Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
As much as I like Brad, I like his midnight reviews where others speak more than him. With Brad, you kinda know what he thinks because he's an Internet Critic and that informs his opinions rather strongly. His friends are more (for lack of a better term) normal, and their opinions vary more.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

kaleidolia posted:

Yeah, Goosebumps and Animorphs were staples of Scholastic book club newsletters growing up. You could get something expensive like a craft set, or you could get five Goosebumps books for the same price. To my kid brain, more books was clearly the better deal.

Especially since those book faires were all about getting kids reading something.

MisterBibs posted:

As much as I like Brad, I like his midnight reviews where others speak more than him. With Brad, you kinda know what he thinks because he's an Internet Critic and that informs his opinions rather strongly.

I'm not following the logic. How does him being an Internet Critic inform his opinion strongly?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Violet_Sky posted:

Were Goosebumps even a big thing when they first came out? Nowadays it's all *~90s KIDZ~* stuff but did people actually enjoy these series? The ep makes R.L. Stine's equivalent look like Stephanie Meyer.

Actually, I think Goosebumps was probably bigger then and has gotten strangely neglected in all the *~90s KIDZ~* stuff. I've seen it referenced, but as mentioned by others, it was pretty big, and IMO bigger than many other things I've seen in my obnoxious Facebook friends' "SHARE IF U REMMBR!!!~~~" pictures.

(Though personally I only read 1/3 of a Goosebumps book and checked out due to fear because I was a super scaredy child that couldn't even handle campfire stories. I got over it)

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 20, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PassTheRemote posted:

I'm not following the logic. How does him being an Internet Critic inform his opinion strongly?

I assumed it meant "he knows he's presenting his take to an audience more keenly than the other people"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Movie Nights looks at a Halloween Olsen Twins movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWEytRqsiGo

Errant Signal's part two on the 2013 Sim City game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUhuCMw7nnk

And This week, The Jimquiziton looks at how a small development studio pisses away its goodwill through Microtransactions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1lQ9g518cg

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's actually quite saddening to see Payday turn its back on its customers. Especially since my friends were so into it. Now look at all their fun now

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Ghostpilot posted:

I hadn't heard of Fear Street, but Goosebumps was huge, huge, huge. They were about the only books I could get my nephew to read.

I never read them myself and wasn't interested in reading them, but they were definitely very notably prominent when I was a child. There in every library, a lot of kids loved them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Brad did an episode on The Passion of the Christ with Doug. The skits are terrible. That is all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RedletterMedia's reaction to the Star Wars trailer

It's the kind of funny you'd expect from them!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jimbot posted:

RedletterMedia's reaction to the Star Wars trailer

It's the kind of funny you'd expect from them!

Ah man, I figured the gag was going to be Mike hitting stop instead of record, and then the video picking up after he hits record again to stop it, and we'd see some kind of insane aftermath; this was kind of a boring fake-out by comparison.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The goosebumps tv show was hilarious though. I love Jontron's video on Goosebumps where he got baffled by Don Cherry showing up and screaming at the Jay Baruchel replacement from Popular Mechanics for Kids.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

Ah man, I figured the gag was going to be Mike hitting stop instead of record, and then the video picking up after he hits record again to stop it, and we'd see some kind of insane aftermath; this was kind of a boring fake-out by comparison.

Yeah, this is what I expected; I kept clicking forward for the inevitable reveal and nothing :smith:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Brad did an episode on The Passion of the Christ with Doug. The skits are terrible. That is all.

The review part is fine, but yes the skits were just cringe inducing. I don't understand why Doug feels the need to add these, especially since he could do reviews and then seperate sketch videos.

Secondly, I said this in the thread before, but why did they just get cheap rear end Mario and Luigi costumes. Hell, near the end the Luigi costume is ripping and you can see the stuffing. Also, when there was a shot of Mario and Luigi from the back you can see that the costumes were not even closed all the way.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Isn't it generally safe to assume that any given reviewer's skits are terrible? I've only seen a few who aren't just intolerable. (Phelous is the only one I can think of who's reliably funny.)

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The bigger question is why are Mario and Luigi costumes part of a review of "The Passion of the Christ" or do I not get the young people any more?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

The bigger question is why are Mario and Luigi costumes part of a review of "The Passion of the Christ" or do I not get the young people any more?

Because they are torturing SantaChrist...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Robert Denby posted:

It's because Santa Christ chose Sega over Nintendo and Mario and Luigi are, and I quote, "anti-Segites."

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The Passion review would be better if it was just Brad's fake subs. I spent the whole time thinking that I need to rewatch The Russian Hobbit:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's because Santa Christ chose Sega over Nintendo and Mario and Luigi are, and I quote, "anti-Segites."

It's really obvious that Doug wrote in the SantaChrist bullshit.

SantaChrist, have you ever not been a terrible "character"?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I remember as a kid, those goosebumps books coming out, and since I had been reading John Bellairs books they just screamed horrible in comparison. I mean, compare a typical Goosebumps cover to something John Bellairs had, the comparison was not a favorable one.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Puppy Time posted:

Isn't it generally safe to assume that any given reviewer's skits are terrible? I've only seen a few who aren't just intolerable. (Phelous is the only one I can think of who's reliably funny.)

MikeJ's skits were pretty funny as well. My favorite was when he had FilmBrain guest star in one of his reviews.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bennett's skits can be hit and miss. Like having Gabe involved is usually fun, then you have stuff like Twilight of the Cockroaches where it made the whole review drag.

Though also speaking of Bennett, his out-of-character (Or however you wanna phrase it) videos about more recent movies are usually pretty good too, where it's just him and Gabe shooting the poo poo on the couch. I'll never get tired of hearing people rip on the Transformers movies and general big Hollywood shlock of the moment.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

PassTheRemote posted:

SantaChrist, have you ever not been a terrible "character"?

The one funny SantaChrist adjacent joke I can think of is, funnily enough, from Kickassia. He's killed (no wait, there's more to the joke stop laughing). And then there's a 10 minute long unfunny Peter Pan rip-off "he'll come back to life if everyone believes" sequence (wait wait wait I'm getting to the joke). And it doesn't work, SantaChrist is still dead, and everyone is "what do we do now"?

Quick cut of slamming a dumpster closed and driving away.

~15 minute setup for a 5 second joke. But I'll credit it, the payoff is funny. If you stuck around.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

lornekates posted:

The one funny SantaChrist adjacent joke I can think of is, funnily enough, from Kickassia. He's killed (no wait, there's more to the joke stop laughing). And then there's a 10 minute long unfunny Peter Pan rip-off "he'll come back to life if everyone believes" sequence (wait wait wait I'm getting to the joke). And it doesn't work, SantaChrist is still dead, and everyone is "what do we do now"?

Quick cut of slamming a dumpster closed and driving away.

~15 minute setup for a 5 second joke. But I'll credit it, the payoff is funny. If you stuck around.

My favorite part of this is that it's Rob being thrown in a dumpster (in spirit, at least).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yardbomb posted:

Bennett's skits can be hit and miss. Like having Gabe involved is usually fun, then you have stuff like Twilight of the Cockroaches where it made the whole review drag.

Though also speaking of Bennett, his out-of-character (Or however you wanna phrase it) videos about more recent movies are usually pretty good too, where it's just him and Gabe shooting the poo poo on the couch. I'll never get tired of hearing people rip on the Transformers movies and general big Hollywood shlock of the moment.

His newest episode is reviewing Memories, and its a fantastic dissection of all three short films. If you haven't seen Memories though, you're actually better off doing that first because it'll spoil the best story of the three.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

It's Back to the Future Day!

SFDebris reviews Back to the Future

GoingRampant reviews Back to the Future Part II

And, uh... nobody reviewing Part III as far as I can tell.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

poparena posted:

It's Back to the Future Day!

SFDebris reviews Back to the Future

GoingRampant reviews Back to the Future Part II

And, uh... nobody reviewing Part III as far as I can tell.
That's because it's perfect. :colbert:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Feminist Frequency posted their review of the new Assassins Creed game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OzKTAYkyTE

I never could get into the series. The framing device they shove into the beginning of each one just stops the game dead for me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Feminist Frequency posted their review of the new Assassins Creed game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OzKTAYkyTE

I never could get into the series. The framing device they shove into the beginning of each one just stops the game dead for me.

Funny. I had sort of the inverse reaction to the AC franchise. I'd played through the franchise on the hope that eventually the framing device would become the story itself that Ubisoft was just working itself up to having a badass Assassin's Creed game set entirely in modern times (Desmond Miles optional, of course), and then got kicked in the gut with AC III. I'm hesitant to even start playing my backlog copy of Black Flag now and have virtually zero interest in the newer games Ubi's published since then.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

nine-gear crow posted:

Funny. I had sort of the inverse reaction to the AC franchise. I'd played through the franchise on the hope that eventually the framing device would become the story itself that Ubisoft was just working itself up to having a badass Assassin's Creed game set entirely in modern times (Desmond Miles optional, of course), and then got kicked in the gut with AC III. I'm hesitant to even start playing my backlog copy of Black Flag now and have virtually zero interest in the newer games Ubi's published since then.

You should definitely check out Black Flag. The sea-faring aspect breathed some life back into the series, though that was quickly snuffed out by Unity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Black Flag is really good and still has some degree of story progression in modern-day.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

TheMaestroso posted:

You should definitely check out Black Flag. The sea-faring aspect breathed some life back into the series, though that was quickly snuffed out by Unity.

Syndicate is supposed to be rather good, at least. I think the lesson just needs to be to avoid the first one on each new engine that they do (AC1, AC3 and Unity were all first attempts on new engines)

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

TheMaestroso posted:

And if you like Black Flag, pick up Rogue, because it's Black Flag pt. 2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I head that in Syndicate the cool assassin girl gets like half as many missions as the usual charming charismatic hero archetype guy that has been in literally every AC game since 2.
That's lame and I wasn't gonna get the game anyway but I'm still not gonna get it

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I got to thinking that I would really love to see sfdebris's take on Nier, but I suppose that $400 could be put to better use in buying a PS4 so I can eventually play Nier 2.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Lupa, as a fellow Full Moon Video aficionado, do you have any plans to do anything involving Oblivion? I just want everyone on the internet to share in the joy that hearing a drunken George Takei mutter "Jim, Beam me up..." to his whiskey bottle brings me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Beefstew posted:

I got to thinking that I would really love to see sfdebris's take on Nier, but I suppose that $400 could be put to better use in buying a PS4 so I can eventually play Nier 2.

... really? The video game that's mostly great as a love letter to video games being reviewed by the guy who doesn't play video games? Why?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... really? The video game that's mostly great as a love letter to video games being reviewed by the guy who doesn't play video games? Why?

Because it's also interesting and bizarre sci-fi.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Augus posted:

I head that in Syndicate the cool assassin girl gets like half as many missions as the usual charming charismatic hero archetype guy that has been in literally every AC game since 2.
That's lame and I wasn't gonna get the game anyway but I'm still not gonna get it
There is a second playable lady it seems, it's a short segment in WW1 but it's there. and yes MRA's got mad. :v:

Spoilercontent: Stuff about the story in Assassin's Creed 2015 if you care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I hate to be the person who disagrees with Anita but more people were angry because Unity didn't work at all more so than it not having a female hero.

• Locked thread