Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm not following.

My methods: I'm almost always in the blue zone unless chasing, even then I'm careful about speeding up on a target that's more than likely about to flip a bitch. I make very liberal use of my thrusters in every maneuvering situation (Slight evidence a page or two back in the sidewinder being rammed by a python video, that was me in the vulture). However, I never use FA Off or if I do it's only for a few seconds until I've reoriented onto the target.

What precisely are you trying to showcase with that video?

Adult Sword Owner posted:

translation vs rotation

The difference between trying to rotate your ship vs pointing in the best direction in the first place I guess?

Exactly this. On larger ships, this is something you almost always want to do because your pitch rates are much lower than on smaller ones. Once you're facing your enemy, it's easier most of the time to keep them there by physically moving your ship than it is by rotating to keep up.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Kinda makes me want to kit out a combatconda. God knows I have the $$$ for it.

It's not a terribly effective fighter, but it's nigh unkillable and really loving fun to fly, it moves like it doesn't weigh 1400 tons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

translation vs rotation

The difference between trying to rotate your ship vs pointing in the best direction in the first place I guess?

Rotate as in yaw or rotate as in rolling and bringing the nose up? I'm of the habit of continuously making sure my target is in the upper center portion of my screen via roll and pitch.. cause Vulture's can't really shoot down.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

LCL-Dead posted:

Rotate as in yaw or rotate as in rolling and bringing the nose up? I'm of the habit of continuously making sure my target is in the upper center portion of my screen via roll and pitch.. cause Vulture's can't really shoot down.

Any rotation, yaw, pitch or roll. Keeping your target in the upper portion of your cockpit is smart tho, since for the most part it's the zone with the most unimpeded view.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
So im in an eagle and can kill stuff no problemo (except for the larger ships of course). I'm just supposed to fly around looking for bounties? Cause I've been going from station to station in different systems and I'm either getting really low payouts or nothing I can do at all cause I'm just starting out. Any advice?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
They should make a ship that actually has strong yaw mobility.

Just as kind of a gimmicky ship.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They should make a ship that actually has strong yaw mobility.

Just as kind of a gimmicky ship.

Would love to see a couple of vertical ship designs that are yaw/roll oriented. Although I don't remember any ships from the lore being vertical shaped.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Romes128 posted:

So im in an eagle and can kill stuff no problemo (except for the larger ships of course). I'm just supposed to fly around looking for bounties? Cause I've been going from station to station in different systems and I'm either getting really low payouts or nothing I can do at all cause I'm just starting out. Any advice?

I am guessing killing for money is the way you want to play. Don't just fly around. Look for 'resource extraction sites', which you find in metallic planetary rings. Scan ships that show up, anything that's wanted - take it out. If it looks really tough, wait for the cops to help.

Get a kill warrant scanner too if you can fit it & scan targets before killing 'em for a bit more money. And don't forget to cash in at a station every now and again - you die, you lose it all!

If you're really brave (in an Eagle anyway) you could try a combat zone. You'll definitely get more fights-per-minute, and whilst the payout is worse, you will gain combat rank faster, which opens up better paying combat missions, and they can be good money once you get to be competent+.

Chrysophylax posted:

It's not a terribly effective fighter, but it's nigh unkillable and really loving fun to fly, it moves like it doesn't weigh 1400 tons

Oh come on. And it *is* effective, just not a fighter.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Romes128 posted:

Find places called Resource Extraction Sites and go to regular ones and Low Intensity ones with that Eagle; having a Kill Warrant Scanner is a plus.

RESs are in the rings of planets, so find a ringed planet and you should find a res

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Ugrivirii is my favorite system for RES

* Has Hi, Low, and Haz
* One station is .3 LS from a Hi
* Pretty close to the Kamadhu system which I use as my home base

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

xiansi posted:

I am guessing killing for money is the way you want to play. Don't just fly around. Look for 'resource extraction sites', which you find in metallic planetary rings. Scan ships that show up, anything that's wanted - take it out. If it looks really tough, wait for the cops to help.

Get a kill warrant scanner too if you can fit it & scan targets before killing 'em for a bit more money. And don't forget to cash in at a station every now and again - you die, you lose it all!

If you're really brave (in an Eagle anyway) you could try a combat zone. You'll definitely get more fights-per-minute, and whilst the payout is worse, you will gain combat rank faster, which opens up better paying combat missions, and they can be good money once you get to be competent+.

Oh come on. And it *is* effective, just not a fighter.

Professor Bling posted:

Find places called Resource Extraction Sites and go to regular ones and Low Intensity ones with that Eagle; having a Kill Warrant Scanner is a plus.

RESs are in the rings of planets, so find a ringed planet and you should find a res

Thanks. I was going into conflict zones and able to take out a few fighters, but would get killed before I was able to jump out by the big ships.

Didn't know about the resource extraction sites, I thought those were for mining. Also thanks about the kill warrant scanner. I'm trying to read through the guide to learn about all the equipment and stuff, as well as the OP and the private servers thread. It feels like learning X3AP all over again.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

* Has Hi, Low, and Haz

Nu Tauri's pretty good as well, with a station inside the rings of a planet with a normal RES and a HAZRES. Parmitano usually has good equipment and it's a Li Yong-Rui system so you also get 15% off outfitting there.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Romes128 posted:

Thanks. I was going into conflict zones and able to take out a few fighters, but would get killed before I was able to jump out by the big ships.

Didn't know about the resource extraction sites, I thought those were for mining. Also thanks about the kill warrant scanner. I'm trying to read through the guide to learn about all the equipment and stuff, as well as the OP and the private servers thread. It feels like learning X3AP all over again.

Learning is the best bit.

Seriously, if you are flying & shooting things in an Eagle (that you will soon be upgrading), and just getting to grips with how it all works, this is as good as the game gets.

You'll be a bitter veteran moaning about nerfs before you know it. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What situations and builds are viable for a Silent Runner?

I made a Diamondback Scout Silent Running Build with Cannons to make it a sort of stealth bomber but I really can't find situations where that's actually useful. I don't really have the means to reduce a target's shields or lock someone down.

I think one of the issues is how vaguely I understand stealth mechanics. It's not clear at all how Signature vs Heat works without trial and error. Does firing weapons reveal you automatically? Will I ALWAYS be visible in supercruise or am I absolutely revealed to everyone?

I think they could really make this work if they added a way for stealth players to actually see how effective they are. Maybe a Signature display or some other method of telling if you can be seen by other players. I don't mind being visible if they look directly at me even if they can't see me on the sensors because the whole concept beats the hell out of "PRESS BUTTON TO BE LITERALLY INVISIBLE"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

xiansi posted:

Learning is the best bit.

Seriously, if you are flying & shooting things in an Eagle (that you will soon be upgrading), and just getting to grips with how it all works, this is as good as the game gets.

You'll be a bitter veteran moaning about nerfs before you know it. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Yeah I'm making money to get a Cobra.

Also I ran into one person on Open Play today, in the two weeks I've been playing. I guess people are finally picking up the xbone version.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Met posted:

I think they could really make this work if they added a way for stealth players to actually see how effective they are. Maybe a Signature display or some other method of telling if you can be seen by other players. I don't mind being visible if they look directly at me even if they can't see me on the sensors because the whole concept beats the hell out of "PRESS BUTTON TO BE LITERALLY INVISIBLE"
There is a signature display. To the right, just above the fuel gauge.

Stealth is complicated. Give me a minute and I'll tell you what I know.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

tooterfish posted:

Bitchin'. I'll have to play with it.

Still though, I'm having difficulty finding combat applications for a stealth build.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

tooterfish posted:

Stealth is complicated. Give me a minute and I'll tell you what I know.

So that's what that signal line means! gently caress, today I learned.

edit: Is this a good stealth ship?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/34A4A5A3A4A3A5C2a2a2a02---2b2b292927.AwRh1Mumg===.Aw1-kA==?bn=Stealth%20Murderboat

or this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/34A4A4A3A3A3A4C2a2a292902-2b2b2b272727.AwRh1Mumg===.Aw1-kA==?bn=Stealth%20murderboat%20Mk2

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 21, 2015

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I think stealth builds would be most useful in PvP. Computer pilots are surprisingly good fighters, sometimes, but not particularly imaginative - meanwhile most players won't really expect a stealth ship, much less have the skills to deal with one. It's just not a tactic the average joe is prepared to deal with, much like missiles and torpedoes.

On a more practical note, stealthing (minimising your heat and/or signature not only makes you show ip as a sensor ghost or not at all, it also makes you unlockable. While it doesn't make you unshootable, it makes you a pain in the rear end to actually hit - particularly for the average pubbie pilot who relies heavily on gimbaled weapons. Cannons and plasma accelerators in particular are near impossible to hit with without the lead indicator, although lasers and railguns are less affected.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

I think stealth builds would be most useful in PvP. Computer pilots are surprisingly good fighters, sometimes, but not particularly imaginative - meanwhile most players won't really expect a stealth ship, much less have the skills to deal with one. It's just not a tactic the average joe is prepared to deal with, much like missiles and torpedoes.

On a more practical note, stealthing (minimising your heat and/or signature not only makes you show ip as a sensor ghost or not at all, it also makes you unlockable. While it doesn't make you unshootable, it makes you a pain in the rear end to actually hit - particularly for the average pubbie pilot who relies heavily on gimbaled weapons. Cannons and plasma accelerators in particular are near impossible to hit with without the lead indicator, although lasers and railguns are less affected.

I think NPCs are also not affected by targeting restrictions, but this would require testing.

Regarding PVP, I am guessing that this would be hard to pull off in a traditional interdiction, but would work wonders in CZs and HazRez's when you would ambush players that are fighting npc pirates.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

That's the question!

Railguns I imagine would point an arrow to where you are exactly. While cannons are similar, I think it's a lot easier to long-range fire them and then bugger out of the area.

The main problem is shield reducing. I don't think cannons are particularly effective at it. Maybe railguns would be okay in a CZ. At least you can stop firing as soon as they start to turn around to remain hidden. I don't know how much heat it would give off though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Okay, I apologise in advance for this being a bit of a rambling mess. I've typed it up quickly as I'm just about to go to bed. :)

This is the sum of what I know about stealth (some of it may be wrong):

Firstly, a distinction it's important to make is that the heat gauge measures internal temperature, not your signature. You can have high heat and low a sigmature (because you're not radiating it away, eg when silent running), or low heat and high signature (because you're generating shitloads of heat but your radiators are getting rid of it all).

The lower your signature, the nearer an enemy has to be resolve you on their scanners and get a lock on you. This doesn't mean you're completely invisible to the scanners, just that you're a fuzzy contact on them. It does mean that gimbals, turrets, missiles and even things like the cargo/warrant scanners don't work on you though.

Silent running drops your signature almost as low as it will go, but deploying weapons always raises it a bit no matter what. I think firing thermal weapons raises your signature even more, although I'm not certain of that.

You can also drop your signature by turning off modules, achieving nearly the same effects without using silent running. It's a lot more fiddly to do this though.

With silent running on and weapons deployed, you'll be "fuzzy" at about 300m out (for small ships, for large ones it's about twice that). Better sensors increase this, with I think the max being about 500m (for small ships).

I believe there is a way to go completely invisible on scanners, but it only happens when you get the icing effect on your canopy and you don't have weapons deployed. You need to use a heat sink to do this, and it doesn't last that long. It's not really something you can use in combat.

Lastly, you're always visible in supercruise. Hyperdrives use a lot of energy, so it's impossible to hide them. Railguns generate a lot of heat when fired, you might find yourself overheating very quickly in silent running.

Isinona has done stealth builds before, check out his videos. He seems to favour multicannons. Stealth in Elite is less about sneaking up and giving a big alpha, and more about making an enemy's tracking weapons ineffective.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 21, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

tooterfish posted:

Lastly, you're always visible in supercruise. Hyperdrives use a lot of energy, so it's impossible to hide them.

THAT is super lame and what's hurting Stealth builds the most for PvP application.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Met posted:

THAT is super lame and what's hurting Stealth builds the most for PvP application.
Errrr how exactly did you expect to sustain a speed of multiple times the speed of light? Row really fast?

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Gonna try this tonight:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/24A4A4A3A3A3A4C2i2i2h2h--2b2b2b272727.AwRm5SraqA==.Aw1-kA==?bn=Das%20Space%20Boot

Plan:

1) Wait in a CZ or HazRez.
2) When a CMDR shows up, turn off thrusters and wait for their shield to drop from npc fire
3) Once their shield is down, turn on thrusters, boost to them and lock them
4) FIRE TORPEDOES! (at <500m)
5) Turn on FSD and :frogout:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Yeah I'm making money to get a Cobra.

Also I ran into one person on Open Play today, in the two weeks I've been playing. I guess people are finally picking up the xbone version.

ive been seeing a few players about and even come up against them in the cz's at 3447... no one seems to be venturing out of the starter systems

actually any xbone goons who want a hand racking up cash i babysat two friends in a cz till they had cash for a cobra, happy to help others

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 21, 2015

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
If I'm fighting for anime princess for her shield, can I still do the undermining for 15/kill?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kavros posted:

If I'm fighting for anime princess for her shield, can I still do the undermining for 15/kill?
Yeah, just make sure not to do it to other imperial power ships or you'll end up losing 10 merits a kill instead of gaining 15. You can shoot Fed/Alliance/Independent ships all you want though.

I'm probably going to re-pledge to Aisling about a month before Horizons comes out but I'm going to be lazy and just move printers the week before the month ticks instead of grinding 750 merits through interdictions :effort:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So smuggling. I'm running a Cobra and I've just got enough cash to run with the Smuggler Cobra from the ship guide, but the lack of shields is making me...antsy. I flipped out a D4 Shield Generator for an extra cargo rack for an in-system jump and just about got my seat blown out from under me. Is there a trick to dealing with that? I managed to get away a second time (3 interdictions, in a row, on a 100Ls in-system hop :wtc:) by submitting, then pumping everything into my engines and boosting in a straight line for dear life, and that seemed to outrange the gravity well so that I could jump back into supercruise without the 11x delay. Is that normal or did I just get a lucky-rear end glitch?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
You actually get 30 per kill in anywhere but CZs, that's what made avril rank 5 viable until they changed interdiction and pp spawn mechanics in 1.4. So you just gotta kill 25 dudes for rank 3.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

OriginalPseudonym posted:

So smuggling. I'm running a Cobra and I've just got enough cash to run with the Smuggler Cobra from the ship guide, but the lack of shields is making me...antsy. I flipped out a D4 Shield Generator for an extra cargo rack for an in-system jump and just about got my seat blown out from under me. Is there a trick to dealing with that? I managed to get away a second time (3 interdictions, in a row, on a 100Ls in-system hop :wtc:) by submitting, then pumping everything into my engines and boosting in a straight line for dear life, and that seemed to outrange the gravity well so that I could jump back into supercruise without the 11x delay. Is that normal or did I just get a lucky-rear end glitch?

That smuggler Cobra is weird. This is the one I use, it's faster, can jump further and has better heat management than the one you linked. Less cargo space but I find that I'm never filling my cargo 100% smuggling anyway so it never seems a problem. You can also drop the fuel scoop as you'll be able to make it to any destination you are smuggling to via missions and can always just buy fuel there. No chaff, but since you are faster than anything else in the game with chain boosting it doesn't matter, your shields will hold up long enough to evade that.

As for your experience no, that isn't a glitch. When you are interdicted it can fling you way the gently caress away from wherever you are, including outside of whatever gravity well you might have been in. Since the Cobra is the fastest ship in the game* (Viper has a higher cruising speed, Imperial Eagle is technically faster under boost but only the Cobra out of these three can boost right after it's last boost meaning you maintain a higher speed for longer in a Cobra) the typical way to deal with interdictions with it is to submit, then when you drop boost away from whatever interdicted you and jump away.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Voyeur posted:

Errrr how exactly did you expect to sustain a speed of multiple times the speed of light? Row really fast?

Oh, pardon. I forgot realism trumps fun in these serious hardcore video games.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I know NPC interdictions are supposed not be a ~rewarding experience~ but it feels really underwhelming that I spent the time to kill a Fed Gunship in my Vulture to get 400 cr, which barely covers the cannon + chaff I used, never mind if I had to pop a shield cell or more.

Running away shouldn't be a better use of one's time, that's all I'm saying. Maybe the KWS grabbed something, I don't know.

DBlue135
Dec 21, 2005
I've had pretty good results with a stealth cobra taking out enemy players in a combat zone. The procedure is something like:

1) Jump into the combat zone - immediately turn on silent running and boost to 5 or 6 k out
2) Disable silent running and disable all of your modules, except for sensors and life support to 'go cold'
3) Slowly move to 2k out from the center of the combat zone - stay cold - wait
4) When a player shows up on your scanner that you want to attack, enable silent running, enable your modules, and sneak up on the player. You're still pretty invisible at this point.
5) Activate your weapons, unload on the player, destroy the player. Heat sinks may be involved. You may also want to disable silent running, fire, and immediately re-enable silent running.

I fit two medium railguns and two seeker missile launchers to the cobra

You're relying on them not seeing you coming and destroying them quickly. It also helps if you wait until they've engaged some NPCs in the combat zone. Vultures, diamondback explorers, and below are destroyable this way.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

* Has Hi, Low, and Haz

Did this since I was only a few jumps away.

Found the Internal Security Service and followed them around for a bit. Managed to make 400K in a little under an hour shooting dudes with the security service. It was pretty fun. Although they killed me once when I accidentally hit one of them. Is there a way for them not to destroy your rear end if you accidentally hit someone on your side?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Romes128 posted:

Found the Internal Security Service and followed them around for a bit. Managed to make 400K in a little under an hour shooting dudes with the security service. It was pretty fun. Although they killed me once when I accidentally hit one of them. Is there a way for them not to destroy your rear end if you accidentally hit someone on your side?

Always have another sector loaded into your navigation so that if things go south real quick, you can always high-wake out of there until the heat dies down. Jumping between systems ignores the mass disruption from larger ships, so you can always have an escape route handy even if you're surrounded by Anacondas.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Romes128 posted:

Did this since I was only a few jumps away.

Na you're boned

I've noticed that gimbaled weapons don't seem to count because I definately rocked some cannon into security a few times today and no problem

Were you doing Lo because that's a pretty small payment. Hi still has tons of cops but the trick is Bear Baiting where you find a Wanted, plink them, and boost back through greens so they activate and attack. It'll take a few seconds for them to forget you and for the love of god don't lose 3m like I did yesterday thinking I could do this against a 3 Anaconda wing because that was terrible.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Anyone got a good mid-range (i.e. 300m spend incl hull) battleconda fit? I need someone to be rational for me as i keep gravitating towards all plasma accelerator all the time

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Na you're boned

I've noticed that gimbaled weapons don't seem to count because I definately rocked some cannon into security a few times today and no problem

Were you doing Lo because that's a pretty small payment. Hi still has tons of cops but the trick is Bear Baiting where you find a Wanted, plink them, and boost back through greens so they activate and attack. It'll take a few seconds for them to forget you and for the love of god don't lose 3m like I did yesterday thinking I could do this against a 3 Anaconda wing because that was terrible.

Yeah I'm in am eagle. Doing lo for now cause I tried hi and barely made it out of an anaconda fight even with security helping.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Yeah I'm in am eagle. Doing lo for now cause I tried hi and barely made it out of an anaconda fight even with security helping.

if your the dude with the really good gamertag i added you and will give you a hand if you are still on later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Powerplay stuff sounds quite interesting, is it interesting in practice?

• Locked thread