Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fruity Rudy posted:

Washington Post:
‘Supermajority’ of House Freedom Caucus to back Paul Ryan’s speaker bid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...61dc_story.html

Breitbart:
"AT LEAST 75 PERCENT OPPOSED: FREEDOM CAUCUS LIKELY TO NIX PAUL RYAN’S SPEAKERSHIP BID"
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/21/at-least-75-percent-opposed-freedom-caucus-likely-to-nix-paul-ryans-speakership-bid/

What is going on here?

Brietbart is dumb as poo poo and their source is one of the holdouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If this could cause a divisive rift in their caucus that would be amazing. You get a weak Speaker and you get one of the worst caucuses tearing themselves apart. Then you have Donald Trump as the GOP Presidential Candidate. At that point I think Harry Reid will reveal his true form and ascend.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!

evilweasel posted:

Brietbart is dumb as poo poo and their source is one of the holdouts.
If the conservative news outlets are getting this dead wrong it's going to send their rabid fanbase into apocalyptic fits when it's revealed Ryan is taking over and the vote is coming. Expect something like a scene out of the city council of Yonkers in 'Show Me a Hero.'

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Even if the motion is put forward its as bad as if it passed. The democrats will vote to save the 'sane' speaker and said speaker will be forever tainted as a democrat puppet.

Oh no, John Boehner is tainted forever. How can he hope to keep his speakership long-term?

I'm just talking about preventing the immediate default here. Nothing the nut jobs can do can cause a default, right? This whole Ryan thing is just for 2017 when the debt ceiling comes up again?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PostNouveau posted:

Oh no, John Boehner is tainted forever. How can he hope to keep his speakership long-term?

I'm just talking about preventing the immediate default here. Nothing the nut jobs can do can cause a default, right? This whole Ryan thing is just for 2017 when the debt ceiling comes up again?

Oh, yeah the debt limit will get raised. It might not get raised until a minute before midnight but it'll be raised.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LORD OF BUTT posted:

HFC = House Freedom Caucus = Raiders of the Tortilla Coast = insane teabaggers who love death
I think they're also called the suicide caucus, correct?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh, yeah the debt limit will get raised. It might not get raised until a minute before midnight but it'll be raised.
If I recall right, the last time it got close some Republicans started getting phone calls from a few of their billionaire backers saying "Okay fuckers the fun's over, rase the debt limit now because we do not want loving economic Armageddon, tell the crazies it's time to get back to reality".

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 22, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If Ryan keeps up his current impressive streak of self-awareness and political savvy he'll tell the Tortilla Coasters to go gently caress themselves if they won't agree to his rules

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JT Jag posted:

If Ryan keeps up his current impressive streak of self-awareness and political savvy he'll tell the Tortilla Coasters to go gently caress themselves if they won't agree to his rules

John Boehner weeps into his pack of Marlboros and big-gulp of Merlot.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

John Boehner weeps into his pack of Marlboros and big-gulp of Merlot.

Hopefully he's just taking pulls off the gallon jug of Carlo by now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Like if I were him I'd demand a consensus from the Freedom Caucus. That would mean at least 80% of their membership agreeing to vote for him, triggering the Caucus' rule that requires the other 20% to vote with them. That means that either, A, he doesn't take a job that will have people gunning for him from day one, or two, he takes the job, and the Freedom Caucus starts to self-cannibalize when some of those 20% inevitably ignore their rules and vote on their own. It's a success that strengthens the party either way.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

fade5 posted:

I think they're also called the suicide caucus, correct?

If I recall right, the last time it got close some Republicans started getting phone calls from a few of their billionaire backers saying "Okay fuckers the fun's over, rase the debt limit now because we do not want loving economic Armageddon, tell the crazies it's time to get back to reality".

I'd honestly be ok if Obama sent the troops in to arrest the Republicans en masse if they truly planned to throw the entire world off that cliff. The sanctity of our political system isn't really worth the staggeringly huge calamity a default would be.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Having a fallout from the Speaker vote be that the caucus starts cannibalizing itself will be a good thing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

How are u posted:

I'd honestly be ok if Obama sent the troops in to arrest the Republicans en masse if they truly planned to throw the entire world off that cliff. The sanctity of our political system isn't really worth the staggeringly huge calamity a default would be.

Have you considered the fact that having a sitting president arrest members of the opposing party for a political decision might also be a staggeringly huge calamity?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Caros posted:

Have you considered the fact that having a sitting president arrest members of the opposing party for a political decision might also be a staggeringly huge calamity?

Yes, what I'm explicitly saying is that -that- would not be as big of a calamity as a debt default.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Probably true

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Almost certainly not true. If the GOP pushes the country over the cliff, we'll have to spend months or years rebuilding depending on the scale of the fallout. If a sitting president just seized power and broke the constitution over his knee, the nation would never recover (nor would the Democratic Party).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe a little bit true

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Personally I think a civil war would potentially be a bad thing, for America

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

the plot thickens:

(from TPM)
More detail via Jake Sherman at Politico:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How are u posted:

Yes, what I'm explicitly saying is that -that- would not be as big of a calamity as a debt default.

I feel like we can avoid a debt default without, I don't know, ending the Republic. The platinum coin bullshit is far preferable to trying to replay Rome.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

eviltastic posted:

More detail via Jake Sherman at Politico:

Ryan's a chump if he takes this deal lmao

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

a shameful boehner posted:

Fallout was cool until I realized it was a buggy broken mess with horrible gameplay mechanics like all Bethesda games and not something I would ever ever want in real life

fallout being buggy is canon

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
All hail Emperor Obamastus

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Scott Forstall posted:

Ryan's a chump if he takes this deal lmao

Bbbbut they pinkie promised!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so is paul "andrew" ryan going to be speaker or have the tea party hosed everything forever?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Didn't we have this ridiculous argument about Obama arresting congressmen last time the debt ceiling was threatened?

I thought last time we made bringing it up a probatable offense because it was so stupid yet people couldn't shut up about it.

It's not gonna happen. Obama minting a trillion dollar platinum coin for every man, woman and child is far more likely.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so is paul "andrew" ryan going to be speaker or have the tea party hosed everything forever?

It depends on whether Ryan is going to make them kiss the ring or not. If he doesn't, he's a fool.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kaal posted:

Almost certainly not true. If the GOP pushes the country over the cliff, we'll have to spend months or years rebuilding depending on the scale of the fallout. If a sitting president just seized power and broke the constitution over his knee, the nation would never recover (nor would the Democratic Party).
A default could send us in Greece-style hosed up-ness, and cause a worldwide recession as hard as 1929 if not harder.

So try "decades" of rebuilding; we cheated last time with WW2.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
" Yeah we'll totally put down the gun" *Fingers crossed behind back*

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
They're not going to agree to any of his terms and take credit if he goes through with it what a maroon

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Scott Forstall posted:

They're not going to agree to any of his terms and take credit if he goes through with it what a maroon

welp

quote:

Jake Sherman ‏@JakeSherman now
BREAKING: REP. PAUL RYAN WILL MOVE AHEAD WITH HIS BID FOR THE SPEAKERSHIP.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I gave him too much credit, clearly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fade5 posted:

A default could send us in Greece-style hosed up-ness, and cause a worldwide recession as hard as 1929 if not harder.

So what you're saying is Obama should suspend elections, vacate Congress, declare marshal law and proclaim himself President for Life?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

I gave him too much credit, clearly.

Or he thinks he has the votes to make the rule changes he demanded, over the heads of the 8. He doesn't care about their yelling if they can't move to vacate the chair.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

fade5 posted:

Or it could just be a hiccup that lasts 48 hours while the RNC get told by their elite donors that if they don't square themselves then their tap is going to go dry, and the RNC starts ejecting people from the GOP. I mean the reality is that no one knows. But outside of the :tinfoil: Fallout scenarios, most likely we'd be talking about an instant recession if it lasted longer than the weekend. That would be hard, but not "decades of rebuilding" and certainly not the equivalent of kicking the constitution to the curb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It sure would be a shame if oh say 60 congressmen were too sick to show up for a few weeks.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well, Ryan is a chump after all.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The line up for the next GOP presidential debate is.... exactly the same as the last one but minus Scott Walker, who died.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Not full confirmation of what I just quoted, but close:

quote:

Paul Ryan ‏@PRyan 2 minutes ago
My statement after a meeting of the House Freedom Caucus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Nintendo Kid posted:

It sure would be a shame if oh say 60 congressmen were too sick to show up for a few weeks.

That would be funny in deed.

• Locked thread