Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Thanks for all the info, I have some sothis bucks burning a hole in my pocket and I've been wanting to give the clipper a go. Can the courier take down larger ships or should I stick to something larger as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Let me put it this way: in my Vulture, NPC Clippers are an "eh, fiiine" in a RES. I ran from one for a bit in a Courier. Still killed it, just much more tense.

My problem was probably trying to fly the Courier like the Vulture though

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Parallelwoody posted:

Thanks for all the info, I have some sothis bucks burning a hole in my pocket and I've been wanting to give the clipper a go. Can the courier take down larger ships or should I stick to something larger as well?
Courier has similar shield capabilities as the Vulture but it's got 3 medium hardpoints instead of 2 large. It's a pretty great ship for how cheap you can fit it out but it's not as good at blowing up larger ship hulls as the vulture. It has better lateral thrusters/yaw than the Vulture but its overall handling is slightly worse.

The Clipper is basically a big Vulture with a courier strapped to it and if you put A class thrusters on it it'll handle about as well as a Vulture, too. It's an absurdly large ship (nearly as big as an Anaconda) that handles much, much better than it has any right to. Slightly worse shields than a Vulture but more weapon options, internal slots and a slightly easier time fitting stuff. Vulture's a pure combat fighter, Clipper is a proper multi-role.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mercurius posted:

Courier has similar shield capabilities as the Vulture but it's got 3 medium hardpoints instead of 2 large. It's a pretty great ship for how cheap you can fit it out but it's not as good at blowing up larger ship hulls as the vulture. It has better lateral thrusters/yaw than the Vulture but its overall handling is slightly worse.

The Clipper is basically a big Vulture with a courier strapped to it and if you put A class thrusters on it it'll handle about as well as a Vulture, too. It's an absurdly large ship (nearly as big as an Anaconda) that handles much, much better than it has any right to. Slightly worse shields than a Vulture but more weapon options, internal slots and a slightly easier time fitting stuff. Vulture's a pure combat fighter, Clipper is a proper multi-role.

What's the power like? Really annoyed at the limitations of the Vulture power-wise.

e: This looks like a dude who can shoot things and not have a power issue

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/26B5A5B5D6A5D4C27271b1b0n0004042d4f5d355829272h.Iw18aQ==.MwBhrSuiyA==

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 22, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

What's the power like? Really annoyed at the limitations of the Vulture power-wise.

e: This looks like a dude who can shoot things and not have a power issue

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/26B5A5B5D6A5D4C27271b1b0n0004042d4f5d355829272h.Iw18aQ==.MwBhrSuiyA==

:science: http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...20Poison%20Dart

That will take any PvE this game can conjure up to throw at you, chew it up and spit back out credits.

Important to realize that the clipper is a weapon. When their shields are down it's 4sys 2eng and BOOOOST for the ram to knock them silly.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

That's a lot of lasers hmmm

I chose lower quality components because I can scare up 75m + insurance in relatively short order but breaking 100m is more dedication

Also you have no KWS, shame

Kind of wish there was a way to test drive ships so I can make an informed decision

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I chose lower quality components because I can scare up 75m + insurance in relatively short order but breaking 100m is more dedication

You can fit the bigger pulse lasers and move the multi cannons to the medium slot without changing anything else. If you are short on cash drop the bulkheads and extra armor and shore everything else up first.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Kind of wish there was a way to test drive ships so I can make an informed decision

The extra money from a KWS really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. More shields means less downtime means more bounty hunting, if that's what you are into and then later when doing missions or CZs you don't have that wasted slot. Gotta dance with those triple clipper wings and the like in a HazRes so you can get those big bucks and a KWS doesn't help.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

The extra money from a KWS really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. More shields means less downtime means more bounty hunting, if that's what you are into and then later when doing missions or CZs you don't have that wasted slot. Gotta dance with those triple clipper wings and the like in a HazRes so you can get those big bucks and a KWS doesn't help.
Yeah, just to reiterate that Wee Tinkle Wand's fitout will be really, really good in conflict zones which is what the Diamond Frogs do a lot of if you're involved with that stuff. It has only has 'good' shield strength (compared to the Python/FdL/Anaconda) but the sheer number of shield cell banks you can cram it full of combined with its awesome handling and speed give it really great staying power.

I'm still waffling back and forth between using a Clipper and FdL for Diamond Frogs stuff and can't make up my mind :sigh:.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I mean honestly Clipper looks good but every time I encounter one I smack the poo poo out of it. Basically anything less than an Anaconda is not a problem in my Vulture, and Anacondas are only fucks because of their sheer overall toughness.

I don't know. I could go sell my Vulture parts now, fly to Li owned space, and get the ship I picked out with a few modifications (probably way more than I picked out actually), stuff like "ok you're probably right gently caress a KWS." OTOH I know my Vulture right now is fine in Hi's except when a 'conda comes to play, in which case I just let security bang his shields off and sit back and plink with a cannon.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The iClipper is probably the best ship in the game.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Just watched that livestream about the buggy. Love the way it handles and looks. C:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
FYI, if you're looking for a station in Li space selling Clippers, Hiyya Orbital in Arjung is offloading them at about 15MCr a pop.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3jlcPe8cII Wow. My jaw dropped.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

3 posted:

FYI, if you're looking for a station in Li space selling Clippers, Hiyya Orbital in Arjung is offloading them at about 15MCr a pop.

poo poo well

Now to figure out how to get there without losing a good ship

e: This works

http://coriolis.io/outfit/sidewinder/02D2D2A1D1D1D1C----f2f22j.Iw19A===.Aw19A===

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 22, 2015

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of good deals on ships, is anyone here aware of any discounts on the Federal Assault Ship? Or is it still too new to have had enough time to obtain discounts at specific stations?
Also, do we know when new sets of paint are coming out? Since I would really like to fly a 'conda (or even something a bit smaller, like the FAS or a Python) with old WWI Dazzle camouflage. :D

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

3 posted:

oh gently caress sweet, thanks. So I don't need any rank this week to buy it? No special preconditions?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

oh gently caress sweet, thanks. So I don't need any rank this week to buy it? No special preconditions?
Nah, it's a global reward that's happened because of the CG finishing. You didn't need to participate in anything.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mercurius posted:

Nah, it's a global reward that's happened because of the CG finishing. You didn't need to participate in anything.

How long does it last?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
A month maybe? basing that on nothing else besides the previous one lasting that long (though it was ended by Hengast getting et tu brute'd.)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

iClippy thoughts

* Clipper is massive and I keep hitting poo poo I think I'd miss. I can finally orbit asteroids a bit but it took a while.
* Still power hungry with 4x lasers pouring out
* Ramming guys who are at 50% while you have full shields is in fact hilarious and effective
* Seriously thinking about swapping out my Large for multi-cannons just so I can pour damage into power plants when shields drop, which is maybe 25% of any given fight even with two mediums constantly firing. I don't mind reloads because its < 1 LS of a jump and I prefer a break so I don't do something stupid and lose a ton of turn-ins
* I have like 20m left and that feels bad

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

iClippy thoughts

* Clipper is massive and I keep hitting poo poo I think I'd miss. I can finally orbit asteroids a bit but it took a while.
* Ramming guys who are at 50% while you have full shields is in fact hilarious and effective
* Seriously thinking about swapping out my Large for multi-cannons just so I can pour damage into power plants when shields drop, which is maybe 25% of any given fight even with two mediums constantly firing. I don't mind reloads because its < 1 LS of a jump and I prefer a break so I don't do something stupid and lose a ton of turn-ins

Don't use the large for MCs, MCs only go up to medium. Use two Large beams or pulses (whatever you can afford/run) in the larges and two MCs in the mediums. That setup worked really well for me.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Gonkish posted:

Don't use the large for MCs, MCs only go up to medium. Use two Large beams or pulses (whatever you can afford/run) in the larges and two MCs in the mediums. That setup worked really well for me.

Use Pulses, beams will cap you out too quickly.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

How long does it last?
We don't know, there hasn't been anything official.

iClippy thoughts

Sadly, large multicannons don't exist. I'd personally recommend large pulses and medium multis if you're going that route. Basically, Vulture firepower but with an added bite once the shields are down.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an anaconda. I've beaten the game

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
But soon they will increase the level cap to corvette, in the hit expansion The Moonbuggy Crusade

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

I have an anaconda. I've beaten the game

Now combat fit it with A grades and mil-spec armor :gibs:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shut your goddamn mouth they can't pull me back in. Nothing can top the DFS Too Big to Uninstall
I know that the combatconda is a trick

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

frank.club posted:

Shut your goddamn mouth they can't pull me back in. Nothing can top the DFS Too Big to Uninstall
I know that the combatconda is a trick

That is a cool name guess i will make it an official Diamond Frog fleet-ship better get that poo poo tricked out son :jiggled:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's only missing a A6 fsd which is turning into a quest to find

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Traded in my Fer De Lance for a Clipper. 40mil more all together than my FDL but I enjoy it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Can confirm that Combatconda with A-rank thrusters is a lot of fun :getin:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can confirm that Combatconda with A-rank thrusters is a lot of fun :getin:

I'll get on that as soon as I actually lose my mind, for real.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

I'll get on that as soon as I actually lose my mind, for real.

Here's my build:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/...?bn=Combatconda

It isn't optimized and there's a bunch of poo poo I hardly ever use (FSD interdictor for one) but I pull out most of the components and I can still haul 400 tons of cargo. (Still the best way to get cash, IMO -- especially to start fitting out an Anaconda.)

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
So I've been swarming wanted ships with the cops in resource extraction sites (normal intensity), and it's gotten me through the beginning of the game pretty handily. It was super fast going from a sidewinder to an above-average Viper, but I feel like I'm starting to hit my first money grinding wall. I've thought about switching to high intensity sites, but last time I tried that in my Eagle it felt like it took too long to kill things, even with a bunch of police and bounty hunters focusing on the enemy. I'm sure it's faster and somewhat safer in a Viper, but I can't imagine my 2F pulse lasers and 1G multicannons make enough of a difference in killing speed to make those wanted Anacondas worthwhile.

My next goal is buying a decently kitted out Vulture and I'm at roughly 4mil minus what's on my ship. Is there a way to make money at a much higher rate with the resources I have available, or am I looking at doing a lot more bounty grinding?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Met posted:

Traded in my Fer De Lance for a Clipper. 40mil more all together than my FDL but I enjoy it.

I don't regret my iClip purchase, I just need to sort out the weapons because all beam is just too energy intensive, and it's not quick enough to Cannons Up rear end like a Vulture

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

I don't regret my iClip purchase, I just need to sort out the weapons because all beam is just too energy intensive, and it's not quick enough to Cannons Up rear end like a Vulture

Are you ramming your enemies? Ramming is a weapons w/ the iclip

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Starkk posted:

Are you ramming your enemies? Ramming is a weapons w/ the iclip

Yup I get them to ~50% and 4/2 and boost right into them

It's HILARIOUS

except when I do it against a Python who still has a little bit of shields and it becomes ~battle to the death~

I won at the expense of my canopy

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I tried looking at powerplay and it was so confusing I decided to leave the known galaxy instead. I sold my Viper and Cobra, with 1.5 mill in the bank I bought a Diamondback Scout and kitted it out with an intermediate scanner, a detailed surface scanner, no guns but a chaff launcher and electronic countermeasures (I've no idea what they do but it sounded like a good idea). It's pretty tight on power to the point that I can't power my cargo bay and my engines at the same time, but I can jump 17ly and scan stuff. I did a quick trial at scanning systems and planets so that seems to work and now I'm heading for the Perseid Nebula, go go exploring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Aramoro posted:

So I tried looking at powerplay and it was so confusing I decided to leave the known galaxy instead. I sold my Viper and Cobra, with 1.5 mill in the bank I bought a Diamondback Scout and kitted it out with an intermediate scanner, a detailed surface scanner, no guns but a chaff launcher and electronic countermeasures (I've no idea what they do but it sounded like a good idea). It's pretty tight on power to the point that I can't power my cargo bay and my engines at the same time, but I can jump 17ly and scan stuff. I did a quick trial at scanning systems and planets so that seems to work and now I'm heading for the Perseid Nebula, go go exploring!

good luck sir

• Locked thread