Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I have been using the magnetic Flip Shell on my 2015 Moto G, but for some reason it makes my phone only vibrate once for an incoming call when on vibration mode, instead of vibrating repeatedly for as long as the phone is ringing. I Googled around and it seems that this is a known bug with magnetic covers in Lollipop. Is there some third-party app or tweak I can use to make it vibrate repeatedly like it's supposed to when the cover is closed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Is there a go to screen protector company? I want to order a tempered glass protector for my N6p. It'll be my first time protecting my phone and I have no experience.

Actually, I'm thinking of doing a wrap on it, assuming it may be slippery. Any solutions that don't involve grip tape that are worthwhile?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mogomra posted:

I'm not up for an upgrade, but the Nexus 6P looks pretty good. What the gently caress is wrong with me? Why would I even hypothetically consider such a big dumb phone? It's only half an inch larger than my current phone.

This is how big phone makers win. Slowly. :negative:

Four years ago when I bought my Galaxy Note with its ginormous 5,3" display people despised me and laughed at me. Who would in their right mind use such a large phone? You couldn't even put it in your pocket! Nowdays it's an average sized phone and larger phones are being released all the time. Nexus 6 and 6P dwarf my OG Note :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MC Hawking posted:

Hey guys, on the subject of security Blackberry has published an article how they're improving security on the "Priv/Venice". Looks like a bunch of good measures. link

I hope they pull through and don't go the way of HTC.

So basically they do everything every other Android does (and is required to do by compatibility requirements), it uses BES (and they'll turn those keys over to anyone who asks), and it has an app that tells you such system settings as whether developer options are on, whether the device is encrypted, and whether it's a Blackberry.

That's embarrassingly bad, but I guess when you're RIM Blackberry you long ago gave up the luxury of shame.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Does anybody know how/why it is that I have applications taking up almost double the space actually available on my phone?

I have an SD card, but that has its own area showing available space below what is shown there. I have a Galaxy S5 and am running 5.0.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does the Nexus 6p have any features like the big iPhone that help with one handed use? For example, you can double tap the home button on the iPhone and it shrinks down the screen to put things within thumb reach.

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/reachability-iphone-6/

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

FogHelmut posted:

Does the Nexus 6p have any features like the big iPhone that help with one handed use? For example, you can double tap the home button on the iPhone and it shrinks down the screen to put things within thumb reach.

Probably not, other than the power/volume buttons being moved to the middle of the side rather than the top corners where they usually sit for smaller phones.

Speaking anecdotally, I have several friends with the 6 plus and I've never seen any of them use that feature.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FogHelmut posted:

No, but a big reason the iPhone added that feature was because of how iOS app navigation is built. Most iPhone apps have a back button in the top left, whereas Android has a back button on the bottom of the screen. Also, most side menus can be triggered by swiping from the left edge of the screen.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

New Verizon phone stuff. Turbo 2 will have a "shatterproof" screen and they will give you $300 on a cracked tradein.

MAXX 2 is pretty much the X Play and will have a lot of customization options and "2 day" battery life.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/17/droid-turbo-2-shatterproof-maxx-2-verizon/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As sweet as the hardware looks for the Turbo 2, I can't see paying $250 over the cost of the Moto X for it along with having to take on baggage of going through Verizon's update process.

Also, 810, blech.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

LastInLine posted:

So basically they do everything every other Android does (and is required to do by compatibility requirements), it uses BES (and they'll turn those keys over to anyone who asks), and it has an app that tells you such system settings as whether developer options are on, whether the device is encrypted, and whether it's a Blackberry.

That's embarrassingly bad, but I guess when you're RIM Blackberry you long ago gave up the luxury of shame.

The sad thing is that stuff like this almost makes me forget they already stated they're going out of hardware because there is no way in hell they're going to sell 5 million of these things. In a sick way I still almost kind of want one. I wouldn't even be thinking about this if I wasn't on a waitlist for the 6P, but now that I am and probably won't get one until this dumb blackberry is released I'm scared I'm going to impulse purchase this DOA phone. :negative:

Ihmemies posted:

Four years ago when I bought my Galaxy Note with its ginormous 5,3" display people despised me and laughed at me. Who would in their right mind use such a large phone? You couldn't even put it in your pocket! Nowdays it's an average sized phone and larger phones are being released all the time. Nexus 6 and 6P dwarf my OG Note :(

I was ridiculed endlessly - every single day "How is your shoebox? Hey - hey - show everyone what it looks like when you make a phone call! HAHAHAHA!!!!" :smugdog:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nexus was advertised during the god drat Walking Dead, it ain't just a nerd phone no more.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Reverse Centaur posted:

Nexus was advertised during the god drat Walking Dead, it ain't just a nerd phone no more.

It was advertised on a comic book show...seems pretty nerdy to me.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
We are living in an age when a huge percentage of the population is going apeshit over a star wars trailer. This trailer debuted during Monday night football, and more people gave a poo poo over the trailer than the sports game.

We are all nerds. Every one of us.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TollTheHounds posted:

The sad thing is that stuff like this almost makes me forget they already stated they're going out of hardware because there is no way in hell they're going to sell 5 million of these things. In a sick way I still almost kind of want one. I wouldn't even be thinking about this if I wasn't on a waitlist for the 6P, but now that I am and probably won't get one until this dumb blackberry is released I'm scared I'm going to impulse purchase this DOA phone. :negative:

I was ridiculed endlessly - every single day "How is your shoebox? Hey - hey - show everyone what it looks like when you make a phone call! HAHAHAHA!!!!" :smugdog:

I picked up the first Galaxy Note, I was in the 99c Pizza Shop on Fifth Ave in NY, and some lady started screaming at me "LOOK AT THAT TINY iPAD" and she grabbed her friend and they both started yelling at me "IS THAT THE NEW TINY IPAD WHERE DID YOU GET THE NEW TINY IPAD." They took pictures of it and flipped out. I twas horrible.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 20, 2018

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Moto X Pure, but I have a quick question before I get it. Can apps only be installed to internal memory, or can they go on the SD card? I don't use many apps, and my biggest by far is Spotify so I can download music for those long stretches of road with no service. Just seems silly to spring for a 32 gb when I can just get a 16 and go get a 64 gb SD card.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Luminous Cow posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Moto X Pure, but I have a quick question before I get it. Can apps only be installed to internal memory, or can they go on the SD card? I don't use many apps, and my biggest by far is Spotify so I can download music for those long stretches of road with no service. Just seems silly to spring for a 32 gb when I can just get a 16 and go get a 64 gb SD card.

Not as far as I can tell. There's only an option to move pictures, videos and music to the SD card. And I don't see an option to move Spotify music either.

Edit: though I guess this will change with marshmallow and its weird "integrate SD card into phone storage" thing. But who knows when the X will get the update.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 21, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Luminous Cow posted:

Don't listen to that other guy, yes you can move pretty much any app to the SD card. It does require some housekeeping though, as every time an app updates it's reinstalled to the internal storage for some retarded reason. Also you can't move app data (aka those huge files that games download after you install them) to external SD yet.

Lollipop will have an option to combine your SD card with internal storage to make a single contiguous location.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh right, the option is under the app itself in settings. I was checking under storage for some reason.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Further thoughts later. If anyone has specific questions or camera test shot subject requests just throw it out there.

Photos of something not completely still, like slowly walking person or a dog wagging its tail or something, would be nice. Just curious to see how the sensor + software does when taking a picture of something you might actually want to capture (baby playing, dog doing something funny, etc) beyond stuff like someone posing or a building in bright light or random nerdy figurines in a dark room that every review site loves to do.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

Photos of something not completely still, like slowly walking person or a dog wagging its tail or something, would be nice. Just curious to see how the sensor + software does when taking a picture of something you might actually want to capture (baby playing, dog doing something funny, etc) beyond stuff like someone posing or a building in bright light or random nerdy figurines in a dark room that every review site loves to do.

yeah, agreed. This has been the #1 issue with the N6, and also with every Moto phone ever. Still shots look amazing, but anything that is moving in the slightest is practically impossible to get a picture of.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Still shots do not look amazing with my Nexus 6. The camera is the worst camera I've had in generations. Everything is washed out and fish eyed.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You should probably exchange it then, as that's not normal for a N6.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It works like every other n6. If you think the camera is good you don't have high standards (which is fine, but let's not call it amazing).

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

It works like every other n6. If you think the camera is good you don't have high standards (which is fine, but let's not call it amazing).

my n6 takes pretty solid still shots.

as with all Moto phones though, the issues come with any sort of movement.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Is that moto phones or phones in general? I have an iPhone 6 and we recently got a puppy. Taking a good picture of that little ball of fur can be really hard because she is constantly moving. Doesn't help that she has black fur and the lighting in our house isn't exactly great, but i always take 3 or 4 pictures before I get a good one that isn't fuzzy.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CancerStick posted:

Is that moto phones or phones in general? I have an iPhone 6 and we recently got a puppy. Taking a good picture of that little ball of fur can be really hard because she is constantly moving. Doesn't help that she has black fur and the lighting in our house isn't exactly great, but i always take 3 or 4 pictures before I get a good one that isn't fuzzy.

Yeah, I think it's common, but with the bigger sensor in the new Nexus phones, I was curious if it seems at least subjectively easier to get a decent photo of moving things.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Reverse Centaur posted:

It's currently ranked as the 14th best camera. On a year old phone. The majority of the ones above it are newer, and should be improvements of it.

I've never seen a fisheye effect personally or in a posted shot, but it does tend to overexpose (which you can see nicely in the Ars review with 5/5x/6P/6/iPhone 6+ shots).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Reverse Centaur posted:

There were numerous Nexus 5X commercials during the Lions/Bears NFL game last weekend, and I would guess during whatever game followed too. They seem to actually be trying to get people to buy this one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ihmemies posted:

I still think these large phones look ridiculous, but you don't really have much of an option nowadays.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I must be a masochist because I just signed up for more spam from Blackberry RE: the Priv.

On the sign up page, at the bottom before you submit it has a check box for "I am committing to buying 10+ devices for my organization" :kiddo:

On a related note, purchase price at Rogers ( :canada: ) is $400 CDN/2 year term or $800 outright.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/10/21/blackberry-priv-rogers-reservations-canada/

and pre-ordering likely to start this friday.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/10/21/blackberry-will-likely-open-priv-pre-orders-this-friday/

Help me

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Compared to my iPad, I don't like the fingerprint sensor on my 5X. It feels awkwardly placed, and I have trouble getting it to read sometimes. Nothing major; I just feel they could have done better.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

dpbjinc posted:

Compared to my iPad, I don't like the fingerprint sensor on my 5X. It feels awkwardly placed, and I have trouble getting it to read sometimes. Nothing major; I just feel they could have done better.

Huh that's the first negative impression I've read of the fingerprint sensor. I'm curious to see how well it works for me since Homeland Security have told me my prints are very worn and hard to read.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I really like the fingerprint sensor. It's exactly where I want it to be, and really accurate for me. Phone is unlocked before I manage to finish picking it up.

edit: I do find the cable stubborn when plugging or, especially, unplugging.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

spoof posted:

edit: I do find the cable stubborn when plugging or, especially, unplugging.

I concur. This is my only gripe about the phone so far, but haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
After being told they'd hold my 5X at Fed Ex (shipped to a 10 year old address from Google Wallet [?]), I got a notification today that it was delivered.

After calling Google multiple times, I finally got it resolved: I'll get a refund and make a new order. Which is exactly what I didn't want to have to deal with.

What a pain in the rear end, considering I didn't trigger this chain of stupid events.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
My fiancee has a Moto X Verizon Developer's Edition on T-Mobile. She decided to listen to the phone and installed an OTA software update that took her to 5.1 (I think) and it totally broke her phone. She used to be able to get 2 days on a single charge and now the Android OS is eating up battery and her phone is dying in less than a day. It's also hot to the touch - clearly the phone is working to do something. This is not really an acceptable thing for her since she's a doctor and needs to have her phone working when she's on call. I tried Googling and saw lots of posts about the Jellybean update totally taking a poo poo on the Moto X but no clear solution. Any input that may resolve this, outside of rooting her device and installing a new OS (not ideal either for her)?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nocal posted:

After being told they'd hold my 5X at Fed Ex (shipped to a 10 year old address from Google Wallet [?]), I got a notification today that it was delivered.

After calling Google multiple times, I finally got it resolved: I'll get a refund and make a new order. Which is exactly what I didn't want to have to deal with.

What a pain in the rear end, considering I didn't trigger this chain of stupid events.

Did you not check the "ship to" address when you checked out? How is them shipping to the address you clicked through their fault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Did you not check the "ship to" address when you checked out? How is them shipping to the address you clicked through their fault?

I ordered a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5, both shipped to the correct address. They shipped my phone to an address I didn't even remember, let alone type in, that I haven't had anything delivered to in 10 years.

When I called, they told me that there will be a long wait to talk to the shipping department. The shipping department told me that they're having a lot of issues surrounding this.

I asked that it be held at Fed Ex, and it wasn't.

If you can explain to me why it used an address from an ancient Google Wallet purchase, and not from a more recent purchase, I'll accept that it's my own stupid fault.