Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SunAndSpring posted:

Tell me more about this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Woah

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
are you a bad enough dude to sex up the president

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ah yes, Anjei Marama from the 2nd Edition book Dreams of the First Age, Lords of Creation. the authors include Alan Alexander, John Chambers, Michael Goodwin, Lydia Laurenson, Peter Schaefer, Dustin Shampel and John Snead.

At least one of these people, possible two, is blacklisted from ever working on Exalted 3rd Edition.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
How did anyone ever manage to read through those statblocks to find out this stuff though? That book could have included their credit card details in the middle of the entire pages of charms that characters had and nobody would have noticed.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Stallion Cabana posted:

Ah yes, Anjei Marama from the 2nd Edition book Dreams of the First Age, Lords of Creation. the authors include Alan Alexander, John Chambers, Michael Goodwin, Lydia Laurenson, Peter Schaefer, Dustin Shampel and John Snead.

At least one of these people, possible two, is blacklisted from ever working on Exalted 3rd Edition.

I hope it was for missing the Ride pun, fursonally.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

xiw posted:

How did anyone ever manage to read through those statblocks to find out this stuff though? That book could have included their credit card details in the middle of the entire pages of charms that characters had and nobody would have noticed.

Given how horrible Dreams is I am not convinced anyone read it at any point before it's release. They probably just got chapters and shoved them in with no regard for it.

Because remember, Dreams has a full Solar Circle, and each one of them has 3 pages purely devoted to their CHARMS. Not their statblocks, their stat lines, or anything else, which usually take up another page and a half to two pages. Just, Desus has 3 pages listing in alphabetical order all of his charms.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
I've always held Dreams in high regard, but must admit that I never got around to actually reading any of it, and that I base my liking mainly on the fact that it was a retro style boxed set with a very full box.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

bondetamp posted:

I've always held Dreams in high regard, but must admit that I never got around to actually reading any of it
I have a cardboard box full of books that I would be happy to sell you at a high price if you like

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I have a cardboard box full of books that I would be happy to sell you at a high price if you like

Sorry but I exclusively buy through Kickstarters now. It's the only channel I trust.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The statblocks are terrible, but they're kind of hilariously terrible in terms of how something so obviously useless got published. (I mean, alphabetical order, really?)

The thing that's really bad about Dreams NPCs is that they pretty much universally lack dignity, with Saibok Gauto as possibly the only exception. Everybody else is a cardboard cutout or otherwise prohibited from being a person you could respect.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Rand Brittain posted:

The statblocks are terrible, but they're kind of hilariously terrible in terms of how something so obviously useless got published. (I mean, alphabetical order, really?)

The thing that's really bad about Dreams NPCs is that they pretty much universally lack dignity, with Saibok Gauto as possibly the only exception. Everybody else is a cardboard cutout or otherwise prohibited from being a person you could respect.

I dunno, man. Saibok is true, but I think While The Ax Falls is similar, and you can't convince me they didn't want you supporting Salina and her 'teach everyone Sorcery!' ideals when the book spent most of her write-up gushing about how she made all these other Sorcerous teachers give up and join her because she was right. Most of the others though, yeah, just uniformly horrible people.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Stallion Cabana posted:

I dunno, man. Saibok is true, but I think While The Ax Falls is similar, and you can't convince me they didn't want you supporting Salina and her 'teach everyone Sorcery!' ideals when the book spent most of her write-up gushing about how she made all these other Sorcerous teachers give up and join her because she was right. Most of the others though, yeah, just uniformly horrible people.

Salina doesn't really have any dignity either, since she's presented in a way that makes her look like a complete fool (she's espousing "give everybody cosmic power without considering the consequences and trust that it will all work out" in a setting where that's not a winning genre strategy.

Community opinion of Salina definitely went down after this book came out.

(Note that having no dignity isn't the same as being awful—the problem with most of these Solars is that they're people you can't even respect as villains. One Solar is on the verge of falling into infernalism because demons are the only ones who appreciate his dancing. He's not a tragic opponent from an age of dreams, he's just sad.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Stallion Cabana posted:

Salina wanted to destroy hierarchy as a concept, and her convincing sorcerers Devon probably involved mind control charms more than any actually rightness.

I always assumed Salina was meant to be an example of how a Solar can have the best of intentions and still be absolutely terrifying.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I think it depends on what you think Dreams and kind of late 2E Exalted was trying to sell.

I've heard people say that Dreams was sold not on you being a Solar in the world of the First Age, but a Dragonblooded or even a Mortal, apparently something like Bubblegum Crisis, an Anime I know I never watched but have heard people reference as something that was supposed to be played in the Dreams First Age. In such a world, Salina can be a Solar, or even an Exalt, whose 'One of the Good Ones', who is trying to make everyone equal or whatever with Sorcery, OR as a person who is really just goddamn bonkers and will ruin the entire world if she gets her way as everyone starts solving disputes by using legions of mortals hurling nukes around.

Similarly, a late 2E idea came from this weird idea of 'Heroic' Exalted; not Exalted like Solars, but rather Mortals as the TRUE HEROES of Exalted, who would rise and overthrow all Exalted who were all uniformly oppressors (sometimes including Infernals and sometimes not), and take the world back. In this view, Salina can be an Exalted who is trying to help mortals, but is still utterly insane and in intense capability of loving something over, which is why they have to be overthrown in the first place; even their good ideas are just awful and more likely to kill everyone then save them. Or she can be an Exalt who sees the horror of her fellows and is empowering the TRUE HEROES to fight back.

The third view is just as an unlikable lunatic who is trying to do something that seems nice but will actually super terrify and have huge consequences on the world if she does it.

I think they are all possible, but I also don't know if there's any use arguing about it when I doubt she shows up again other then nebulously, and it's an argument about a dead edition.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I liked DotFA's setting book at least.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

GunnerJ posted:

I liked DotFA's setting book at least.

Setting was pretty cool in a lot of places; the Macro stuff with like the world wide AI Internet and stuff was whatever but a lot of the little districts were super duper fun and interesting

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Hah, your cut chopped off "Medicine (Postcoital Injuries +3)", the one I remembered. There's also her Infinite Fetish Ensemble dress artifact at the end of the write-up which belongs in the April Fools joke supplement.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Similarly, a late 2E idea came from this weird idea of 'Heroic' Exalted; not Exalted like Solars, but rather Mortals as the TRUE HEROES of Exalted...

This had to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen. And I've seen Postcoital Injuries +3.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

What (possibly unreleased) game am I supposed to watch the trainwreck of now? Exalted 3e is coming out, although I'm sure there'll be something to point and guffaw at even if the game is mostly good. Beast: the Primordial has been rewritten to be a merely boring game instead of just an offensive one. Making fun of Far West is beating the deadest of horses. There's not much more to say about DnD5e that hasn't already been said.

Cthulhutech 2e?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

bewilderment posted:

What (possibly unreleased) game am I supposed to watch the trainwreck of now? Exalted 3e is coming out, although I'm sure there'll be something to point and guffaw at even if the game is mostly good. Beast: the Primordial has been rewritten to be a merely boring game instead of just an offensive one. Making fun of Far West is beating the deadest of horses. There's not much more to say about DnD5e that hasn't already been said.

Cthulhutech 2e?

Pen and paper is dead, it's all about video games these days. So probably Star Citizen.

Edit: oh and while some think the initial AoS release might represent something of a peak for them, I'm still seeing GW as a strong buy from a long term comedy perspective

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 21, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

LGD posted:

Pen and paper is dead, it's all about video games these days. So probably Star Citizen.

Edit: oh and while some think the initial AoS release might represent something of a peak for them, I'm still seeing GW as a strong buy from a long term comedy perspective

There's always the possibility of AGE OF EMPRAH, though that'll lack the out of left field incredulity of AoS.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Cthulhutech 2e?

Find something useful to do other than having ill thoughts and obsessing about something failing ya dingus. For your health.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well crap, that one guy who was gonna run an Exalted game fell off the face of the Earth. And I spent all that time on my character sheet :( . Oh well, maybe someone will run a game when the PDF finally releases. Or maybe I should stop being a wuss and GM it myself.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

SunAndSpring posted:

Well crap, that one guy who was gonna run an Exalted game fell off the face of the Earth. And I spent all that time on my character sheet :( . Oh well, maybe someone will run a game when the PDF finally releases. Or maybe I should stop being a wuss and GM it myself.

Hoping for this as well. I'd be down for a dedicated game. After all this wait and expense, I have to get a game going on here. Should be an interesting read.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

SunAndSpring posted:

The game filled up within like 5 minutes.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I'm sure there will be quite a few Ex3 games coming out in the next few weeks if this thing pops out this week. They say it will, but you know deadlines are hard. So I imagine there will be enough initial hype that everyone will get to play in this new found perfection of Exalted RPG's.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I hope so the wait is driving me up a wall for the backer pdf.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

RIP

Bardlebee posted:

I'm sure there will be quite a few Ex3 games coming out in the next few weeks if this thing pops out this week. They say it will, but you know deadlines are hard. So I imagine there will be enough initial hype that everyone will get to play in this new found perfection of Exalted RPG's.

I'm aware of like five of them happening since the leaked PDFs got out. That's the second best part of the game being good, the first is The thread losing all the sadbrained retard idiots who kept posting here how lovely the game would be and how they would ironically buy and play the game they hate so much like SO MANY OF THE STUPIDEST MOTHERFUCKERS ON THIS FORUM

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

What game? I was talking about the one that NutritiousSnack guy was advertising here.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

SunAndSpring posted:

What game? I was talking about the one that NutritiousSnack guy was advertising here.

Oh, I assumed you meant nihnoz's since you asked him about it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm aware of like five of them happening since the leaked PDFs got out. That's the second best part of the game being good, the first is The thread losing all the sadbrained retard idiots who kept posting here how lovely the game would be and how they would ironically buy and play the game they hate so much like SO MANY OF THE STUPIDEST MOTHERFUCKERS ON THIS FORUM

Irony Dollars; The Same as Regular Dollars in all ways.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Irony Dollars; The Same as Regular Dollars in all ways.

The exchange rate is actually pretty good lately. In all seriousness I dropped quite a few dimes on this and I didn't bitch about the quality and actually didn't read the leak even though I have it. I'd rather not read an unfinished product.

I will read it, I may make a campaign of it and I love exalted. I said it. I like the game, maybe not the mechanics but the cool world it provides. I am hoping with the mechanics fixed (here is hoping) It'll be a stellar experience.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Ha ha. You are angry about Exalted. It is funny. Perhaps your "fee fees" are "rustled."

(ha ha)

I'm glad the drat thing seems to be finishing despite all the development turmoil. Now if they actually continue forwards and it's not all a giant turgid mess, I'll be impressed.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SunAndSpring posted:

I knew there was a reason I haven't gamed online in like 9 years.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Ha ha. You are angry about Exalted. It is funny. Perhaps your "fee fees" are "rustled."

(ha ha)

I'm glad the drat thing seems to be finishing despite all the development turmoil. Now if they actually continue forwards and it's not all a giant turgid mess, I'll be impressed.

Please do not cyberbully Plutonis :mad:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

I knew there was a reason I haven't gamed online in like 9 years.

I just wanted to play 2 games of Exalted in a week and then the guy disappears right as he was about to start the game :(

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SunAndSpring posted:

I just wanted to play 2 games of Exalted in a week and then the guy disappears right as he was about to start the game :(

This is the Great Curse at work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bedlamdan posted:

Please do not cyberbully Plutonis :mad:
Very well I will save my cybobullying for official OPP employees

cybertier
May 2, 2013
Holden on the OPP forums:

quote:

• I very strongly advise using normal chargen for the first game you run with the edition, or if you have any new players, rather than the advanced chargen.

Did I miss that when reading through or did they add an alternate ("advanced") char gen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009
Advanced chargen probably means starting as a character with more dots to throw around in chargen.

He's saying to start at level 1, not level 5.

• Locked thread