Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Aramoro posted:

The Powerplay stuff sounds quite interesting, is it interesting in practice?
No, do you like endless grind alongside people who actively are sabotaging your own faction effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

No, do you like endless grind alongside people who actively are sabotaging your own faction effort?

Why do people sabotage your own factions effort?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The Powerplay stuff sounds quite interesting, is it interesting in practice?

Nope, it's extremely grindy and most of the faction modules and bonuses are bad/bugged/nonsensical.

Aramoro posted:

Why do people sabotage your own factions effort?

Because PP is pretty obtuse and you can actively hurt your own faction very easily by doing the wrong things. Doing the easiest thing to grind merits will hurt your own faction 9 times out of 10 so all factions have problems with unorganized merit grinders preparing/expanding bad systems.

e:
The good modules are Aisling's shields, Avril's railcannon, Denton's plasmacannon and possibly Hudson's fragcannon.
The good bonuses are Avril's and Hudson's bounty bonuses.

Lima fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 21, 2015

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
And because there isn't a clear way in game to communicate with your faction. Everything needs to be done through the brown sea/reddit, which I'm sure only covers part of the playerbase.

They designed a co-operative game of risk, neglected to give players the tools to communicate

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Is there a trick to dealing with that? I managed to get away a second time (3 interdictions, in a row, on a 100Ls in-system hop :wtc:) by submitting, then pumping everything into my engines and boosting in a straight line for dear life, and that seemed to outrange the gravity well so that I could jump back into supercruise without the 11x delay. Is that normal or did I just get a lucky-rear end glitch?

KakerMix posted:

As for your experience no, that isn't a glitch. When you are interdicted it can fling you way the gently caress away from wherever you are, including outside of whatever gravity well you might have been in. Since the Cobra is the fastest ship in the game* (Viper has a higher cruising speed, Imperial Eagle is technically faster under boost but only the Cobra out of these three can boost right after it's last boost meaning you maintain a higher speed for longer in a Cobra) the typical way to deal with interdictions with it is to submit, then when you drop boost away from whatever interdicted you and jump away.

I actually got followed by the same motherfucking NPC last night. I was running regular trade and deliver missions out of Fehu to test the prospect of using it again for monies (made 12 million on a 56 cargo Asp), not even running smuggling missions, and the interdictions were horrible. IE:

-Keep point inside of evasion circle for 10 seconds solid (go me!) but their bar still fills to full during that time frame.
-Ships interdicting me, or initiating interdiction, while in front of me and more than 500ls out, then magically warping in behind me.
-The ever loveable teleporting evasion bubble (Only happened 2-3 times over the course of probably 20+ interdictions)

The following bit. My Asp didn't have any guns on it and so when I jumped into a system where the intended stations was 10kLS out and 3 NPCs immediately appeared behind me, I knew I was in for a bad night. Three separate times the same NPC in the same Adder interdicted me. 3 separate times I failed to evade and was pulled out of SC. All without even going 600ls towards my 10k target. I finally got pissed and 4 pipped system so I could ram the fucker to death and then continued on.

All together.. the paltry 12 million scored from the Fehu missions wasn't worth the amount of time and frustration spent dealing with the broken interdiction mechanic.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Anyone got a good mid-range (i.e. 300m spend incl hull) battleconda fit? I need someone to be rational for me as i keep gravitating towards all plasma accelerator all the time

I've found a variation on this build to work out quite well in PVE; it's not the flashiest when it comes to weapons but the 4 large pulse turrets can fire indefinitely with 4 pips to WEP, and you can let loose the beams when you're in close range to chew up shields/subsystems. You can swap out the shield cells easily for other things if you want a more multipurpose build.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

The following bit. My Asp didn't have any guns on it and so when I jumped into a system where the intended stations was 10kLS out and 3 NPCs immediately appeared behind me, I knew I was in for a bad night. Three separate times the same NPC in the same Adder interdicted me. 3 separate times I failed to evade and was pulled out of SC. All without even going 600ls towards my 10k target. I finally got pissed and 4 pipped system so I could ram the fucker to death and then continued on.

All together.. the paltry 12 million scored from the Fehu missions wasn't worth the amount of time and frustration spent dealing with the broken interdiction mechanic.

You know, for reasons like this I like to arm my little Rogue Traders. Because what the gently caress man, you got waylaid by a loving Adder? I could sometimes punt Adders away even with a T6 and two class 1 pulse lasers.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

LCL-Dead posted:

I finally got pissed and 4 pipped system so I could ram the fucker to death and then continued on.

I mean it sounds like you solved the problem just fine

e: Yeh interdiction is not just "hard" to me it feels "broken." I've won while at 80% full, I've gone from 10 seconds of zero blue and not near the circle to zipping to full and and winning in 3 seconds, I've lost under the same conditions on the other side. It's bad.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Adult Sword Owner posted:

e: Yeh interdiction is not just "hard" to me it feels "broken." I've won while at 80% full, I've gone from 10 seconds of zero blue and not near the circle to zipping to full and and winning in 3 seconds, I've lost under the same conditions on the other side. It's bad.
Today's patch had a vague note about improving interdictions, I was hoping that meant they'd fixed them.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

They also fixed mining. Of course, by fixing they reverted the refinery back to requirering manual control and now sometimes ores won't go into bins even though they're empty :frogbon:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Lima posted:

They also fixed mining. Of course, by fixing they reverted the refinery back to requirering manual control and now sometimes ores won't go into bins even though they're empty :frogbon:

At least no where as bad as it used to be but yeah they done hosed it up because we tasted the forbidden fruit. Still has that annoying "prospector failed but not really" bug if you launch one with your cargo scoop open ie 98% of the time

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I thought it was saying "prospector failed" because the last one you used blew up because you launched a new one. It was still annoying though.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
"Fix for Federal Assault Ship and Gunship Ranks"

Oh god DAMMIT if they had removed the rank requirement but added it back in I guess I missed my easy opportunity to just go and get one

Any idea what this means?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

TomR posted:

I thought it was saying "prospector failed" because the last one you used blew up because you launched a new one. It was still annoying though.

Oh yeah, i didn't think of that :v:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I was browsing around search results to see what ships and setups people use for different jobs, and one of them was a mining Anaconda with three collector drone controllers that could each handle three drones. Why would you ever need that many concurrent drones, especially with only two mining lasers? Also: For entry-level piracy in a Cobra or something in an anarchy system, picking on freighters, are hatchbreakers worth using or do you prefer to just blow out their cargo hatch to spill everything at once?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

"Fix for Federal Assault Ship and Gunship Ranks"

Oh god DAMMIT if they had removed the rank requirement but added it back in I guess I missed my easy opportunity to just go and get one

Any idea what this means?

As early as last night I was looking at Gunships and Assault ships in a shipyard. I didn't see an issue with rank unless they raised them from what they were. I think both required Ensign.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The FAS required only Chief Petty Officer a few days ago when I bought one, so if it's Ensign now they raised it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sard posted:

I was browsing around search results to see what ships and setups people use for different jobs, and one of them was a mining Anaconda with three collector drone controllers that could each handle three drones. Why would you ever need that many concurrent drones, especially with only two mining lasers? Also: For entry-level piracy in a Cobra or something in an anarchy system, picking on freighters, are hatchbreakers worth using or do you prefer to just blow out their cargo hatch to spill everything at once?

Actually in my mining Python I have 2 5A collector controllers (so 6 drones) + 1 medium mining laser and that's the sweet spot: the drones finish collecting the fragments right when the asteroid is depleted, or 10 seconds later at most.

With 2 medium lasers 6 drones can't work fast enough and I always end up waiting for the drones to finish, not much time but enough to be annoying, unless I'm only 100m or so from the asteroid which I generally don't like. Spinning asteroids smacking into you break up your rythm :v:

By the way, what's a decent way to avoid big, spinning asteroids crushing all your drones repeatedly? I try positioning myself on the side that's less spinny, but it's often not enough, and it appears the best painite / platinum rocks are always big, irregular and spinning fast in every direction :argh:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well now that I have around 300 mil in the bank, I would assume commodity trading in an Anaconda would be the best income per hour? Anything else in the game that beats that?

vvv Cool. What would a ballpark be for an ideal trading route? 4000 credits per ton per round trip? Haven't traded in a long while so the game may have changed. People still using that one site to find trade routes?

Siets fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 21, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Your best bet is to work from above one of the axises, though even that sometimes doesn't work. I really wish they would add more tools, like a tractor beam or something that could slow down asteroids, or make that something else prospectors do with their thrusters, it could be a reason to run one of the bigger controllers, more prospectors = better slowing speed.

e: Livestream starting soon! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Siets posted:

Well now that I have around 300 mil in the bank, I would assume commodity trading in an Anaconda would be the best income per hour? Anything else in the game that beats that?

Not really. Welcome to the End Game.

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

The live stream is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, that was interesting. Did I get it right that they are not planning several different models of land cars?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

Well, that was interesting. Did I get it right that they are not planning several different models of land cars?

If that's true that's going to suck and get stale relatively quick.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I remember hearing before that there'll only be the Scarab SRV at launch, but they do intend to add more vehicles over time.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

They said in the stream that there would be different SRVs and that they also want to have modules and such for them eventually.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Gonna pimp my rover out soooo hard.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Sekenr posted:

Just the scarab at launch, but they are planning more model srvs suited to special roles, just like ships.

The collision model on the dev build was either turned off or wonky, and no matter how many times they answered "it's a dev build, we're just showing the basics of driving and doing loving somersaults and barrel rolls in a space car today" people still panicked and thought the finished version would have no collision.

You can dismiss and summon your ship at will, it fucks off to the sky. No word if its persistent or not while there.

Buggys have shields, they were disabled for the demo to show falling down too far and fast can damage you.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I believe they mentioned the shields won't work for terrain impact damage, so that probably won't change. It seemed like the collision modeling was active, but seemingly only for the driver cabin. They passed into and through the rear of the other SRV a few times, but when they met head to head they bounced.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
Also, fdev, you can't make us (or your own devs) call it an SRV!

It's a booggy. :)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They should make a ship that actually has strong yaw mobility.

Just as kind of a gimmicky ship.

Clipper and Courier both have very strong yaw and lateral thrusters.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So what exactly do I need to do to get my rear end in a clipper? I'm at master empire rank, do I need to keep grinding that or is some community events lowering requirements? Do I need to haul something somewhere to have that apply to me or is it for all players? Also what's this about a discount in certain systems? Do I need to be pledged towards a certain faction for it to apply?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Parallelwoody posted:

So what exactly do I need to do to get my rear end in a clipper? I'm at master empire rank, do I need to keep grinding that or is some community events lowering requirements? Do I need to haul something somewhere to have that apply to me or is it for all players? Also what's this about a discount in certain systems? Do I need to be pledged towards a certain faction for it to apply?

You need to get to Baron rank. Only four more ranks for you to grind, have fun!

As for pricing, it seems there are just some systems/stations that are cheaper for buying stuff. I got my Anaconda recently for 125 million instead of the full price of 145 million (at Sadi Carnot City, in Beetrix), and I'm not pledged to any faction. The modules at that station are cheaper too, not just the ships.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Parallelwoody posted:

The Clipper (and Courier/iEagle) is currently available without a rank requirement thanks to the community goal for the donation of gifts for Arissa's coronation. As I found out last night, the rank reduction is for all stations selling the Clipper and there's also a 20% discount on the ship everywhere which handily stacks with the powerplay discount bonuses. The best pricing is currently buying the Clipper from a Li Yong-Rui controlled/exploited system for a full 35% discount bringing it down to 15m for the hull.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Courier is also fun as gently caress and clocks in under 10 million with an all-A fitting and every conceivable luxury module.

Seems like it might be the best ship in the game that for going full Top Gun. The Vulture and Clipper are a bit too big and stately.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mercurius posted:

The Clipper (and Courier/iEagle) is currently available without a rank requirement thanks to the community goal for the donation of gifts for Arissa's coronation. As I found out last night, the rank reduction is for all stations selling the Clipper and there's also a 20% discount on the ship everywhere which handily stacks with the powerplay discount bonuses. The best pricing is currently buying the Clipper from a Li Yong-Rui controlled/exploited system for a full 35% discount bringing it down to 15m for the hull.

Oh snap, do you know of such a system off the top of your head where I can grab one of them?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rah! posted:

You need to get to Baron rank. Only four more ranks for you to grind, have fun!

As for pricing, it seems there are just some systems/stations that are cheaper for buying stuff. I got my Anaconda recently for 125 million instead of the full price of 145 million (at Sadi Carnot City, in Beetrix), and I'm not pledged to any faction. The modules at that station are cheaper too, not just the ships.

Oh word.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Looks like the discount is because it's a Li Yong-Rui system. Good to know that all of his systems have the same bitchin' low prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Oh snap, do you know of such a system off the top of your head where I can grab one of them?
I got sick of not being able to find a Li Yong-Rui system selling the Clipper and ended up buying it from a Patreus control system instead (10% discount instead of 15%, it's less than 1m credits difference). Just go into the map and look at Patreus Control systems and then go to http://ed-td.space/en/18/Find+Ship and plug them in until you find one listed as selling the Clipper.

• Locked thread