Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Al Borland posted:

E: Like I said I think they're doing a wipe for release and then giving us CE stuff.

I didn't see anyone pick you up on this, but no, the plan is to not have a wipe before release. They said they will only do one if something really bad comes up, and the managed to fix the thing yesterday by just doing a small roll back so I think the chances of a wipe are quite slim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

raverrn posted:

I'd LOVE a Bret Questing Knight. Full plate and your choice of two-handers, some kind of gimmick instead of a ranged weapon, like a set of self-buff prayers.

He'd be constantly amazed and enamored with this huge, beautiful, glorious city and everyone else could shoot him down.

A naive Bret knight and a jaded Tilean merc would make decent additions.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

This game is so good. :allears:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Mr Beens posted:

I didn't see anyone pick you up on this, but no, the plan is to not have a wipe before release. They said they will only do one if something really bad comes up, and the managed to fix the thing yesterday by just doing a small roll back so I think the chances of a wipe are quite slim

Ah well cool either way!

Also I cry erry time steam goes offline :smith:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah, no planned wipes. Unless something goes cataclysmically wrong, worse than what we had yesterday with the loot server exploding.

Chances are, we're good to go on friday. Wonder if they'll 'release' at 12:00 UTC and we can get the new maps earlier.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Broguts posted:

A naive Bret knight and a jaded Tilean merc would make decent additions.

Not fancy enough.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

So when Total War Warhammer comes out, they should totally do a cross promotion with Vermintide: Skaven race for Total War, Orc and Blood Dragon mercenaries for Vermintide as new characters.

You can get away with putting a Vampire in Vermintide, just make them an aspiring Blood Dragon. The strongest Blood Dragons are insanely deadly to the point of dueling Bloodthirsters, but everyone has to start somewhere.

A Lahmia residing in Ubersreik turning some non-soldier individual that night in response to the vermintide is a better solution. A totally fresh Lahmia would probably be weak/not evil/human-looking enough at that early stage to make them acceptable. Even a novice blood dragon would be crazy powerful compared to everyone else.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not fancy enough.

I was just coming back to amend my post with this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not fancy enough.

They know Science specifically so they can base their fencing style off the latest in geometry and trigonometry, and their school demands they narrate their own fights to describe to their opponent exactly why it's mathematically impossible for him to win from his position.

Diestros are the exact right kind of ridiculous.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Night10194 posted:

They know Science specifically so they can base their fencing style off the latest in geometry and trigonometry, and their school demands they narrate their own fights to describe to their opponent exactly why it's mathematically impossible for him to win from his position.

Diestros are the exact right kind of ridiculous.

I think it'd end up like that one guy from game of thrones and the mountain except with a rat ogre.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
New map is awesome. Game is awesome.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
They have made the bots completely idiotic now, I haven't been able to get through a single sewers but the tower worked fine for some reason.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Yeah this new map is really cool. I like that they're not afraid to get weird, gets my hopes up for future missions.

Sewers was a really bad idea to include among the first impression levels, sewer levels give off an impression of imagination bankruptcy.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
While true, it would be kind of strange to fight Skaven and not at some point go into the Sewers, just to flirt with death.

I love the Wizard tower and the fact the Consumables also ignore gravity.

Also had a fun moment of "Get to the stairs" "What stairs?" "The stairs at the back" "We're in a forest!" "NO WE'RE NOT"

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Sure, I can see the logic in having a sewer level, but maybe let it be one of the 10 9 levels not featured until release. Like, where's that swamp at? Swamp level looks spooky as all heck.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Fans posted:

While true, it would be kind of strange to fight Skaven and not at some point go into the Sewers, just to flirt with death.

I love the Wizard tower and the fact the Consumables also ignore gravity.

Also had a fun moment of "Get to the stairs" "What stairs?" "The stairs at the back" "We're in a forest!" "NO WE'RE NOT"

One of the grimoires in the tower is at the top of an escher-style staircase that you have to jump up, and then open a door which is on the roof. It hangs there in space above you and I had to jump to grab it. Wizard Tower is wonderful.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Trier posted:

Sure, I can see the logic in having a sewer level, but maybe let it be one of the 10 9 levels not featured until release. Like, where's that swamp at? Swamp level looks spooky as all heck.

The swamp level was already tested in an earlier beta. They are making the levels available that are most in need of testing, not trying to play out some grand opening sequence.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Joined a goon game, we decided to visit the mage tower.

We entered the storefront and a rat ogre spawned behind the hidden door, basically stuck. Then my dwarf suddenly... died. From full hitpoints. :iiam:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Steam is repeatedly making GBS threads the bed today. 4 HM lost due to it. time to take a break.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Musluk posted:

We entered the storefront and a rat ogre spawned behind the hidden door, basically stuck. Then my dwarf suddenly... died. From full hitpoints. :iiam:

Wizard towers, no sense of right or wrong.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Are there any green or blue hats? Only time I've ever seen hats in the loot table is in the oranges on hard.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I realized I needed new friends when I told them Vermintide was very good and they said it looked boring because Left 4 Dead was only fun for 5 hours.

Anyway rolling a 2 when you get 3 tomes and 2 grims is particularly frustrating. I keep getting greens in hard and it's making it hard to gear up for nightmare. :(

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Elpato posted:

Did wizard tower just now. One grimoire is in The Hall of Mysteries when poo poo gets all sideways. It's up a sideways staircase. You have to jump up every stair.

Also, the Rat Ogre is a loving nightmare in this map. If vertical drops are your thing, Wizard's Tower is for you.

Another one is during The sideways bit, before you drop down to be teleported to outside the tower, to your left there will be a gap with a chest on it, drop down then drop down again to go back to earlier in the level and keep going

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Another one is during The sideways bit, before you drop down to be teleported to outside the tower, to your left there will be a gap with a chest on it, drop down then drop down again to go back to earlier in the level and keep going

Really? If that's the case, one of the grimoires has a randomized location because I found one in a room down one of the corridors in the intersection just after the second tome. It was just sitting on a pile of books, the room had a strange green glow inside.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

They should probably do two things to making gearing less random: First, let you pick which item you get at the end of a run from among those that you qualify for (so, if you roll perfectly you can pick any of them). Second, implement an option on the Forge to reforge ONE and ONLY ONE of the enchantments on an item. If you get a weapon with one sub-par enchant, you can reroll that poo poo for a cost. If it's got two, pick the one you like the least, but the other one stays.

Right now my biggest issue is that every piece of gear is random as gently caress in both acquisition and enchants. If they rectify that somewhat, it would make losing connection at the end of a map somewhat less frustrating.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gonkish posted:

They should probably do two things to making gearing less random: First, let you pick which item you get at the end of a run from among those that you qualify for (so, if you roll perfectly you can pick any of them). Second, implement an option on the Forge to reforge ONE and ONLY ONE of the enchantments on an item. If you get a weapon with one sub-par enchant, you can reroll that poo poo for a cost. If it's got two, pick the one you like the least, but the other one stays.

Right now my biggest issue is that every piece of gear is random as gently caress in both acquisition and enchants. If they rectify that somewhat, it would make losing connection at the end of a map somewhat less frustrating.

Post that on the steam forums or something

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
There is little worse than overrolling for something you really wanted to get something you had no interest in.

Say getting a blue hagbow instead of a green conflag staff.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Probably a bigger chance for them to catch it in the official forums, that's where I've been posting my feedback

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Treating gear like some sort of test to get into the next difficulty tier like some sort of WoW raiding scheme might not be exactly what they were aiming for, at least I hope.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Gonkish posted:

I'm a big fan of the first idea, I'd much rather have a green or blue rapier than an orange hammer/hat. Not so much the second, as I think that is a conscious decision to keep the loot wheel spinning.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Musluk posted:

had a rat ogre spawn on us in the 4x10 foot hallway with a poison glober and assassin on the other end.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

BadLlama posted:

Treating gear like some sort of test to get into the next difficulty tier like some sort of WoW raiding scheme might not be exactly what they were aiming for, at least I hope.

Im still using a silver sniper rifle on the mustache man and its godly for 1 shotting big boy skaven.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The gear isn't OP and it doesn't make you a better player.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dezztroy posted:

Really? If that's the case, one of the grimoires has a randomized location because I found one in a room down one of the corridors in the intersection just after the second tome. It was just sitting on a pile of books, the room had a strange green glow inside.

You're both talking about the same one. The first one is in the little hallway before the hall of mystery, the second one is up the sideways staircase.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

There are three

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think my biggest bummer right now is everyone seems to know exactly what they are doing.

Like, the joy of these games in many ways is learning them. So far every Magus Tower I've done has had the Bright Wizard telling everyone over voip where the tomes/grimoires are, leading us around, and killing all the rats before we can even hit them.

It makes the whole thing boring. I want a slog uphill learning the mechanics along the way!

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Gear and trinkets help give you leeway for mistakes or bad luck, but no amount of gear will carry you through a level. One less hit to kill a monster means it has less chances to hit you, but unless you know how to shuck and jive, block and counter that one hit wont turn it around.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Rookersh posted:

I think my biggest bummer right now is everyone seems to know exactly what they are doing.

Like, the joy of these games in many ways is learning them. So far every Magus Tower I've done has had the Bright Wizard telling everyone over voip where the tomes/grimoires are, leading us around, and killing all the rats before we can even hit them.

It makes the whole thing boring. I want a slog uphill learning the mechanics along the way!

Consider playing on hard.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Trier posted:

Consider playing on hard.

I've still yet to beat the Magus Tower, and am level 2. I have a feeling I'd hold people back, especially since they'd still know how the level is supposed to go, while I barely do.

That fixes my problem, but it makes me a problem for the group!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I've still yet to beat the Magus Tower, and am level 2. I have a feeling I'd hold people back, especially since they'd still know how the level is supposed to go, while I barely do.

That fixes my problem, but it makes me a problem for the group!

The loot stuff means that most randoms are gonna be trying to do it with all those secrets and as fast as possible. I'd advise against doing that if you're trying to learn the level, you can do it alone with the bots or your buddies to sniff out mysteries and learn the layout.

• Locked thread