Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bluedeanie posted:

I think Nesquick makes a chocolate milk that is decent but very pedestrian. True manchild connoisseurs enjoy a nice frosty glass of Burbach's Countryside Dairy chocolate milk when watching UFC, or perhaps even a bottle of Oberweis.

Oberweis is some top-shelf chocolate milk.

When the Seoul show happens, Reebok is definitely going to put DPRK on Bendo's jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

LobsterMobster posted:

Duffy vs Poirier off due to injury

Smolka/Holohan is the new main event

:lol:

:rip:

quote:

Having learned that Duffy received a strike to the head during training earlier this week, UFC sent him for medical tests in Ireland for precautionary purposes. The results determined that Duffy suffered a mild concussion and due to the proximity of the fight this Saturday UFC will not permit him to compete. The health and safety of UFC athletes will continue to be the top priority for the organization. As such, UFC has respected standard athletic commission regulations, which recommend a medical suspension from competition as a result of the concussion.

Hope he didn't get TJ Granted too.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

magnifique

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

Oh gently caress it all. That poor card.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Getting word that Neil Seery's boss needs him to work a double shift at the docks, he might be off the card, too.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

@MikeBohnMMA posted:

There's now been 34 UFC main or co-main event changes (that's right, 34) to the UFC schedule so far in 2015. Unbelievable

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

This is the nadir. I cannot think of a show with less starpower.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fuckin hell.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LobsterMobster posted:

Getting word that Neil Seery's boss needs him to work a double shift at the docks, he might be off the card, too.

Haha, so glad I missed tickets for it now.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

LobsterMobster posted:

lol

UFC should offer refunds to that event. And if Rothwell did turn down a late replacement opponent, even a lovely one, then Dana is really going to hate him for making Paddy Holohan the main event (even though Paddy owns, but that's the worst main event I've seen I think).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

lol

UFC should offer refunds to that event.

arielhelwani posted:

Per the release: "Fans seeking ticket refunds as a result of the main event changes can do so through Ticketmaster at the point of purchase"

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the luck of the irish continues unimpeded

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the luck of the irish continues unimpeded

irelands luck is collectively concentrated into conor koing aldo so duffee just has to wait.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

fatherdog posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/656949468001120256]

Ticketmaster's response:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

These GDT op's write themselves sometimes.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
RIP international expansion.

If only instead of trying to do EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE there was a b-league that the UFC could farm off poo poo tier shows to so they didn't dilute the brand. Bring back the WEC and run low name level events (international or otherwise) under its name. Boom, that idea's free, hire me.

I guess it comes down to the value of the UFC name. Is it more valuable to have the UFC name to market lovely events and draw people into lovely via name recognition, or is it better to save it for prestige events and preserve the brands strength but possibly lose name recognition/customers by farming out low-tier events under a different name?

I mean, they already try to do that via Fight Night vs. PPV, but the quality of TV and PPV cards is so highly variable that PPV is not an indicator of a quality card, and TV fights range from "moderate name recognition" to "who the gently caress are all these Brazillians".

Of course there's no incentive to change if they're still making money, but anecdotally the casual fans I talk to these have the narrative of "I wish the UFC had real stars like Chuck Liddell again, I don't know any of the fighters any more." The brand seems like it's pretty clearly reached it's maximum saturation point. I mean some of that's on people being dumb and not paying attention, but there's just too much going on for the not obsessive fan to keep track of anything, and there's no longer a guarantee that a person tuning into something labelled UFC will see anyone that they recognize.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 21, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/656949468001120256]

Good. It's cool that if you look at the recent cards UFC has finally had to offer refunds for I think it goes: Rich Franklin vs Wanderlei Silva II, Demetrious Johnson vs Chris Cariaso, Ronda Rousey vs Cat Zingano, and now Paddy Holohan vs Louis Smolka. Sweet company. Maybe one of those guys is a future hall of fame champion and UFC should probably do some last minute marketing as such.

And apparently Dustin Poirier turned down a main event with Norman Parke. Bummer.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Poirier would be dumb as gently caress to take the Parke fight on such short notice

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Bubba Smith posted:

And apparently Dustin Poirier turned down a main event with Norman Parke. Bummer.

I look forward to Dan Lambert being declared a loving sport killer and a weirdo.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

if only UFC would make this happen I would buy a lifetime subscription to Fight Pass

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

-Atom- posted:

Poirier would be dumb as gently caress to take the Parke fight on such short notice

This reasoning I have to hear. In my opinion Poirier would cream him and I'm betting Poirier could essentially name his price to take the fight.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Marching Powder posted:

This reasoning I have to hear. In my opinion Poirier would cream him and I'm betting Poirier could essentially name his price to take the fight.

Parke would throw Porier up against the fence probably and that'd be the end of it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

if only UFC would make this happen I would buy a lifetime subscription to Fight Pass

That would be cool as hell

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

Conor really does own.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

-Atom- posted:

Parke would throw Porier up against the fence probably and that'd be the end of it

Is Norman Parke that good? He is hard for me to get a bead on, although I suppose Poirier has been prone to underperforming in the past.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I think Porier would thrash Parke with a training camp but having to switch game plans on such short notice against a guy like Parke would be ill advised, I think

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

Is Norman Parke that good? He is hard for me to get a bead on, although I suppose Poirier has been prone to underperforming in the past.

Parke is about as good as the last two guys Poirier flogged imo

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
How the gently caress do you get hurt the week of the event you are headlining? Isn't training done at that point, and you are just going light to stay in shape?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It was most likely a freak accident rather than they were doing heavy sparring. TriStar are a pretty good gym right?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

-Atom- posted:

a guy like Parke

He might be literally the least dangerous fighter in the division. Certainly the worst guy whose name I recognize. Poirier has his flaws but I don't see any that would keep him from KOing Parke in the first.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I know UFC would never risk UFC 194 like that but I wonder who's the worst opponent UFC could find for Conor to get him on that card. Like an Anderson/Bonnar situation but way less game than Bonnar, but just as much of a "I wanna see some cool poo poo happen from a guy I love watching" squash match. UFC could go from giving ticket refunds to raising ticket prices even if Conor fought a cardboard box if they got him on the card.

Northjayhawk posted:

How the gently caress do you get hurt the week of the event you are headlining? Isn't training done at that point, and you are just going light to stay in shape?

EmmyOk posted:

It was most likely a freak accident rather than they were doing heavy sparring. TriStar are a pretty good gym right?

Look no further than Conor McGregor again to tell you all you need to know about the injury:

Conor McGregor ‏@TheNotoriousMMA 7m7 minutes ago
Must be that Canadian air.
It's fresh as gently caress over here.
Rock chins bred on this side.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

@RothwellFighter posted:

NEWS FLASH Joe Duffy has been booked to fight the winner of McGregor-Aldo, @DustinPoirier sidelined till next Sprin

Lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Heh Rothwell should amp it up more. He might draw enough attention to get the winner of Cain-Werdum. loving guy is on a 3-fight win/finish streak, which after the HW exchange rate is like 7.

Make it happen.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Oberweis is some top-shelf chocolate milk.

When the Seoul show happens, Reebok is definitely going to put DPRK on Bendo's jersey.

I wanted to know what this is and am very disappointed I can't get their service here in las vegas. They have a lot of really good looking things on their website.

Lobster Mobster posted:

This is equally upsetting

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Decades posted:

He might be literally the least dangerous fighter in the division. Certainly the worst guy whose name I recognize. Poirier has his flaws but I don't see any that would keep him from KOing Parke in the first.

i seriously can't see why poirier didn't ask for 100k bonus and then go out there and flog parke. parke is technically pretty good but he's pretty much the definition of feather fisted. poirier would gently caress him up.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also lol at ben rothwell's twitter

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

attackmole posted:

RIP international expansion.

If only instead of trying to do EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE there was a b-league that the UFC could farm off poo poo tier shows to so they didn't dilute the brand. Bring back the WEC and run low name level events (international or otherwise) under its name. Boom, that idea's free, hire me.

I guess it comes down to the value of the UFC name. Is it more valuable to have the UFC name to market lovely events and draw people into lovely via name recognition, or is it better to save it for prestige events and preserve the brands strength but possibly lose name recognition/customers by farming out low-tier events under a different name?

I mean, they already try to do that via Fight Night vs. PPV, but the quality of TV and PPV cards is so highly variable that PPV is not an indicator of a quality card, and TV fights range from "moderate name recognition" to "who the gently caress are all these Brazillians".

Of course there's no incentive to change if they're still making money, but anecdotally the casual fans I talk to these have the narrative of "I wish the UFC had real stars like Chuck Liddell again, I don't know any of the fighters any more." The brand seems like it's pretty clearly reached it's maximum saturation point. I mean some of that's on people being dumb and not paying attention, but there's just too much going on for the not obsessive fan to keep track of anything, and there's no longer a guarantee that a person tuning into something labelled UFC will see anyone that they recognize.

Nobody is going to want to carry some off brand product and the UFC can't put everything on Fight Pass since they're also putting on Shooto and Invicta and Pancrase cards.

The WWE tried to do this poo poo multiple times and it never worked.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Ticketmaster's response:

Whoah TicketMaster has really toned down their gently caress you attitude if this gif is accurate.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Marching Powder posted:

also lol at ben rothwell's twitter

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It figures this is the loving fight pass free card too.

• Locked thread