Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Supehero comics: still a pretty disgusting place to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also not only is Wally West considered derivative, Barry Allen is too. And I'm not sure the creator of Jay Garrick is around to get paid for the recent episodes since he isn't derivative.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

X-O posted:

Also not only is Wally West considered derivative, Barry Allen is too. And I'm not sure the creator of Jay Garrick is around to get paid for the recent episodes since he isn't derivative.

Jesus Christ. Barry Allen being considered derivative is pretty hosed up, considering how much money he's probably going to be pulling in for the company over the next few years. Does that whole thing have anything to do with the Superboy rights case from several years ago?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why would you not consider Barry Allen to be derivative?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

Jesus Christ. Barry Allen being considered derivative is pretty hosed up, considering how much money he's probably going to be pulling in for the company over the next few years. Does that whole thing have anything to do with the Superboy rights case from several years ago?

I don't have a link handy and I'm posting from a phone, but google Gerry Conway's post about derivative works from earlier this year. Again I think they called and made nice with him because he went public about it, but it's an interesting read.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really liked Wentworth Miller's read of his whispered apology to Barry after Colden Father shot him. Just the right amount of sincerity. And Peyton List has really good chemistry with the actor playing Cisco, they're a cute couple.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

I don't have a link handy and I'm posting from a phone, but google Gerry Conway's post about derivative works from earlier this year. Again I think they called and made nice with him because he went public about it, but it's an interesting read.

http://gerryconway.tumblr.com/post/117619743363/who-created-caitlin-snow-on-theflash-according

Wow.

He mentions Superboy briefly here:

quote:

This was the tortured logic National Periodical Publications tried to use back in the 1940s when Siegel and Shuster sued National for the rights to Superboy. National (the company that preceded DC) argued that Superman was the original creation, which Siegel and Shuster sold to National, and that Superboy was just a “derivative” creation. A court-appointed legal referee found that Superboy was in fact a unique creation and that National was guilty of copyright infringement. Sadly for Siegel and Shuster (and for creators everywhere), legal expenses forced the creators to sell National the rights to Superboy in a consent decree that obscured this fundamental finding. But the finding is pretty clear:

Characters “derived” from other characters are legally unique, and DC’s claim that “derivation” deprives creators of any equity participation rights in those characters is nothing more than an immoral, unethical, deceitful and despicable money grab.

It wasn't the case I was thinking since it is much older by 60 years, but it was more directly related.

The breakdown at the end is :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC changed their policy because of the bad press but since that several characters have been added to DCUTV with altered names so they flat out do not have to pay anyone. Like the above Jay Jackson and Mr Terrific on Arrow having a new first name.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like that they made the new TV Mr Terrific gay even though I realize they probably did that so voters would not see him as a threat to Olicity and thus immediately distrust and dislike him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

greatn posted:

I like that they made the new TV Mr Terrific gay even though I realize they probably did that so voters would not see him as a threat to Olicity and thus immediately distrust and dislike him.

He never said he was gay, just that he had a husband. He could still be bi and derail the Olicity ship.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Whatever, being married also makes him a non threat on that front, although I don't want to disrespect any of you who may be polyamorous.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Rhyno posted:

DC changed their policy because of the bad press but since that several characters have been added to DCUTV with altered names so they flat out do not have to pay anyone. Like the above Jay Jackson and Mr Terrific on Arrow having a new first name.

That level of corporate rules lawyering double speak is almost funny.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I need to catch up on Arrow, I watched the first episode and Thea's delight in being Speedy was adorable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SirDan3k posted:

That level of corporate rules lawyering double speak is almost funny.

It get's better, they won't pay out for a derivative character, and they won't pay out the creator of whoever it's a derivative of, because it's not their character. Like say you invented Space Lad, and it was a huge success, eventually you stop writing it and Bob Jones takes over and introduces Space Gal who's even more popular. DC makes a Space Gal movie, you don't get money because you didn't invent Space Gal, and Bob Jones doesn't get money because Space Gal is a derivative of Space Lad.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

And yet Len Wein claims he's seen way more money from Lucius Fox than he ever has from Wolverine. What exists had to be fought for tooth and nail and we still have this situation. Rights and royalties are complex, confusing and despite in the end only creators seem to lose.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 22, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Is the situation at Marvel worse or better then? Or the same?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As far as anyone knows it's the same at both Marvel and DC. You don't automatically get paid and you have to do the homework for each use of your creations in order to get paid and even then they will try avoid paying. DC reversed their position on Killer Frost because of the bad PR in the end but this won't be the end of it. You'll notice that many of the new characters being brought into the DCTVU will be creations of Geoff Johns who just so happens to be an Executive Producer. And when they bring in established characters expect them to have enough changes so that the creators can be paid less.

ToastyPotato posted:

Ed Brubaker got a screen credit and a check for Winter Soldier but he didn't say how much. Marvel sold a fuckload of WS trades last year so he probably got a good stack of royalty checks as well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Didn't Dixon say something about getting more for Bane royalties than anything he ever did for writing comics?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Didn't Dixon say something about getting more for Bane royalties than anything he ever did for writing comics?

I believe he also said he made more money off the first time Bane was in a film because of the volume of toys that sold back then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Technically worse because they don't even have a policy, but they probably end up paying just as many people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I thought the situation at DC got worse as they fired Paul Levitz as President and he had a policy of paying creators.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Very positive new Jessica Jones review from MTV:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2356176/jessica-jones-spoiler-free-review/

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought the situation at DC got worse as they fired Paul Levitz as President and he had a policy of paying creators.

Yeah, Levitz was good for creators. It's believed that he blocked any Watchmen sequels from happening during his tenure, for example. Jenette Kahn was reportedly creator friendly too.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 22, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Levtiz may have forgotten how to tell an interesting story but he was a paragon of creators rights. It's hilarious that the second he was gone they announced Before Watchmen.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

I believe he also said he made more money off the first time Bane was in a film because of the volume of toys that sold back then.

Didn't he also create the character with licensing in mind so he owns the character rather than DC? Or something similar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

Didn't he also create the character with licensing in mind so he owns the character rather than DC? Or something similar.

He does have some sort of unique contract but I don't recall. And he unfriended me on Facebook so I can't ask him directly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sounds awesome. Glad to hear positive words about it before it drops.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Levtiz may have forgotten how to tell an interesting story but he was a paragon of creators rights. It's hilarious that the second he was gone they announced Before Watchmen.

If they wanted to upset him, why couldn't they have done something like reprint the Legion of Super-Heroes stuff he's meant to have blocked from being collected? :v:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watching arrow. Totally forgot Mr Terrific was going to be on this show!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The only question is if it's gonna be Holt, or Diggle that actually goes into the field with the stuff. Dig's 'costume' is a helmet with a T-shaped visor and a leather jacket that could easily take some FAIR PLAY iron-ons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Goyer has talked a little about his Krypton prequel series and it looks like this one might actually be set in the movie continuity seeing as he described it as taking place "200 years before Man of Steel."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Goyer has talked a little about his Krypton prequel series and it looks like this one might actually be set in the movie continuity seeing as he described it as taking place "200 years before Man of Steel."

He means John Byrne's MoS. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:10bux: says that at some point in the first season, Kem-El or whomever gets thrown through space time and ends up on modern day Earth where he spends the rest of the season. He will then fall in love with an Earth WO-MAN who returns to Krypton with him to become Jor-El's mother.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm really looking forward to JJ but some of those points are kinda bad, particularly #4. The DD fight scenes were amazing because they were well made fight scenes, not because it's martial arts fighting. "JJ can throw dudes" is not a particularly compelling reason to watch a show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zachack posted:

I'm really looking forward to JJ but some of those points are kinda bad, particularly #4. The DD fight scenes were amazing because they were well made fight scenes, not because it's martial arts fighting. "JJ can throw dudes" is not a particularly compelling reason to watch a show.

Jesus Christ that fight scene at the end of Episode 2 is top five fight scene ever (talking Daredevil).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zachack posted:

One of the things about JJ is that as soon as she got powers she sewed a costume and started heroing. She never trained or learned to fight so her relying on brute strength to "just throw dudes" is actually true to the comic and character.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

One of the things about JJ is that as soon as she got powers she sewed a costume and started heroing. She never trained or learned to fight so her relying on brute strength to "just throw dudes" is actually true to the comic and character.

I know, I've read Alias, but as Skwirl said, DD had some amazing fights. Like "no blinking for minutes on end" fight scenes. The article says JJ's scenes are better but the reason given doesn't really speak to the high bar DD set.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zachack posted:

I know, I've read Alias, but as Skwirl said, DD had some amazing fights. Like "no blinking for minutes on end" fight scenes. The article says JJ's scenes are better but the reason given doesn't really speak to the high bar DD set.

Well I guess we'll see in a month but I'm sure they have their reasons. Why would they want to make a show identical to DD?

Also I found out I have 89 hours of unused vacation time so I took Nov 20th and 21st off so I can binge watch without having to worry about spoilers.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nosophoros posted:

Maybe this has been subject of discussion earlier but I'm super eager for the Punisher in Daredevil's season two. Maybe just maybe it'll be a decent portrayal of the character for once!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF28ceFJJ3A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

iZombie continues to be the best tv show based on a comic.