Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly I was expecting the ending of Resurrection F to really suck but in practice it worked okay. Vegeta still got to be rad, he just needed Goku's help. That's kind of a running theme of the movie- they're both strong on their own, but they need each other to be unstoppable.

He needed Goku's help because otherwise the world gets blown up is insanely stupid and for a running theme it sure only has any real meaning at one part of the movie since Vegeta's effectively sidelined and Goku doesn't actually need his help nor vice-versa to beat Freeza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It's fun having Goku on the sidelines, using his superior battle skills to comment on some fight that's going on. He's dumb most of the time, so seeing him be smart in his area of expertise is an interesting turnaround. It's too bad that doesn't really happen very much after Dragonball, since the fights are in situations where if Goku is there, he has no excuse not to be fighting.

It's been awhile since I watched the Cell stuff, I can't remember how much Goku commentating that had.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

He needed Goku's help because otherwise the world gets blown up is insanely stupid and for a running theme it sure only has any real meaning at one part of the movie since Vegeta's effectively sidelined and Goku doesn't actually need his help nor vice-versa to beat Freeza.

The point was because of their individual flaws, they both hosed up at critical points, just in different ways.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

The point was because of their individual flaws, they both hosed up at critical points, just in different ways.

I know what the point was, it's just poorly handled is what I'm saying. Both of them had the villain dead to rights and the only reason anything went poorly is because of stupid contrived laser ring and Freeza ragequitting, which are terrible ways to show they hosed up at all because both are not within their power to stop unless they were supposed to gangbang him from the start and then there's no movie.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

I know what the point was, it's just poorly handled is what I'm saying. Both of them had the villain dead to rights and the only reason anything went poorly is because of stupid contrived laser ring and Freeza ragequitting, which are terrible ways to show they hosed up at all because both are not within their power to stop unless they were supposed to gangbang him from the start and then there's no movie.

Goku could've stopped the ring by not being a laid back dumbass and killing Frieza quicker and Vegeta could've avoided the planet blowing up by not being too slow about how he did it and killing Frieza quicker.

It's got nothing to do with gangbanging and everything to do with when you've got the loving shot take the loving shot

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the team up thing is never really addressed and seems more of a set up for a future movie or maybe early groundwork for super. Because even taking into account how F died they really weren't working as a team.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Goku could've stopped the ring by not being a laid back dumbass and killing Frieza quicker and Vegeta could've avoided the planet blowing up by not being too slow about how he did it and killing Frieza quicker.

It's got nothing to do with gangbanging and everything to do with when you've got the loving shot take the loving shot

Why the gently caress does the laser ring work on Goku who is omnipowerful god as far as Freeza's tech is concerned? That is an actual stupid thing considering the dude has been hit by far worse. I like how you bring up Vegeta not killing him faster when literally nothing about the situation changed and Goku coming at Freeza somehow put Freeza in the exact same place you're accusing Vegeta of. It is not the movie reprimanding Vegeta for not killing him sooner because Vegeta didn't do anything wrong, it is the movie trying to punish Goku because he didn't kill Freeza sooner so it can make its dumb point on Goku's character. Freeza didn't do anything wrong by DBZ logic when he just freezes up as Goku dives at him and it's treated as if Goku learned a lesson, so Vegeta actually played no role in his own punishment because that is not about him.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah the team up thing is never really addressed and seems more of a set up for a future movie or maybe early groundwork for super. Because even taking into account how F died they really weren't working as a team.

Yeah, this is what I figured it was. The team up thing does not play a large part of the movie, because the movie is half an advertisement for super and half up its own butt.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Baal posted:

Why the gently caress does the laser ring work on Goku who is omnipowerful god as far as Freeza's tech is concerned? That is an actual stupid thing considering the dude has been hit by far worse. I like how you bring up Vegeta not killing him faster when literally nothing about the situation changed and Goku coming at Freeza somehow put Freeza in the exact same place you're accusing Vegeta of. It is not the movie reprimanding Vegeta for not killing him sooner because Vegeta didn't do anything wrong, it is the movie trying to punish Goku because he didn't kill Freeza sooner so it can make its dumb point on Goku's character. Freeza didn't do anything wrong by DBZ logic when he just freezes up as Goku dives at him and it's treated as if Goku learned a lesson, so Vegeta actually played no role in his own punishment because that is not about him.

Whis specifically calls Goku out earlier in the movie about how he is too overconfident and lets his guard down constantly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I know. I'm not saying the movie doesn't say that, I'm saying the movie is full of poo poo by saying that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm not saying the movie doesn't say that, I'm saying the movie is full of poo poo by saying that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTIFoqoYj20

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Clear proof that Krillin is the strongest human. He can injure Super Saiyans with mere rocks!

Suck it Tien.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Now see that's just rude, the guy is sleeping.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit I just wanted an excuse to post that because it is my favorite joke in DBZ.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Squallege posted:

Guys your missing the genius idea of Champa's guy. Hear me out it's Goku. But he's EVIL! He goes super Saiyan but instead of gold or blue it's red! Because he's evil! Instead of an orange gi with blue other stuff it's grey and red. Because he's evil! Red is so cool just like Shadow the hedgehog

He goes Super Saiyan because Frieza killed Krillin before he had the chance to do so himself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baal posted:

I didn't say the theme was particularly well-executed, but it's definitely there. Whis straight up says it multiple times. If either character didn't make any mistakes at all, one of them could have probably taken Frieza on his own; but because both Goku and Vegeta are flawed, they need each other to cover those mistakes.

Goku couldn't have one-shotted Frieza the way he does without Vegeta whooping on him first, and as depicted, Vegeta and everyone else would've been hosed if Goku didn't pick up his slack.

The way I initially read it in spoilers, it sounded like Vegeta just got clowned period and I was really pleasantly surprised that that wasn't how it played out.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I hope we get to see Vegeta actually fight in the anime instead of just deliver two punches and then Frieza runs out of juice.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

now that i think about it the ending to rof is even more bullshit than previously though. frieza loving earned that win its hosed up and anti-ethical to the shonen spirit of effort and victory

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

now that i think about it the ending to rof is even more bullshit than previously though. frieza loving earned that win its hosed up and anti-ethical to the shonen spirit of effort and victory

Frieza didn't earn it because he didn't actually put in the effort to master his transformation.

Dragon Ball has pretty consistently been critical of the idea that transformations alone are enough to guarantee victory.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Frieza didn't earn it because he didn't actually put in the effort to master his transformation.

Dragon Ball has pretty consistently been critical of the idea that transformations alone are enough to guarantee victory.

he earned it because he killed his opponent

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I still like that Freeza could've picked any color for his transformation but wanted it to be gold.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

a

Rudoku posted:

I still like that Freeza could've picked any color for his transformation but wanted it to be gold.

actually he just went super saiyan like videl and satan. anyone can be super saiyan if they try hard enough

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Baal posted:

Also this:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Petiso posted:

Also this:

I love that scene. It's just the culmination of all his frustration up to that point, a ki-powered "gently caress off Vegeta".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

zelah posted:

Is it just a translation issue? Latest manga chapter says there's no humanity on Champa's earth, but then he says 5 humans. Or are we to go liberal with that term and call those human looking dudes who were with frieza and maybe saiyans humans too?

The word used is interchangable with "people"; which would apply to anyone i nthe universe that is not a god, from what I understand.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baal posted:

People have posted stuff to counter you, but just to type out the reasoning; Goku's "default" durability is higher than a human and can block bullets, but that's about it. Ki works like the sliders at the beginning of a RPG where you pick your character stats, only they adjust them constantly, on the fly. If they aren't currently putting any "points" into defense, either by letting their guard down (Goku) or by putting most in speed or something (Gohan rescuing Vegeta from Cell's blast), then they're vulnerable.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I've decided I'm pretty much ready for Xenoverse 2. It comes out tomorrow right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darko posted:

People have posted stuff to counter you, but just to type out the reasoning; Goku's "default" durability is higher than a human and can block bullets, but that's about it. Ki works like the sliders at the beginning of a RPG where you pick your character stats, only they adjust them constantly, on the fly. If they aren't currently putting any "points" into defense, either by letting their guard down (Goku) or by putting most in speed or something (Gohan rescuing Vegeta from Cell's blast), then they're vulnerable.

It's dumb. It literally came from the exact same direction that Freeza was in who Goku was looking at. The idea that Goku not being on guard 100% of the time while being in God Mode somehow makes this lovely little laser work on him is really stupid and takes any sort of tension that the scene could have out, because it just makes Goku look like an idiot and not in the typical sense. Which the movie is trying to do, so congratulations on that, I guess.

-Fish- posted:

I've decided I'm pretty much ready for Xenoverse 2. It comes out tomorrow right?

I'm surprised we've gotten 0 Word on the possibilities of a sequel, but Dimps might busy right now so it's not happening any time in the near future probably.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The laser ring is extremely dumb. They can make the same point about him letting his guard down and not have it be stupid as hell by having Frieza cheap shot him with his finger laser. Have it happen while Bulma distracts him or something.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Goku had to get chumped and it had to be by a weird short alien. It was written in the great tapestry of fate.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Koala guy and crew have a machine that will regenerate a dozen pieces of Freeza into one complete with armor and underpants. Who says they can't make a laser that'll actually hurt somebody as tough as Goku? It's magic space technology who cares?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It doesn't actually take a lot to hurt people in DBZ. Krillin was able to create a technique which (barring goofy Cell filler) can obliterate dudes many many many times above his level. He could have killed Nappa with it despite Nappa being able to step on his face effortlessly and was even able to wound Frieza. Ain't no reason someone else couldn't figure out a similar thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squallege posted:

Koala guy and crew have a machine that will regenerate a dozen pieces of Freeza into one complete with armor and underpants. Who says they can't make a laser that'll actually hurt somebody as tough as Goku? It's magic space technology who cares?

It matters when the villain is beaten and you need some boring contrivance to turn the tide in his favor and extend the movie for another 10 minutes. There's a million better ways to do that scene and make your point but "Goku gets hit by lovely laser from fat freeza goon and farts and dies" is not one of them.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Should have used a sword. Should have used a copy of Trunk's/Tapion's sword regenerated from the sword atoms left in Frieza's body.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Should have used a sword. Should have used a copy of Trunk's/Tapion's sword regenerated from the sword atoms left in Frieza's body.

Just have swords popping out of Freeza's arms like Baraka

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't actually take a lot to hurt people in DBZ. Krillin was able to create a technique which (barring goofy Cell filler) can obliterate dudes many many many times above his level. He could have killed Nappa with it despite Nappa being able to step on his face effortlessly and was even able to wound Frieza. Ain't no reason someone else couldn't figure out a similar thing.

Yeah, but if it works like that you usually need to do something to emphasize that this attack does work differently than all the other ki attacks. They had the whole shebang with Nappa standing there thinking he could tank the hit until Vegeta yelled at him to get out of the way and Nappa got his cheek cut for his troubles.

The ring laser lacked any of that.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, but if it works like that you usually need to do something to emphasize that this attack does work differently than all the other ki attacks. They had the whole shebang with Nappa standing there thinking he could tank the hit until Vegeta yelled at him to get out of the way and Nappa got his cheek cut for his troubles.

The ring laser lacked any of that.

We had the setup for it earlier, when Whis sucker-punches Goku in the gut and he collapses. I'm not saying it was a perfect execution of a concept, but it wasn't out of nowhere.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Frieza also sets it up before hand. He talks to the short guy and tells him the plan.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a reason why Team Four Star keeps wasting their time doing the unfunny Final Fantasy VII Abridged over Dragon Ball Z?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Squallege posted:

Why do they need frieza then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rirse posted:

Is there a reason why Team Four Star keeps wasting their time doing the unfunny Final Fantasy VII Abridged over Dragon Ball Z?

Takahata is the one who puts it together iirc, Kaiser is the one who handles DBZA.

• Locked thread