Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Rookersh posted:

I've still yet to beat the Magus Tower, and am level 2. I have a feeling I'd hold people back, especially since they'd still know how the level is supposed to go, while I barely do.

That fixes my problem, but it makes me a problem for the group!

Man don't worry about that, just go play on hard and gently caress it up until you stop loving it up.

Cautious progression is for chumps who don't understand that screaming in panic as you're dragged off by a polerat while your team is fighting the ogre is the way to play these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Rookersh posted:

I've still yet to beat the Magus Tower, and am level 2. I have a feeling I'd hold people back, especially since they'd still know how the level is supposed to go, while I barely do.

:allears:
go run a normal supply run.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

These are all the same room under the wizard's tower.

loving wizards.

Stormgale posted:

There are three

2 grimoires, 3 tomes.

e: gently caress, forgot timgs

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

What, you need your whole body to kill ratmen, dawri?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wizard Tower owns. Best mission so far.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Rookersh posted:

...had the Bright Wizard telling everyone over voip where the tomes/grimoires are, leading us around, and killing all the rats before we can even hit them.

I know this wasn't the main thrust of your post, but I wanted to talk about this. It seems like Wizard's Tower is a Bright Wizard MVP map due to it's focus on elevation change. On every difficulty level, you are almost always able to see the rats before they can climb up or down to your position. Someone with infinite ammo can really shine in usefulness here. I'm not even going to mention the final event, where the Fuegonasus can cover half the arena.

In nightmare, the teams that find somewhere high to wait out the swarms will have more angles for the Bright Wizard to lob fire at oncoming rats without hitting teammates.

In short, the Tower was made for Wizards. :hellyeah:

Rookersh posted:

Don't be afraid to try new things in this game. I'm still doing hard and nightmare runs with white gear on my dwarf. Just find someone that looks in control and stick with them. Be their bodyguard. If no one knows what they are doing, you are going to have a good time anyway without embarrassment.

Even if you wipe, what have you lost? Killing ratmen is its own reward.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 22, 2015

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Wizards tower is the worst with pubs. They constantly get lost and just wander off on their own even more than they do in the other missions.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
My #1 complaint about this game.

Steam goes down your run goes down.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah the steam thing has been a killer today.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Sometimes, random groups are confusing. I join Wizard's Tower for the first time with some people higher level than I am. My first thought is "Man, they know what they're doing. Grouped together, moving quick, leaving me behind almost! This is great!". We even wipe out a Rat Ogre with practically no damage taken. My only source of suspicion is that it's on Normal and they're all half life or less when I joined mid-match.

Next think I know, they're all corpses in a corner at what I assume is the end of the level while I attempt to block/poke 2-3 Stormvermin and a rat swarm to death to reach their (eventually) respawning bodies. Beat the first group, moved to their bodies, got surrounded and failed :(

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

ToiletDuckie posted:

Sometimes, random groups are confusing. I join Wizard's Tower for the first time with some people higher level than I am. My first thought is "Man, they know what they're doing. Grouped together, moving quick, leaving me behind almost! This is great!". We even wipe out a Rat Ogre with practically no damage taken. My only source of suspicion is that it's on Normal and they're all half life or less when I joined mid-match.

Next think I know, they're all corpses in a corner at what I assume is the end of the level while I attempt to block/poke 2-3 Stormvermin and a rat swarm to death to reach their (eventually) respawning bodies. Beat the first group, moved to their bodies, got surrounded and failed :(

I've kinda encountered similar groups today too. Pros when it comes to specials but let some horde scragglers flank them, or say 2 stormvermin show up and it's a wipe. I've had more resets today on normal magus tower than anything I've done on hard so far.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So is staggering a rat with a normal blow random chance or headshots? I keep not blocking because I think I am going to stagger someone and whoops got shanked

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Headshots I think from doing enough damage staggers. I get it all the time with the rapier on Saltzpyre which has headshot bonus but not as often with the axe and shield.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

randombattle posted:

Headshots I think from doing enough damage staggers. I get it all the time with the rapier on Saltzpyre which has headshot bonus but not as often with the axe and shield.

Headshots are from hitting them in the head.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ToiletDuckie posted:

No one responded when I asked before, but I THINK if you eliminate a roaming stormvermin troop before an end sequence you won't get any of them spawned at the end.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

No one responded when I asked before, but I THINK if you eliminate a roaming stormvermin troop before an end sequence you won't get any of them spawned at the end.
I don't think that's the case. Hell, I've even seen two patrols in the same level before. We killed them both and still got some during the finale on Horn of Magnus.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Skandranon posted:

Everything does more damage from hitting things in the head but weapons with the headshot trait do more damage.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bogarts posted:

Wizards tower is the worst with pubs. They constantly get lost and just wander off on their own even more than they do in the other missions.

"Alright guys, 1 per ward"

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Say hello to my little friend(s):

They shoot AoE fireballs that OHK most skaven, the traits can make it split into two fireballs also :getin:. No ammo but they have a heat resource that you can vent, but if you vent it past a certain point it does a small amount of damage to you.

Fortescue
Jul 22, 2014

Raged posted:

Yo here is a cool idea. Join the Goonintide steam group that has been posted in this thread at least 10 times. Since you know the game is on steam.

Why the gently caress are people obsessed with IRC when you have steam

Maybe if you read my post you'd discover the SECRET

(I CAN GET ON IRC AT WORK, NOT STEAM, ALSO I'M ALREADY ON IRC FOR A DOZEN OTHER CHANNELS. IRC RULES)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
IRC is stupid poo poo for people still stuck in 90's Internet land. Perhaps we should go play some MUDs too? :shobon:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

randombattle posted:

Everything does more damage from hitting things in the head but weapons with the headshot trait do more damage.

when hitting them in the head...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stanley Pain posted:

IRC is stupid poo poo for people still stuck in 90's Internet land. Perhaps we should go play some MUDs too? :shobon:

To the north there is a Stormvermin Patrol
To the East there is a Gutter Runner
To the South there is an approaching horde
To the West there is a Pubbie with a Grimoire

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Witch Hunter rapier with chance to restore health on kill is insane. Clanrats and slaves basically turn into mobile mini-healthpacks that come to you. Also got a green brace o' pistols that has like 80% chance to penetrate the target and hit the one behind. Put those two together and you just ruin normal packs on hard without a care

Also, I got a green and blue handgun for the dwarf and the green one is actually better. Permanent 50% faster reload beats a 10% chance to split the projectile and a minor heal-on-hit hance by a mile for that thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Inzombiac posted:

Man, I love the dwarf.
Playing sewers and there is a slight step down. He bellows out with glee, "THESE STEPS GO *DOWN*, HAHA!"
Kruber and the Dwarf are really competing for my favorite. Kruber has his amazing mustache, but the dwarf is loving loving every moment of this apocalypse and it's so charming.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He's a dwarf surrounded by grudges to settle and foes to cut in half. If he dies, it's a good doom. So why not have the time of his life and try to save the world?

Dwarf is awesome.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm thinking of buying Vermintide, it looks cool and it seems to have a lot of positive hype. I'm wondering if this is something I should pre-order or wait for the Holiday sale (and patches) on. For reference, I'm currently dumping my time into Witcher 3 and don't necessarily want to derail that AGAIN.

Dakammer
Apr 24, 2004
- Forum Bass Wizard -
So, anyone figured out what stats do? I have a trinket that raises my Luck by 10%, but I have no clue what Luck does. I'm assuming it's something generous with the loot tables, but does anyone have a more concrete answer than that?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AlmightyPants posted:

I'm thinking of buying Vermintide, it looks cool and it seems to have a lot of positive hype. I'm wondering if this is something I should pre-order or wait for the Holiday sale (and patches) on. For reference, I'm currently dumping my time into Witcher 3 and don't necessarily want to derail that AGAIN.

It's pretty fun right now but has a pile of technical problems.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Let it be known that at the level of 33, I have finally received a green item for leveling up. So it isn't always whites forever.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Kruber and the Dwarf are really competing for my favorite. Kruber has his amazing mustache, but the dwarf is loving loving every moment of this apocalypse and it's so charming.

Sounds like he is dwarfing the other's in your heart.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dakammer posted:

So, anyone figured out what stats do? I have a trinket that raises my Luck by 10%, but I have no clue what Luck does. I'm assuming it's something generous with the loot tables, but does anyone have a more concrete answer than that?

From what I've heard it mostly deals with items found in chests during a level, such as healing droughts and grenades. The trinket increases the chances in the same way cursed dies decrease them.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yo I can't get over that conflagration staff. The big fireball staff is second. Even though I've still got whites of those and greens of the other two I can't give up my ability to blow up a bunch of skaven in one big blast. The conflag staff is great because people can see your flame rune and tell you when to blow it, which is super helpful when you're down stairs.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I can't decide if I like the pistol belts or repeater pistol best for witch hunter. Armor penetration on every shot is so good but man that burst shot is ridiculously good for specials.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this game is pretty loving fun. Anyone else having really quiet audio though? I have mine set up for headphones and the master volume is at 100, but it is still pretty soft.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Skandranon posted:

THESE STAIRS GO UP!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Improbable Lobster posted:

To the north there is a Stormvermin Patrol
To the East there is a Gutter Runner
To the South there is an approaching horde
To the West there is a Pubbie with a Grimoire

>Use rifle on Self.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The dwarf just started going on about how he and Kruber were like two old dwarven heroes at an ancient hold, and Kruber responds with "I have no idea who those are, but thanks." while the dwarf starts singing and the elf tries to throw shade.

I love this game.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

AlmightyPants posted:

Do you mind games closing out when steam friends goes down?
Do you mind the occasional random crash? (rare)

If those don't bug ya grab it Its good, you can play a few games a day and then go WItcher 3. ALthough it is addictive and will derail you most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Night10194 posted:

The dwarf just started going on about how he and Kruber were like two old dwarven heroes at an ancient hold, and Kruber responds with "I have no idea who those are, but thanks." while the dwarf starts singing and the elf tries to throw shade.

I love this game.

Can't decide who is a bigger dick the elf or saltzpyre
They both are dicks respectively. The elf to Kruber for some ungodly unknown reason.

• Locked thread