Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It was like that episode of south park with Chef when Isaac Hayes left.

Anyway I'm glad Gold Rush is back, I like to watch children run a goldmining operation.

It's a goddamn miracle nobody lost a digit or worse yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

It was like that episode of south park with Chef when Isaac Hayes left.

Anyway I'm glad Gold Rush is back, I like to watch children run a goldmining operation.

It's a goddamn miracle nobody lost a digit or worse yet.

I think the worst accident so far was when Parker totalled his souped up pick up

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So what is Adam doing while Mythbusters is on hiatus?

Duck bombs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IniwqWIMMlw

Watching the guys build has always been my favourite part of the show and, as silly as this was, it's a pleasure to watch.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mythbusters is done. Not a huge surprise given how long it's been on and how off brand it now is for Discovery. Still, hearing Jaime talk about this is the end of the road for him and Adam working together is a little :smith:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
And thus ends the last show on Discovery, TLC, or History where the viewer might actually learn something from watching an episode.

On the plus side, at least Adam and Jamie got to end the show on their own terms, and I'm sure Discovery Communications is thrilled to have one of their flagship programs finish its run without being cancelled due to child molestation.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

azflyboy posted:

And thus ends the last show on Discovery, TLC, or History where the viewer might actually learn something from watching an episode.

On the plus side, at least Adam and Jamie got to end the show on their own terms, and I'm sure Discovery Communications is thrilled to have one of their flagship programs finish its run without being cancelled due to child molestation.

I learn plenty on shark week :colbert:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

azflyboy posted:

Are you saying there aren't any other shows on those channels that teach anything worthwhile?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Holyshoot posted:

You can only learn not to watch Shark Week once, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are you saying there aren't any other shows on those channels that teach anything worthwhile?

Unless you believe in conspiracy theories, History is basically right out. TLC is nothing but reality shows at this point, isn't it? Deadliest Catch might be only Discovery show left that doesn't lead toward pure reality drama, and even that show has slipped in recent years.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

The cynicism of network executives is a known quantity, what could you have learned?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Mythbusters is done. Not a huge surprise given how long it's been on and how off brand it now is for Discovery. Still, hearing Jaime talk about this is the end of the road for him and Adam working together is a little :smith:

That's a bummer. I thought the removal of the build team breathed some new life into the show.

But at least they got some advance warning about it and can end it like they always wanted to.

They had a hell of a run considering Adam and Jaime never really much liked one another. A less pragmatic person would have told Adam to take a hike a long time ago (or not chosen him to begin with).

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Unless you believe in conspiracy theories, History is basically right out. TLC is nothing but reality shows at this point, isn't it? Deadliest Catch might be only Discovery show left that doesn't lead toward pure reality drama, and even that show has slipped in recent years.

It's not even the deadliest job in the world since they changed the rules in the mid 2000's. Still a loving really hard job but hardly as deadly as it used to be.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mraagvpeine posted:

If you watch the shows on TLC, you will learn that there is a 95% chance that you are better than the people on the show on TLC that you are watching. Also you get to eventually learn which cast member is a pedophile.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I see...

Anyway, I remember someone somewhere said that they really wanted to see the MythBusters and Bill Nye team-up for an episode. I don't think it's going to come true now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

I see...

Anyway, I remember someone somewhere said that they really wanted to see the MythBusters and Bill Nye team-up for an episode. I don't think it's going to come true now.

I'd like to see him and Adam team up at least. Even for a special thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToastyPotato posted:

Unless you believe in conspiracy theories, History is basically right out.

Say what you will about the scripted bullshit, Pawn Stars does feature actual history and facts.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

Say what you will about the scripted bullshit, Pawn Stars does feature actual history and facts.

Someone should do an experiment to measure the brain damage done watching the non-historical portions vs. the knowledge gained from the brief educational segments.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Someone should do an experiment to measure the brain damage done watching the non-historical portions vs. the knowledge gained from the brief educational segments.

the more chumlee you see the more brain damage you incur.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

PostNouveau posted:

They had a hell of a run considering Adam and Jaime never really much liked one another. A less pragmatic person would have told Adam to take a hike a long time ago (or not chosen him to begin with).
In the linked interview it sounds like Jamie was the one who actively disliked making the show but he had all the crew and facilities.

IRQ posted:

I really used to enjoy Pawn Stars has really gone to poo poo with the fake Chumlee antics and scripted bullshit. I liked how Adam subtly called it out by name.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I remember that time a producer tried to make Mythbusters drama and had the build team electrocute Adam and then Adam fired that producer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAcMqWLBK8U

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

In the linked interview it sounds like Jamie was the one who actively disliked making the show but he had all the crew and facilities.

That's how it's always been. Jamie sold the show without Adam, and the pilot is just Jamie making the rocket car. But he realized he was too off-putting to do the show alone and went out and recruited a guy he actively dislikes, but who's good on camera, to be his partner. They managed to keep it together for 14 drat years.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

You're right, I automatically read that as "more pragmatic" instead of "less."

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Why would Adam be the one to drop? He seemed like the most normal one of the two.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jamie has zero charisma but can design anything while Adam was willing to do whatever wackiness they needed. There's no way the show would have worked with one or the other.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

Why would Adam be the one to drop? He seemed like the most normal one of the two.

I could see Adam being the one to drop because I've always felt dealing with Jamie for more than a few hours would drive most people insane.

That said, though, I don't think there was anything dramatic at play, or specific things which caused the show to go away. It was a long running show whose popularity has been dropping from its height.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Adam probably realizes he could make a lot more money with a lot less effort on Youtube.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Photex posted:

Adam probably realizes he could make a lot more money with a lot less effort on Youtube.

His one day builds on the utub are far more entertaining than mythbusters. Wish he had a better channel than the tested guys though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I could see Adam being the one to drop because I've always felt dealing with Jamie for more than a few hours would drive most people insane.

That said, though, I don't think there was anything dramatic at play, or specific things which caused the show to go away. It was a long running show whose popularity has been dropping from its height.

I agree; they have done everything imaginable that is possible to do without stepping on advertiser/sponsor/marketing toes, and they are not getting any younger. Hyneman hits 60 next year, and at least for me it has been evident for some time that he is no longer the "build like brick shithouse engineer" he used to be depicted as.

Since they really cannot debunk any product or product line-specific myths because of legal reasons, they might as well quit while they are healthy and still relevant, since doing shows has to be stressful and hard work.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I learn plenty from Ancient Aliens.

I see something on there, I think "that's bullshit," then I look up what the actual facts are.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It's sad news, but not at all unexpected. The real disappointment is that they didn't reboot the show into its current format years earlier, the last two season halves were outstanding and much higher quality than the the bunch of extremely producer-manipulated years previous to it. "WARNING: SCIENCE CONTENT" still makes me lmao

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 24, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jusupov posted:

His one day builds on the utub are far more entertaining than mythbusters. Wish he had a better channel than the tested guys though.

I've only just discovered those and they're a heap of fun.

I could definitely watch Adam's enthusiasm and skill for a long time yet. And now he doesn't have to limit himself to Mythbuster's formula.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I swear there will be man tears shed when Parker's grandpa passes away he just seems like a genuine great person

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Photex posted:

I swear there will be man tears shed when Parker's grandpa passes away he just seems like a genuine great person

I just fast forward those scenes. I want to watch idiots lose equipment in mud and ice, not sad stories about peoples gramps.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Parkers grampa owns

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The contract part. It makes sense they needed to do a larger cut, the super cut lol. Tony already knew about it too.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
My other favorite Discovery show started last night, Canada's Worst Driver. It's great!

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
anyone been watching "pacific warriors" ? I am really digging the show. I don't care about fishing, kayaks, hawaii, or people fishing for large fish in hawaii using kayaks but the show is beautiful and really entertaining.

It is also one of the most hilarious back and forth segments where a guy who has never fished on the big island of hawaii decides to come ask the grandmasters of fishing there where to go. They tell him to go off of a pointe near a supermarket and he spends all day kayaking "super stoked" and finds nothing. The next day he heads over to their spot and is pulling all his stuff out of his truck and explaining how there is an unwritten rule about fishers and how they all want to help each other regardless which island they come from.

One of the guys comes on shore and says "Im going to say this nicely, but you have 10 minutes to get the gently caress out of our spot" and he was just confused thinking they loved him.

It looks real dangerous but the cinematoraphy is breath taking!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Gotta get my dredge working, to do something no one does anymore.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Adam Savage made an imgur post about his last day on Mythbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Potentially good news on the subject of idiots nearly drowning in the antarctic ocean!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/30/asia/japan-whaling-research/index.html

First Mate Pubestache posted:

"If Sea Shepherd comes across criminal activity, then our history speaks for itself. We will, as always, directly intervene to prevent that crime from taking place," said Captain Peter Hammardstedt.

• Locked thread