people that a sprawling high-end estate.

Combing this mod with the building eyedropper tool (which lets you pick and plop buildings) is amazing and lets you hand-craft downtown skylines. Skyscrapers finally matter.

Anyways, this mod has basically solved most all the gripes I've had with the game and it's bad stats and silly level up system. It's totally configurable, the main this is that it lets building stats be intuitive based on the size of the building. I can't say enough good things about it. Best to start a new city with it, but I applied it to a big 100k city and after a little abandonment demolishing things were back to normal in no time.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Airport roads, finicky buggers. I've got planes taking off from taxiways, landing planes doing 90 degree snap turns on intersecting runways and an ever growing infinite plane vortex. Didn't wait around to see if the amount of planes would cap at some point, but it didn't show any indication of that :gonk:

After some consulting of real world airport layouts and an inspirational beer, I came up with a layout that actually works. Planes land and taxi pretty much as one would expect.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Have you run into any issues with crime/garbage/whatever piling up in your cubicle cornucopias? People on simtropolis were warning me to not add too many jobs to unique buildings because (allegedly) the game engine can't handle that many people in the same place. I haven't yet tested it myself though.

Also, cool airport friction.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buttcoinbrony posted:

It's possible that the cargo train station uses a 3D feature that isn't used in any other building, but it seems more likely that your cargo train asset is bugged. Try a Steam verify game cache.

I will, thanks. I found a guy with the same problem, said something about mesh assets or something on the cargo station, no idea if that's true, but his fix worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I haven't had any problems other than the base game constantly reporting crime at special buildings. Closest thing to a perfect mod. If anything it feels like trash has gone down. I seem to have a bit more capacity and I'm already using the 1/4 trash mod.

Also I've looked but is there any mod that takes the chore out of pipes maybe by making their coverage 50 bigger or something?