Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ehh I'm sure it would end up creating a zero-point energy source somehow in a hilarious bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Giant sliding tile puzzles.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
That's a sexy magmaworks.

For fort design, I largely don't. My primary "design" concerns are security from outside threats and internal madness. My first few layers will have stairs down, short tunnel, stairs down, short tunnel, stairs down, short tunnel, and then central staircase the rest of the way down. I should really do this with the entire height of the fort (because of werecreatures), with lockable bridges/doors on every level, but I usually don't have time for that early on and just end up drilling straight down. Farms, beast pasturing and processing, and depot/primary storage on soil/sand. Mining on the first few levels because it's usually where my iron and coal are, shops on the first stone layer below that, shop stockpiles below that, Grand Hall below that, food/booze stockpile below that, then 5-10 levels of straight down to the bedrooms (for noise). Then either all the way down to magma, or sometimes 5-10 z-levels (depending on caverns) to make the magmaworks, and pump it up. Usually, it's easier to carve out worker housing, eateries, and stockpiles with forges at the lava layer. Those extra buffer layers also give me some room for deeper mining for gold and such without interfering with rooms.

My room aesthetic is "square" and "small" and "where I need it". Offices and lever rooms are branched off from random hallways around the Grand Hall level. Bedroom designs are dorms near the farms for processing (behind the forward barracks), then 2-3 levels of 12-room blocks to minimize long walking for the first 150 dwarves or so. It's boring, it's only minimally efficient, and the doors/gates use is pretty prison-like. I make peripheral redundancies for moods and such outside the main shop areas where work can be done that's either unimportant or temporary primary production while waiting for a failed mood dwarf to die locked in his shop.

Interestingly, I don't suffer a lot of frame death from this central/vertical design, despite no real effort on my part w/r/t efficiency. I just keep everything near the central spine.

Recently, I've tried making my initial fort even more compact and in one corner of the map, and then making a more planned and aesthetic resort fort or "refort" nearer the middle once I have the time/labor. Round rooms branching off mining veins and windows on cavern walls and all kinds of organic poo poo, but my heart's not really in it. What I really love are elaborate external and internal security, and the lack of sieges has really been a drag. :smith:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
To give some further idea of my fort design, early migrants are workers developing wealth and improving life for residents and residents to come. The vast majority of later arrivals are given steel and a can of silver spraypaint and give their lives for the mountainhome. Even in a 200-dwarf fort, maybe 50 dwarves are non-military. Everywhere are training barracks and archery ranges, and at every possible chokepoint are forward operating bases. It's easier than teaching non-military skills.

My hospital is really, really big and is usually dug out of those early mining levels.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solid Poopsnake posted:

What I really love are elaborate external and internal security, and the lack of sieges has really been a drag. :smith:

Same. It's really disheartening to spend 4-5 in game years designing elaborate trap/wall/doom systems and then get maybe 1 group of enemies and nothing else.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I got to 59 dwarves in a 5x5 plot, and it's already at 15 fps. What do you all do about this without compromising your forts? I could go 4x4, but smaller seems too small.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

UP AND ADAM posted:

I got to 59 dwarves in a 5x5 plot, and it's already at 15 fps. What do you all do about this without compromising your forts? I could go 4x4, but smaller seems too small.

I go 4x4 (or maybe it was 3x3, whichever is the default on the sitefinder screen), don't do anything elaborate with running water (i still make a giant fuckoff moat, but the water isn't moving anymore when it's full) and make good use of DfHack commands like cleanall, cleanowned scattered and the one that straight up destroys items marked for dumping, can't remember command.
But the straight up most important thing i think is to limit the amount of single items you have in your fort, i don't need stuff like 3000 drinks, 4000 foodstuffs and 5000 rock crafts. So i use the err workshop manager or something that comes with DfHack, alt+w on a repeating order. And i set it to only produce drinks for instance if they are less than 300 and only have 200 food in the fortress and etc etc etc for all kinds of things. But you're gonna get bad FPS eventually anyway.

edit: i also make sure with advanced worldgen that the underground caves are small and lovely, i try not to uncover them at all if i don't need to with their infectious underground plants and gay monsters trying to path EVERYWHERE

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 20, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

UP AND ADAM posted:

A 5x5 with lots of trees will slog along very shortly after you start the fort. That's a lot of foliage to calculate poo poo about. Cut them all down and it will probably help!

Dongattack posted:

edit: i also make sure with advanced worldgen that the underground caves are small and lovely, i try not to uncover them at all if i don't need to with their infectious underground plants and gay monsters trying to path EVERYWHERE

But those caves let you move every aspect of your fort inside! Even the meat industry!

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Kayle7 posted:

Do you guys dig screenshots? I haven't seen any here but I did want to post this one

The magmaworks of Arrugkugik :snoop:

just a followup to my designs, see i'm always thinkin a new stuff yeh

:a2m:

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 20, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Dongattack posted:

I go 4x4 (or maybe it was 3x3, whichever is the default on the sitefinder screen), don't do anything elaborate with running water (i still make a giant fuckoff moat, but the water isn't moving anymore when it's full) and make good use of DfHack commands like cleanall, cleanowned scattered and the one that straight up destroys items marked for dumping, can't remember command.
But the straight up most important thing i think is to limit the amount of single items you have in your fort, i don't need stuff like 3000 drinks, 4000 foodstuffs and 5000 rock crafts. So i use the err workshop manager or something that comes with DfHack, alt+w on a repeating order. And i set it to only produce drinks for instance if they are less than 300 and only have 200 food in the fortress and etc etc etc for all kinds of things. But you're gonna get bad FPS eventually anyway.

I'm really not close to that in terms of storage, production, etc, which is why it sucks especially. The main problem must be that 5x5 is just too decadently delightful and, as far as trees, I will just say that they're a major component of this current fort.
Also has a 10 story waterfall which doesn't help anything. It sucks because this embark location is so fun and perfect, and the game looks so good with the multilevel view.

edit: the cleaning commands have helped for now!

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 20, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm really not close to that in terms of storage, production, etc, which is why it sucks especially. The main problem must be that 5x5 is just too decadently delightful and, as far as trees, I will just say that they're a major component of this current fort.
Also has a 10 story waterfall which doesn't help anything. It sucks because this embark location is so fun and perfect, and the game looks so good with the multilevel view.

edit: the cleaning commands have helped for now!

all of those trees are a big part of it. that is a lot of trees in a 5x5!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I switched to a 3x5 with sparse trees and a dope really steep volcano that I control basically the entirety of, with a brook at ground level.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wish Dwarf Fortress would just run better. It's at a fun, playable level right now. More invasions and more FPS, that's all I want now :(

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I just cap my population and embark on a 3x3. It is more than enough space for me to do whatever the hell I like. Butcher/cage all the animals, make some sweet digs. A well designed fortress can run a lot of industry with 40 adult dwarves.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

KillHour posted:

I know staircase columns are popular, but the physical impossibility of them rubs me the wrong way. If I have a large vertical distance I want to cover in a single staircase, I either have a long flight of stairs (so one tile up, x number of tiles over per floor), a circular staircase/ramp (like the ones in adventure mode fortresses), or I'll have kind of a figure 8 shape. Like this:

Apparently spiral staircases aren't a thing in your world?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or fire stairs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Spiral staircases would be way wider than one tile (probably) and you can't enter a spiral staircase from any side. I'm very picky about my staircases making sense spatially. Also, you can make them just fine out of normal stairs in a square. Also, nobody would put multiple spiral staircases next to each other.

Actually, it's neither a ladder or a spiral staircase. It's a letter x that represents a structure that is both physically impossible and undefined. It may as well be an elevator or the magical lift thing from Star Trek.

I'm not saying nobody can use them. I'm saying I don't because they don't line up with my imagination's ideas of how a pretend creature should build its pretend home.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 21, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The X is the size of a whale (but only 1/9th of a wagon). You can fit many spiral stairs in that space.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
If I'm being fancy I just dig a spiral ramp. Back before Toady fixed up the soil not being farmable terrain bug, I simply would dig down to the third cavern layer and set up shop between it and the magma sea right off the bat, and dig a really long ramp set so the wagons could reach me down there.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My fortresses usually have some terrible, ad-hoc designs where everything feels like an ant tunnel, then I carve out giant caverns and give my nobles normal houses underground, I'll usually try to give them their own kitchens, stills, and food stockpiles. It sends a clear message to the commondwarfs that noble blood is important and cannot be bought.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

KillHour posted:

Spiral staircases would be way wider than one tile (probably) and you can't enter a spiral staircase from any side. I'm very picky about my staircases making sense spatially. Also, you can make them just fine out of normal stairs in a square. Also, nobody would put multiple spiral staircases next to each other.

Actually, it's neither a ladder or a spiral staircase. It's a letter x that represents a structure that is both physically impossible and undefined. It may as well be an elevator or the magical lift thing from Star Trek.

I'm not saying nobody can use them. I'm saying I don't because they don't line up with my imagination's ideas of how a pretend creature should build its pretend home.

If your autism is that bad, make a 3x3 box of stairs with the centre as a pillar to represent a larger spiral.

Your imagination is slightly broken

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gibbo posted:

If your autism is that bad, make a 3x3 box of stairs with the centre as a pillar to represent a larger spiral.

:goonsay: but if you're making a spiral that big you should be using ramps going around it!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Tunicate posted:

:goonsay: but if you're making a spiral that big you should be using ramps going around it!

That would be more accurate yeah. The point is it's quite easy to make something physically plausible.

On an unrelated note, I just realize why I really really want either boats or bouyancy;

Elevators. Series of pumps and floodgates and you could make a water powered floating elevator.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I usually have the centre of the column empty so I can turn it into a well if I find water underneath. Unfortunately dwarves end up dodging off the stairs and falling 100 z-levels to their doom a lot.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I used to keep a solid decorative 2x2 column in the middle but then I stopped when I realized that those impossible little imbeciles somehow managed to lose their transported seeds inside it. I'd get a mystery job cancellation and think "welp, somebody phased their grain inside the History Pillar again"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I usually leave the 1x1 in the center empty and put high quality statues there, it keeps the dwarves happy.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

GreyPowerVan posted:

I usually leave the 1x1 in the center empty and put high quality statues there, it keeps the dwarves happy.

I do that, too. It such a nice and easy way of increasing happiness.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gibbo posted:

Your imagination is slightly broken

Or maybe quit trying to force me to use a central staircase? I think they look dumb and I don't want to use them in my sandbox building game.

But no, I have autism for playing the game the way I want. :psyduck:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I think the central conceit of 'it's unrealistic' is a poor one by way of the game mechanics, is what I think people are trying to argue, even if they're doing it in a lovely way. No one can force you to misuse dwarven resources in any way but your own, obviously; me, I go with 'Kafkaesque hive' for my design about half the time. :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My argument is less that it's unrealistic (lots of things are unrealistic in this game), but that it's unrealistic in a way that I don't particularly like. I also make sure dwarves can only leave a set of stairs on the opposite side that they entered from.

I play the game to make cool architecture. The murdering alcoholics are just a bonus. I could give a flying poo poo about efficiency. All my hallways are 2-3 a levels tall because I like them to have arched ceilings for no practical reason.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

KillHour posted:

I have autism for playing the game

Correct

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So your response to a ton of industrial fatalities is to industrialize the tombstone making process? This is some OSHA violation inception or something.

Some dwarves can imagine a life of luxury and vice but in my fortresses we have quotas to meet comrade.

Edit- Seriously I wanna just make a little note here that the inclusion of automining into the game was a serious glee for me because it finally meant I could look at idlers and say "BANISHED..... to the MINES!" and have it mean something grueling and useful. Down to the iron mines with you! I smell a coal vein to be scouted.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 21, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gibbo posted:

That would be more accurate yeah. The point is it's quite easy to make something physically plausible.

On an unrelated note, I just realize why I really really want either boats or bouyancy;

Elevators. Series of pumps and floodgates and you could make a water powered floating elevator.

That would be cool if the pathing took it into account somehow.

Right now dwarves can ride in minecarts so you could potentially set up a dwarf metro system except for riding carts is treated like a work order versus a natural shortcut.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I will not be satisfied until Today lets me create futurama-style vacuum tube transportation for my dwarves

e: also suicide booths, but we kind of have those already with ☼Mystery Lever☼

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

My central column is an 11x11 circle with a large "circular" stairway inside, and space for 5 "things" (sometimes I put artifacts, usually statues). I like the look, and tons of happiness!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
How do you specifically place artifacts somewhere?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How do you specifically place artifacts somewhere?

If it's an artifact furniture, just like any other piece of furniture. If it's an item, you can designate a stockpile that only accepts artifact quality items of the specific type.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
building good quality poo poo to manage humors is an aspect that I really like of this game but there is too few pressure to do so, you just need a big dinner room with some statues and everyone is happy forever. The only real pressure to do it is for nobles' rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

necrotic posted:

My central column is an 11x11 circle with a large "circular" stairway inside, and space for 5 "things" (sometimes I put artifacts, usually statues). I like the look, and tons of happiness!

Which tileset is this?