Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, he was upset because someone said him slapping one out of his mentally retarded son was "incestuous". Doesn't incest mean sexual contact between closely related individuals? What the hell else would you call it?

Vegetable peeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
ECT is a valid treatment with multiple applications. It's not like in the movie version of Cukoo's Nest, where it's presented as a near-lobotomy and involves a vicious physical reaction.

Facilitated communication is what is truly scary. Every time you get a post on FB: Autistic boy communicates for the first time!!!

The fact is that if a person with autism isn't able to communicate with a low-tech method (PECS, signs, gestures, etc.), then they are not likely to communicate with a high tech method (iPad, laptop, etc.). This is validated by research. In this community, there are some people who are not able to, for example, point to a card to make a choice or express a want (PECS), or use signs -- and nobody knows exactly why, except that ASD is necessarily about an impairment of communication skills.

It's a natural desire for parents to think that their "real" child is "locked away" inside. However FC is as much quackery that takes advantage of families as equine therapy, dolphin therapy, chelation, fad diets, FloorTime, etc.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Being locked away in a shell of a body and not being able to communicate scares me to death. I know that is not what is happening here, but that sounds like a fate worse than hell.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So is Locked-in Syndrome real? I mean I feel like it has to be but I'm not sure of any clear examples or ones that aren't obvious FC hoaxes (except for possibly the butterfly and the diving bell guy like I mentioned earlier)

edit: N/m this guy seems pretty legit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Pistorius

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

nocal posted:

ECT is a valid treatment with multiple applications. It's not like in the movie version of Cukoo's Nest, where it's presented as a near-lobotomy and involves a vicious physical reaction.

Facilitated communication is what is truly scary. Every time you get a post on FB: Autistic boy communicates for the first time!!!

The fact is that if a person with autism isn't able to communicate with a low-tech method (PECS, signs, gestures, etc.), then they are not likely to communicate with a high tech method (iPad, laptop, etc.). This is validated by research. In this community, there are some people who are not able to, for example, point to a card to make a choice or express a want (PECS), or use signs -- and nobody knows exactly why, except that ASD is necessarily about an impairment of communication skills.

It's a natural desire for parents to think that their "real" child is "locked away" inside. However FC is as much quackery that takes advantage of families as equine therapy, dolphin therapy, chelation, fad diets, FloorTime, etc.

Equine assisted therapy has shown benefits, there's a bunch of research on it. It is therapy, though, conducted by licensed professionals with clinical goals as a part of an empirically validated treatment model, under the orders of a medical professional. It's supported by many insurance companies and the VA. Throwing a kid on a horse and riding them around a ring won't do much.

What's worrying is that there's no requirements in most states for anyone to say they're offering therapeutic riding or equine therapies, which means anyone can do it. I have heard some terrifying stories of dangerous behaviors by people who want to cash in on a trend and have no idea what they're doing. No, you shouldn't tie children to the saddle. No, if they're screaming in pain because you're forcing their legs to go over the saddle, you really should stop.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, the year is 1864. There's some conflict between the Union army and Native Americans in Colorado. A group of around 800 led by Cheyenne chief Black Kettle is eager to stay out of any fighting and -on the advice of the government- relocates to Big Sandy Creek. To make sure his peaceful intentions are known Black Kettle raises a US flag and a white flag over the camp. On the night of November 28th Union army commander Colonel John Chivington arrives and lets his men drink and celeberate for what they plan to do come morning and declared

quote:

drat any man who sympathizes with Indians! ... I have come to kill Indians, and believe it is right and honorable to use any means under God's heaven to kill Indians. ... Kill and scalp all, big and little; nits make lice.

On the morning of the 29th Chivington orders his men to attack the camp. They happily comply with only two officers -Captain Silas Soule and Lieutenant Joseph Cramer- refusing and ordering their troop to hold fire.

These quotes from the wiki article can sum up what happened next.

quote:

"I saw the bodies of those lying there cut all to pieces, worse mutilated than any I ever saw before; the women cut all to pieces ... With knives; scalped; their brains knocked out; children two or three months old; all ages lying there, from sucking infants up to warriors ... By whom were they mutilated? By the United States troops ..."
— - John S. Smith, Congressional Testimony of Mr. John S. Smith, 1865

quote:

"I saw one squaw lying on the bank, whose leg had been broken. A soldier came up to her with a drawn sabre. She raised her arm to protect herself; he struck, breaking her arm. She rolled over, and raised her other arm; he struck, breaking that, and then left her with out killing her. I saw one squaw cut open, with an unborn child lying by her side."
— Robert Bent, New York Tribune, 1879

quote:

"There was one little child, probably three years old, just big enough to walk through the sand. The Indians had gone ahead, and this little child was behind, following after them. The little fellow was perfectly naked, travelling in the sand. I saw one man get off his horse at a distance of about seventy-five yards and draw up his rifle and fire. He missed the child. Another man came up and said, 'let me try the son of a b-. I can hit him.' He got down off his horse, kneeled down, and fired at the little child, but he missed him. A third man came up, and made a similar remark, and fired, and the little fellow dropped."
— Major Anthony, New York Tribune, 1879

quote:

"Fingers and ears were cut off the bodies for the jewelry they carried. The body of White Antelope, lying solitarily in the creek bed, was a prime target. Besides scalping him the soldiers cut off his nose, ears, and testicles-the last for a tobacco pouch ..."
— - Stan Hoig

quote:

"I heard one man say that he had cut a woman's private parts out and had them for exhibition on a stick. I heard of one instance of a child, a few months old, being thrown into the feed-box of a wagon, and after being carried some distance, left on the ground to perish; I also heard of numerous instances in which men had cut out the private parts of females and stretched them over their saddle-bows, and some of them over their hats."- Lieutenant James D. Cannon

Even for the United States this was too much and both the army and Congress ordered a investigation, soliciting testimony from multiple witnesss, including Captain Silas Soule. Ultimately the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War declared that...

quote:

"As to Colonel Chivington, your committee can hardly find fitting terms to describe his conduct. Wearing the uniform of the United States, which should be the emblem of justice and humanity; holding the important position of commander of a military district, and therefore having the honor of the government to that extent in his keeping, he deliberately planned and executed a foul and dastardly massacre which would have disgraced the veriest savage among those who were the victims of his cruelty. Having full knowledge of their friendly character, having himself been instrumental to some extent in placing them in their position of fancied security, he took advantage of their in-apprehension and defenceless condition to gratify the worst passions that ever cursed the heart of man.

Whatever influence this may have had upon Colonel Chivington, the truth is that he surprised and murdered, in cold blood, the unsuspecting men, women, and children on Sand creek, who had every reason to believe they were under the protection of the United States authorities, and then returned to Denver and boasted of the brave deed he and the men under his command had performed.

In conclusion, your committee are of the opinion that for the purpose of vindicating the cause of justice and upholding the honor of the nation, prompt and energetic measures should be at once taken to remove from office those who have thus disgraced the government by whom they are employed, and to punish, as their crimes deserve, those who have been guilty of these brutal and cowardly acts."

Chivington resigns in 1865 and has trouble finding a job for the rest of his life, but other then that, is not punished. That same year, Silas Soule is murdered in Denver, likely by veterans loyal to Chivington and angered at his testimony.

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Oct 22, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

nocal posted:

Facilitated communication is what is truly scary. Every time you get a post on FB: Autistic boy communicates for the first time!!!7

Somehow it was even creepier to watch than I'd imagined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQcPsCVUHbs

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I hope everyone here gets that while FC is quackery, it's not unheard of for autistic people to be able to type but not speak. My autistic kid learned how to talk *after* learning how to read - it was reading and typing that really helped him learn how to speak. This was all when he was 3, and his speech caught up quickly, but after watching him go through that process it was easy for me to understand how a (more severely) autistic person might only be able to communicate through written language.

The original point of FC was in usage with kids who had cerebral palsy, and from what I read after reading that NYT article, it seems that something like FC is occasionally helpful for kids who have physical problems keeping their arms up while typing. Any legit case should be able to pass double-blind tests, though.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Seems like that kind of thing was pretty commonplace in British settler nations in the 19th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myall_Creek_massacre

quote:

The Myall Creek massacre near Gwydir River, in the central New South Wales district of Namoi, involved the killing of up to 30 unarmed Indigenous Australians by ten white Europeans and one black African on 10 June 1838 at the Myall Creek near Bingara in northern New South Wales.[1] After two trials, seven of the 11 colonists involved in the killings were found guilty of murder and hanged.[1]

quote:

A group of eleven stockmen, consisting of assigned convicts and former convicts, ten of them men of European extraction and one African (John Johnstone), led by a squatter, John Fleming from Mungie Bundie Run near Moree, arrived at Henry Dangar's Myall Creek station on 10 June 1838. They rode up to the station huts beside which were camped a group of approximately thirty-five Aboriginal people. They were part of the Wirrayaraay (alternative spelling: Weraerai) group who belonged to the Kamilaroi people. They had been camped at the station for a few weeks after being invited by one of the convict stockmen, Charles Kilmeister (or Kilminister), to come to their station for their safety and protection from the gangs of marauding stockmen who were roaming the district slaughtering any Aboriginal people they could find. These Aboriginal people had previously been camped peacefully at McIntyre's station for a few months. They were therefore well known to the whites. Most of them had been given European names such as Daddy, King Sandy, Joey, Martha and Charley. Some of the children spoke a certain amount of English. When the stockmen rode into their camp they fled into the convict's hut pleading for protection.[2][3]

When asked by the station hut keeper, George Anderson, what they were going to do with the Aboriginal people, John Russell said they were going to "take them over the back of the range and frighten them." The stockmen then entered the hut, tied them to a long tether rope and led them away. They took them to a gully on the side of the ridge about 800 metres to the west of the station huts. There they slaughtered them all except for one woman who they kept with them for the next couple of days. The approximately 28 people they murdered were largely women, children and old men. Ten younger men were away on a neighbouring station cutting bark. Most of the people were slaughtered with swords as George Anderson, who refused to join the massacre, clearly heard there were just two shots. Unlike Anderson, Charles Kilmeister joined the slaughter.[2]

Testimony was later given at trial that the children had been beheaded while the men and women were forced to run as far as they could between the stockyard fence and a line of sword-wielding stockmen who hacked at them as they passed. After the massacre, Fleming and his gang rode off looking to kill the remainder of the group, who they knew had gone to the neighbouring station. They failed to find the other Aboriginal people as they had returned to Myall that night and left after being warned the killers would be returning. On the party's return to Myall two days later, they dismembered and burnt the bodies before resuming the search for the remaining people.[4] The ten people had gone to MacIntyre's station near Inverell, 40 kilometres to the east, where between 30 and 40 Aboriginal people were reportedly murdered with their bodies being cast onto a large fire. Many suspect this massacre was also committed by the same stockmen. After several days of heavy drinking the party dispersed.[2][5]

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Seems like that kind of thing was pretty commonplace in British settler nations in the 19th century.

Welp, there goes my week. That's utterly horrifying.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I don't see her being sent to prison for decades as disturbing - what happened was rape, the patient didn't consent, and couldn't with the IQ of a very young child, no matter what her Ouija board said. Regardless, sexual relationships between a doctor and their patient is considered unethical, she would have known that.

Do you believe she is a threat to society? To the extent that potentially 40 years removed from it is justified? She's being charged and punished the same as a malicious predator who rapes someone to assert power over them while she's just a severely mentally ill woman who was living out some sad misguided fantasy. Is her career and professional and personal reputation being completely destroyed not a substantive punishment?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Vladimir Poutine posted:

quote:

The stockmen then entered the hut, tied them to a long tether rope and led them away. They took them to a gully on the side of the ridge about 800 metres to the west of the station huts. There they slaughtered them all except for one woman who they kept with them for the next couple of days.

I know this sort of atrocity is par for the course for that era, but oh my god. That poor woman.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Do you believe she is a threat to society? To the extent that potentially 40 years removed from it is justified? She's being charged and punished the same as a malicious predator who rapes someone to assert power over them while she's just a severely mentally ill woman who was living out some sad misguided fantasy. Is her career and professional and personal reputation being completely destroyed not a substantive punishment?

I don't believe she was mentally ill, she bought into her own hype and was projecting her own wants and desires onto another person who was incapable of expressing his own. I haven't seen anything that stated she was mentally ill or not able to understand what she was doing - that's the danger of things like facilitated communication. It's unconscious influence. The person who is facilitating genuinely believes that the person with the disability is the one communicating. With her long history of disability rights and minority rights advocacy, what kind of relationship would better enforce her worldview than one with a profoundly disabled, poor African-American man?

She's got to cling to the belief that the communication she received from him was genuine, or everything she's ever believed herself to be falls apart.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Oh noooooooooo

That's a loving BUMMER. That whole topic. Even before you scroll down far enough on the Wikipedia page to see "List of rape cases" followed by about a dozen entries

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Bonster posted:

I don't believe she was mentally ill, she bought into her own hype and was projecting her own wants and desires onto another person who was incapable of expressing his own. I haven't seen anything that stated she was mentally ill or not able to understand what she was doing - that's the danger of things like facilitated communication. It's unconscious influence. The person who is facilitating genuinely believes that the person with the disability is the one communicating. With her long history of disability rights and minority rights advocacy, what kind of relationship would better enforce her worldview than one with a profoundly disabled, poor African-American man?

She's got to cling to the belief that the communication she received from him was genuine, or everything she's ever believed herself to be falls apart.

What exactly do you consider to be mental illness if having conversations and a romance with someone else whose entire "person" is actually just imaginary projections from your own mind doesn't count.

Like if she believed a rock had a consciousness and was in love with her would you think she was mentally sound or what?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

What exactly do you consider to be mental illness if having conversations and a romance with someone else whose entire "person" is actually just imaginary projections from your own mind doesn't count.

Like if she believed a rock had a consciousness and was in love with her would you think she was mentally sound or what?

She had sex with a person who is not capable of consent. She raped him. Whether the punishment is fair, I won't comment. But she is sure as poo poo guilty.

prick with tenure
May 21, 2007

Sorry, but that doesn't convulse my being.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Somehow it was even creepier to watch than I'd imagined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQcPsCVUHbs

That is loving sad as poo poo.

edit: I thought about it a little, and I imagine the proliferation of false sexual assault accusations that come out of FC probably follows from the subconscious messiah complex a lot of these "facilitators" seem to suffer from - if the kid is being abused, I can save him from that too and get extra validation of my status of autist savior, etc. otoh, some of the things that get typed out are borderline pornographic, so people's subliminal minds being gutters probably factors in here as well. Disturbing business all around - a rorschach test the person doesn't know she's taking.

prick with tenure has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Oct 22, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

prick with tenure posted:

That is loving sad as poo poo.

edit: I thought about it a little, and I imagine the proliferation of false sexual assault accusations that come out of FC probably follows from the subconscious messiah complex a lot of these "facilitators" seem to suffer from - if the kid is being abused, I can save him from that too and get extra validation of my status of autist savior, etc. otoh, some of the things that get typed out are borderline pornographic, so people's subliminal minds being gutters probably factors in here as well. Disturbing business all around - a rorschach test the person doesn't know she's taking.

Munchausen by Palsy.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Pretty much only notable for the perpetrators getting punished. The Frontier Wars were pretty grim.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Yes, rapists are threats to society and should be locked up. She's not mentally ill, she knew having sex with an active patient is wrong because that's medical ethics 101, she knew that numerous medical associations have called FC bullshit and that it is a glorified Ouija board, so he was never giving consent, ever. I happen to know victims of rape and incest, and what they've been through, and frankly a 40 year sentence sounds like a good start.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

quote:

‘White people uphold white privilege in ways that they repress,’’ she once wrote. Even when they mean to help, they behave ‘‘in ways that are disrespectful and that undermine the self-­empowerment of the people whose space they invade.’’

quote:

In 2013, the memoirs of a Japanese teenager with autism, who is an F.C. user, were translated into English by the novelist David Mitchell and his wife, K.A. Yoshida, as ‘‘The Reason I Jump.’’

quote:

Anna brought books for him to read, Maya Angelou and others, and discovered that he read like a savant — 10 pages every minute. (She turned the pages for him.)

quote:

Two of D.J.’s fellow typers on the panel, Jacob Pratt and Hope Block, had just become engaged. They had been going on ‘‘supported dates’’ — flirting with each other through F.C., planning get-­togethers, negotiating intimacy — for about a year.

quote:

‘‘He’s an extremely ethical person — it’s one of the things that impressed me about him,’’ Anna said in court... "If somebody has an interesting, engaging mind and good heart and a beautiful soul, that is transformative. It shows through, and you love the person. And so you love being close to them, and you love the body that they’re in, because that’s the body that they have.’’

quote:

‘‘I wouldn’t have fallen in love with him if he wasn’t capable of consent,’’ she would later say in court. ‘‘I wouldn’t have fallen in love with him if he wasn’t someone interested in reading books and talking about them. He was my best friend.’’

Oh my god.

e: there's a part where he "communicates" through her that he likes locally-sourced red wine now, and doesn't like gospel music. Like my mind is still struggling to accept that this isn't a cut sketch from Chappelle's Show and is really a real thing that happened

swamp waste has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Oct 22, 2015

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

thatbastardken posted:

Pretty much only notable for the perpetrators getting punished. The Frontier Wars were pretty grim.

The execution of the Europeans who perpetrated the Myall Creek massacre led to something of a code of silence that led to perpetrators not being prosecuted or switching to methods such as poisoning that were hard to establish guilt with contemporary policing/science. I think it was actually the only massacre that went punished in convict-settled states.

South Australia was a little bit different because it was a British province rather than a convict settlement and a lot of colonial racism there was met with criticism in Britain and the otherwise racist South Australia Act required a "protector" of Indigenous people, so IIRC there were occasional prosecutions there. That said, the most famous massacre in the region, Avenue Range Station Massacre, was dropped by the court because none of the witnesses were white and massacres were often poorly policed. They were also reported in really unsympathetic language in local newspapers:

quote:

Hoar frost covered the hill all round... [On] the side of [it]... lay huddled together in a fretting mass, two reeking specimens of sable humanity. What a sight - what a picture of uncompensated, unmitigated, hopeless misery. A venerable old patriarch, pillowed on the icy grass, with his grey locks dappled in blood, forced by fierce pulmonic convulsions from his weakened lungs... His blind old lubra lay beside him.

All the covering that this frail pair could muster... was, for him, a coarse rotten remnant of a shirt; for her, a filthy abomination in the shape of a dilapidated opossum rug... Were the panacea for the suffering race... to be found in our capital, there would probably be no getting a tithe of them to partake of it.

South Australia had universal suffrage in the late 19th century so all people, including women and Indigenous Australians could vote in the 1890's which was pretty progressive for the time. Then South Australia became part of the nation of Australia in 1901 and under national law Indigenous Australians weren't citizens and couldn't vote. They didn't get the right to vote back until 1962. It might not have been the worst injustice in the history of colonising Australia but image being an Indigenous Australian who could vote and then suddenly becoming a non-citizen for probably the rest of your life.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

This is probably the dumbest thing I have ever read. Stop defending a rapist you twat.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Woodburger posted:

This is probably the dumbest thing I have ever read. Stop defending a rapist you twat.

I'm not defending a rapist you loving idiot. I'm asking if the legal system should make some kind of differentiation between legally similar but contextually very different crimes and whether or not someone who had a make believe relationship with a person who doesn't actually exist might be better served with some kind of psychiatric treatment than facing the exact same punishment as a sexual sadist who walked up to a person in a parking lot and threw them to the ground and forcibly raped them. I never said she didn't commit rape or shouldn't face punishment, just that there should maybe be some distinction between her and a violent sexual predator and currently there isn't one.

It must be nice to live in a black and white world where all bad people are equally dismissable and justice is whatever the worst the legal system can do to them is.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm not defending a rapist you loving idiot. I'm asking if the legal system should make some kind of differentiation between legally similar but contextually very different crimes and whether or not someone who had a make believe relationship with a person who doesn't actually exist might be better served with some kind of psychiatric treatment than facing the exact same punishment as a sexual sadist who walked up to a person in a parking lot and threw them to the ground and forcibly raped them. I never said she didn't commit rape or shouldn't face punishment, just that there should maybe be some distinction between her and a violent sexual predator and currently there isn't one.

It must be nice to live in a black and white world where all bad people are equally dismissable and justice is whatever the worst the legal system can do to them is.

It's good to gently caress retards.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think the mistake you're making is assuming that someone who is mentally sound couldn't still believe in a pseudoscience wholeheartedly enough to do what she did. Just because she believes in something that's proven to be phony doesn't make her mentally ill any more than people who go to chiropractors, which is also a discredited pseudoscience, are mentally ill.

And yeah, this lady could benefit from psychiatric treatment, but so could the violent parking lot rapist in your other example. Either one would still deserve to be kept away from the opportunity to commit more crimes. Either one could be mentally sound and still benefit from therapy as well.

I don't think there's any reason to assume you know whether she is mentally sound or unsound - it's highly possible she is willfully ignoring the evidence against FC and genuinely believes she is communicating with this person. That does not in and of itself make her mentally incompetent to stand trial or even mentally ill as we understand the term. In fact it makes it more likely that she would 'fall in love' with other patients in the future, if she did believe the connection she felt was mutual. In this regard she is definitely a danger to others.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

someone who had a make believe relationship with a person who doesn't actually exist

He exists. I can imagine the reasons you're discounting his personhood, but she raped a human who was unable to consent to her, and she did it from a position of power over him.

quote:

a sexual sadist who walked up to a person in a parking lot and threw them to the ground and forcibly raped them. I never said she didn't commit rape or shouldn't face punishment, just that there should maybe be some distinction between her and a violent sexual predator and currently there isn't one.

I think you are pretty confused about rape. It is not usually a violent rape by a stranger. In fact, that's somewhat rare, in the grand scheme of things.

Though overall I agree that prison should be less about retribution and more about treatment.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crazy fan-fiction women projecting their desires onto coma victims. It's such an obvious conclusion I'm surprised it's not considered from the onset.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Travis343 posted:

I think the mistake you're making is assuming that someone who is mentally sound couldn't still believe in a pseudoscience wholeheartedly enough to do what she did. Just because she believes in something that's proven to be phony doesn't make her mentally ill any more than people who go to chiropractors, which is also a discredited pseudoscience, are mentally ill.

And yeah, this lady could benefit from psychiatric treatment, but so could the violent parking lot rapist in your other example. Either one would still deserve to be kept away from the opportunity to commit more crimes. Either one could be mentally sound and still benefit from therapy as well.

I don't think there's any reason to assume you know whether she is mentally sound or unsound - it's highly possible she is willfully ignoring the evidence against FC and genuinely believes she is communicating with this person. That does not in and of itself make her mentally incompetent to stand trial or even mentally ill as we understand the term. In fact it makes it more likely that she would 'fall in love' with other patients in the future, if she did believe the connection she felt was mutual. In this regard she is definitely a danger to others.

The fact that she kept contacting the family over and over again instead of counting herself lucky that they hadn't immediately contacted the police, and THEN tried to go around their back to see DJ secretly also proves that she would probably ignore any kind of restraining order and would continue to harass DJ and his family if she weren't physically separated from them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

She is just as a dangerous a man who believes that his victim really wanted it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
All of this F.C. talk reminded me of Attachment Therapy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_therapy

quote:

Candace Newmaker, 2000; a ten-year-old adopted girl who was killed by asphyxiation during a rebirthing session used as part of a two-week attachment therapy "intensive". The two attachment therapists, Connell Watkins (formerly of The Attachment Center, Evergreen) and Julie Ponder were each sentenced to 16 years imprisonment for their part in the therapy during which Candace was wrapped in blankets and required to struggle to be reborn, against the weight of several adults. Her inability to struggle out was interpreted as "resistance". Her adoptive mother and the "therapeutic foster parents" with whom she had been placed received lesser penalties. Watkins was released on parole in August 2008 after serving approximately 7 years of her sentence.

:eng101: Fun fact!

Nancy Thomas a former dog groomer with no therapeutic or otherwise relevant education works there. She is the woman who adopted "Child of Rage", Beth Thomas who also works in the Attachement Therapy bussiness... :eng99:

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

In your example of a person having a relationship with a rock, there is noone being sexually assaulted. The fact that there is a victim is the problem. If someone thinks they have relationships with objects, that doesn't make them crazy or unable to know right from wrong.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Infyrno posted:

In your example of a person having a relationship with a rock, there is noone being sexually assaulted. The fact that there is a victim is the problem. If someone thinks they have relationships with objects, that doesn't make them crazy or unable to know right from wrong.

But they still are viewing the rock as a person which you are taking for granite.

Whoa hey I never finished my ghost flight story whoops better fix that

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Other people have already said it, but you're making some fundamental errors here. For one thing, projection is not something mentally ill people do exclusively. We do it all the time. Rapists certainly do it to justify their actions - "your voice says no, but your eyes say yes." She wanted something to be true, and because she was subconsciously authoring his expressions, it became true. That's not mental illness. Her behavior was predatory and unethical, at the very least. Even if she believed these to be his thoughts, she took advantage of a vulnerable person to meet her own needs.

The other mistake is your comparing her victim to a rock. He is a human being who has a consciousness, even if it is that of a small child.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
He has the consciousness of an adult and 35 years of life as an adult. A developmentally disabled adult, yes, but an adult nonetheless.

He's not capable of consent. I'm not arguing he is. But please don't infantalise a grown man.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
You're right, my apologies.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Travis343 posted:

This is the heart of the issue. She isn't mentally ill, and basically all of us are susceptible to confirmation bias. Every person who believes in Ouija boards isn't unfit to stand trial, and that's literally exactly the same thing as this.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

painted bird posted:

He has the consciousness of an adult and 35 years of life as an adult. A developmentally disabled adult, yes, but an adult nonetheless.

He's not capable of consent. I'm not arguing he is. But please don't infantalise a grown man.

Uh, in this particular instance, DJ's capabilities seem literally on the level of an infant or a toddler. Obviously there's a potential for overly dismissing him as not human, but I'm having a hard time seeing how treating him as an infant/child is unfair.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
He has profound disabilities, yes. He cannot communicate effectively. But he has lived for three and a half decades and he has experienced them somehow or other and he has thoughts on them, whatever they may be, whatever complexity they may be, that an infant or a toddler would not have.

His comprehension, attention span, verbal and reasoning ability and so on have not been formally tested and the severity of his cerebral palsy prevents conclusive, rigorous tests of them, but at the very least, he has 35 years' worth of memories, even if he does not process them the way others would. That makes him objectively, quantitatively different to an infant, even if you do not accept the assertion that a grown man is qualitatively different from an infant, whatever the status of his brain.

Palate cleanser: Christy Brown was pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are we arguing the degree to which someone was raped because :catstare: