Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mugabe
Dec 4, 2012

I have died many times. I have actually beaten Jesus Christ because he only died once.

LaSalsaVerde posted:

It has Zoroastrian influence, but it also has equally significant Christian, Gnostic, and Buddhist influence.

So no not really

At one point Manichaeism spread from the Eastern Roman Empire to China and was seriously rivaling Christianity in some areas in popularity. Then it fell apart because of the Muslims. I may not be right about a few things, but I think that roughly covers it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Which mod was it that added traits for life stages? Like young people had higher health than old people and stuff and babies were likely to die but had higher diplomacy because babies are cute.

Because thatīs obviously something that should just be in the base game. There being no real difference between a newborn baby and a 10 year old kid is a bit silly.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Which mod was it that added traits for life stages? Like young people had higher health than old people and stuff and babies were likely to die but had higher diplomacy because babies are cute.

Because thatīs obviously something that should just be in the base game. There being no real difference between a newborn baby and a 10 year old kid is a bit silly.

CK2+ used to have that, but it got removed when the team did that complete overhaul of the codebase a while back.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
When is the ilkhanate supposed to arrive? The Mongol Empire announcement hit in 1209 but it's 1223 in my game and Temujin's just sitting there with 90K troops after taking a few provinces in Cumania. Is this punishment for not buying Horse Lords, or do I need to console over to him and force him to invade Turkestan?

edit: Seems he has gently caress-all for prestige.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 20, 2015

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

EightDeer posted:

CK2+ used to have that, but it got removed when the team did that complete overhaul of the codebase a while back.

It got removed because the base game patched it in.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Strudel Man posted:

There is or was a mod that added homozygosity level traits, to track just how inbred someone was. Though ultimately it allowed total inbreeding without penalties once you got a few generations in, as 100% homozygosity got you the "purebred" trait, where you had no more chance of inbred appearing from close-kin marriages with other purebreds. It also guaranteed passing on of genetic traits, if both parents have them; essentially it represents the kids being genetic clones of the parents.

So basically this?

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Been playing this again recently. Two quick questions:

Firstly, is there any way to cut down on the insane slowdown later on in the game? I've been watching a few hands-off games from 769 (fiddling with lighter mods and wanted to see their long-term effects), and they get excruciatingly slow after the first couple centuries. In 1090 it's something like a minute for two months, whereas when I start it's like three times as fast.

Secondly, are there any mods that reduce how frequent/powerful/effective crusades are? It's really lame to watch the Umayyads back-and-forth over Aquitaine for a couple centuries because the AI always calls Crusades whenever Toulouse falls and always wins them, and then also watch the Umayyads (or their successors) get completely annihilated in 1000 or so when the first Crusades can finally be called and they're instantly dogpiled by the entirety of Europe.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cycloneman posted:

Been playing this again recently. Two quick questions:

Firstly, is there any way to cut down on the insane slowdown later on in the game? I've been watching a few hands-off games from 769 (fiddling with lighter mods and wanted to see their long-term effects), and they get excruciatingly slow after the first couple centuries. In 1090 it's something like a minute for two months, whereas when I start it's like three times as fast.

Buy a better computer. Beyond that, no.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A new dev diary, with talk about the QA team. And Dynasty View can now extend into sub-realms.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 20, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

A new dev diary, with talk about the QA team. And Dynasty View can now extend into sub-realms.

CK2 Dev Diary: We really like the game and sometimes we even play it!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

McGavin posted:

Yeah, I mean, it's nice to hear what QA does for CKII but this could've been a blog post or something. These "dev diaries" are so very, very :geno:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Yeah, the EU4 ones are much better.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Latest CK2 DLC: QA Lords of Paradox now on sale on Steam!!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DrSunshine posted:

So basically this?

More or less, yeah.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I guess they don't have much exciting to show this week. Tbh, the idea of weekly Dev Diaries seems a bit short to me; shouldn't it take a bit longer to make stuff worth showing off?

Also in my Uyghur game, one of my vassal khans converted to Zunism. That's got to be like, the easiest way to get the Empire of the Sun cheevo possible, even more so than the Abbasid one.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I guess they don't have much exciting to show this week. Tbh, the idea of weekly Dev Diaries seems a bit short to me; shouldn't it take a bit longer to make stuff worth showing off?

Also in my Uyghur game, one of my vassal khans converted to Zunism. That's got to be like, the easiest way to get the Empire of the Sun cheevo possible, even more so than the Abbasid one.
Nah, the Abbasid way is easier, since they can convert based on capital province religion, while nomads can't.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I don't know, maybe you should try not to constantly desire more. Life is dukkha.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 20, 2015

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, the Abbasid way is easier, since they can convert based on capital province religion, while nomads can't.

Yeah, but if you're just going for the achievement, you can settle and then immediately convert once you own all the holy sites and have the piety. And it's a lot easier to play a nomad, especially once you get the ball rolling.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
As king of Sicily I just created a merchant republic in a backwater single tile duchy in croatia and it loving prints money!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

McGavin posted:

QA ain't exactly thrilling work. They already shared their great hilarious bug anyway (Greeks checking whether to torture everyone every day), past that there ain't much to say. I've never heard too many thrilling QA stories before really. "Oh, I played this one section of the game mindlessly for 5 hours, repeating processes in slightly different ways until this thing broke" is most of the work from what I understand.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Are all the larger font size mods out of date or something? The two I found on Steam Workshop aren't working at all for me. I even signed up and registered my CD key just to access Paradox's bullshit mod subforum, but the one I want seems to be hosted on a dead link. Default text size is just nigh unplayable :negative:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I assume the CK2 team wanted to do non-DLC diaries since the EU4 team did, unfortunately none of them are as good at writing as Wiz/Johan (or if they are they don't want to write them.)

But the alternative is no diaries (or teasers) until the DLC is close enough for previews so it's dumb to complain.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I'm under the assumption that the current expansion is too unfinished to start writing fully fledged dev diaries about, but Paradox has been trying to shoot for weekly dev diaries regardless of whether there is an expansion or not. They're trying to give us some kind of content, but they can't really tell us about what they're doing yet so they're kind of stuck in a lovely place where the most they can do is post screenshots and talk about how they work on the game.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Do you get piety from installing King Bishops?

Because my scholarly Priest-Hater king just made a bishop king of Scotland and I should probably get something for this. Bad idea? Yeah probably. But I couldn't resist the :ironicat:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

So I'm in Ireland messing around with Tanistry for the first time and I'm a bit confused. I just conquered a county from the ua brians but i got the warning about succession because a ua brian is set to inherit it via tanistry law.

I can't tell if this is a bug or weird succession law. It seems kind of ridiculous if its working as intended since it means all my conquests are going to inherit out as soon as I die.

Edit: Nevermind, just needed to wait a week for the game to realise I have the title.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 21, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone else noticed that culture conversion for a character via their guardian is completely fruitless since Horse Lords? I just spent 100 years tutoring every male family member as either Mongol or Hungarian, and not one has converted. Now both of those cultures are basically extinct and I can't do poo poo about it. Sucks really bad.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are you a nomad? Nomads can't culture convert period.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yeah, that's supposed to be the big rub with nomads. They can't culture convert in any way, but by razing an entire continent they do, however, completely displace the local culture there in the blink of an eye. Especially if they choose to settle within a realm.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are you a nomad? Nomads can't culture convert period.

No, norse republic. I've had the same issue with multiple different cultures and government types in different games when trying to switch. I've tried multiple cultures in the Altaic group, but none of those seem to work, and I can't imagine it's any better with any other cultures. As soon as Horse Lords came out I was stoked that there would be a Mongol character in 769, and I wanted to make a Mongol republic. Of course, Horse Lords patched out Mongols being able to use the invasion CB as anything other than Christian, which just puts them on the same tier as any other Altaic culture, but now I can't even get the invasion CB as a pagan because I can't convert culture at all! Sucks rear end. Coming up with convoluted religion/culture combos and going for those was my favorite thing to do in this game, and now it's basically gone because the only way to reliably convert is to find a county with your desired religion or culture and make it your capital. Before it seemed about 1/3 that a character tutored by a guardian with a different culture would convert. Now it's like 1/20, if not an outright 0% chance, because I have yet to see it happen.

Edit: Many of these tutors are in my court, so they aren't nomadic either. They're feudal mongols that will tutor 10+ feudal/republican children from 6 years old to 16 over the course of their lives, and convert none of them.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 21, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The tutor has to be landed in order for culture conversion to work.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

McGavin posted:

As of Horse Lords? It didn't used to be like that. And I've sent kids to clan leaders with no luck either, but that's sketchier because most start points are too distant to interact with the Mongol guy in the far northeast. If true, I suppose my only hope would be to send a retinue to gently caress off Mongolia and raid poo poo until they started catching male Mongols that I could land.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

McGavin posted:

More specifically, the tutor has to have the same culture as the person whose court they are living in (if they are landed, this person is themselves) to convert a ward to that culture. This has been the case since at least Rajas, possibly earlier.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure that's of like Rajas actually. It's been a long time now.

e: f;b :argh:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I see. Never encountered that issue before because I used to just send my kids to Magyar or Avaria or whatever to get them to convert. It's a lot different with the Mongols because they're so distant.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Ah, I see. Never encountered that issue before because I used to just send my kids to Magyar or Avaria or whatever to get them to convert. It's a lot different with the Mongols because they're so distant.

Yep, just start landing some of them, and you'll get tons of culture conversions.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SeaTard posted:

Yep, just start landing some of them, and you'll get tons of culture conversions.

Meh. Kind of a waste of time since the benefit of being Mongol is gone. I'll just go back to Hungarian and Altaic cultures I'm not too distant to interact with.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SeaTard posted:

Yeah, but if you're just going for the achievement, you can settle and then immediately convert once you own all the holy sites and have the piety. And it's a lot easier to play a nomad, especially once you get the ball rolling.
A little risky, since settling overwrites province religion. You'd have to settle somewhere other than the actual province you want to convert from, and then hope that it's given to you when you break away from the horde and isn't converted as well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought I would just have a fun game as Lombardy, under the thumb of the HRE, trying to steadily build up into Italy, but then the last king died and I somehow became emperor, and my ruler's still only 34, so he's got plenty of time to rule left. I didn't even know I was up for the title, the emperor's son was listed as my rival and I had to kill him, but that was only self-defense to stop his plot to kill me. Could I get some advice on how to manage the HRE? For some reason my demesne limit shrunk when I took the title, too.

Also, now I've got these weird retinue troops standing around that I can't just disband, any primer on how to manage those?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Possible bug I just learned about : You can't transfer counties, at least to non-nomadic vassals, if they do not have a county capital holding. You can transfer duchies just fine, and the baronies in that duchy using "Include Lower Titles", but not the counties. I'm not sure if it's a problem for non-nomadic governments, but it's causing issues for me since a vassal merchant republic wants a couple counties that are their de jure vassals, but since they already control all the baronies, I can't even revoke one of those titles to make it the capital. On the other hand, this does explain why just handing out duchies didn't work as well as I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

Possible bug I just learned about : You can't transfer counties, at least to non-nomadic vassals, if they do not have a county capital holding.

Who holds the titles to the counties now? I'm pretty sure that counties always have a capital holding, even if it is a temple or a city.

• Locked thread